Packers cut defensive tackle Letroy Guion

Getty Images

The Packers held onto Letroy Guion longer than some teams would have.

But his pre-training camp DUI in Hawaii was apparently an eventual last straw.

The Packers announced they released the veteran defensive tackle Tuesday.

He was already suspended the first four games of the 2017 regular season for a PED violation, and that will carry over if he finds another team. He had previously been suspended three games in 2015 for violating the substance abuse policy.

He’s been a productive player when eligible, starting 15 games for the Packers last year. But the growing list of off-field issues (the DUI will likely lead to another suspension) apparently became more than the Packers could tolerate.

81 responses to “Packers cut defensive tackle Letroy Guion

1. Sorry to see him go. He has had some issues and those apparently led to his release. One’s biggest ability is availability. I hope you can get your demons controlled. Good luck Mr. Guion.

2. But his pre-training camp DUI in Hawaii was apparently an eventual last straw.
    —-
    No no no, they have ignored this type of behavior from Letroy in the past. They cut him now because he cut in front of McCarthy in the team lunch buffet line.

3. I don’t think all of his arrests and suspensions caused the Packers to cut him because they have many, many players on their team that get arrested and suspended. I think they just finally figured out that he isn’t that good of a player, which the Vikings figured out years ago when they cut him and the Packers snatched him up.

4. Before the Pack faithful chime in with, “the Vikes will sign another Pack castoff!”, wake up and remember that the dude is actually a Vikes castoff that moved East. Ya know, to a place where he could make the roster.

5. Guion’s rapsheet looks like something that you would have on your resume if you wanted to be signed by The Bengals.

6. They should’ve cut him long ago (as in years ago). He is not Packer people.
    They will be fine without him. Jean-Francois is better than him, and young players will be.
    Teams have tried to remove Viking stains before, it just doesn’t work.

7. It is about time that teams start raising the bar of what is tolerable for player misconduct. There is no right to be in the NFL and outside of a parking or speeding (non-reckless driving) ticket, any other violations of the law should be subject to a year long suspension – and in the case of rookies, a pattern of behavior should prevent them from being drafted out of college with a one year waiting period to see if they’ve learned jack about how to be a decent human being.

I don’t care if this is tough or hits minorities hard (after all, they are disproportionately over represented so of course they’d get dinged more frequently).

It is time to put professional back into this game.

8. It’s a shame that he couldn’t get his act together — the Pack gave him plenty of chances. He didn’t have those problems with the Vikes, but the lack of grey matter upstairs was clear. He’s the classic example of family members leeching off him and hangers-on screwing him up more. I guaranty we’ll be reading about his bankruptcy filing within the next 10 years. Can’t blame this on the Pack.

9. filthymcnasty3 says:

August 8, 2017 at 1:53 pm

You can always count on the Packers to do the right thing.

Unlike some hapless and tasteless teams.
    ————-
    Come on now!!
    Caught and arrested with a loaded gun, $200k in cash, and illegal drugs.
    Suspended for substance abuse in 2015.
    Suspended for PED’s in 2017.
    DWI in 2017.
    I think it’s high time (pun intended) that the Packer fans stop acting like their team is any different than any other team in the NFL. I’m actually embarrassed for your fan base.

10. f1restarter says:
    August 8, 2017 at 2:18 pm
    About time.

What were the Packers thinking of, signing an ex-Viking in the first place?
    —-
    Packers wants to win which is why they signed an ex Viking

Funny, Letroy never had these kinds of off the field problems until he joined Green Bay.

Its like everyone says, something weird happens when you wear yellow and green.

11. iejdaniel says:
    August 8, 2017 at 1:59 pm

/\ That there is rich…..remind me again how talented that Vikes roster is when you guys are down 38-3 at the half on December 23rd. Oh….and rehash the last dozen or so MN to GB vs. GB to MN transactions…..wait, I forgot you doorknobs can’t flipping count over there either.

12. packsupersoldier says:

August 8, 2017 at 2:07 pm

They were able to cut him because young guys like Clark and Lowry have upgraded the defensive line. Now he can go back home to the land of the Love Boat.

—————-
    Better the boat than his cousins room

13. It’s about time. As a Packers fan, I was very disappointed they waited this long to cut him. He cares about two things — getting high and getting high!!
    Goodbye Letroy, don’t let the door in you in the butt on the way out!

14. h0metownzero says:
    August 8, 2017 at 2:39 pm
    Maybe he could help out the 20th ranked Vikings. They love our rejects.
    ———————–
    Exhibit A of the failure of the Wisconsin educational system.

15. He wasn’t a terrible player after he got some decent coaching in Green Bay. His law problems are obvious but what is not mentioned is the fact that his play steadily declined last year as the season wore on. At another year older and missing 4 games of this new season, the Packers probably figured that he wouldn’t add much to the roster in the latter part of the year.

The Packers put a huge premium on players that can compete as the games become more important. If Guion is just going to fold like a $2 suitcase, he should return to his former team where that sort of thing is expected.

16. cheeseisfattening says:
    August 8, 2017 at 1:55 pm
    But his pre-training camp DUI in Hawaii was apparently an eventual last straw.
    —-

/////////////

This is a really, really, really, really, really, really funny post. Very, very, very funny post. You keep getting us Packers fans with your sharp, sharp, sharp wit.

17. h0metownzero says:
    August 8, 2017 at 2:39 pm
    Maybe he could help out the 20th ranked Vikings. They love our rejects.
    ——————-
    I would call this willfully ignorant… unfortunately I think you are actually trying your best.

18. The Phantom Stranger says:
    August 8, 2017 at 1:55 pm

________________________________________________________________________

Right. Because your team never picks up any ex-Packers. It’s okay. We all got to see Favre throw away the ’09 NFC title game, during his Ted Revenge Epic Fail Tour, and then got to watch Aaron Rodgers hoist the Lombardi trophy, one year later. LOL, just awesome. Couldn’t make it up if I tried.

19. Even with the auto-notifications going off all over Minnesota because a Packer story came out, I’m surprised the trolls have shown up. I mean, why is it necessary? The Vikings have it all wrapped up. The off-season predictions from Viking fans for a guaranteed hometown-host SuperBowl winner have been around since their 5-0 start last year. I’ve never read so many confident boasts for a guaranteed SuperBowl victory as I have from Viking fans this year. Why would they bother commenting on the Packers at all? It would seem such a waste of time, under those guaranteed conditions.

20. 7 out of the first 10 comments from Vikings trolls. And yet, they’re the team with the history so laughable. You’d think they’d keep their yappers shut. But nope.

#ItMustBeSummerAgain
    #PreseasonPaperChamps
    #TheyllBeGoneByOctober
    #RealFootballTeamsPlayInJanuary

21. I’m sure the vikings will welcome him back with open arms, now that he “fits the mold” of a typical viking player.

22. filthymcnasty3 says:
    August 8, 2017 at 1:53 pm
    You can always count on the Packers to do the right thing.
    _______

Eventually, I guess. After years and years and years go by.

23. He blew a .086 on Vacation…..I’m sure most people who commented have driven on Vacation in a much worse state.

This is strange and to call a .086 @ 320lbs a dui is freaking laughable.

24. Even with the auto-notifications going off all over Minnesota because a Packer story came out, I’m surprised the trolls have shown up.
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////

get with the times man!!!

25. stellarperformance says:
    August 8, 2017 at 3:25 pm
    _________

I would love it if you could cite just one comment from a Viking fan that seriously guaranteed a Super Bowl victory. I’m here almost as often as you and I haven’t seen one.

Meanwhile, I see plenty of Packer fans predicting Super Bowl victories and third-place finishes for the Vikings. Even your own team president is guaranteeing a Super Bowl.

The hypocrisy is sickening.

26. I’m surprised it took them this long to cut him loose. You can’t help your team if you constantly getting suspended. Too bad because Guion has talent, but obviously lacks the self-discipline needed.

27. after being embarrassed in Atlanta maybe all the packers could learn something from this??
    ——
    How’d your team do in the playoffs there troll boy? So surreal to see fans of the most arrested team in the league (since the turn of the century) in here throwing stones at the Packers. Awareness is not a quality many Viking fans possess apparently.

28. Packers front isn’t looking all that great this year, Paired with the problems the Pack has in the secondary with their pass defense teams are going to shred the GB Defense this season, A-ROD and CO. are gonna have to put up a lot of points to win games consistently.

29. Is there a worse group of trolls on Pft than ariani, phantom and contra? You guys post way more on packer stories than Viking stories. Get a life fellas.

30. So where is all the hand wringing regarding the Packers holding on to this criminal for so long like there are every time a cowboys player gets a speeding ticket?

31. Because everyone deserves to be fired form their jub for a DUI…. smh lol idiots.
    =====

Lawyer up.

Win in court.

… or simply obey the law of the land and you wouldn’t have been fired in the first place.

32. bhuettl says:
    August 8, 2017 at 1:54 pm

Sorry to see him go??? Are you kidding???? The guy is an average DT at best and he’s had three incidents which should have gotten him cut long before this.
    I’ll state the truth about Guion — he’s dumber than a box of rocks. To jeopardize playing in the NFL because he cares more about getting high is just plain stupid.
    I don’t want to hear anyone express sympathy for him. There a lot of good football players who get cut who could probably learn to play in the NFL if they were given the chance, but they don’t get that chance. And yet teams are willing to keep dopes like Guion. It makes me angry. Especially because I’m a Packers fan and they kept this idiot around far too long.
    I hope Guion disappears off the face of the earth and is never heard from again. And I hope the Packers sign a street free agent who doesn’t do this crap and he makes their team.

33. The Phantom Stranger says:
    August 8, 2017 at 3:46 pm
    ////////////////////////////////////

I think we’d all love it if we could cite just one serious comment from any Viking fan.

Let’s start there, shall we?

34. Tricky Rick will sign him back to Minnesota. They think he can do more than the 2 tackles and no sacks Joseph had against them in their last game with the Packers.

35. The Phantom Stranger says:
    August 8, 2017 at 1:55 pm

———-

Google “NFL teams with most arrests” You’ll be happy to learn that your team is finally first in something.

36. aypeeswhippingstick says:

Thanks for finally taking out this Viking trash.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Your GM signed him 3 times after the Vikings let him go.

In 2014, Ted signed him for a total of $985,000.

In March of 2015, Ted signed him again for a $2.75 million plus $500,000 in incentives.

And then in February of 2016, TT signed him for a third time.

It took until August for Ted to cut him.

I think that says a lot about the Green Bay Packers…

37. stellarperformance says:
    August 8, 2017 at 4:17 pm
    The Phantom Stranger says:
    August 8, 2017 at 3:46 pm
    ////////////////////////////////////

Let’s start there, shall we?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

For someone that has proven to be incapable of making a serious comment, that statement of your’s is quite ironic.

38. The Phantom Stranger says:
    August 8, 2017 at 1:55 pm
    //////////////////

You are correct. Remember the year they hosted the Love Boat…oh wait…

39. I like this move. I like mostly how he played for us. After his last 2 issues at least they had him in and saw that he could still play and they hopefully will continue to help him in his rehabilitation. Cutting him gives all the new guys reps and knowledge that a permanent spot might still be there if they perform. He will be sitting out there for the first month and if a bunch of injuries occur he could be re-signed and might still help the team out. Otherwise hopefully he will get his sst together and get on with life.

40. You forgot codythao.
    ——
    Totally did. He was MIA for awhile but seems to be back with an incoherent vengeance!

41. stellarperformance says:
    August 8, 2017 at 4:17 pm
    The Phantom Stranger says:
    August 8, 2017 at 3:46 pm
    ////////////////////////////////////

Let’s start there, shall we?
    _________

I guess that answers that question.

42. Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    August 8, 2017 at 5:09 pm

In the last year?

Green Bay, Dallas, LA Rams, New York Jets, Seattle – all tied for first place with THREE.

Congrats guys! You really have the high road here.

43. I don’t think all of his arrests and suspensions caused the Packers to cut him because they have many, many players on their team that get arrested and suspended.

____________________________________________________________________________________

This is so ridiculous, it’s not even worth commenting on. Let’s just say that lies always lead to more lies…..

44. Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    August 8, 2017 at 5:09 pm

_______

Yes, given an arbitrary starting date of 2000. I noticed that the Vikings haven’t had anyone arrested in the last three years, whereas the Packers have had five players arrested in that time. But Packer fans never like to talk about recent history, do they?

45. i heard that guion was ruining the packers offensive practices at training camp by not jumping offside and giving the offense a free play. That, along with phantom PI calls is the offensive playbook.

46. I like this move. I like mostly how he played for us. After his last 2 issues at least they had him in and saw that he could still play and they hopefully will continue to help him in his rehabilitation. Cutting him gives all the new guys reps and knowledge that a permanent spot might still be there if they perform. He will be sitting out there for the first month and if a bunch of injuries occur he could be re-signed and might still help the team out. Otherwise hopefully he will get his act together and get on with life.

47. Dude the Vikings D-Line is sick. The Pack? Not so much. We are gonna run right through you this year.

Don’t get me wrong, I hate the Packers, but this was a smart move. Even if he was their best lineman he can’t be screwing up like this, as much as I hate them I still respect the heck outta the Packers organization, without them the NFC North would suck.

For as much trash as our fanbases talk about eachother, it’s still the most heated rivalry in the NFL(ever read the comments on PFT?!?) one rivalry I’m proud to be apart of.

Let’s go Sconnies, we are ready for battle.

48. wafflestomp says:

Nothing warms my heart more than seeing the Barneys green with envy.
    Make that Green and Gold with envy!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You’re the one that’s GREEN with envy.

Ever since the Vikings first unseated the Packers as the Central division champs, the Packer fans have had to look up at the Vikings in the standings more often than not.

You’d have to win the next 5 championships in a row (something the Packers have never done) just to tie the Vikings.

And that drives you crazy.