Malcolm Jenkins continues his own anthem protest

Getty Images

If Colin Kaepernick ever ends up back in the NFL, he’s already sent word he won’t be protesting.

But one of his biggest supporters in the league — who does have a job playing football — continued making his own statement last night.

According to Tim McManus of ESPN.com, Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins continued his silent protest, raising his fist during the national anthem prior to his game against the Packers.

Jenkins began raising his fist early last season, after Kaepernick created a firestorm by sitting and then taking a knee during the anthem, to protest unfair treatment of minorities by police.

Jenkins has hailed the move as “genius,” and attacked owners who won’t sign Kaepernick because of potential fan backlash as “cowards.”

So it shouldn’t be a surprise that he said he plans to continue the gesture throughout the season.

“Last season, I raised my fist as a sign of solidarity to support people, especially people of color, who were and are still unjustly losing their lives at the hands of officers with little to no consequence. After spending time with police officers on ride-alongs, meeting with politicians on the state and federal level and grass roots organizations fighting for human rights, it’s clear that our criminal justice system is still crippling communities of color through mass incarceration,” Jenkins said in a statement. “With the new call for a war on crime and drugs, the disproportionate oppression of poor communities and communities of color will continue unless legislative efforts and community engagement are made a priority. I’ve seen signs of life with regards to bipartisan support for criminal justice reform, but the support does not reflect the necessary urgency for real reform. This must be made a priority.

“As the blowback against those who stand up for what is right thickens, I feel it is necessary to push forward with a relentless determination. I want to send a message that we will not easily be moved or deterred from fighting for justice. There are many players across the league who have joined me in working toward new legislation and reestablishing trust and opportunities in our communities, and you can expect to see much more of that. I want to thank the fans across the country who have supported me in this effort to fight for equality and justice. I want to thank those that have dedicated their lives to this fight, as I know that it is not easy. And I want to challenge those who stay silent to be courageous and use your platforms to become part of the solution. God Bless.”

Jenkins has been one of the more politically active players in the league, meeting with both local and national politicians about the topic, including an offseason trip to Washington to meet with House Speaker Paul Ryan along with other NFL players.

106 responses to “Malcolm Jenkins continues his own anthem protest

1. I’m an Eagles fan and I love Malcolm’s play. But I pretty much ignore everything else, as anything Kaep-related immediately causes my eyes to divert.

2. Similar message as Kaep, but why do I feel like this guy is more intelligent, informed, and dedicated? This is a much more respectful way to protest and spread awareness than pig socks, a castro shirt, and slavery tweets.

Well done, Jenkins.

3. So there is as least one guy still protesting and he still plays in the NFL. Maybe people will now admit that Kaep is not being blackballed because of his protest. Kaep is being blackballed because Kaep is not a good NFL QB and he wants far too much compensation for his declining skills

4. You haters of the Kaepernick’s, Jenkin’s or anyone’s constitutional right to free speech and expression that YOU don’t expressly agree with, didn’t learn a thing in civics class! About 99% of the regular contributors to this site don’t seem to get that, but you’re ok with a racist, “birther” Hank William’s Jr. returning to do the MNF opening. Stop trying to veil your comments about these Kaepernick exercising his civil rights in something other than the utter selective “patriotism” that you exercise. You should all be ashamed of yourselves!

5. Go to Chicago and tell the blacks to stop shooting each other!! More importantly… start preaching “stay in (High) school” and get yourself out of the freakin bad neighborhood afterwards. Oh, and “use birth control” and “dads….support your kids!”

That’s some protesting I’d get behind all day long.

6. Good for him expressing his first amendment rights. I could find a point of disagreement with every person on this planet. As long as they are expressing themselves peacefully, it is not my place to judge them.

7. nhpats says:
    August 11, 2017 at 10:44 am
    “Kaep is not a good NFL QB and he wants far too much compensation…”

==========================

How much exactly does he want?

8. Agree with him or not, this is exactly why Jenkins has a job and Kaepernick doesn’t.
    Jenkins has his beliefs and he’s actually doing something about it. He went out and educated himself on the situation and everything he has said or done is based on what he has learned…from both sides! I don’t agree with everything he says, but I’m also not as informed as him. I’m a white dude from the suburbs whose also the son of a cop. So my opinion matters about as much as Colin Kaepernick’s. Colin Kaepernick didn’t even exercise his right to vote! But as all of his supporters have argued, Kaepernick exercised his “right” to free speech. That “right” comes with consequences! It’s HOW you go about exercising that right that determines how useful or detrimental it is. Jenkins is proof of that.

9. SO they both protested, but one of them isn’t playing…I wonder if there could be another reason why that is…

10. The NFL should not allow their brand to be a platform for players or anybody to demonstrate in any way, social or political grievances. They are “using” the NFL and should automatically be suspended one game and one game check for each display. The NFL is not a public forum and the longer they don’t clamp down the worse it will get.

11. There is a time and a place for everything. This is not the time, nor the place. Play the game, and cash your huge paychecks, but leave your politics at the damn door. There is far too much of it going on everywhere else

12. Before uninformed people start chirping about the justice system picking on people of color look at the facts…a large number of those incarcerations come from cities like Philly and DC and Chicago and Detroit where the “people of color” represent and large portion of the population and, you know, commit lots of crime. It is a fact conveniently overlooked in this debate. When athletes start standing up for these communities taking responsibility for that I will have some respect for them.

13. The liberal policies that have destroyed inner cities and decimated the black family/community is what needs to change. But geniuses like Jenkins think more government running people’s lives is the answer. Useful idiot is what liberal politicians call guys like him.

14. bobsacamano2 says:
    August 11, 2017 at 10:38 am

Well done, Jenkins.

How about not “well done” and not intelligent, informed, and dedicated. This is pretty much the same crapola that cost Kaepernick his job. Football fans use the NFL as entertainment to “escape” the stresses and pressures of LIFE, not to be exposed to politics or social activism, there’s a time and venue for those subjects and pro football games are neither.

15. whyaskwhy46 says:
    August 11, 2017 at 11:05 am
    ——————————————————————–
    lol..well stated!

16. With the new call for a war on crime and drugs, the disproportionate oppression of poor communities and communities of color will continue”

Dont break the law dumbass!

17. If all of these police officers are involved in bad shootings….why are juries of their peirs finding them not guilty….I know the fix is in….Jenkins swallowed a dictionary while obtaining his locker room lawyer degree….

18. Would have never done this in New Orleans, he would be shipped out the next day. These people are SO mis informed, people turn off the mainstream media and think for yourselves.

19. Raising a fist like this is one of the most outrageous and offensive racist actions a black person can take. I don’t have to explain this. As a white person, this is worse than calling a black person an “n”. This is so vile, so violent in intent, and so threatening as to result in a lifetime ban from any sport.

This is a racist action like no other. Book it.

20. Good for you–do it on your own time, not on the NFL stage. You are being paid exorbitant amounts of money to be an employee of the NFL. Don’t use your employer’s forum to express your political viewpoints, particularly if your expressions are offensive to veterans.

21. Why do people keep saying kaep is asking for too much money? How much is he asking for? I havent heard any of his contract demands. I know he turned down 14mil in sf so must not be ALL about the money. And i think its a stretch to say jenkins is “acting up”. Lol yea im referring to u, Charger. Thats probably the same attitude all these cops have. Dude is quietly protesting but supposedly hes “acting up”.

22. It’s not the color, it’s the culture. If I’m an officer of the law and I see a black male with his pants down low (called “jailing”) to indicate the prison system took their belt, or an out of style single pant leg up (indicates they’re buying/ selling dope depending on which leg), or certain tattooes indicating they’ve killed someone…I’m going to give them extra attention. Just like if I saw this guy walking down the street with pads and a helmet..I’d assume he was a football player.

23. Maybe he should focus more on the behavior of the black community in America instead of blaming the cops for simply doing their jobs. Is it the cops fault blacks are FAR more likely to drop out of high school, have kids as teenagers and shoot each other at rates dramatically higher than any other demographic?

24. Raising your fist doesn’t do diddly poo. Same as disrespectfully taking a knee. Quit the NFL and take up social work and maybe I’ll respect you a tiny bit. Until then just be grateful you made it to the NFL.

25. I would love to have these guys come to my police force. I’d be glad to put them through shoot/don’t shoot scenarios and see how many times they shoot an innocent person or get killed. Maybe then they’ll have a new respect for the tough choices officers have to make in a split second. We can tape it for the world to see.

26. And he can continue to protest in an NFL uniform as long as his contribution on the field exceeds the negative publicity he brings to his team. When that is not the case he will join KC in the unemployment line. Simple basics of business for them or any of us other people. It’s a business STUPID!!

27. All these SJW’s protesting everywhere, why aren’t they in Chicago where blacks are killing blacks all day everyday?

And how come the “Reverends” aren’t in Chicago, because there’s no money in it?

28. I would say raising a fist isn’t nearly as bad as kneeling. But ultimately, we shouldn’t care about either one. They’re not changing anything, they’re just dividing people.

29. LOL!
    So many saying no politics in sports yet this will be the highest commented article until the next political article is written. No one is forcing you to click the article so that you can read the comments or leave on for yourself. I feel people say they hate talking politics but yet people can’t seem to help themselves.

And I’m not talking politics. I’m just talking about my observations of what people say and what they actually do are often very different from each other. Lots of Do as I say, not as I do mentalities. Sort of a “I wish everyone except me would stop talking politics.” fantasy.

30. hardheadedrb says:

August 11, 2017 at 10:56 am

That’s some protesting I’d get behind all day long.

Messages like this are allowed but my non-racist non-stereotypically based rhetoric often gets deleted? “the blacks” “stay in high school” “dads support your kids” Smh, I just love how these commenters hide behind keyboards and post whatever they can think up in sister/cousin/wife’s trailer in West Virginia. I would like to see just one of you come from behind the screen and have a real conversation like a man. I honestly do not care if you support or do not support the protests, Donald duck, or America, but share your rationale with facts and non-biased information otherwise your words on pft are meaningless childish rants for likes.

31. “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

If the dictates of a player’s conscience lead him to protest then the raised fist of solidarity is far more appropriate than disrespecting the flag and the service men and women that present it at games. As opposed to Kaepernick, Jenkins comments are at least reasonable and considered, he probably wasn’t wearing a Castro shirt when he made them either. It’s also likely he wasn’t wearing pig socks when he went on his ride alongs. I As for all the people ripping him for following the dictates of his conscience, have you considered respecting the ideals that flag really stands for? Nationalism isn’t patriotism in fact sometimes it is the exact opposite.

32. Google literally celebrates the fact they will fire anyone who doesn’t conform to regressive left wing orthodoxy while Fidel Kaepernick apologists cry about how unjust it is NFL owners won’t subject their fans to his social justice nonsense. The level of hypocrisy from the mentally ill political left in this country is staggering.

33. After spending time with police officers on ride-alongs, meeting with politicians on the state and federal level and grass roots organizations fighting for human rights, it’s clear that our criminal justice system is still crippling communities of color through mass incarceration,” Jenkins said in a statement.

Cause and effect, get them straight. Are you looking in a mirror? You may have this backwards.

34. “Last season, I raised my fist as a sign of solidarity to support people, especially people of color…”

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the raised fist was a symbol of the Black Panther movement. If that is the case then I will leave it up to other people to decide whether that group is non violent or not and also for the solidarity to support all people, or just people of color.

35. Per Washington Post Database on Police Shootings in the USA:

Number of Unarmed Men killed by Police in 2015:
    Black- 36
    White- 31

2016:
    Black- 16
    White- 20

2017:
    Black- 7
    White- 10

This whole narrative of police killing black people in the streets indiscriminately is nonsense and Malcolm Jenkins has no clue that his protest (and Kaepernick’s for that matter) is based on garbage rhetoric by Black Lives Matter.

36. vonvoghoul says:
    August 11, 2017 at 11:20 am
    It’s not the color, it’s the culture.

One MILLION thumbs up.

The good people of color who work, stay with and take care of their families, live clean and sober lifestyles and contribute to the greater good in this country should agree. As it is in all other racial demographics, there are those who are a load on society and those who contribute to society. No one should be lumped in because of skin color.

37. People are not oppressed they chose to be oppressed because they are lazy and want a quick way to make money. I have know African Americans like this and White people like this crime and laziness knows no color believe me!!!

38. tjacks7 says:

August 11, 2017 at 11:29 am

Psychological studies show that white males are significantly statistically more likely to shoot black victims than white perpetrators in that same scenario. nice try though

39. Why don’t these guys use that NFL money to create a charity to support minority families negatively affected by police brutality? I can guarantee you that such a specific cause will get people talking just as much if not moreso than stupid national anthem “protests” while also actually doing some good.

40. these guys Kaepernick and Jenkins don’t care about those folks. if they did the would be in East St Louis railing against the cops or in DC or Phillie not hiding at the end of the bench hidden by most the large players on the team .. Keapernnick was creating a racial situation in SF so they wouldn’t start Gabbert over him and his guaranteed contract

41. cheetasnevaprospa says:
    August 11, 2017 at 11:16 am
    So many white American PFT commenter are in denial about the widespread denial of civil rights by police in this country.

Please send over the link to that app that allows one to see the color of a person commenting.

There is plenty of documented evidence of police wrongdoing, as there is wrongdoing in the black, and every other community. Sadly you have a myopic perspective. Please, explain how it is that so many more whites have their civil rights violated yet we never seem to hear about it TV?

42. Who the heck is giving my STATISTICS-BASED comment a thumbs down?

State your username and counter my FACTS-BASED evidence good sirs!

43. sbc2556 says:
    August 11, 2017 at 10:51 am

———–

Why do you believe an employee has any “right” to protest or otherwise express his personal views on any matter not associated with his job while he is working? Why don’t you try and stage a protest at your job that proves to be a distraction to your company’s core business and see how long your employment lasts…..

44. parasol monster says:
    August 11, 2017 at 10:36 am
    “I’ll say this, though: at least it sounds like he’s being active with the issue and not sitting (kneeling) idly in a quest for attention.”

This is the difference between Jenkins and Colin SackOrPick… Malcolm is actually going to DC to have his voice heard and trying to get politicians to notice his voice.
    All SackOrPick is doing is kneeling and wearing Castro tshirts! Not to mention his family is whiter than a pack of polar bears!

45. …..takes a stand for the few deaths of blacks at the hands of police.
    …..says nothing about the ambush of innocent white cops by black men.
    …… does absolutely nothing about the black on black crime plaguing the black community.

Malcome Jenkins. Confusing social justice with inverted racism since 2016.

46. Ken says:
    August 11, 2017 at 12:10 pm
    Who the heck is giving my STATISTICS-BASED comment a thumbs down?

State your username and counter my FACTS-BASED evidence good sirs!

I didn’t vote either way but I do question your #s. I can’t find the #s you used in the report. It’s true that more whites are killed but some will hang their hat on the percentages since that bolsters their position. They do not however consider the cause of the shooting so the percentages are in fact meaningless since we don’t know the circumstance, only the result. This allows certain agendas to work backwards to support their assertion.

47. Hey, Malcolm, what about the many people, especially “people of color” that are losing their lives at the hands of other “people of color”? This number is magnitudes greater than those being killed by cops. Why no “protest” of them?

48. jonathankrobinson424 says:
    August 11, 2017 at 10:40 am
    it’s clear that our criminal justice system is still crippling communities of color through mass incarceration,” ….How about NOT breaking the LAWs !!!
    ________________________________________________
    As many 40,000 people arrested, convicted and imprisoned in Suffolk County (MA) on falsified evidence at the behest of the Suffolk County District Attorney and the Massachusetts State Police… 40,000! My guess is they weren’t hanging out on Beacon Hill….
    The 1 fall guy/girl (Annie Dookan) did or is doing 3 years in prison. 40,000 fathers makes a lot of single parent households wouldn’t you agree? Or are We guilty in the womb?

49. Honestly can’t believe the complete ignorance of the general public. This isn’t about the troops and it’s not about hating police. It’s about accountability for the police and trying to right the wrongs in the communities of color.

Everyone immediately has venom for guys like Jenkins without actually listening to the man. God forbid somebody makes us think about the everyday struggles for people/communities of color. We’ve worked hard to make a bubble for ourselves so we don’t have to deal with stuff that makes us uncomfortable.

I hope he does this forever

50. Where was Jenkins protest when Tebow was blackballed? Hmm I wonder what the difference could be b/w the idiot liberal dictator-loving QB and Tebow?
    OH I get it, one is black, hence the support from Jenkins, and the other is white, whence the absolute silence from all black players.

51. dcpatfan: Please provide evidence for the claim that A) 40,000 people in Suffolk County were all arrested on bogus charges and sent to prison and B) that there is a nationwide “falsified evidence” epidemic that accounts for the high incarceration rates of blacks.
    Your left wing anti-police slogans may sound good at a violent anti-fa rally but here in the real world claims have to be demonstrated by evidence. I’m all years Fidel.

52. You haters of the Kaepernick’s, Jenkin’s or anyone’s constitutional right to free speech and expression that YOU don’t expressly agree with, didn’t learn a thing in civics class! About 99% of the regular contributors to this site don’t seem to get that, but you’re ok with a racist, “birther” Hank William’s Jr. returning to do the MNF opening. Stop trying to veil your comments about these Kaepernick exercising his civil rights in something other than the utter selective “patriotism” that you exercise. You should all be ashamed of yourselves!

————–

Why is racism just a one way street. If you’re white your a racist. Sure Hank said some dumb stuff are you suggested that color westerners don’t say bad things or racist comments about white people. Yes white people are racist, yes black people are also racist. When people stop pointing the finger and look at their own side maybe issues will get resolve. But that will never happen, for blacks it’s white peoples fault and for white people it’s black peoples fault.

Kap is a fraud from what i’m reading at least Jenkins is putting in work behind his cause and belief which i do applaud.

53. sbc2556 says:

August 11, 2017 at 10:51 am

=============

So let me get this straight. He has the right to protest but we don’t have the right to be outraged about it? Yeah that makes sense. Sorry but you can’t have it both way so you should be ashamed of yourself for trying to take away our right to free speech Funny how that works huh?

54. dcpatfan: “Massachusetts dropped more than 21,000 low-level drug criminal charges involving Dookhan.”

I thought you said 40,000 people were falsely convicted? Are you lying or just misinformed? These were also low level criminal charges so very few, if any of these people did prison time. There are also no records of the race of the suspects. Regardless, so are you making the absurd claim that Annie Dookhan is why there are such high black incarceration rates? As with most of anti-cop claims, one needs to do little more than scratch the surface to figure out how full of horse manure they are.

55. Is Malcolm Jenkins a moron because you can’t relate to what he is saying, and it confuses you because you’ve never shared similar experiences? If so just say so.

56. Also many of these athletes take part in community efforts to decrease “gang violence” and black-on-black crime, so any argument regarding that is null and void. Please come from an informed place when you make a comment.

57. @themalito

I said the estimates are “as many as 40,000” by some estimates because the investigation did not proceed into the red flags the State Police ignored before 2011. These were convictions, 21,000 possibly as many as 40,000 of them. I don’t care if little jail time was involved.

58. I support his actions because as a black man we are subject to anything that officials in charge can do and face little or no repercussions for their actions. If the circumstances were reverse d then the story changes. Right on to a brother for speaking up and protesting. To those who are Eagles fan that don’t support him oh well he is going to be paid with or without you.

59. dcpatfan: So were supposed to draw a nationwide conclusion on crime statistics based on one person in Massachusetts in which the person responsible was caught, tried and convicted? Now you are talking about you don’t care if little jail time was involved but before you claimed this particular incident created single parent families. huh?? Your ignorant comments are exactly why you don’t draw large scale conclusions from anecdotal evidence. Additionally, the race of the suspects was not mentioned and of those 40,000 they combed through they only found 21,000 to be problematic. And the number of judgments that were actually over turned was even fewer but hey, don’t let the facts get in the way of your self righteous anti-cop rant.

60. So the war on crime and drugs oppresses black people? Should crime and drugs be legal then?

I guess I just don’t get why people in the inner city HAVE to commit crime or use/deal drugs. They can get jobs if idle time is an excuse, are they going to start out with some high paying gig? Nope but neither does anybody else. Just don’t see why they seem to think this is the only answer. It’s really just an excuse because they want that quick “paper”.

61. Thoughts and prayers out to all the families of police officers who lost their lives this year protecting people, not colors.

62. The narrative that cops target blacks is lie. About 26% of police shootings involve black people. While it is true that blacks make up only 13% of the population, they account for over 28% of all violent crime including between 47%-52% of all murders so you would expect more black people to be shot by law enforcement.

BLM and rioting are destroying black communities. Do you really think after witnessing Ferguson and Baltimore that large corporations are going to invest in black majority communities? The business risk and insurance costs would be to high, civil disorder is NOT covered under a standard policy.

But who cares about facts.

63. Lemmy Aksyadis says:
    August 11, 2017 at 12:35 pm

“I didn’t vote either way but I do question your #s. I can’t find the #s you used in the report.”

Seriously? I literally gave you the name of the source and the specific data points. OMG…

1. Google “Washington Post Police Shooting Database”
    2. Go to Washington Post link.
    3. Pick the year you want to view.
    4. Set the filters to [Gender: Male, Race: (Whatever one you want), Weapon: unarmed].
    5. See results- with names and summaties included.
    6. Stop listening to Colin Kaepernick.
    7. Stop falling for BLM and MSM race baiting BS.

There you go. You are welcome.

64. Yeah…they should treat all those rich Caucasians shooting each other up exactly the same. Those affluent communities are so riddled with crime, drugs, and prostitution, that I can see exactly why people think the scales of justice are skewed.

How many people were shot in Chicago this weekend again? And how many in the Hamptons? Yeah…

65. Those affluent communities are definitely riddled with white-collar crime, drugs and prostitution, just in a different form. Grew up in one and can tell you that as a fact.