Kirk Cousins: I want to remain with one team my entire career

Getty Images

Washington quarterback Kirk Cousins is set to become a free agent seven months, but he says he’s not looking to sign with another team.

Cousins told Sal Paolantonio of ESPN that he loves playing where he is and hopes to remain where he is for life.

“I would love to be . . . a Redskin the rest of my career,” Cousins said. “When you look at the best of the best, those quarterbacks played with one team. And if you point to a couple guys who didn’t, who changed teams, it really was against their will: I think if Joe Montana or Peyton Manning had their way they would have stayed where they had won Super Bowls and played so well. They wouldn’t have played so well. So my desire is to stay with one team my entire career, and that would be Washington.”

The question, however, is whether the team and Cousins can get on the same page about a contract that would keep Cousins in Washington for life. So far, Washington hasn’t shown Cousins the kind of guaranteed money on a long-term deal that he wants. In seven months, some other team might.

57 responses to “Kirk Cousins: I want to remain with one team my entire career

1. Brett Favre played a lot of years for the Packers and he was forced to play one season in New York, but his fondest desire was always to play for the Minnesota Vikings.

2. “his fondest desire was always to play for the Minnesota Vikings”

Lolz barneys are so funny. Here’s a newsflash for ya. It’s no one’s “fondest desire” to play for the barneys.

3. Ya right. He’s seeing this to please the fans. He’s already packed for SF. Why ya think the niners drafted defense?
    4yr 110 mill awaits in the bay next off season

4. “I think if Joe Montana or Peyton Manning had their way they would have stayed where they had won Super Bowls and played so well. They wouldn’t have played so well.”

What?

5. I hope this mediocre bum isn’t comparing himself to Montana and Manning. He’s more like Elvis Grbac and Steve Bono.

6. He has been clear since July 17 that it wasn’t about money. He said the team made a fair offer and that it was a good starting point for negotiations. But he decided to play out the tag again this year, because he wanted to be certain that this was a team he wanted to stay with long term. We all know what a train wreck the Redskins have been over the 20+ years. He said he wants to be sure that there is a sense of stability within the organization before he commits long term. As a fan, I can’t blame him…it makes sense. If 2017 goes like 2016 – a competitive team through the end of the season, with promising potential, that has an opportunity to continue to improve in the coming years – I bet that he and the team reach a long-term agreement. And it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if he did take some sort of hometown discount to ensure they can keep core pieces on the team and resign existing players with expiring contracts at the end of this season (there are a lot of those on this team). He is a stand up guy and I think a lot of people are getting it wrong when they think it is just about the money.

7. seatownballers says:
    August 15, 2017 at 2:07 pm
    4yr 110 mill awaits in the bay next off season
    ——————-

The Niners are going to give Cousins $27.5m a year for 4 years? Are they going to guarantee it too?

8. Kirk Cousins needs to shut up and play! The Redskins will be the dormat of the NFC East in 2017 and Cousins will prove he is an average QB at best! He is an overconfident overachiever!

9. boknowsvt says:
    – – – – – – – – –
    He plays Quarterback as well as Sonny Bono…and he’s been taking a dirt nap for a longtime now.

10. boknowsvt says:
    August 15, 2017 at 2:10 pm

I hope this mediocre bum isn’t comparing himself to Montana and Manning.
    ———————-

He isn’t. Both ended their careers on different teams, and he is saying he doesn’t want to do that.

11. Translation … I hope Washington continues to pay me the most money so I won’t have to move.

12. Kurt – There is a very simple solution if you genuinely desire to play with only one team. Rather than refusing every offer presented by the Redskins, you pick up the pen and sign a long term deal.

13. Cousins owns the Redskins. He has played them perfectly. They will have to pony up and pay him Flacco money or lose him and then the fans. Tough choice.

Danny boy must not be sleeping well at night these days.

14. “The REDSKINS! REDSKINS… REDskins… redskins…”

Nothing convinces people that a word is not an ethnic slur as much as pushing it in their faces every chance you get. Way to make their point for them.

15. habby80 says:
    He has been clear since July 17 that it wasn’t about money.

Richard Nixon was quite clear when he stated, “I am not a crook!”
    O.J. Simpson was quite clear when he vowed to spend all his time “looking for the real killers.”
    Bill Clinton was clear when he said, “I never had sex with that woman.”
    Just because somebody says something — no matter how “clear” they may try to make it — doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the truth.
    I think a lot of people believe what they want to believe, especially when it comes to their heroes, or at least people who play for their favorite teams.
    If it really isn’t about the money for Kirk Cousins, and if he truly wants the team to have a “better sense of stability” before he signs, then wouldn’t him taking what the Skins offered go a long way toward shoring up that stability? It isn’t what he’s asking for, but it isn’t chicken feed either — specially for a guy who claims it’s not about the money.
    There’s usually a solid grain of truth in clichés, including this one: If someone says it’s not about the money, you can bet it’s probably about the money.

16. What best of the best played for one team? Montana? Manning? Namath? Johnny U? With the exception of Elway the great ones all seem to have played on multiple teams

17. How completely insensitive of Cousins to say he wants to be a “Redskin” the rest of his career. When and where are the protests/rallies Florio??

18. Kurt Cousins wants to stay with the Redskins for the rest of his career, unless some other team pays him a lot more money, of course.
    Let’s not kid ourselves, here. The name of the game is money and loyalty has nothing to do with anything between players and teams.
    Personally, I think Cousins is a good QB, but he isn’t anywhere near a great QB. He should not be paid nearly as much as Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, and Drew Brees are getting or are going to get. He simply is not as good as any of them.
    In fact, I would take Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Matthew Stafford, Philip Rivers, Russell Wilson, Cam Newton, and Eli Manning all over him. I’d also take Dak Prescott, Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, and Andrew Luck over him, too.
    In short — the Redskins should let him walk before they over-pay him and live to regret it. He will not be that hard to replace.

19. I think he’ll end up re-signing with Washington. They’ll use the transition tag on him and match any offer he gets. I don’t think any free agent QB is going to get the kind of money he’ll be looking for, especially when the 2018 rookie class at QB is going to be so strong. Teams will have the option of giving him 20 million or jumping into the draft and picking one of those young guys for much less – possibly the best draft class since 1983.

20. Just play out your final year and leave. No reason to say anything, let your agent take any PR hits.

21. .
    Tom Brady has 5 Super Bowl rings and has directed a Patriots team that has averaged over 12 victories per year since 2001. Tom Brady holds the record for playoff wins with 25.

Kirk Cousins has had no playoff success, but makes more money than Brady.

22. Translation: It is my duty to show every NFL player the importance of demanding every bit of the salary cap as possible, because otherwise you have to share it with 53 other people….

23. The stats that matter say he is not!!’ His performance against above 500 teams is dreadful!!!!’ His stats are a product of the easy safe pass system the skins run to keep him from throwing too many interceptions. His passing yards he calls to pad his fantasy stats steal opps even from rushing attempts. That’s why his stats suck against above 500 teams.

24. He’ll have to step up his game, or he’ll just become another veteran QB who moves from team to team when they need a QB.

25. Thetruthis says:
    August 15, 2017 at 3:32 pm
    ——————————————————————————————Comments like this come from people who don’t watch or even bother to check Google. Cousins was third in the NFL last season in yards per attempt. Hardly safe. He was also third in the league in passing yards. Can’t do that with a “dink and dunk” offense. He was third in the league in yards per game, 8th in completion percentage and 7th in QB rating. Yeah…those are garbage! Hmph.

As far as wins/losses go: The Redskins defense gave up points on nearly 40% of opposition drives. But it’s all Cousins’ fault.

26. Top five passer in passes over 20 yards and passes over 50 yards and holds the teams two best passing season records.

Those who doubt this guy are just proving they are idiots.

27. Fans of every other team in the NFC East hope this stiff plays his entire career for the redskins, too.

28. And I know you arrogant Cousins haters have accepted less money from your employer because you are just wonderful people.

Hypocrites and liars!

29. laserw says:
    Hypocrites and liars!

Your comment is apples to oranges, but I suspect you already know that.
    However, if it makes you feel better to hold your breath, stomp your feet and throw a tantrum then by all means do so. It’s merely another source of amusement for the rest of us.

30. “Rather than refusing every offer presented by the Redskins, you pick up the pen and sign a long term deal.”

How about the Redskins make him an offer that isn’t complete garbage? Had RG 3 and Out been throwing for 5,000 yards, Snyder would have already made him the highest paid QB in the NFL.

31. Comments like These come from someone who goes back and WATCH entire games 3 plus times. This is a game of match ups not google stats. He Is a check down king! Jordan Reed to the left underneath!!!’ I have seen him chuck the ball 2 yards behind the line if scrimmage to garceon and he runs for 60 yards!!! Stats – KC 60 yard pass!!!

32. eaglesfootballfan says:
    August 15, 2017 at 2:24 pm

——————————————————————————————–
    Oh! You plan on beating us this year? Dang…I was thinking we were gonna go 6-0 against you over the past 3 years…glad you decided to compete….Have fun cleaning that trophy case. I am sure its easy…..

33. thenewguy12 says:
    August 15, 2017 at 4:53 pm

______________________________________

I don’t think the Redskins offer was garbage. It had $53 million guaranteed ($72 million for injury) and would have had the second highest average salary in the NFL. It may not have been exactly what Kirk wanted, but it should’ve been enough for him and his agent to come to the table and make a counter-offer.

Regardless, as a Redskins fan, I’m happy to hear Kirk say that he wants to spend his career here. That being said, I recognize it’s a business and I fully expect him to take the best offer he can get. I won’t blame him at the end of the season if he leaves, but I also won’t blame the Redskins front office and act like they never made a reasonable offer.

34. So happy to see the lowly Washington team go through this QB negotiation with a backup QB! Pay him 50M a season! Fitting for a racist franchise owner who has displayed zero respect toward the original Americans!

35. “6ball is lying – Brady took a pay cut so he wouldn’t have to pay as much of a fine – he was well compensated”

Actually he didn’t take a cut they just redid his contract and made the bulk of what was supposed to be game pay into a signing bonus so Goodell couldn’t touch it. That’s not the point though. The point is Cousins under the tag last season and this season did/will make more money in total compensation than Brady.

Of course Brady has the endorsements that Cousins doesn’t that mean he really does make more, but not in just NFL pay

36. Lots of people take less money for a job they like.

I have clients I loathe but they pay me top of the market for what I do. I also have clients that can’t afford me but I like them a lot and appreciate their appreciation of me, so I cut them a big break on price (to the tune of 30-50%).

And I’m not some titan of industry. My bank card is worth more as plastic than the amount of money it can access. Not everyone chases every dollar, not everyone is on a miserable treadmill in an endless rat-race.

So, yes, it is reasonable to think that some guys might accept less money to work somewhere they love. Look at half the Seahawks defense, look at pretty much the entire Patriots team, look at Kevin Durant, there’s too many examples in sports alone. It happens all the time. Even the dude that started this site left a lucrative career to do something he loved, never knowing it would become more profitable in the long run.

So stop with the narrative that everyone chases the money, or that it is the norm in sports or any other industry.

37. @aj66shanghai
    That was a very nice comment, containing more than a few truths, although quite irrelevant to the Kirk Cousins situation.
    If Cousins truly wants to play in Washington, where he might make less money than he could elsewhere, then why hasn’t he already accepted the Redskins’ reasonably decent offer? Why does he keep playing on the franchise tag instead of signing a long-term deal to work for the team he allegedly wants to play for?
    Because it’s about the money. He wants to be among the leagues top-paid QBs, and you’re naïve if you believe anything else.