Report: Patriots fear Derek Rivers has season-ending knee injury

Getty Images

The Patriots may have lost a key young player, who was impressing in his early work.

According to Field Yates and Mike Reiss of ESPN, the Patriots fear that rookie defensive end Derek Rivers suffered a season-ending knee injury.

The third-rounder from Youngstown State, who was their highest draft pick this year, was injured during joint practices with the Texans Wednesday, and was sent home for more tests.

Apparently those tests were not favorable.

He had 41 sacks during his college career, and was expected to have a role on a defense looking for some contributors after Rob Ninkovich’s retirement.

42 responses to “Report: Patriots fear Derek Rivers has season-ending knee injury

1. .
    It’s a tough break. The retirement of Rob Ninkovich and the new faces at DE left the position in a general state of transition. It appeared that the rare opportunity for a rookie to earn a starting role on the Patriots D just went by the boards.

2. This hurts for sure but no one adjusts better then the Patriots. Hightower may move to end on occasion with Harris in the middle with Flowers on the other side. Depth is certainly affected here. Maybe they bring in Dwight Freeney for some sub role reps like Long last year. They will have to make a move especially with Wise in the concussion protocol….Stay tuned…….

3. Crap-o-la…..
    Hopefully he has a complete recovery & is ready to go next year……at least he’ll have plenty of recovery time & plenty of rehab time with a excellent staff…..
    INJURIES….. The great & mighty equalizer!!!
    Next man up…..
    Go Pats!!!

4. Well this is awful, I watched a ton of his YouTube videos from Youngstown State and I think he can be a good rusher in the NFL some day. Get healthy soon!

5. 3-4 Defense coming anyway..He’s not a 3-4 guy. Just saying. He’s a 4-3 DE and subrushing specialist type of player. Who knows how much that would have translated but they can probably swing a trade for someone like that or just see if Freeney wants to come in on the cheap for a ring.

He’s a 3-4 lineup:

Branch, Malcom Brown, Guy/Valentine (4-3 subrusher is Flowers, kicks to 4-3 DT or DE on 3rds)

Hightower (replaces Nink), Harris, Roberts, McClellin (Van Noy subs Harris out on 3rds or passing downs)

BB never plays a straight 4-3 or 3-4, but you get the idea.

6. jackodn says:
    August 18, 2017 at 10:10 am
    What kind of person downvotes a comment like “Get well soon”? Geez.

7 0 Rate This

——–

A Goodell Lover or troll

7. jackodn says:
    August 18, 2017 at 10:10 am
    What kind of person downvotes a comment like “Get well soon”? Geez.
    _________________

The kind of non Pats fan that usually visits their threads, that typically posts about ‘systems’ and gets very frustrated when their troll comments don’t get the priority moderation they are accustomed to. You know, morons.

8. Between Ninkovich,Rivers and the fact that Ealy doesn’t fit(they’d probably cut him, but can’t afford to now),that position is dangerously thin. I don’t think an old situational guy like Freeney is the answer. They need to go get someone. Maybe they spotted someone on Houston or Jax. They’re both pretty deep with edge guys

9. burtmustin says:
    August 18, 2017 at 9:51 am
    Major injuries that occur in practice or in pre-season games are the worst.

————

They are certainly worst for the player, but I respectfully disagree they are the worst as a fan.

When Welker was hurt at the end of 2009 that was terrible. No time to recover before the playoffs. That’s it. Done.

Same for when Gronk was hurt against Baltimore in the AFCCG in the 2011 season. Terrible and no way to recover.

Last year Gronk was lost at a time when the offense could reshape. Brady started to throw deeper and to the outside and by the time the Super Bowl came around he was able to do it at an elite level.

Preseason injuries are recoverable, particularly to a rookie. It’s certainly a shame for Rivers, but BB can make a trade or two with all the assets he has at RB and WR and maybe fill a gap.

10. TB12#BLITZFOR6 says:
    August 18, 2017 at 9:51 am

———-

I agree mostly, but I don’t think that they really need to adjust as Rivers wasn’t necessarily going to get game time yet. It’s mostly a depth issue at this point. I agree they will make a trade or two.

11. As much as it pains me to ever agree with tylawspick he is regurgitating something sensible he must have heard elsewhere. Nink played more as a hybrid end/linebacker. With the addition of Harris to take a lot of the snaps Hightower used to it’s pretty apparent we should expect to see him getting reps on the edge.

12. bullcharger-After I posted my comment, I thought about adding to clarify what I meant. Going on I.R. (which may be the case for Rivers) before the start of the regular season, sucks for the players and the fans.

13. jackodn says:
    August 18, 2017 at 10:10 am
    What kind of person downvotes a comment like “Get well soon”? Geez.

Internet tough guys who still live at home w/ mommy and daddy.

14. tedmurph says:
    August 18, 2017 at 10:25 am

5 0 Rate This

———–

How is it “dangerously” thin?

Flowers = Nink
    Guy = Sheard

Nothing else has changed since last year, save for Long. I could easily argue that Flowers is an upgrade over Nink due to experience now and youth infused to a strong side defacto 4-3 DE spot. I loved Nink for years, but you could see last year he was about done. Once BB pounced on Harris, it reeked of more 3-4 this year, which BB has been using more of incrementally the last 2 years or so, essentially since signing Branch and drafting Malcom Brown.

As for replacing Chris Liong, they can find a 4-3 subrusher somewhere out there, and you can’t sell me on Rivers being a slam dunk rookie in the first place. HE comes off of as project who needs to add weight and get some development. Rivers was likely never intended to take on a lot of snaps this year.

Ealy is a true wildcard, but why can’t he be the 4-3 DE subrusher on 3rds? He makes 800K, so he’s cheaper than what Chris Long was, so they can swing a trade with ease here if they choose.

If they can get Ealy straight, they’ll be fine.

Branch, Brown, Guy/Valentine

Hightower, Harris, Roberts, McClellin (wildly underrated by Pats fans who are clueless)

*(Van Noy subs for Harris on passing downs or with big leads and on 3rds for RB coverage or move TE coverage/big nickel)

Ealy and Flowers can be DTs or DEs in a 4-3, in particular in subrushing situations.

15. commentawaitingdeletion says:
    August 18, 2017 at 10:45 am

1 1 Rate This

———–

It pains me that a naive Millennial agrees with my astute analysis.

16. tylawspick6 says:
    August 18, 2017 at 10:59 am

It pains me that a naive Millennial agrees with my astute analysis.

———————

Do you have a general dislike for everyone born between 1980 and 1999, or just the ones who don’t agree with you from time to time?

17. tylawspick6 says:
    August 18, 2017 at 10:59 am
    commentawaitingdeletion says:
    August 18, 2017 at 10:45 am

1 1 Rate This

———–

It pains me that a naive Millennial agrees with my astute analysis.
    —————————–
    It pains the rest of us that you think your analysis is astute.

18. AngryHumanoid says:
    August 18, 2017 at 11:17 am
    tylawspick6 says:
    August 18, 2017 at 10:59 am

It pains me that a naive Millennial agrees with my astute analysis.

———————

0 0 Rate This

———

Look, I realize that’s a generalization, but yes, I don’t like entitled, unwilling to learn young people who think they know everything, unwilling to learn from those may happen to know more.

Ignorance, arrogance and stupidity are not good traits to develop.

When I was in my 20s, I tried to learn everything I could from people older than myself.

Not a hard concept.

Other negatives include:

1. Believing almost everything they read because it is on the internet.
    2. Lack of basic social skills.
    3. Too much reliance on technology over common sense and understanding a concept.

19. Above, I also did not Deatrich Wise, another good looking prospect. I thought he had way more of a chance to help as a rookie than Derek Rivers.

Wise has a good body build for a 3-4, too.

Good edge setter and can work as a 4-3 DT in subrushing situations or as a 4-3 DE.

20. jjackwagon says:
    August 18, 2017 at 11:26 am
    tylawspick6 says:
    August 18, 2017 at 10:59 am
    commentawaitingdeletion says:
    August 18, 2017 at 10:45 am

1 1 Rate This

———–

It pains me that a naive Millennial agrees with my astute analysis.
    —————————–
    It pains the rest of us that you think your analysis is astute.

0 1 Rate This

———–

Oh, it’s very, very astute. The dorks at Pats Pulpit or any other Millennial Blog rely way too much on awful analysis they pick up elsewhere.

If you listened to their analysis, you’d believe our D stinks and BB is a moron as a GM.

Highly comical for me to watch some Pats fans be so incredibly wrong the last 5-7 years with how BB has set this up so beautifully.

I am pretty sure what I posted above is a pretty nailed down analysis of the situation.

Any time a player gets dinged, we have tons of handwringing fans come flying in tying to spell gloom and doom because they listen to Felger and Mazz for 4 hours everyday in some basement in the suburbs.

21. Tough break for Rivers, but as many commenters have opined; the Patriots should be ok because of the options they have at WR/SR, and running back so a trade might be a possibility. Or they could wait for teams to make some cuts…BB has been known to find gold in other teams trash.

22. tylawspick6 says:
    August 18, 2017 at 11:48 am

Ignorance, arrogance and stupidity are not good traits to develop.

Not a hard concept.

Other negatives include:

1. Believing almost everything they read because it is on the internet.
    2. Lack of basic social skills.

————–

Once again you are projecting specific traits onto a large group of people that you only assume apply to the majority. You even say “in my 20s”. Millennials can be up to 37 years of age, with an average age of 28. Something tells me that’s a lot older than you are imagining while you are shaking your fist and muttering “YOUTHS!”.

And to pick your specific complaints apart:
    1 – believing things read on the internet without fact checking it is by a WIDE margin more likely in elderly populations than younger more technologically adept people, which is how we got Pizzagate and other bafflingly ridiculous hoaxes which were prominent in the recent election.

2 – Lack of basic social skills: what you mean to say is social mannerisms you personally disagree with, but I imagine you’ll counter that with more specific examples that don’t represent the whole.

3 – Too much reliance on technology, he complained while typing this on his electronic device of choice. New technology is here whether you like it (or understand it, which I suspect is the latter) or not. Learn new things or at least quietly get out of the way for those who will.

23. AngryHumanoid says:
    August 18, 2017 at 12:16 pm
    tylawspick6 says:
    August 18, 2017 at 11:48 am

Ignorance, arrogance and stupidity are not good traits to develop.

Not a hard concept.

Other negatives include:

1. Believing almost everything they read because it is on the internet.
    2. Lack of basic social skills.

————–

And to pick your specific complaints apart:

6 0 Rate This

——–

True regarding “people in their 20s”..I am aware it includes people in their 30s as well, but they were once in their 20s. Get it?

You go to college, get a job, talk to older people, learn, get experience, pay dues, etc.

Many Millennials skipped all of these things I just listed, sat in a basement, lived off of Mommy and Daddy, and think they can cupcake into their 30s without any experience in the workplace of any kind.

Get it?

This exists, because I’ve seen it. We all have.

Millennials are also super sensitive, ultra-PC and whiny crybabies that love Roger Goodell’s PC image antics that includes cheating and lying.

1. Somewhat agree, but old people are easily confused. Millennials have access to more info, yet aren’t as intelligent as Gen X.

2. I don’t know…How about playing stupid games on the phone and walking into the door of a grocery store over it? I literally watched two 30 year olds rummaging around in the woods playing Pokemon during work hours. No lie. Ya know, stuff like that.

3.Agree on technology is here to stay and I work for a technology company, so I am well aware. It’s the meat and potatoes skills that MIllennials think they don’t need, which they do.

Enjoy your day.

24. tylawspick6 says:
    August 18, 2017 at 10:59 am

It pains me that a naive Millennial agrees with my astute analysis.
    ____________________

Shaving 30 years off my age is hardly an insult lmao. My grandkids are Millenials, but then you knew that.

25. Bellichick will likely still list him as “Questionable”. That team has made a sham out of the injury report for the better part of two decades. When will the NFL hold them accountable?

26. Sky was falling when:
    Gronk zonked
    Collins clipped
    Jones jerked
    Welker whined
    Law over-turned
    Bledsoe bled

It happens, there will be more casualties and bumps in the road.
    Relax and ride. Big Bill is up front at the wheel.

27. Not a big deal. Any DE will work in the system.

#GOAT system.

_________________________________________

If it’s just the system, why can’t anyone else do it?
    Why aren’t there 31 other teams using it with the same results?
    Isn’t it that simple?
    So frustrating that other teams can’t just copy it?
    I mean, just study the film. Figure out the system. And use it with the same results.
    Where’s the disconnect?

28. Hate to see guys go down with knee injuries.

Heal well, heal quickly, young man.

Hope to see you on the field sooner than later.

Good luck.

RAIDER NATION

29. Ninckovich is an on the line Sam linebacker and Flowers is a DE that is best pressuring up the middle. Guy is a 3 technique DE/DT not the same type of player Sheard was here, which was an end of the line DE/LB/ pass rusher. Some people have no idea what they’re talking about, and continue to embarrass themselves and other Pats fans.

30. That team has made a sham out of the injury report for the better part of two decades. When will the NFL hold them accountable?
    ———————————
    7 months into Brady’s 2008 rehab when Belichick was asked about his progress he told the reporter “I’m not a Dr. but my understanding is that it’s a knee issue”

“accountable” as in please God find a way to stop them from winning? The league has tried every dirty little scheme they could think of; but they’ll never out smart the greatest coach to stalk the sideline.

31. Too bad, he looked promising.
    The good news is with the new cut procedure, there will be a lot of decent players on the market at once. Pats can build depth that way by picking up a decent player who didn’t make the cutdown