Ha Ha Clinton-Dix honors slain police officers with their names on his shoes

AP

Packers safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix made a statement in support of fallen police officers during Sunday night’s preseason game.

Clinton-Dix wrote the names of four police officers who have died in the line of duty on his shoes. Clinton-Dix said on Twitter that he wanted the families of heroes that he wanted them to know they had his support.

The four officers Clinton-Dix recognized were Matt Baxter and Sam Howard of the Kissimmee, Florida, Police Department, who were shot on Friday, as well as Orlando Police Sgt. Debra Clayton, who was shot in December, and Orange County Sheriff’s Officer Norman Lewis, who was killed when his car crashed in the manhunt for Clayton’s killer. All four are from the area of Florida where Clinton-Dix was raised.

Clinton-Dix was a criminal justice major during his three years playing football at Alabama and is continuing to work on his degree in the offseasons.

104 responses to “Ha Ha Clinton-Dix honors slain police officers with their names on his shoes

1. Well done sir. How about we follow this example? Giving props to people who are at risk every day so that we can have a reasonably peaceful life.

Now, if others have a problem with specific officers then wear their names on your shoes. Otherwise if you make statements about police in general you’re no better than those who generalize about race.

2. The NFL could sure benefit from more players like Clinton-Dix!! He is the epitome of a wonderful human being and MANY players should follow his lead…..

3. Outstanding outfrickenstanding. Class act. Take note other unemployed players. You can protest something (like the killing of police officers) and not have to sit for the national anthem or do anything that draws attention away from the flag and still get media attention.

4. What a classy guy. He’s the polar opposite of kaepernick. I guess the real big difference is Dix is intelligent and Kaepernick wonders if life is like a box of chocolates

5. Clinton-Dix has been one of my favorite Packers for a few years now. During the 2016 opener at Jacksonville, Clinton-Dix made a fuss that the play clock was running out on the Jaguars’ O, pointing, shouting and jumping. Love that play. Heads up!

6. Great! The police don’t play a game, their lives are on the line.

I hope Dix has a great year.

7. Even knowing he is a packer and has the name of a clown, I am appreciative of his message and glad that police officers do have the support of SOME players. I definitely tip my hat to you sir.

8. Another political statement that carries almost no discernible impact in the real world. If Clinton-Dix wanted to do something that makes a difference, there are literally dozens of actions that would both show support and help the families of the slain officers.

Same thing for the other side of the political spectrum, kneeling for the National Anthem. These self absorbed, narcissistic players are all calling attention to an issue that they themselves are doing nothing to resolve. Either you are part of the problem or part of the solution and somehow these players (on both sides by the way) have deluded themselves into thinking they are now SJW’s. The truth is, the media is feeding this frenzy by calling attention to the hollow actions of a bunch of millionaires who just go home in their fancy cars to their 60 inch flatscreens to play video games and could actually care less to the plight of the very people they think they are representing.

9. The lion’s share of people who serve our police forces do so to protect and serve and put their lives on the line every day protecting the rights of all citizens, even Kaepernick’s. There are some bad ones, just like in every other profession. Nobody likes the bad ones but it serves no purpose condemning all of them and wearing socks with cartoon pigs dressed in police uniforms. That is just stupid and things like that keep you from getting a job as an NFL backup.

10. This is one player, of the many accusations by cheesebay, that I hope will cross-over to Minnesota.

11. Good for him and completely his right but the things Kaepernick and others are drawing attention to is not mutually exclusive to this. Saying I am an advocate for people of color and I’d like to draw attention to police brutality does not mean you are also saying I do not support the majority of police who do their jobs with fairness and respect

12. Part of me who has felt personal loss likes this gesture a little, but another part feels that regardless of whether its to protest against/for someone or thing, it’s a self-aggrandizing diva who does anything beyond just playing the game. Proof? – who are we talking about today, the bereft families or the respective attitudes of players like Dix or Kaep et al? Just play the damn game and leave social politics out of our entertainment.

13. viachicago22 says:

(snip) Saying I am an advocate for people of color and I’d like to draw attention to police brutality does not mean you are also saying I do not support the majority of police who do their jobs with fairness and respect
    ——————————————–

…unless you wear socks with pictures of law enforcement officers depicted as pigs. In which case, you are broad brushing and disrespecting all law enforcement officers regardless of their behavior.

14. I thought athletes should just shut up and play not make social statements. I’m confused now. O I guess this minor gesture fits the racist’s narrative but kneeling to shed light on the oppression of minorities in this country has no place in football. Hypocritical idiots

15. streetyson says:
    August 22, 2017 at 8:57 am

—————————————————————————————-

I agree with your sentiment about leaving politics out of football. That said, this was a classy move by Ha Ha Clinton Dix, unlike Kaepernick and others who have chosen to
    paint cops with a broad brush. Dix is choosing to honor those fallen police, he’s not protesting anything. I am a Packers fan who appreciates that Dix gets it, and that he’s not afraid of angering other blacks by showing it.
    One of my greatest memories of the Packers — and I go back to 1961 — will always be the first Monday Night game after the 9-11 attacks when back up LB’er Chris Gizzi, who graduated from the Air Force Academy and was still in the Air Force reserves, ran out of the tunnel carrying a large American Flag. The whole Packers team followed Gizzi as the Lambeau Crowd roared as they waved small American Flags. Gizzi was supposed to stop at the 50 yard line, but he was so stirred emotionally he kept right on running and so did his teammates. He later said the crowd was so loud, he could feel the field shaking. He said he was handed the flag about 10 seconds before he ran out and it was completely done without thinking about it.
    Americans were as unified as they’ve ever been after 9-11. We all pulled together to show the world we were one. It was a great feeling for me and I was never more proud to be an American. Out of that horrible tragedy, we showed the world we were all the same — Americans.
    I wish we could get back to feeling that way, and I believe we could if people would stop putting their personal agendas ahead of what is good for this country.

16. This is now my favorite Packer by far. No, writing names on your shoes doesn’t do much by itself, but he achieved his goal of drawing attention to the fact that police officers are out there dying to protect us, while other players who sit, kneel, or raise a fist are sending the message that all cops are racist.

17. whatjusthapped says:
    August 22, 2017 at 8:04 am

I was reading all the Positive comments, and I just knew someone had to be the jerk and make a rude comment. Whatjusthapped is That Jerk.

18. Nice to see this. It’s too bad more attention hasn’t been paid to the positive things players are doing to honor those who make sacrifices and put their lives on the line every day. Thanks Mr. Clinton-Dix; we need more players like you.

19. In a system where the few rule the many, blind obedience is required to those who protect the few, aka the military and law enforcement

20. As a retired LEO, I both respect and appreciate this, as I’m sure many other’s do. I’m now a fan of Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix.

21. Well Done Ha Ha…

Meanwhile the unemployed one–heh heh unemployed one–thinks it’s cool to add insult to death by telling families their fallen loved ones are pigs… On top of that, he’s not really black…though he desperately wishes he were…

22. eaglesince86 says:

August 22, 2017 at 9:19 am

I wish could like your comment 1 million times, your are 100% correct with that one!!!

23. eaglesince86 – So anyone who wants to remember the lives of slain police officers is a racist? And the theater of the absurd from the lunatic left rolls on…
    Minorities are most certainly not oppressed in the United States. This statement is as patently absurd as your last one.

24. Go to any military installation and see how few people are outside honoring the Flag at 0800 and sunset daily, let alone once per week. Ask any active member you know when the last time he WILLINGLY stood outside for colors was. Is there better ways to protest? Sure, but kap’s way is far from the worst. With that said, Ha Ha earned much deserved praise for this.

25. Titan says:
    August 22, 2017 at 10:07 am
    ——————————————————————————-

What’s funny is that the leftists who express opinions exactly like yours are also the ones throughout history who have imposed rule on free individuals.

They rally around freedom from fascism, “right wing” authoritarianism yet when they assume power they murder, execute, imprison and apply the force of government across all layers of society.

That force is always the police/military which has been handpicked to enforce the blind obedience the leftists require. they do not wish to just regulate the actions of citizens, they must also regulate the thought of the citizens.

26. Dear Margoadams, Obama never said that all cops are racists. He was consistent in his support for good cops. I like what Clinton-Dix did, but let’s keep it real.

27. So, according to a few of these posters, if you support the idea of honoring a fallen law enforcement officer, your a racist? In fact, it’s starting to appear as though anyone who doesn’t espouse your way of thinking is immediately called a racist. How on earth is that thinking ever going to lead to a constructive discussion on the issues that we face?

28. stellarperformance says:
    August 22, 2017 at 6:48 am
    I find this to be just a bit more admirable than selling out for Starbucks.
    //////////
    It would be great if pack fans were as classy as the pack players

29. “Titan says:
    August 22, 2017 at 8:53 am

The police are no better or worse than the rest of us.”

____________

Well, yeah Titan – in the sense that we all put our pants on one leg at a time, that we all have family, maybe even kids that we care about and love, etc. etc. Everyone gets that, sure.

However – I don’t know about you – but my job does not require me to carry a gun for protection of my very life and the life of others every day, it does not come with the risk that I might get killed for doing a small part to provide a semblance of order and safety to society every day, and my job pays a heck of a lot more than a police salary or a soldier salary ever will.

So no, I’m not going to say an average cop is “better” than the rest of us in any general sense – but I will honestly say they do a lot more good for society than most of us will ever do, and most of it goes unnoticed and hardly ever thanked.

Fort some people, cops are easy to hate – until they need one.

30. If the message gets lost, it’s a testament to the viewers. On countless occasions, people have explained why they’re choosing to take a knee, and if that’s not a noble cause than idk what is. Tamir Rice was killed by a police officer at the tender age of 12. Grounds for a conviction correct? Not in America. So here lies the issue, and if you can’t see it, it’s moreso because you aren’t trying to. Don’t get me wrong, I like everybody else enjoy living in the confines of my own bubble, but this issue is too large to ignore. There are plenty of noble police officers who do their jobs on a daily basis, putting their lives at risk. However, there are also bad seeds, just like in any other position of power. Please exercise some compassion when you’re thinking about the reasoning behind these protests.

31. “Is it also classy when players right the names of people murdered by police on their cleats?”
    No problem with it if the person was proven to actually have been murdered. The problem is many including a few Rams honored Michael Brown when the truth was the officer was in the right and the narrative was a lie. But I guess I shouldn’t expect that level of understanding from someone who doesn’t know the difference between right and write.

32. Mr. Clinton-Dix, as a Packers fan I say job well done. As retired Delaware State trooper and the father of an active Trooper, I say thank you. I will now be buying and wearing your jersey each and every Sunday while watching my Packers. You’re a class act sir.

33. patfic5 says:
    August 22, 2017 at 6:43 am
    The anti-Kap. He’s got a new fan.
    – – –

Haha, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix is anything but “anti-Kap”. Clinton-Dix supports Kaep. Believe it or not, you can support both Colin Kaepernick AND law enforcement.

34. Nice touch Dix! I think the cops were shot in cold blood right? Pre-meditated murder? 10 years ago that is all over the news. Now it’s only on Fox news. The BLM movement,supported by our black, muslim former president, does not see anything wrong with black cops being shot in cold blood? (Crickets chirping)……..Soooooooo not all black lives matter??….is that what this white guy is to understand? It’s so confusing…….

35. youngnoizecom says:

The great thing about America is people can express whatever opinions they wish, although not always without consequences. However, when you put yourself out there you become fair game for the criticism and judgement of others.
    In your case, the fact you don’t know the difference between “right” and w-r-i-t-e makes it difficult to take anything else you say very seriously, therefore your intended message falls on deaf ears.

36. whatjusthapped says:
    August 22, 2017 at 8:04 am

***

Whatjusthappened is a Packer fan based off past comments I’ve seen of his. I’m looking forward to seeing his own reject him based off this nonsense he just spit out.

37. I thought athletes should just shut up and play not make social statements. I’m confused now. O I guess this minor gesture fits the racist’s narrative but kneeling to shed light on the oppression of minorities in this country has no place in football. Hypocritical idiots
    _——————————————————————————
    Dix makes a statement without disrespecting the flag or National Anthem. The Anthem protests are divisive, if one wants to win the majority to their cause they would be better served to do it in a way that does not make 50% of the population hate what you are doing.

38. flviking says:
    August 22, 2017 at 12:41 pm
    stellarperformance says:
    August 22, 2017 at 6:48 am
    I find this to be just a bit more admirable than selling out for Starbucks.
    //////////
    It would be great if pack fans were as classy as the pack players
    //////////////////////////////

Get off your high horse. Stefan Diggs sold out for Starbucks and had their logo on his shoes. I prefer what Clinton-Dix is doing instead.

Now do you get it?

39. stellarperformance says:
    August 22, 2017 at 2:30 pm
    flviking says:
    August 22, 2017 at 12:41 pm
    stellarperformance says:
    August 22, 2017 at 6:48 am
    I find this to be just a bit more admirable than selling out for Starbucks.
    //////////
    It would be great if pack fans were as classy as the pack players
    //////////////////////////////

Now do you get it?
    ///////////
    I have always “got it” it’s you that does not understand. What I am saying is that you take every article and try to bash the Vikings. It’s getting old. Time to move on. By the way, I love the view from my high horse.

40. People talk about the protests being divisive as if the national anthem’s third stanza isn’t. Though it’s been removed, that doesn’t resolve the fact Francis Scott Key promotes slavery in the lyrics. To chastise the ancestors of former slaves for not acknowledging an anthem that only acknowledges them as 3/5 a human being is nonsensical.

41. flviking says:
    August 22, 2017 at 12:41 pm
    stellarperformance says:
    August 22, 2017 at 6:48 am
    I find this to be just a bit more admirable than selling out for Starbucks.
    //////////
    It would be great if pack fans were as classy as the pack players
    //////////////////////////////

Get off your high horse. Stefon Diggs sold out and went for the Starbucks $ and put their logo on his shoes. I prefer what Clinton-Dix is doing instead.

Now do you get it?

42. flviking says:
    August 22, 2017 at 2:39 pm
    I love the view from my high horse.
    ////////////////////////////

Of course you do. That’s why you get bashed. That’s why everyone bashes Viking fans.

43. eaglesince86 says:

August 22, 2017 at 9:19 am

————————————————————————————–

There is one difference which you are too ignorant to understand. What Dix did was designed to bring people together. What Kaep did and all these others are doing is designed to cause racial hostilities to intensify.
    And this “oppression of minorities” is another lie promoted by the left. More laws and government programs have been enacted over the last 60 years to help minorities than any other group. The problem is, you can only help someone if they want to help themselves. ‘
    If blacks want to achieve the equality they’ve long been clamoring for, they need to start in their own communities. Their crime rates, illegitimate birth rates, drug and alcohol use and activity, and gang memberships are examples of areas where they need to focus attention and clean up their acts.

44. @eaglesince86 You might be extremely clueless, dumb or both. The use of drugs and alcohol aren’t any more rampant in the black community. Honestly, the abuse of hardcore drugs and alcohol are an extreme issue in white communities, so I don’t know where you got your facts there. Illegitimate birth rates aren’t any greater than anybody else’s, that’s more so a class issue than a race issue, not everyone can afford abortions, I’m sorry you’ve been misinformed. High crime rates come with low-income communities due to a lack of resources, jobs, programs and the fact desperate people do what they have to do to feed their families. Also, if we want to talk about gang memberships, what about the gangs who rallied terrify people in Charlottesville? Or the gang known as the Ku Klux Klan? Those aren’t gangs? Before you list issues in the black community, do your homework. You can only help yourself when resources are made available to you, and I’m pretty sure resources in low-income communities differ than those in more privileged ones.

45. atthemurph
    Its not a left or right issue, it’s a FACT.
    One you clearly aren’t adult enough to comprehend.
    #don’tBeSoGullible

46. stellarperformance says:
    August 22, 2017 at 2:46 pm
    flviking says:
    August 22, 2017 at 2:39 pm
    I love the view from my high horse.
    ////////////////////////////

//////////////

Another fail from stellar. The only troll to bash the Vikings is you and all your other screen names. Yawn. Giddy up.

47. Look, in the grand scheme of things this gesture isn’t going to change anything.
    Muck like Kaepernick and Co. and their protests.
    Unless you’re prepared to dig in and get your hands dirty, come up with real solutions to affect real change, none of this white noise really matters.

Having said that, I do commend Dix for an extremely nice gesture, it’s a very different and poignant point of view.
    I’m glad he did it, as I believe it’s not stated enough what a difficult and dangerous job police work is.

Though I’m sure Florio is busy trying to dig up or create dirt on Ha Ha as we speak.

48. Don’t know if this will make it through the moderators or not.

Again, black man here. I applaud Ha Ha for what he’s doing. I know my family has been protected by those in blue from numerous situations. We have donated to the Fallen Officer Foundation. It’s important we support those who protect us.

This is a narrative where we are all deal with surface issues. If it were purely black and white, we should see an equal number of incidents of black females being shot, black elderly being shot, young black girls being shot, the affluent and highly educated being shot…but we don’t see it at the same frequency. So that suggests it’s not purely black v white. It’s about perceived risk.

If the police yelled to me, “don’t run” I wouldn’t. If they asked me to get on the ground, I would. I may feel what they asked me might not be justified or it may be extreme, but this is because some, not all, who look like me may have caused grief in the past, setting up this heightened awareness or concern for risk. Some of my black male friends often refuse to acknowledge we have culpability here. Until we look at this from both sides and look at culpability from all sides, dialogue will be difficult.

I’m not ignoring the extreme cases, but we need to be honest. If a white dude were shot due to handling CCW dialogue improperly with the cops, it’s much less newsworthy than if a brother did it. It’s the times we live in.

49. youngnoizecom says:
    August 22, 2017 at 8:38 am

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Not only does Ha-Ha have more class than you, he knows which right to write. It’s called (read this slowly) s-p-e-l-l-i-n-g.

50. Lots of likeable guys on the GB roster because the front office places an emphasis on character. Eight straight playoff appearances (tied with New England) 3 NFC Championship appearances and a Super Bowl title during that stretch. I firmly believe champions are made when athleticism and character collide.