Patriots make their moves to 53

Getty Images

The defending champions are ready to make their run at a sixth Super Bowl title.

To get to 53 players, the Patriots waived defensive tackle Josh Augusta, defensive end Mikey Bart, linebacker Trevor Bares, receiver Austin Carr, tight end Sam Cotton, running back LeShun Daniels, guard Jamil Douglas, linebacker Brooks Ellis, center James Ferentz, running back D.J. Foster, defensive end Geneo Grissom, running back Glenn Gronkowski, defensive tackle Woodrow Hamilton, receiver Cody Hollister, defensive back David Jones, guard Ted Karras, defensive tackle Darius Kilgo, running back D.J. Killings, guard Jason King, defensive back William Likely, receiver Devin Lucien, receiver K.J. Maye, tackle Conor McDermott, defensive back Kenny Moore, tight end James O’Shaughnessy, tackle Max Rich, defensive back Jason Thompson, defensive back Damarius Travis, linebacker Nick Usher, and receiver Tony Washington.

The Patriots also released running back Brandon Bolden and linebacker Jonathan Freeny.

Defensive end Keionta Davis and tackle Andrew Jelks was placed on the non-football injury list, and tackle Antonio Garcia was placed on the non-football illness list. Receiver Julian Edelman, defensive back Cyrus Jones, and defensive end Derek Rivers were placed on injured reserve.

26 responses to “Patriots make their moves to 53

1. Surprised Karras got cut, unless he sticks around and they bring him back tomorrow? Who are the interior back ups at Center or Guard then?

If Croston made it, one interior back up is not enough. I am assuming Ferentz lands on the PS.

2. Bolden and Freeney are big surprises. Carr will hopefully clear waivers and go to the practice squad.

3. Official website has the updated roster…Still surprised Bolden got clipped and they are still 1 body shy for a back up interior lineman role, so this can’t be the final, final roster.

Cole Croston is a rookie from Iowa and he’s your back up Center or swing Guard behind Thuney/Mason? 1 guy and a rookie? Very un-BB-like.

Hmmm.

Seems 1 body shy.

They must have confidence in loading up the PS with some interior linemen that no one else wants.

Ferentz and Douglas should be there on the PS.

4. Hate seeing Bolden go. He was a good story, carved out a spot for himself on special teams and managed to hang around while occasionally contributing when forced into action on offense. I suspect another team will grab him to strengthen their special teams, but it would be nice to see him back as rosters are readjusted over the next couple of days.

With all the cuts coming at once and so many guys on the open market, I wonder how safe the guys in the 50-53 spots are feeling right now?

5. harrisonhits2 says:
    September 2, 2017 at 9:06 pm

—————

Freeny? This guy never did anything. He was a STs guy, but as a fill in pass d specialist, weakside LB, he was always a step behind. McClellin coming in last year, made me forget about Freeny.

Carr would be a nice add with Lucien to the PS.

I am still shocked at the 1 lone interior OL as a back up. Very unusual and that can’t be the final, final situation at Guard/Center.

6. goodellisaclown says:
    September 2, 2017 at 9:12 pm

——————————–

Word is, Bolden is going to hang around, assuming someone doesn’t come wheeling in with some nice contract for him. Question is, who then gets dropped?

I agree in that he is too valuable and provides great insurance.

Would love to see Carr, Lucien, Ferentz and Foster get to the PS, but unlikely they all can get there.

Relieved McClellin did not go to the full season IR. I am assuming it’s a concussion thing and they’re going conservative.

7. biggs13 says:
    September 2, 2017 at 9:15 pm

End of an era. Thanks for playing.

————-

lol

This team is loaded. Don’t be shocked to see them drop 40 on KC Thurs night.

8. grogan537 says:
    September 2, 2017 at 9:01 pm

Every year I question something BB does, and every year I’m reminded why I do what I do and he does what he does for a living.

———-

You have been doing that seem silly thing for 15 years? How much more proof do you need?

9. Karras and Grissom are surprises, probably hoping to get then to the PS. Foster may be another PS candidate. Bolden has been cut and brought back before but with the trade for Bademosi he may not be back this time.

10. tylawspick6 says:
    September 2, 2017 at 9:22 pm
    grogan537 says:
    September 2, 2017 at 9:01 pm

———-

1 2 Rate This
    ________________

I’m not a fast learner and being from New England allows me to have opinions(facts) on everything.

11. I’m really hoping Lucian, Carr, Foster make the PS & after that I don’t care…..
    Edelman & Dola are getting older so they won’t be around much longer & Cooks, although still young, will cost a boatload to keep long term after next year & both Lucian & Carr are young & can be signed to VERY REASONABLE contracts & each have specific skill sets that fit well in the Patfiots system…..Foster I actually thought would take Lewis’s spot on the team & Lewis would get traded for a 4th or 5th rounder…..
    Still a few days to watch things unfold before the season starts….. Gonna get interesting for sure!!!
    Go Pats!!!

12. Based on the Final 53 today the two best teams in football are the Patriots and Seahawks. Let’s see where the season takes us.

13. I suspect they have a veteran lineman who has already agreed to join them but is waiting to give them roster flexibility. The rookie tightend could be moved to the p squad to open up a roster spot.

14. Bolden and Karas are a bummer. But all I can think about is..
    Can We HURRY UP AND GET TO THURSDAY!!?!!!!

15. Not a Pats fan, but I’m surprised they cut Karras and Carr. I liked watching those two play… They are easy to root for.

16. Factor in that the Patriots are already looking at the other people released and that the 53 is fluid. I could see BB making several roster moves in the coming days.

17. If “player safety” was a real concern for the NFL they would:

1. Expand the rosters to 60;
    2. Thursday games ONLY AFTER a bye;
    3. Monday games ONLY BEFORE a bye; and
    4. Use safer helmets ALREADY on the market.