Tom Coughlin: I’m not interested in Colin Kaepernick and I won’t explain why

Getty Images

Jaguars owner Shad Khan is one of the few NFL owners who will explicitly state that he’s willing to have Colin Kaepernick on his football team. But the guy who calls the shots in Jacksonville’s front office has already ruled out signing Kaepernick.

Jacksonville executive V.P. of football operations Tom Coughlin said today that despite starting quarterback Blake Bortles struggling in the preseason, Coughlin never considered signing Kaepernick.

“No, I didn’t. We did the study and the research and we weren’t interested,” Coughlin said, via the Florida Times-Union.

Asked to explain the reason he isn’t interested, Coughlin refused.

“No, I’m not explaining it. I just said what it is,” Coughlin said.

Coughlin is about as old-school a football guy as there is in the NFL, so it’s unsurprising that he doesn’t want Kaepernick, who controversially protested during the national anthem last year. At the same time, Coughlin’s job is supposed to be acquiring winning football players — and the Jaguars currently don’t have a quarterback they’re likely to win with.

108 responses to “Tom Coughlin: I’m not interested in Colin Kaepernick and I won’t explain why

1. Forget the kneeling. Forget his questionable play.

The guy opted out of 14mill guaranteed for one years work, in SF. He had a choice, and he quit.

The public cannot be outraged at an individual that quits his job, then has problems getting a new one.

2. Coughlin’s job is supposed to be acquiring winning football players — and the Jaguars currently don’t have a quarterback they’re likely to win with.

And Pig socks is?

3. coughlin and Belichick, 2 longtime friends from their time with the Giants. Last year during training camp, Bill was asked about Kap and he said yeah we are focussing on getting our team ready to play the giants next weekend. Harbaugh gave a lengthy explanation on why he didn’t believe in Colin kneeling.

4. Regardless of this….

I still wonder if there is something wrong with Tom Coughlin.

I know he won 2 super bowls…but…

In his last few years with the Giants, the game management was less than ideal. In his final season, he was all over the place. The Giants had late leads in so many games that they screwed up in comically bad ways. First game he didn’t know how many time outs the Cowboys had left and poor clock management gave them plenty of time to score and win.

In a classic battle with the Jets, he went for it on 4th down when a field goal would have iced the game-there would not have been time for the jets to score 10 pts. Instead, they did score 7 to tie it up. And won in OT. It was the weirdest time to get aggressive on 4th down when the clock was going to win you the time. Then the Carolina game in which Beckham and Josh Norman went nuts. Coughlin really sounded like he didn’t know what was going on–I mean Beckham tried to hit Norman with his helmet, personal fouls all over the place, and Coughlin didn’t think of taking Beckham out of the game because he didn’t realize he was getting all these personal fouls…how could he not know that?

So sure, Coughlin can say he doesn’t want Kaepernick. I am sure he will do great with Blake Bortles and whatever QB they draft to replace him in 2018. The real question is, will Bortles still get paid in year five? Thats going to be $19 million or more to ride the bench. Not a great situation for a young team.

5. Like acquiring Kaep would increase the Jags chance of winning. True that they don’t have a good QB right now. They also wouldn’t have a good QB if they were to sign Kaep.

Funny how the media fails to mention RG3 in this conversation. I guess if a player doesn’t disrespect the anthem, he’s not eligible to become a media darling.

6. seatownballers says:
    September 2, 2017 at 6:06 pm
    Forget the kneeling. Forget his questionable play.

____________________________________________

The 49ers were going to release him and go in a different direction with their new HC and GM. Colin knew that, so he opted out early to have a head start on the market.

7. Tom is a future HOFer
    Not to mention he went head to head with the NYC Media for ever
    Some reporter from some little paper is not going to best him ever

8. Many people, even Giants fans, have been uncomfortable with Coughlin’s jingoism over the years. I think he absolutely owes an explanation as to why he refuses to consider a quarterback clearly better than the ones he has on his roster right now.

9. Funny how the media refuses to understand that an official from any NFL team, or any other business for that matter, does not owe them an explanation for anything they do, period.

10. The Jaguars already have a quarterback who struggles to function in any non-college offense, they don’t need another.

11. “Coughlin is about as old-school a football guy as there is in the NFL, so it’s unsurprising that he wasn’t willing to explain himself to the media’s satisfaction.”

Edited that to reflect what most of us were thinking as we read it.

12. chinahand11 says:
    September 2, 2017 at 6:06 pm
    Good for Tom. He doesn’t need to justify anything.

_________________________
    Funny. Would you say the same thing if he SIGNED Colin Kaep?

13. It’s that attitude that got him shipped out of one the great NFL cities to the town that the NFL forgot.

14. Rather than inferring Kaepernick is being overlooked/blackballed for his… stance(?!), why doesn’t anyone put together a convincing assessment of what he excels at?
    This is no different than Tebow’s cult. Making unsubstantiated claims without providing a solid case… only speculation.
    Don’t forget about T.O., he could’ve kept playing, if only…
    Was it because he’s black or because he distracts?
    Or was he just too old/expensive to chance it? The distraction that is… I mean, he was black the entire time he racked up 15,000+ yards receiving.
    Kaep sealed his own fate by adding more to the equation than his football skills vs. his cost to the equation. How do you quantify the media circus’ effect?

15. I’m opposed to Black Lives Matter as a political matter, but the way I see it, Kaepernick helped us get Trump elected. I would rather lose symbolically to win politically. Someone sign Kaepernick and stir up the normies. Midterms will be here before you know it.

16. At the same time, Coughlin’s job is supposed to be acquiring winning football players — and the Jaguars currently don’t have a quarterback they’re likely to win with.
    _________________

Kaep has won 3 games in the past 2 seasons.

17. “At the same time, Coughlin’s job is supposed to be acquiring winning football players — and the Jaguars currently don’t have a quarterback they’re likely to win with.”

========

Exactly why he doesn’t want Kaepernick……..

18. I’ll explain why. It is because teams need to design their offense around a QB like CK and RG3. They are not pocket passers while 95% of the league have as their O a need for pocket passers. Once the league figured out the Redskins offense under RGIII, who was a dual-threat quarterback, they had to move on to Kirk Cousins. Plus CP would only be a backup and any team that signed him would need to change their offense if the number 1 QB went down with an injury. Lets say the Jaguars signed CP to replace Bortles, they would also need a new OC to design the offense around him. At the college level they call systems with pocket passers a pro-style offense b/c that is what they are. There aren’t many dual-threat quarterbacks in the NFL, Seattle’s Wilson and the Panthers Newton. It’s now looking like DC’s have figured out how to beat Newton. Running QB’s don’t last in the NFL.

19. Coughlin is not going to come out and tell you why he’s not interested in Kaepernick because he doesn’t want to trash the players skill set and hurt his chances to get a job elsewhere. I’d be surprised if any coach gave a truthful answer. Andy Reid used to dance around the subject like crazy and never give you an honest answer. For Kaepernick that’s good news. Because the truth is, he sucks. He’s an undisciplined sandlot quarterback that can’t function properly within an NFL offense. Coughlin knows that. If Kaepernick was willing to try out for another position he would probably get a lot more attention.

20. There is a chance that Coughlin knows more about quarterbacks than those criticizing him. So, for him to say he isn’t interested in a qb might just reflect an honest evaluation. How boring, right?

21. kcchefs58 says:
    September 2, 2017 at 6:03 pm
    Easily the most overblown peaceful protest I’ve ever heard of.
    ————-
    No kidding, huh? The 1st 3 weeks CP was kneeling no one even noticed he had to call a press conference to inform the media, who of course, fell in love with him that very moment and became the most important issue facing the NFL the USA and the world.

22. Wouldn’t want to break up that .500 monotony of his last few years in NY (that immediately got better minus him as his last team blew fourth quarter lead after fourth quarter lead) or the .400 winning ways in Jacksonville. Heaven forbid.

23. I like Coughlin and I’m not surprised by this, in fact I knew it all along but honestly. Tom..Blake Bortles is your quarterback. BLAKE BORTLES! He’s not good. Just let go of the pride.

24. TylerHills says:
    September 2, 2017 at 6:15 pm

==================

I see the concept of a GUARANTEED contract has been lost upon you.

25. Why does he need to explain why he isn’t interested?
    He’s supposed to detail the reasons why for every random player that doesn’t have a job?

26. “briang123 says:
    September 2, 2017 at 6:16 pm
    Many people, even Giants fans, have been uncomfortable with Coughlin’s jingoism over the years. I think he absolutely owes an explanation as to why he refuses to consider a quarterback clearly better than the ones he has on his roster right now.”

Oh YOU think he owes an explanation. I guess he better give one then.

A little too much self importance on display here.

27. “Coughlin’s job is supposed to be acquiring winning football players”

Yup, so he didn’t pick up a 2-14 guy. Why is that an issue?

28. Coughlin is sitting there thinking “Gee even if I dont have this guy on the team and I still have the press bothering me about him. I cant imagine how bad it would be if I did pick him up”

29. so it’s unsurprising that he doesn’t want Kaepernick, who controversially protested during the national anthem last year……..
    ==============================================

……….. and wore pig socks, called police patrols slave patrols, compared their training to cosmetology, supports a radical left wing hate group, called America oppressive and praised a communist dictator.

But we’ll continue to ignore all that, huh?

30. Forget the kneeling. Forget his questionable play.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

He was going to get cut anyways. Opting out just ment he would be in FA earlier. Lynch/Shanny confirmed they had the conversation. So while it’s convenient to drive that narrative. The reality is much different.

31. I will tell you why… He is a total racist. Any white person that mentions Colin Kaepernick and doesn’t absolutely praise him in every single way is a racist. I for one am extremely offended by his comments. He is so racist he should probably be coaching the team in Washington DC. I won’t say the team name because it’s racist to do so. He should be more like me, a responsible respectable white person. Before I say anything I take a couple hours contemplating, making sure anything I possibly say could not be misconstrued into something racist or offensive.

32. tedmurph says:
    September 2, 2017 at 6:42 pm
    Does fox news get all their employees to post on every Kaepernick thread?
    ——————-

Maybe they feel an obligation to balance things out against the left loving inherent bias of a site that ignores Kaep’s hate tweets, pig socks, Castro loving and dilettantism?

While I do find a lot of the knuckle dragging that can pop up on Kaepernick related threads overly Cro-Magnan I don’t see much of it on this one. It’s become a sad fact that in addition to intolerance another thing those of you on the left have in common with the right is neither of you seem capable of seeing the vast majority of us that can be found here in the middle every damn day. Both of you continue to ignore all of the rest of us while we just keep on keeping on in hopes you will wear yourselves out and sanity will eventually prevail. I would enjoy watching one of the Kaepistas explain to my community active Cubana wife what a great and well informed citizen their hero is, provided I could do it from a safe distance.

33. Why do Liberal reporters keep sticking microphones in peoples faces and asking them about that idiot Kaepernick?

They cant interview someone with asking about it, so they have an excuse to write another article about so and so’s opinion and keep Kaepernick supposedly “in the news” (of the medias own creation).

I love his answer and everyone who is ever asked always gives the “high road”, “non commital” opinion. The Liberal sports media will try to castigate him now, and shame him, as is their mission for anyone who dares disagree with the racist, anti-American former quarterback.

I cant wait for the day when someone finally speaks up and gives their true opinion, just to see the Liberal Media lose their minds.

34. commitment2excrement says:
    September 2, 2017 at 7:26 pm
    Forget the kneeling. Forget his questionable play.

__________________________________________________________________________

OK, he was gonna get cut anyway so why not take the $14 million guaranteed? He could’ve been looking for a job with a whole lotta 49er gold in his pockets.

35. I love that Coughlin didn’t feign an explanation to the media’s cause of the year. It’s entertaining seeing him drive you boys at PFT and elsewhere batty.

36. spmething tells me you would not be joining this “cause” if he were an average qb at best and supported PRESIDENT TRUMP. face the facts he is not that good in a system that does play to his strengths. you have heard from his position coach yet beside you not having anything to do with the sport aside from voicing your opinions about it you seem to think your opinion is more valuable than his. you want to look at the tape then look at at how he fared against a bears defense that played guys signed off the street before the bears played the 49er’s. that is a good enough reason not sign him. also he chose to opt out of his contract the team did not cut him for his poor play or his kneeling.

37. I see not one Kaep advocate has put together any compelling football rationale for him to get a job.
    Mr. Wright 212, tedmurph, et al; I don’t work for nor watch Fox News and there are multiple players on my team not standing for the national anthem. I’m still pulling for Marshawn to have a fantastic year, but I want my Hawks to shut… him… down… when they play this season. I’m no Kaep hater, matter of fact (as a commenter above suggested) perhaps he should consider trying a different position. I’m thinking he could be a serious deep threat receiver.
    Anyway, build a case. Give me some legit football reasons why he’d be a step up from Bortles, besides his legs.

38. He doesn’t have to explain. Is Kap better than at least 5 backup QB’s? I think so. If he would make your team better you should sign him. If you can’t handle the wanna be captain America’s and their kind then… so be it.

39. hamlet423 says:
    September 2, 2017 at 6:11 pm

Regardless of this….

I still wonder if there is something wrong with Tom Coughlin.
    —————————–

It’s called senility.

40. dezertdawg says:
    September 2, 2017 at 8:17 pm

————————-

Good grief. The money was only guaranteed if he was on the roster. He wasn’t going to be on the roster, so he opted out of his contract to become a free agent.

In summary, Kaepernick did not throw away $14 Million dollars.

41. Tom’s son Tim was working in World Trade Center 2 on the morning og Sept 11, 2001. After years of wearing FDNY or NYPD hats honoring those who died on 9/11, no way in hell would Coughlin sign Kaepernick.

42. When are Kaep apologists going to realize that he is now Michael Sam? Being pushed for an egenda over his skill level.
    Kaep was something, he had to be to get the Niners to a Super Bowl and almost win it against the Ravens. Once he turned vegan, however, he became weaker and unable to lead an NFL offense. Teams figured him out and he was a losing QB. Alienating all of law enforcement over a small minority that abuse their authority was an unwise way to keep himself in the spotlight. But he speaks the language of the divisive racial politics that were the hallmark of the Sacred Obama Administration, so Obama’s servile media carried the water for Kaep as a loyal Obama ambassador.
    Now the media tells teams they are wrong not to want him, just like they are wrong not to want Sam, thinking it is the ideology that is keeping them now, not their current ability. Sam put his lifestyle over football, he shouldn’t be employed in the NFL. Same with Kaep.

43. As a seahawks fan I spent the last five years explaining why Colin wasn’t a very good QB. Even Jim Harbaugh knew his read-option game would get shut down and that would be that.

He doesn’t have any “touch” whatsoever and he was always a one-read and go kind of qb.

T. Boykin reminded me of Colin this pre-season and that’s probably why he got cut. With Austin Davis at least you can run a regular offense.

Forget the politics…I just wouldn’t want Kap as my qb. Receivers get tired of catching 100 mph fastballs from 15 feet.

44. Don’t care one bit about the whole kapernick stuff at all but I’ve always liked Tom coughlin a fine Irish lad he is sincerely a cowboys fan

45. vusnu says:
    September 2, 2017 at 6:46 pm

I see the concept of a GUARANTEED contract has been lost upon you.
    ——————

I see having the facts straight before you upbraid someone else is lost upon you. The opt out was mutual ad could be exercised by either side. Kaepernick gave up his guarantees in the restructure that got him on the field. It pays to know what’s going on when you decide to upbraid someone WHO WAS RIGHT.

46. I love that TC didn’t get bogged down in the social justice aspect. He’s a hard a## football guy. ESPN and everybody else can keep pushing the SJW narrative. Kaepernick has two strikes against him. 1. He’s damaged goods in terms of box office. 2. He stinks as a QB.

I get it that there are bad cops. And cops who make terrible decisions in the heat of the moment. But I’m wondering right now how many citizens of our inner cities are being gunned down by folks of their own race this holiday weekend …and I don’t hear a peep from anyone.

47. Good for Tom. Kapernick is a none issue among many teams yet for some reason, wait we all know the reason this is a big deal.

48. About Couglin’s decision being his own somebody asked : “Funny. Would you say the same thing if he SIGNED Colin Kaep?”

I can’t speak for anyone else, but yeah. I would. Coughlin’s the man. If Coughlin said Kaep gives the Jags the best chance to win, I’d be shocked and in denial for a while, but I’d eventually believe he was telling the truth… the man has football gravitas. He certainly knows more about football than I do.

Also, if Kaep got the Jags to the playoffs, you’d see half of these negative commenters lining up to buy Kaep jerseys. Winning is great deodorant, as they say.

Also, kudos to whoever pointed out the good cop/bad cop thing with the owner. I think that’s exactly what’s going on here.

49. At the same time, Coughlin’s job is supposed to be acquiring winning football players — and the Jaguars currently don’t have a quarterback they’re likely to win with.

3-16 as a starter over the last 2 seasons is the very definition of “not a winning football player”.

50. There are three parties in this – the owners, the players, and the FANS, upon whose money the WHOLE thing rests.

Kaepernick by his actions has shown that he generally looks down on us the gum-chewing public, and most of the ‘writers’ who lean to the left a tad, have gone along with him, to the extent of denigrating us who think Kaepernick is a louse and don’t want to see him on the field.

I notice that all those brave souls who are standing up here all have solid contracts, and even the owners who might agree with us hard-hat rednecks WHO BUY THE TICKETS don’t have the stones to suspend any of them, and – wonder of wonders – the NAACP is threatening to get involved, so this whole thing is getting really absurd.

But it’s still OUR money this all rests on – buying the tickets – full price for exhibition games donchaknow, the souvenirs, the overpriced beer and hot dogs, paying absurd prices for a parking spot 30 minutes from the stadium, standing in line with our legs crossed when the brewskis kick in, etc.

51. tedmurph says:
    September 2, 2017 at 6:42 pm
    Does fox news get all their employees to post on every Kaepernick thread?
    ————————————
    The irony is that I know a young woman who writes at Fox News in NYC. She’s as liberal as they come. She says she writes her assigned stories objectively and has never been pressured to do anything online with which she disagrees.