Ahmad Brooks was “kind of scared” after being cut by 49ers

Getty Images

Linebacker Ahmad Brooks landed a job with the Packers shortly after being cut by the 49ers last month, but the first thought that went through his mind when he was released wasn’t excitement about a fresh start with a new team.

On Monday, Brooks said that he thought about retiring when the 49ers dropped him from the roster and that part of the reason for that reaction was his trepidation about starting something new at this point in his career.

The Packers wer able to overcome those feelings when they called to ask Brooks to visit. They offered him “the best contract” and a chance to play for a team with a “winning tradition,” which the team hopes Brooks can play a role in continuing when they open their season against the Seahawks this weekend.

37 responses to “Ahmad Brooks was “kind of scared” after being cut by 49ers

1. I hope he finds his second wind quickly and can contribute right away. I hope he’s one of these guys that needs to prove something, then does it.

2. After seeing him leap over the offensive line at Virginia, I was happy the Bengals got him in the supplemental draft. I was also very sad when the Bengals cut him. They didn’t give him the time needed to develop. They wiffed big time on his talent.

3. Get over it, Brooks. A lot of people are scared around here. Just don’t get a job for Auto Trader.

4. Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    September 5, 2017 at 8:19 am

Humble, but talented. Seems like a great fit for the Packers.

———————————————————————————–

Humble and Packers are not two words that belong in the same sentence. It’s tough to decide who has the bigger ego – Rogers or McCarthy.

5. The best gift he can give to his old team is to sack Seattle QB in the season opener, and sack him often. LOL

You must not have seen that Benny Hill play. Google it. Can’t help it if your QB is a decrepit old statue that gets sacked by the likes of Brooks, but that aint RW3.

6. crownofthehelmet says:
    September 5, 2017 at 11:27 am

He must’ve forgot that GB will take any warm body deep into the playoffs. When reminded of this simple fact, all his fears went away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There. I finished it for you.

7. RegisHawk says:
    September 5, 2017 at 9:36 am
    I’ll always remember that Benny Hill scene from 2013.
    ————————
    No, you got the year wrong.
    The Fail Mary took place in 2012.

As for the all the Barneys spouting off, nobody cares what a 3rd place fan base thinks.
    Rather than worry about Green Bay you’d better hope that sad and sorry team of yours is able to hold off the Bears this season.
    skoLOL!

8. The Fail Mary was God’s way of telling Rodgers to shut up. He ignored the message and paid the price in the 2014 NFC CG.

9. “I was pessimistic at first because I was afraid of change, you know what I’m saying?” Brooks said, via ESPN.com. “I’m so comfortable being where I’m at, having a house and my family and stuff like that. Everything felt established, man. It was just the uncertainty, you know? I didn’t know what to expect. I was kind of scared. I was kind of afraid.”
    ===============================================

Brooks just described Conservatives in a nutshell: “Afraid of change”.

10. Welcome to the Green and Gold, Ahmad! They make it sound like he didn’t want to come here, and I get it. He’s pushing 34, and just got cut by the worst team in the league. He took the $3.5 Million. It’s quite simple. AB can make up to $5 Million if he hits the incentives. If he does that, he’ll probably have a chance to win a Super Bowl Ring! He has a chance to become a fan favorite. If he makes plays, helps this defense. He soon forget about any fear of rejection. Wait until he is announed on the PA system at Lambeau Field this Sunday. It will be like being reborn. ALL players love to play in Green Bay! Why wouldn’t they?? It’s going to sound like a Playoff game to him, because the Sea-Chickens are coming to Lambeau. If you can’t get it up for your new team’s home opener vs the qSeahag’s, then I would tell him not to take the money, retire, and watch it on TV 😂… He’ll be fine…
    GO PACK GO!!

11. jdzboyz says:
    September 5, 2017 at 10:11 am

____________

How about the fans? They actually believe that their football team is successful because of their own righteousness.

12. No, Teddy, we believe our team is successful because of all the success they’ve had and continue to have. All the records are there for all to see.

What’s bizarre, is when a fan of a perennial loser tries to tell us what’s being done wrong by the perennial winner that utterly owns that perennial loser.

13. As the late, great Bud Grant once famously said, “Viking fans are small people (figuratively), living small lives, beneath the giant shadow of the Green Bay Packers.”

Green Bay is blessed to have earned the reputation of Titletown, having earned more than any other team. It’s an honor to be a fan of this team.

Meanwhile…..in Loserville…….

14. wafflestomp says:
    September 5, 2017 at 11:49 am
    RegisHawk says:
    September 5, 2017 at 9:36 am
    I’ll always remember that Benny Hill scene from 2013.
    ————————
    No, you got the year wrong.
    The Fail Mary took place in 2012.

////////////

You sure care what we think

15. Frazier28/7 says:
    September 5, 2017 at 1:12 pm
    they’ve more embraced a tradition of choking lately in the playoffs.
    and seem content with that.
    /////////////////////////////////

If the Packers don’t win the SuperBowl, every year, it’s a choke. When the Vikings continue to add to their all-time NFL record for one-and-done postseason appearances, if and when the chance occurs, that’s called tough luck.

Got it.

16. flviking says:
    September 5, 2017 at 1:23 pm
    wafflestomp says:
    September 5, 2017 at 11:49 am
    RegisHawk says:
    September 5, 2017 at 9:36 am
    I’ll always remember that Benny Hill scene from 2013.
    ————————
    No, you got the year wrong.
    The Fail Mary took place in 2012.

////////////

You sure care what we think
    ————————–
    No, it’s called ridicule.
    I would think you’d be used to it by now.

17. In Teddy We Trust says:
    September 5, 2017 at 12:49 pm
    /////////////////////////////////////////////////

The Packers fans have inarguably contributed to the success of the franchise in ways too numerous to list. Is it due to self-assigned righteousness? Absolutely not, but it is easy to understand why a Viking troll in a jealous rage would think so. That’s how their brains work. It’s in their blood. Indignant apathy will do that to a person.

18. codythao35 says:
    September 5, 2017 at 10:47 am
    He’s scared because Packers will always choke.
    ——————————————–

Excepting of course the 13 prior times when they did not choke. They have a 6 year choke streak going.

The vikings have now choked 56 consecutive times or as everyone in Wisconsin would simply say, “every time.” 0 to infinity is still a possibility for the hapless purple. They may never, ever, win even one title. It is possible and considering the history is probable.

The lions have choked 60 straight times. But at least the lions can say they earned three titles in a six year span and a total of 4.

The bears have choked 32 straight seasons but own 9 titles, second most in the history of football.

19. they’ve more embraced a tradition of choking lately in the playoffs.
    and seem content with that.
    ——-
    MN fans talking about playoff chokes. Amazing. Next you’ll be schooling us on bridge building and training camp hydration.

20. gets cut then goes to a contender and a chance to win it all , just proves that when one door closes another door opens up ! unless of course the Vikings would have called then I guess retirement sounded pretty good.