Michael Bennett: I didn’t ask for this moment

AP

Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett released a letter Wednesday accusing the Las Vegas Police Department of mistreating him and threatening to “blow his f—ing head off” after detaining him in the wake of a report of gunfire in the city following the Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor boxing match last month.

Partial video of the incident was later released and the Las Vegas police said the case is under investigation while asking people to reserve judgment until they address it publicly on Wednesday.

Bennett had not spoken about the letter publicly until a press conference at the team facility on Wednesday afternoon. Bennett spoke for about five minutes before becoming emotional while talking about his daughters and walking away from the podium.

Bennett did not go into the details of the night, but said he knew there was video and that he’d let his legal team take care of things on that end so he can focus on football. He repeated many of the themes from his letter about feeling like the incident was a sign of the inequality he’s spoken out and taken action to protest over the last couple of years.

“I didn’t ask for this moment; it just happened to be me. I’m just lucky to be here to be able to speak about it,” Bennett said. “At any moment I could’ve made the wrong decision … [and] the Seahawks would be wearing the patch with number 72 on it.”

Bennett said he felt he’s had good support from the Seahawks organization and head coach Pete Carroll posted a letter saying the team stands “in support of him and anyone facing inequalities.”

88 responses to “Michael Bennett: I didn’t ask for this moment

1. Seeing the response to this incident in the comment sections remind me that people absolutely love to victim blame and I just don’t understand why.

2. We know you didn’t ask for it and the only thing you did wrong was being black in trumps America. If after reading all the ignorant comments on this incident you guys don’t see the need for BLM you are not paying attention. 11 days for the investigation is a bit much I think.

3. It sux getting held down with a gun stuck in the back of your neck… That’s true. But, it happens to everybody, not just black people, or Mexicans, or Asians or white folks. EVERYBODY. He is right, it’s a good thing he didn’t “make a wrong decision”, but that’s what is expected of you in that situation. You gotta let the cops do their job, and YES, sometimes that is part of their job!

4. if you got up and ran from the scene when you were asked by police to remain until they completed their investigation as being reported, then YES, you did ask for this

5. money4949 says:

September 6, 2017 at 4:42 pm

—-

Yet if you watch the video plenty of black or brown people didn’t get arrested, or stopped. Pull the hand out of your back, puppet, and realise not everything is black, and white despite what the media is selling.

6. Why are we hearing about this now? Like it’s such a big deal NOW…..why didn’t he say something directly after it happened. Also, that Police Officer didn’t just arrest him, he got detained, it’s a very common occurrence, especially after GUN SHOTS!! C’MON MAN!!!

7. Bennett will create an excuse for more players to kneel during our National Anthem and show disrespect for our country and all the soldiers who have honorably served protecting it.

8. There is definately more to this story that is being published as of now. Let the investigation get completed PRIOR to making and judgements etc. No question this man is just an innocent victim… there is more to this

9. SJW’s are the worst.

cops deal with gun violence in inner cities on an hourly basis. This silver spooned athlete is out of touch with the issues everyday citizens face.

As a white guy, I know I am in extreme danger going to certain neighborhoods because of the color of my skin. We do have that in common.

10. I don’t believe his story for a moment. I believe he was detained (there is video). Let me see the video of a gun to his head. Don’t blame the police for being a little skittish. It is people like him and the out of work quarterback that portray the police as the enemy and encourages violence against the police.

11. Hey Pet Carroll, how exactly did he face an inequality? If it were a white guy who’s 6’4″ 275lbs who was running from the scene of an alleged shooting and not doing what the police asked him to do, he’d be treated the exact same way. Tired of all this race bs. Plain and simple, comply.

12. “At any moment I could’ve made the wrong decision … [and] the Seahawks would be wearing the patch with number 72 on it.”
    ____________________________________

Could this drama queen possibly be any more in love with himself?

13. This is a massive accusation on Bennett’s part. It could result in people losing their livelihoods. If this comes out that Bennett’s actions are not as he is claiming, I expect no less of a consequence for him.

14. The police have said they are investigating and to reserve judgement until they are done. Then, he comes out with a letter and won’t shut up about it even though he says he didn’t ask for this. Sounds to me like the police know the entire story already and he (and his lawyers) know it as well and it isn’t gong to look good for him. So they are pulling this stunt to try and way the court of public opinion before the police are able to release the entire truth.

15. iceshocker says:
    September 6, 2017 at 4:40 pm

Because you don’t want to. How about we determine if he’s actually a victim? TMZ broke the story, some saw a snippet of video and decided that this could only be racism. Then, if you actually read the story, it’s reported by the same TMZ, that he ran when told to stay.

To support a false narrative people will cherry pick what they want for evidence and refuse to hear or see anything further. Every single anti-white, anti-cop commenter here should be ashamed. You are guilty of prejudice. Disgusting. There’s no hope for this country if this absurd hatred continues.

16. So he was told, along with everyone else, to stay where they are and he took off… But it’s because he’s black he was cuffed? Or was it because he was running away.

Directions from police apply to all, not just to the little white guys who obey them. But ya, you do have the part in common with Michael Brown, about not listening to police…

17. Methinks Bennett doth protest too much. Something is up here, and it will be very interesting to see Bennett’s reaction when all the facts come out.

BTW, I was detained by police after a traffic accident that wasn’t my fault. I was stopped at a traffic light and hit from behind. The police detained me because they wanted to get all the facts of the case from everyone involved. I was a little irritated, but remained polite, and the officers took our information and processed it as quickly as they could given everything else going on. We had to wait about 45 minutes before being permitted to leave.

Was it an inconvenience for me? Yes. Should I blame the police officers for detaining me? I rather think the blame lies on the dolts who caused the accident.

My point: A little understanding goes a long way. But then again, if you have an agenda that all cops are dirty and evil, the understanding approach doesn’t server that agenda very well.

18. I don’t think anyone would ever ask for this moment. I can only imagine what he’s had to explain to his kids who are going to have grow up in this country and face adversity due to the color of their skin. I’m sure the shock of the situation hitting so close to home precluded him from saying anything the exact moment after and it’s a shame things of this nature are so common in a country that prides itself as the land of the free. Somebody commented and said they feel like their in grave danger when they go to inner city communities and honestly would love to hear why? To think that people would go out of their way to put you in harm for setting foot in their neighborhood is idiotic, unrealistic and extremely racist at best. Or maybe I can relate to this feeling, because every time I see a cop, I’m scared as hell and 100 percent of the time I’m following the law. If only people understood the fear black parents face when their children are stopped by the police.

19. cmoney4949 says:
    September 6, 2017 at 4:42 pm
    __________________________________________________________________________________________
    You mean that same BLM that marched in the street saying “Pigs in a blanket, fryem like bacon” and “what do we want, dead cops now”. The BLM was formed over the Ferguson lie and everyone knows it. Hands up, don’t shoot never happened. Fact.

20. “At any moment I could’ve made the wrong decision … [and] the Seahawks would be wearing the patch with number 72 on it.”

And just like that he unseated Big Ben as the NFLs official Drama Queen.

And this from a life long Steelers fan.

21. He was in Vegas, what did he expect ? If he was in Seattle, then it would more of a story. They don’t call Las Vegas, sin city for nothing.

22. When I was in college in the 90’s we went on a Vegas Vacation in Feb and it was cold as heck. We got pulled over and the cops were looking at our licences and I kept putting my hands in my jacket pocket because I was freezing. He had already searched me but he pulled his gun on me and told me to take my hands out of my pockets and he searched me again. He said he almost shot me. I am white. Bennett is constantly bringing up race, causing division. That is what racism is by the way. What caused him to get cuffed. That is conveniently left out of his version of this story. Also read Colin Kapernicks Twitter in response to this and older tweets the last month. You find out pretty quick why he hasn’t been signed.

23. Hawknballs says:
    September 6, 2017 at 5:22 pm
    Say what you want about Bennett, these comments are proof positive that ignorance and racism is alive and well.

Agreed, as the “black in Trump’s America” prove. The only ignorance is believing Bennett with no proof that his story is true. Just like Michael Brown. Cities were ravaged as a result of the blatant lie that Brown was shot in the back with his hands up. You wanted that to be true.

24. Vegas cop killed a visitor a month ago with an illegal choke hold. Only reason he got caught was because the casino released the video to the family. Metro had the video the whole time, but didn’t investigate until video went public.

25. Ask anyone who lives – or ever lived – in Seattle and they will tell you it is a liberal cesspool that coddles arrogant, disrespectful, and hypocritical look-at-me personalities like Sherman and Bennett. The mayor has been accused of sexual assault, but is still in office. I wish they had signed Kaepernick so the whole country would focus on the hate coming from Seattle.

26. I’m telling you there is more to this story that Bennett is saying. Racism was almost extinct PRIOR to Obama administration taking office a little over 8 years ago. And any of you fools that can’t agree with that then you are blind and just want to continue to cry foul and complain. The fools that say racism is because of Trump then once again you are a fool. Racism is disgusting but the last 8 years it has been brought back to the forefront.. hmmmm.. wonder why??? Duh

27. We have plenty of evidence that police target black people more than whites, and that they are MUCH more likely to draw their weapon, more likely to shoot. More likely to plant drugs. That’s just from the videos. It’s NOT disputable. Does it mean that’s what happened here? NO. Lets get the info first.

28. finzfan49 says:

September 6, 2017 at 4:53 pm

——————
    Says the person making judgements prior to the investigation being complete. Weird, hypocrite.

29. You can tell a lot of people’s feelings on here just based off of the thumbs up and thumbs down. I feel sorry for all of you people who don’t care for people of color, but yet you watch a game that is basically dominated by people of color. Lol no wonder why you guys are so upset.

30. Racism is alive and well even more so for those who hide behind a keyboard.
    I’d be curious to see what the reaction would be if it were black officers doing this to a high profile white football player.

This is coming from a white guy from New Zealand

31. Actually, the majority of people killed by the police every year are white. There are several hilarious NY Times and Washington Post articles trying to talk their way around that awkward fact by arguing about policing patterns, per capital rates, access to emergency medical services, etc. But a fact it remains.

32. poseidon420247 says:
    September 6, 2017 at 5:54 pm
    Racism is alive and well even more so for those who hide behind a keyboard.

This is coming from a white guy from New Zealand

0 1 Rate This

——

i think we would ask what the white player did.

33. I will be sitting down with my hands firmly under me with my hat on as I always do come tomorrow night and every football game after. Not because I’m making a statement, but because I’m watching a sporting event that has literally nothing to do with the armed forces.

34. On one side people are saying this proves police racism! On the other side people say that Bennett was being a complete tool to the police. No body has any idea what happened and are passing judgement. I don’t know what happened, but if I was cop and shots were being fired I’d cuff every person I came in contact with that struck me as a possible shooter. You can call that racism, but if someone has or appears to have potential to hurt the public they can be detained for 24 hours. I’ll wait and see what the evidence shows before I take sides.

35. How stupid do you people have to be to find justification for a man being thrown on the ground and handcuffed while another cop points a gun at him all for doing what everyone else around him did. Run at the sound of gunshots. You can’t seriously believe that a white guy running next to him had the same chance of being taken down. Your personal hate and bias shows through quite clearly. By the way I’m white and you people embarrass me.

36. I feel sorry for all of you people who don’t care for people of color

We don’t agree with the narrative, so we’re all racists.

There’s your problem right there in one sentence, bud.

37. I was once pulled over and detained because my truck matched one that was involved in a robbery. I cooperated, followed instructions and was soon released just like Bennett was. This happens to people of all races and it’s just a matter of the police doing their jobs.

Bennett seems to have some serious issues with race since he views everything that happens through a racial lens. I think it’s called projection.

38. TMZ now reporting that when told to stay put, Bennett ran, was pursued, cuffed, questioned and released. Everyone else in the racially mixed crowd did as instructed and were not detained.

39. Given his claim they warned they’d blow his head off is being disproven by the video, his credibility here is already shaky, and when people claim “I didn’t ask for this,” they’re lying.

40. Every story has a side but the truth is somewhere in the middle. Hate to break it to you, but in this day and age of cameras, violence against cops, and law suits, cops don’t wake up looking to shoot anyone. But they are jumpy because of the hateful language towards them by blm.

This sounds fairly vague as to why they got stopped

41. Yes you did.
    Police told a crowd of people to stay out until they can sort things out.
    You disobeyed the police order.
    Police acted properly to detain you and see if you were part of the issue.

Put this in the don’t disobey police file.

42. Why are the same people who look at the video and say that Bennett never had a gun to his head because it’s not on video… are the same people that are convinced Bennett did do something to warrant his cuffing and a gun being pointed at him… even though it’s not on video.

Logic, people.

43. Racism was almost extinct PRIOR to Obama administration taking office a little over 8 years ago.

——-

Sad and hilarious at the same time. Sad because you probably actually believe it. Hilarious how a person can say something so monumentally false with a straight face.

The fact that you blame Obama…*eyeroll* Must be a youngster with no sense of history.

44. Vegas police say Bennett ran from them, refused to stop, was detained 10 minutes & they explained why. They say there are 120 videos of it……..info from las vegas metro police late today

45. Racism was almost extinct PRIOR to Obama administration taking office a little over 8 years ago.

——

A little over 8 years ago anonymous message boards like this weren’t available to serve as the platform/medium for hate speech. If you said anything like this in mixed company on the subway you would be Internet shamed on facebook or twitter or straight beaten up.

Even racists don’t like being called racist. Everyone knows it is bad. It only flares up in an anonymous mob…..you know…like the KKK wearing hoods so nobody knew who they were.

46. I really like to reserve judgement until all information comes to light but If he ran after he was told to stay I don’t feel sympathy for him. Also his entire 72 patch comment had me rolling my eyes. It’s obvious this guy cannot differentiate a cop doing his job from a cop targeting minorities. If a cop gives you an order for your own safety, follow it. It maybe annoying and inconvenient, but try and understand they have a job to do and failing to comply to an officers orders makes you appear guilty. If anything, it makes Bennett look like the racist for crying wolf and playing the race card. It’s things like this that destroy sympathy for the minorities who are have been truly mistreated in the rare case police brutality when it’s displayed.

47. Both Bennett brothers are more intelligent than a lot of professional athletes but they make one important miscalculation. They think we want to hear them talk. Clue: we don’t. Running away from gunshots in LasVegas what could possibly go wrong? Please spare us the woe-is-me diva act.

48. youngnoizecom says:
    September 6, 2017 at 5:18 pm

I don’t think anyone would ever ask for this moment.
    ——————————————————————————————————————-

IF he ran and refused to stop then yes he did ask for this moment. Being the activist it its easy to see he baited them to chase him and take him down which they did. Now he can cry foul. It looks like this is exactly what he wanted. Had he acted normal like the rest of the crowd hed have no story to tell.

49. White guy here. Never done a racist thing in my life. Don’t know anyone who has, either in my personal or professional life. The wrapping doesn’t matter, it’s only the heart that counts in anyone. But it seems like all I hear these days is hate speak from many people of color and organizations like BLM and Antifa. Seems like the race card gets played regardless of the details or the truth. And if you think that only white people can be racist, your crazy or stupid. Cops (white, black & brown) always seem to be in the cross hairs these days and I just don’t get it. It’s not always about race. Cops have a tough as heck job. They deal all day with people that may want to end their lives. Criminals. Gang members. It’s a thankless job. The build up of cynical knowledge in their job and the feeling of us against them is a real thing when all you deal with is criminal types all day long. It’s not race. It’s self preservation. If you were a cop you’d be overly cautious too. Bennett talks about his daughters, cops have daughters too!

50. Reading the comments above its pretty plain the white fans have absolutely no sympathy for Michael Bennett, let alone any other black man abused by police. They’re hatred runs deeper than the National Anthem.

51. r502 says:
    September 6, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Bet all the critics would feel a good deal differently if they literally had a gun to their head…
    ——————————

They’d likely still think Bennett was a drama queen.

52. I’m a white guy. Lived in many regions throughout the country. Most upper middle class white neighborhoods. High achieving schools. A lot of the white people are completely racist behind closed doors, but act way differently in public. The folks in the south were more open about it, but they’re no different than a lot of northern whites. Black people know it because they live through it. White people know it too, but they’re afraid to admit it. That’s just the way we were raised. It’s not like all these white people are evil. It’s just the way things have been passed down through the generations. It hasn’t been that many generations since slavery. The thinking hasn’t changed much. To say that it doesn’t exist is simply a lie.

53. I don’t give a crap about Bennett’s story, he is alive. But if were about an unarmed black athlete getting gun downed by police, there would be the same amount of negative posts regardless. Are you confused? Don’t know whether to pick thumbs up or thumbs down.

54. Reading the comments above its pretty plain the white fans have absolutely no sympathy for Michael Bennett, let alone any other black man abused by police. They’re hatred runs deeper than the National Anthem.
    _______________________________

That’s the thing isn’t it. People are so darn quick to jump on one band wagon or the other. Either they are positive that this was racist police brutality or it was innocent honest cops trying to do their job. There’s no room for middle ground and no one wants to wait or believe that due process will occur. All there is is hate. But I have news for everyone on here – None of you were there. So there’s no way any one of you can definitively say what happened. If it was a racist action, there should be repercussions, but bad things that happen to people aren’t always about race, sometimes crap just happens when you’re in the wrong place at the wrong time, regardless what race you happen to be.

55. Of course you’re condoning the Police, suggesting Bennett went looking for a fight. But you can’t admit that to yourself.