Michael Bennett says Las Vegas cops threatened to “blow my f—ing head off”

Getty Images

Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett has been one of the most vocal players in the NFL about the protests started by former 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, began in opposition to the unequal treatment of minorities by law enforcement.

Bennett now has a personal reason to continue.

Bennett just posted an open letter to social media, detailing an incident in Las Vegas in which police there forced him to the ground and pointed a gun at his head, threatening to “blow my f—ing head off.”

Bennett described a chaotic scene as he was leaving the recent Mayweather-McGregor fight, when a loud sound was heard which sounded like gunshots. Bennett said he ran away from the sound for consideration of his own safety, a police officer pulled a gun on him, ordered him to the ground and threatened to shoot him if he moved. He said a second cop then came and put a knee in his back to detain him, and he was handcuffed and put in the back of a police car until they confirmed his identity.

“The Officers’ excessive use of force was unbearable,” Bennett wrote. “I felt helpless as I lay there on the ground handcuffed facing the real-life threat of being killed. All I could think of was “I’m going to die for no other reason than I am black and my skin color is somehow a threat.’ My life flashed before my eyes as I thought of my girls. Would I ever play with them again? Or watch them have kids? Or be able to kiss my wife again and tell her I love her.”

Bennett said treatment like this was why he has sat during the national anthem and will continue to, “because equality doesn’t live in this country and no matter how much money you make, what job title you have, or how much you give, when you are seen as a N—–, you will be treated that way.”

Bennett’s strong words demand a response from the authorities in Las Vegas, and a deeper examination of the attitudes that allow events like this to happen.

And perhaps, it will open some minds as to why Bennett has taken the stand he has, at a time when his status as an elite player allows him to.

168 responses to “Michael Bennett says Las Vegas cops threatened to “blow my f—ing head off”

1. Great story for those who believe Kap’s kneeling for nothing. I think the majority of black men have experienced something like this at least once in life. It’s absolutely no coincidence, happens every single day.

2. Have had 2 similar situations in the last 10 years, once in my own suburban home, but white people tired of hearing us “whine” said it’s no big deal because this is normal since it’s not their problem. Yep, having a gun pointed at your head and depending on a cop not having a bad day when we haven’t done anything to get scrutinized is definitely the way we should live just because we have a different skin color. Some of you better wake up because it’ll be you and your kids next when the military police feel like it.

3. Imagine having to explain this story to your children. Honestly, one of the saddest realities black people shares with their kids on an everyday basis. Sucks, when the people who you are told are here to serve and protect you, are the ones that you fear the most.

4. Im sure white men especially will come in here and comment something to go against his experiences which yea some white people have the same experience but no where as much as we do on daily basis!!!

5. Hopefully the Las Vegas PD will respond with a detailed account of the facts so we can attempt to understand what happened from their perspective, before a rush to judgement.
    I’m glad Mr. Bennett is safe

6. As a black man, I have experienced similar situations. However, I still would not disrespect the flag or the National anthem. My son fought in Afghanistan under that flag. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

7. In the past five years I’ve probably spent a couple weeks in Vegas through various weekends with friends and my black spouse and my experience with Vegas police is that they are one of the nicest and most respectful police entities I’ve come into contact with. I really doubt this SJW of a story until it can be authenticated.

8. It’s worse in the black community but this is a cop problem more than a race problem. “Protect and serve” is in actuality “Harass and intimidate.”

9. ackofnotrades says:
    September 6, 2017 at 10:28 am
    ————–
    Thanks does not make it ok as well. Why are you not upset that you were mistreated my a public servant? Sorry it happened to you but being white does not make it ok either. That officer should have been disciplined.

10. This is especially prevalent in suburban areas. Had a few instances where police have questioned my parents about if our home was our legitimate address. Had a family friend who was going the speed limit in a gated community in my hometown, and the police mistook a turkey leg for a gun and pulled a gun on him. Things of this nature happen every day.

11. Body cams for all cops is needed. And ones that can’t be shut off. I don’t know if Vegas does this already. You get more from the situation, even if camera is shaking like crazy.

12. Seems odd to make this claim a week after it happening. Bennett is a vocal dude who would have made some noise about an incident like that.

Waiting for the LVPD report that says it’s not accurate.

13. “and? im as white as the sheets you lay on & ive had my life threatened by police as well.”

That doesn’t make this ok – nor is what happened to you ok. Police brutality is a real problem in this country and needs to be addressed.

14. When i was twenty, i got blue lighted by a SC Highway Patrol..I was approximately 75 yards from my driveway, so i proceeded to turn on my hazard lights, slow down well under the speed limit & pull in my driveway. Upon exiting my vehicle, i was thrown to the ground while having a 9mm promptly pointed to the back of my head, while hearing those same shouts…”Don’t move or I’ll blow your effin head off! I weighed all of 120lbs and was fully compliant. I dont doubt Bennetts claims at all. However, I am white. It happens to us all.

15. While I obviously can’t speak directly to Michael Bennett’s incident, on the police dept. I served with for decades, we always tried to treat everyone the same, regardless of skin color, as do the vast majority of law enforcement agencies in this country.

16. This is BS… The fight was a week and a half ago, if this had happened he can afford the best attorney in the country, and he would have been on the job the next day…..now, 10 days later. Please

17. It sounds bad as Bennett describes it, but I wonder if there’s another side to the story. Did the police target him because he was black or did they have a description stating the suspect was a large black man? What was the race of the police officers involved? Is their video of the incident? The first reason anyone can think of for any behavior is “racism,” but is it remotely possible there’s ever another explanation?

I have empathy for black people who are unfairly targeted because of their race, but I also have empathy for police officers who have an extremely difficult job and it gets more difficult every day because of the enhanced scrutiny they’re under these days. If people could put themselves in the shoes of the other guy, we might be able to have some peace in this country.

18. Wow, won’t believe it when it’s said, explain it away when it’s on video and blame both sides when we can’t do the other two. Never realized how badly so many people want to “make America great again.” SMH!!!!

I, as a black man, wasn’t a fan of the Kaep protest originally. The most convincing argument for the knee is made by the comments in articles like this.

19. He said he was “single out” for being a black man, then was he the only black man there? Or were all the black men there treated the same way? If the answers are no to both of the questions, I’m pretty sure he was in the middle of all the problems because from what we all know about Michael Bennett, he is never just minding his own business, and he loves to stir up sh@t.

20. I live in Vegas. This happened at the Cromwell. A stansion fell over making a “gunshot” sound. Panic ensued. Everyone evacuated the hotel. 4,000 people were running everywhere. But do you know why Bennett lived ?? Because he cooperated and didn’t resist. That’s the real lesson.

21. Vegas and Smoking Gun — get the video published.

I actually think Bennett’s size may have as much to do with the over-the-top treatment. If a man that big is running (and possibly pushing) through a crowd, it tends to draw your eyes.

22. I believe that the majority of the Vegas PD wears body cams so sue the City of Las Vegas & the Vegas PD…If your account is correct then it should be free money.

23. Whether this story is true or embellished remains to be seen but one thing is for sure…. seeing as this was in Las Vegas there is no doubt a camera that picked up the whole thing.

24. jjbadd385 says:
    September 6, 2017 at 10:40 am

So you ignored the cops until it was convenient for you? They have families to go home too so excuse them if they don’t feel comfortable letting a car get to their possibly well defended castle. Pull over.

25. Maybe those cops were among the tens of millions of Americans that saw him start a fight at the end of SB 49 and just assumed he was up to his old tricks.

26. I am 30 years old and have never come close to a negative altercation with police. Some of these guys seem to always find themselves in trouble. I find it very unlikely Bennett had an altercation with police that he can blame on his skin color. It is pretty simple. Don’t break the law= the police won’t mess with you. It isn’t that hard of a concept to understand.

27. It doesn’t matter what skin color you are, police can be just as nice or just as mean whenever they want to be !!!

28. Remember when a cop pulled a gun on an innocent white guy and it was a national story and led to national protest? Me neither.

I think there’s probably a few important details left out of his story as well.

29. 1. Horrific story. Incident should be investigated and punishment given to law enforcement officers as warranted.

2. Despite sitting during the national anthem and being highly vocal in his criticism of law enforcement and ethnic group treatment, BENNETT REMAINS GAINFULLY EMPLOYED IN THE NFL. The difference between Bennett and Kaepernick? Teams see enough value in Bennett at his asking price to outweigh those concerns. They don’t see that with Kap. No blackballing here. Simple economics.

30. If this came from someone else, it might have more credibility, but this guy is always running his mouth, and he is probably exaggerating greatly.

31. youngnoizecom says:
    September 6, 2017 at 10:24 am

—————

Kaep wasn’t kneeling because of any cause….. Kaep was merely pouting because he got beat out by Blaine Gabbert. He only came up with his “protest” story after he realized he was called out on it….

32. I’m a Navy vet, served in O.I.F. People of all colors should be outrage, because this shouldn’t happen to anyone. Of all the people running from gunshots they pick a Black guy and order him to the ground and point a gun in his face threatening to blow his @&#$ing brains out if he moved.

I understand why he doesn’t stand because that doesn’t make you feel welcome in a land you’ve lived your whole life. And the fact that so many people here don’t see this as a need for necessary police reform or say that he made all of this up speaks to a lot of the problems we as Black people face in America. Many White people just don’t care what happens to us (I always use quantifiers because I know it’s not all).

I say this, what affects the least of us soon affects the rest of us. See Nurse Wubbels & Andy Grimm. This is a problem. Not a Black problem, an American problem.

33. “Body cams for all cops is needed”

It’s not the only solution though. As the cops in Baltimore proved in August, they are still learning that their body cams start shooting 30 seconds before they turn it on, which resulted in the accidental recording of them planting evidence. The DA threw out hundreds of cases as a result. God help their targets once the PD actually figured out how to manipulate the cameras.

34. jackofnotrades says:

September 6, 2017 at 10:28 am

———————————————————————–
    Alright, tough guy. What were you doing at the time?

35. sweetnlow44 says:

September 6, 2017 at 10:34 am

Sorry, but I smell BS. Making up a story for an excuse to justify his disrespect for the flag. It’s all just a little too convenient.
    ______________________________________________________

Disrespect for a flag versus violation of an American citizen’s civil liberties… I personally am more concerned about for the citizen than the fabric

36. Cops just arrested a white nurse that refused to illegally draw blood of a man in a coma.

White people are murdered by police, wrongfully arrested, and victims of brutality as well. Whites are pulled over for stupid reasons as well.

Now if you want to debate the militarization of police, or the constitutional violations they commit every day, or the fact that our legal system overwhelmingly favors the rich over the poor, that’s fine.

But pretending this is exclusively about race is just simplistic.

Finally, I need evidence that this took place before I’m outraged. There’s been a lot of hoaxes out there, and it’s not unreasonable to ask for evidence when making such a claim

37. jjbadd385 says:

September 6, 2017 at 10:40 am

————————————————————————-
    One of these things is not like the others, one of these things doesn’t belong.

38. I cannot wait for the asset forfeiture to begin with Sessions leading the charge. Can’t wait to see if you all still love law enforcement so much when you hear the stories that comes out from that.

39. If true, it happened to the right guy because he will bring a reasonable voice to this issue. Very important to note that Bennett says he did what he was told. That’s the message I give my kids all the time. You may encounter police in your life for no reason other than how you look. Do what they say and try very hard to remember every detail. Tell me every detail when you are released and let me do the fighting for you thru the courts. DO NOT RESIST.

40. Well we all know there are two sides to a story. If it’s so bad then sue them. Otherwise we all know how Bennet really feels about police in general so one has to take that into context.

Also I’m White I’ve had similar things happen to me by police. Cry me a river……

41. First off, I believe Bennetts story.

My issue is;

Unlike the regular guy, Bennett has the means to do something about this.

Why not take a leave, unpaid mind you, but still his right as a player.. and go to the mattresses to see that this cop no longer has a job?? Fight whatever battle needs to be fought! Make sure he never does this to another human being.

If you want ‘equality’ those are the battles that need to be won.

The message needs to be received loud and clear that this is not acceptable in society. Having a badge and gun doesn’t give you the right to terrorize civilians.

42. I’ll be the logical voice for all those people who feel so “oppressed.” First, if this is what actually happened, it sucks and is wrong. However, I think there is always more to a story. Do people really think that Cops run around looking for people of color to shoot? They became Cops to kill people. Yeah that’s a completely logical thought. Or could it be that they deal with the worst of the worst and see things we never have to? Could it be that there are far more shootings by African Americans than any other race in America? So of course if they hear shooting and see an AA male running they might react poorly. Does that make it right? Certainly not. But wouldn’t a more logical approach to all of this be to look inside and perhaps clean up the bad neighborhoods and educate young AA males along with Cops to create a bond? Everyone expects Cops to do everything exactly by the book when in split second situations, that can be impossible and put more at risk.

The point is this, when violence in the AA community is no longer ignored and accepted by the AA community, I bet things would get better. It wouldn’t be perfect but it would get better. Police are imperfect. But the same mistrust that AA feel about them, they probably feel back. Hopefully people will realize that sooner or later and work together toward a common goal instead of blaming the guys who for the most part, joined to help, not to hurt. And yes, there is the small percentage of officers that are gun toting, power hungry scumbags that have no business carrying a badge. Not sure how that will ever change. I pray that it does though.

43. If anyone here honestly believes that Michael Bennett didn’t mouth off to the police officers I have some oceanfront property on Mars to sell you.

44. “It’s worse in the black community but this is a cop problem more than a race problem. “Protect and serve” is in actuality “Harass and intimidate.””

Bingo. The black community suffers a disproportionate amount of this abuse, but it certainly gets applied across the board.

Look at the white nurse that was arrested a couple weeks ago for refusing to give up a blood sample from someone who wasn’t a suspect, was unconscious and the police had no right to without a warrant. The officer on site who was supposed trained in the requirements to get such a sample went off the deep end.

There is a big problem with police in this country, and its getting worse by the day. There are still plenty of good ones but the bad ones feel ever more emboldened.

45. Where was his “posse” of witnesses to corroborate this story? Surely Bennett doesn’t expect anyone to believe he was out and about in Vegas all by himself……

46. If anyone here honestly believes that Michael Bennett didn’t mouth off to the police officers I have some oceanfront property on Mars to sell you.
    =====

1/3 of mars’ surface is water.. might want to try a different putdown.

47. I’m middle aged white guy. The son of a retired police officer.
    3 years ago I had to exit my vehicle with my hands over my head. I was instructed to get on my knees with my fingers interlocked over my head. With loaded gun/s pointed at me.
    And what I was pulled over for was I had forgotten to renew my licence plates.

Absolutely ridiculous and wreckless to pull your gun out for such a trivial traffic violation. It was my fault and my responsibility, but the force used was beyond excessive.

They are suppose to be “peace keepers” like the generations that came before them. My dad only drew his gun twice in 38 years. Both times were part of a raid. Never fired on duty.

48. I guess a lot of people think nice & friendly police catch Bad & mean criminals.. Guess some of these people never heard of it takes a wolf to catch a wolf.. A lot of criminals in good ole America that will take kindness for weakness & snatch your life away..

49. Because he was detained doesn’t automatically imply it was due to his race. Could it have been due to race? Sure, but you need to have some evidence before you can come to that conclusion. Nothing in this article provides that evidence.

50. There is plenty more to this story that is being left out by Mr. Bennett… When the entire story has been uncovered and all of the details emerge it will look completely different.

51. elmerbrownelmerbrown says:
    September 6, 2017 at 10:49 am

Spot on but wasted on those who only see racism everywhere.

52. Everyone expects Cops to do everything exactly by the book when in split second situations, that can be impossible and put more at risk.

Wait — you’re saying it puts fewer people at risk to make careless, impulsive decisions? Wow. We should be expecting high standards from police because they have a difficult job that entrusts them with the ability to kill people. So yes…they should be expected to do everything correctly and punished when they don’t. That’s the whole point of this debate.

Violence in the AA community is neither ignored nor accepted by the vast majority of African Americans. Maybe you feel better claiming that it is…or because it makes your argument look better…but that is nonsense and I encourage you to immerse yourself in any black community organization of your choosing to examine how woefully off-base you are.

53. I am white, went to court after getting a ticket for reckless driving, and was told by the judge that I am a “menace to society”. When I tried to present evidence to the contrary, he threatened me w/ contempt of court. I walked away thinking that apparently a white dude in a Ralph Lauren shirt can’t get a break. It’s not racial, Mike.

54. With zero proven facts this is what this country is, everyone takes a side and refuses to wait for the truth. Nobody will ever change their opinions or minds no matter what is proven. It’s just a us v them mentality.

55. Logic question,

if a black person feels that only other blacks can ever truly understand their situation doesn’t logic dictate the same is true about police? If you aren’t one, you have no idea what goes on in their situation.

But that’s logic. It can be quite inconvenient.

56. Ok….so file a complaint against the officer and go the legal route. If he does that, then I will believe that this actually happened. If you were so terrorized that you thought you were going to die and your only reaction to his is to kneed for the national anthem….I’ll know your story is complete fabrication.

57. youngnoizecom says:
    September 6, 2017 at 10:24 am

Would love to see one bit of evidence to support this bigoted conclusion.

58. This is Awful news and the incident needs to be Investigated, nobody should be treated that type of way. Black, White, Hispanic, race should not matter!
    _____________________________________________
    Somebody says this and 40% of the people give it a thumbs down. Sad and it says a lot about our society.

59. It COULD be because he is black and they wanted to harass him OR maybe the police heard the gunshots too and then saw him fleeing from the area = possible suspect?

60. So where is the rights violation here? You were detained and had a stern talking to but nothing extreme. Cops have to exert control. Nothing to see here, but if there was, don’t resist and fight in court.
    I see examples of over policing but this isn’t one of them. If anything this rich. Athlete expects cops to be nice to him. Poor example for this cause.

61. So the police believed their were gunshots and saw a man running away from the scene and they should just ignore that because Michael Bennett says so? I’m pretty sure the police are going to hold anyone, regardless of skin color, running from the scene of shots fired.

62. I am white, went to court after getting a ticket for reckless driving, and was told by the judge that I am a “menace to society”.

If you drive recklessly (especially enough to get ticketed for it) you are literally a menace to society. Your story has absolutely jack-all to do with Michael Bennett’s situation.

63. Ok -so loud bang, guy running, cop’s job to contain, control situation, the bang was enough to scare you into running so reasonable to assume cops thought it was gun shot too – were other people running? You ran away and likely ran in a direction opposite from the sound, which to someone else may look like you are running away from the source, were there white people running next to you that they could have selected? Need more details

64. I tend to believe Mr. Bennett’s comments, but I do concede it would be nice to hear the other side of the story as well. Regardless, I’m staying away from Vegas.

65. billswillnevermove says:
    Fight was more than 10 days ago, if this had happened we would of hear something about it by now. I call BS on this story.

Don’t be THAT guy. The “if i didn’t see it happen then it didn’t” guy. Why would someone with his high profile lie about it? Don’t you think the police in question would be ready to deny it ever happened? They would LOVE to expose Bennett as a self-promoting, race- baiting liar. But it hasn’t happened.

66. And we’re supposed to take him at his word for some reason? He’s just some guy as far as Im concerned, I have no idea how reliable a testimony he provides. Regardless of that, how is it these guys always end up closer to bad news (like gunshots) than the average person? Also, if it did occur, I wonder what the description the police had of the suspect was…

67. Anyone who has seen “Live PD ” knows this happens every episode almost exactly save the nasty verbiage. White, black, Hispanic everyone. Black doesn’t appear to matter.

68. black growing up in Orange County, CA I have had a cop pull his gun out on me as well when I was only 18. But it was after 11:00 pm and I was bringing a BB Gun back to my house that I let someone play with. But what I take from that is that I put my self in a stupid situation that If I would have used my head I could have avoided. I’m sure Michael wasn’t the only person detained and even if he was, he said he heard gun shots and ran and if cops heard the same and then see someone run they should detain him until the situation is resolved. I listen to nothing of what the Bennett brothers say because they will say anything for the attention.

69. Bennett better really hope that video does not emerge showing a series of events which don’t match up with his story.

Considering this was 10-11 days ago, Bennett has a mic in front of his face every day, but just now decides to bring it up-something doesn’t smell right about this.

70. really2011 says:

…Never realized how badly so many people want to “make America great again.” SMH!!!!…

————
    Finally we see that the real reason for the knee is not to protest police treatment of minorities but to show the absolute hatred and contempt by one group of people against another group. Thanks Skippy, I have been waiting for someone to come out and say it.

71. Bennett said he has retained John Burris, an Oakland-based civil rights attorney, to investigate the incident and determine his legal options.

Burris released a statement Wednesday saying that Bennett “was unarmed, sober and not involved in any altercations or dispute at the time the police officers arrested and threatened to use deadly force against him.”

So much for the “Well why doesn’t he sue? Obviously, he’s lying.” crowd.

72. TMZ released a video of this event. I’m sure that won’t be enough proof for most. Face it guys the posters on here validate the need for protests. It’s a real issue that needs to be addressed and needs national attention. Flame away.

73. What color were the cops? Perhaps, it was not the “color of his skin” (which is always a great excuse), but another reason. Was HE the only black man there running? If not, it is damn hard to claim that he was “racially” profiled here. Come on folks, use some friggin brain power!!!!

74. aarons444 says:
    September 6, 2017 at 11:14 am
    =====

1/3 of mars’ surface is water.. might want to try a different putdown.

You only read the headline didn’t you? NASA provided a more detailed account and 3% was the estimation, not confirmed fact.

75. LMAO why would a grown man lie about his experience with police brutality? This is mind-boggling, I don’t think anybody would want to make up that story. I don’t find being harassed by cops as something to brag about, so any reason he would have to lie sounds like a load of bs to me.

76. Amazing that so many of you are trying to say he is a liar.

Maybe one day you will look in the mirror and wonder why you dislike/distrust people of color. If you could do it before you pass it along to your children that would be great.

I am white and you embarrass me. I am teaching my son to be better than that.

77. orndorf2 says:
    September 6, 2017 at 12:07 pm

Thanks for the tip. Nowhere in that video do we hear anything like what Bennett says happened. Flame indeed!

78. RegisHawk says:
    September 6, 2017 at 12:07 pm

So much for the “Well why doesn’t he sue? Obviously, he’s lying.” crowd.

————–

Sounds like Bennett was “detained” not “arrested”. If his lawyer can’t understand the difference, maybe Bennett should retain a really attorney

79. And then MAYBE he was detained because supposedly shots were fired and a “person” was running from the scene just like any criminal would do after they committed a crime. Police see this and do what was needed to contain suspect until it was sfe for them and all other citizens in that area. If shots are fired you are going to take down someone running from the area until you find out they are or are not involved, I dont care what color they are. Everyone thinks everything has to be about race now days

80. “If there was gun fire, and this clown show is running from the scene, what do you want the cops to do? Ask pretty please? Just ignore it?”

He was one of literally hundreds of people running from the incident. Why was he singled out and they let all those others run by?

That said, there must have been many other African Americans in the crowd running as well so we have to ask what made them target him specifically?

81. My brother had a cop hold a gun to his head and said he’ll shoot him if he does anything. It wasn’t because he’s white. It’s because he was nearby some kids playing with a bb gun and they thought he was one of them and it could be a real gun. I don’t see anything wrong with what happened then or in this story.

82. mlvcfan says:
    September 6, 2017 at 12:12 pm
    As witnessed by the situation in Utah with the nurse we have a POLICE problem not a Race problem

No, it’s both.

83. I’m extremely interested to find out why Bennett was the only black guy there who had a gun drawn on him. Why?

This guy comes out and says 2 sentences about an incident, leaves a million unanswered questions in his wake, and we’re apparently racists if we question the story.

Personally I don’t care. Every white person in the nation has been called racist, it means nothing to me.

FWIW, I have also had a cop draw down on me and tell me he would kill me if I moved. Believe me I didn’t move. I was no threat at the time but I wasn’t exactly an innocent bystander either. My guess is that the good Mr. Bennet did something to call undue attention to himself in a situation that probably had the cops thinking “terrorist attack.” All bets are off.

84. Well they released the video. You wanted to see video. What other ways to denial are you gonna try to find? I just think some people are just hardwired to remain ignorant with facts smacking them right in the face.

85. Here we go, the old adage; “He mouthed off”, “Maybe he should not have been running”, “All cops are not bad”, “I’m sure he isn’t innocent in all of this”, etc. etc.

Place your son in that situation, say he did all of the things that folks are saying on this thread. Does the response from a police officer, who is there to protect and serve, justify pulling a loaded weapon, and placing at the head of a citizen who is unarmed?

I have a constitutional right to say what the heck I want in this country. Does my statement mean that my treatment should be a threat against my life with a loaded weapon by a person who is supposedly there to protect me and others.

That is the experience of black and brown people daily! If anyone on this post thinks that in America that is OK, you are the neanderthals that I already think you are.

86. It’s fine to want to hear both sides of the story, but immediately assuming Bennett is being untruthful or assuming he caused it himself is ridiculous. It’s not exactly a far fetched story.

87. Sounds like a lot of self-pity and self-inflicted hysteria/insecurity. If you were white and the same thing happened to you, the only difference is you don’t have some narrative beating down the doorway to your brain that you’re about to die and it’s all because of your skin color and woe is you and how you’re such a victim of society…

88. I was a Newark NJ cop for 21 years. Im 6-1 and about 220….a guy Bennett’s size would likely have me pulling my gun out. I was a skilled fighter but its easier to pull out your gun to make a guy give up; at a certain point in their careers, cops get old and they get tired of rolling around on the ground with people, especially when they are going to be hard to deal with.

89. Did anybody just see what happened too the white nurse by a white police officer ?

Yes, but since that does not fit the medias false and divisive narrative that law enforcement only commits crimes against minorities it is a non-story.

90. Why is it so difficult for white people to believe that the black experience in America is different? Why is it so important for you to believe that discrimination does not exist? Why can’t you admit that not every man who is given a badge a gun is a saint?

91. eddiegabriel2013 says:
    September 6, 2017 at 10:30 am

where’s the evidence
    —————————-
    Had the Police come out and said that Bennett had physically threatened them, I’m sure you wouldn’t need such evidence to believe it.

92. youngnoizecom says:

September 6, 2017 at 12:18 pm

——————————-
    Why would a grown man lie about his experience with police brutality??? If you can’t figure that question out, stay off the internet!

93. painsyndicate says:
    September 6, 2017 at 11:08 am

You win the comment section today

94. lukedunphysscienceproject says:
    September 6, 2017 at 1:34 pm

Good question. The answer may be difficult for you to accept. Of course it’s different. Of course there’s discrimination. Of course every cop is not a saint. Here come the part you won’t like. Not every black that gets arrested is innocent. Not every time black has a bad experience is it due to racism. What is getting people angry is the assumption that EVERY time a cop has an interaction with a black it’s racist. Why is it so hard for you to believe that a black person can actually do something wrong? I don’t know if you’re black or white but you have been brainwashed.

95. medialovesthecowboys says:
    September 6, 2017 at 1:36 pm
    eddiegabriel2013 says:
    September 6, 2017 at 10:30 am

where’s the evidence
    —————————-
    —————————————————–
    Why would you think that? Allow yourself to deal in preconception much? Maybe based on job or skin color? Seems to me evidence is an important thing when you are making accusations.

96. Why is it so hard for YOU to believe that black people don’t receive equal treatment? I’ve done things I should’ve been in trouble for (primarily drinking when I was younger)and even interacted with the cops and you know what they told me? Move along, sir. If you think I’d have been treated the same if I weren’t a middle aged white guy, you’re high.

97. Whites are twice as likely to be killed by police than blacks.
    Blacks are 25 times more likely to be killed by another black person than by a cop.
    Black males who make 6% of the population commit over 50% of the murders.

98. Just for the record not all policemen and policewomen ate the second coming of Barney Fife. There are some rotten apples in every police force around the world. Let us get both sides of the story before we start believing with the Language Butcher of the Seattle Seahawks says as the gospel according to Michael Bennett. Remember this rule. Innocent until proven guilty. Now lighten up Michael and go see The original Hawaii Five O as Steve Mc Garrett tells Danny “Book ’em Danno.”

99. The disconnect between Urban and Rural is a very real thing. In smaller towns, we know either the officers, the police chief or someone on the city council. Officers in these jobs are also usually people we grew up with or knew in one way or another. This is where Michael Bennett and CK fail to understand the divide. City/Urban life is a whole different beast. And as a Mexican American, I understand their jobs and respect their duty. It’s why when given direction in a city like KCMO or Denver, I say yes sir no sir and thank you sir. I also have no record to speak of, and my last incident was in 1997 after the KST vs Nebraska game. The divide is real, because of ones own history.

100. In 2003, I was walking back to my apartment from a local bar. SWAT rolls up with shotguns, demands that I lay face down on the ground. They put a knee in my back and I was one wrong move from being a stain on the sidewalk. Turns out there was a drug dealer in my building and I fit the profile.

In 2009, my car was stopped and my Wife, sister and myself were forced to walk backwards to the cops, with guns pointed at all of us. We laid on the ground and were forcibly cuffed. All because my vehicle looked similar to one involved in a crime.

I’m white. They were just cops doing their jobs. Stop playing the victim and race cards.

101. Mr. Bennett: I know you’re busy so I’ll be brief with you.

1) I don’t believe you.

2) Thanks once again for jumping off-side in the waning seconds of SB49 so the Pats could be on their 6 yard line instead of being pinned down on their 1.

102. Sorry folks, but this doesn’t pass the smell test. Here we are 11 days after the incident and this is the first we’ve heard of it? What happened to professional reporters? Didn’t even contact the police to get their side of the story??? Heck, this wasn’t even an interview, just a publicity memo! Will see if this is just a “support Kap” stunt or if something did in fact happen.

103. Bennett, what did you expect them to say? “You be nice or we will paddle your bottom!” When you act like a bad guy, that is exactly how you will be treated. Police do not understand this “entitled” generation and I not sure many people do?

104. tjacks7 says:
    September 6, 2017 at 1:28 pm

Except it’s not a non-story.

105. This may be a non sequitur, but in the 51 year history of the Super Bowl, Michael Bennett is the only participant to ever be ejected from a game…or maybe it isn’t!

106. Between the video disproving Bennett’s claim a cop threatened to blow his head off, the insincerity of Bennett’s timing (overlooked by everyone, myself included), and the details of Bennett’s behavior legitimately close to constituting resisting arrest, it’s now obvious Bennett is playing everyone for suckers. The real question is why was he in fact fleeing police? It wasn’t out of innocence, that’s clear now.

107. I have been to that club a few times and cant understand why he was in the damn street? He had to jump the wall to gain access to the street. From the video there were plenty of people standing around but why did a guy who is 6’4 280lbs jump the wall to run down the street?

108. Micheal Bennett tweeted a picture of the officer holding a weapon near his head. Also, the fact that the officers body cam was off… makes me believe Bennetts story is more true than not.

109. I’m so tired of the race baiting black panther Bennett brothers. Why was his brother crying when he saw the video?? Because he realized his brother is an effing idiot for running from the scene or because he was upset the cops weren’t white but Hispanic instead? More whites are killed by cops even though blacks are responsible for over half the crimes committed in this country. Blacks have it easy comparatively speaking.

110. I’d like to see these athletes take a “stand” for family values, take stands against dead beat Dad’s, being there for your kids to keep them off the streets. You th things that father’s do for their children. When the BOLO (be on the look out)for describes certain types of individuals it’s then called “suspect” profiling “NOT” racial profiling. If the witnesses to a crime reports white males with pink mohawks then all white males with pink mohawks in that area of the crime should be stopped and interrogated. They would also have no “valid” gripe. When the APB’s (all points bulletins) are looking for certain reported individuals the reports dictate police response. When shots fired calls come in, Cops dread it, It’s their job to respond and work with what info they had. When Tupac got shot after a fight in Vegas, I bet he wished that the cops who responded to the shots fired that night might’ve gotten to the “suspects” that night before THEY took him and his friends life. C’mon People. Reality beckons.

111. There are so many DAMN racists on here and no matter where you go in this country. It’s sad that we as a country are still separated by a made up construct like RACE! Do you genius’ even know that RACE is made up? But I guess it’s not simply a color but also a state of mind.