Marcus Peters sits on training table during national anthem

Getty Images

Chiefs cornerback Marcus Peters sat on the team’s training table during the national anthem. He was the only player with a visible protest pregame Thursday night.

Peters rode an exercise bicycle while the national anthem played during the preseason, according to Pete Grathoff of the Kansas City Star. Peters raised a black-gloved fist during the national anthem before the NFL opener last season, backing his promise to show support for protests started by Colin Kaepernick.

Peters shared a photo on Twitter of a pair of cleats. The bottom of one read “Liberty” and the other said “Justice For All.”

Peters tweeted: “Stand for what you stand in. If you see the potential for good, speak up. Don’t be Quiet. @Fam1stfam‪ #adidasPharrellWilliams‬”

57 responses to “Marcus Peters sits on training table during national anthem

1. Further proof that players aren’t being cut or blackballed for protesting the anthem. Literally dozens of players who have protested are currently on rosters. One isn’t. The overwhelming evidence in front of us is that the determining factor is Talent. Not protesting.

2. firerogergoodellnow says:
    September 7, 2017 at 8:56 pm
    These protests are causing a drop in ratings, and Goodell refuses to stop it!
    ————-

A whole less than 3%. Pretty sure he’s not worried.

3. I started watching this game hoping for the underdog Chiefs. When I saw that one (chump) player from KC sat on the bench, after they asked for respect for our nation’s service men and women, I’m Patriots all the way tonight.
    I hope your team is embarrassed.

4. Stop reporting these losers. 99.9% chance Peters would be in jail if he wasn’t in the NFL. The guy obviously has a lack of respect for any kind of authority judging by his college career.

5. My face is as red as the Chiefs pants. I probably shouldn’t get this mad, but as a chiefs fan, I’m furious.

6. It’s ironic because these are some of the most privileged people in America. Many of whom should have flunked out in high school (or earlier) but for no other reason than being superior athletes many have received college degrees and have been paid millions of dollars to play a game.

7. I would like to see what these fools who are sitting would do without football…probably being leaders in the communities and bettering themselves and their families…nah, probably getting into trouble and contributing nothing to society!

8. Why do we have to acknowledge this every week let them do as they please ignore them if you don’t like it. And if you’re commenting here you’re not turning the game off quit making empty threats to get thumbs up. Ratings aren’t going to be impacted by any of this and really it’s not that big of a deal. Free country I’ll stand when I go to games but I won’t look down on anyone that chooses not to.

9. Ironically our brave soldiers have fought for his right to protest so I don’t really see why all of you redneck NFL fans are getting your panties all twisted over it jmho

10. The shame should be on the owners who allows this type of no respect. Tell the protesters to stand or find another team to set on. Bill…you do your free speech on your own dime.

11. charger383 says:
    September 7, 2017 at 9:33 pm
    does he endorse any products I can refuse to buy?

If you are not man enough to buy what you want, when you want, with your money, but need Peters to dictate your life, than you’re a sorry man.

I see many stupid comments, but yours is the icing on the cake.

12. So roughly 78,456 stood for the National anthem and the 1 clown that didn’t. The TV producers make a big deal about the one who sat. Sounds about right.

Those with a brain know where the real problem lies. Hint to the rest, it’s ain’t about the protest. It’s about creating a non-controversy to sell ratings.

13. curtj5 says:
    September 7, 2017 at 10:22 pm

—————————————————————————————–

No they did not. They did not fight so that these guys can protest at their jobs. That’s what people like you don’t get. He’s a football player being paid a lot of money to be on that field. He has no right to bring his political views to work, period!
    Let me ask you this — what would that phony Goodell do if one of the players put a Confederate flag sticker on their helmet??? You know the answer and so do I. But it’s the same thing that these dirt bags who are disrespecting the Anthem and our flag are doing. They have no more right to do what they are doing as a guy who would have a Confederate flag on his helmet would have.

14. I emailed the Chiefs and told them I now have to look for another team to root for
    because if I did that during my work I would get fired

It’s getting easier to not like the NFL

15. So the Cowboys couldn’t honor the police officers killed as result of this BS narrative in their community but the NFL allows this to go on? If you’re gonna put a stop to what you view as one political statement then silence them all. The NFL is being extremely biased on this whole topic and the only reason I can see as to why is that shutting down the Cowboys wouldn’t come with the same SJW firestorm and bad media coverage that not employing Kaepernick has and that shutting down this BS would. Sad really that one side can do whatever it wants with no consequence while the other is stifled from the get go. Glad my Cowboys have chosen to act like adults

16. These hipster protesters are weak…they want Cardi B mentioning their names at the next MTV awards show…

#lookatmelookatmelookatme

17. llybone says:
    September 7, 2017 at 10:33 pm

charger383 says:
    September 7, 2017 at 9:33 pm
    does he endorse any products I can refuse to buy?

I see many stupid comments, but yours is the icing on the cake.

I spend my money how I want to, and will do things to get back at people who do things I don’t like. For example I did not buy Levis jeans because Kapeneck played in Levis Stadium and they did not condemn him.

Payback is a very nasty female dog

18. Who cares? 75% of football players are idiots and their thoughts and feelings mean nothing to me. I want to be entertained for a few hours a week and outside of that it’s all noise.

19. I am using my time differently on football days and nights. Long bike rides and other pursuits. I don’t need these prima donnas. Spoiled millionaires with zero perspective on the truth. They just don’t get it that they can’t go on a public rampage without getting arrested.

20. No one cares. They haven’t changed anything. They don’t really care to go out of their way to change anything. Sitting/crouching/kneeling is easy. Really wanna change something? Do something. This is all a pat on the back “look at me I care” charade.

21. I shed a tear for this poor, down-trodden black man. When will he get his justice?
    _______
    It’s not about him it’s about the people who don’t have the platform to speak or be heard particularly minorities in some of these inner cities who have or may have expirenced injustices .

22. These protests only piss people off. They don’t do anything. They don’t talk about policy. It’s all about agitation and division. Usually they have very limited knowledge of the subject, especially Kaepernick.

Why don’t they try to talk about policy instead of race blaming. Whoops, that would cause them to actually have to learn something about what they are protesting about.

Pretty sad state of affairs that the protestors are clueless and yet the media pretends like they have super duper knowledge we must all be aware of.

23. flacidcactus says:
    September 7, 2017 at 11:58 pm
    —————-
    Isnt the act of calling attention to the issue doing something?

24. Another “look at meeeeeeeeee” player. Zero clue what he’s protesting except to draw attention to him. Totally sick and tired of this crap. My interest in the NFL is dwindling. If you want to help somebody Mr Peters go to Houston and help people who really need it and will need it throughout the entire football season.

25. I can live with the kneeling on the sideline. It says to me “I’ll take part in this, but I have a statement to make”. Sitting on the table? Riding a bike? That says “I’m an immature attention seeker who doesn’t have a clue what non-violent protest means.” Why don’t the Chiefs just give him a fidget spinner and some Legos and tell him to stay in the locker room.

26. The empty threats continue everyone is saying their not spending time on football yet they’re commenting on one of the biggest sites for hardcore NFL fans. Quit fooling yourselves for the easy thumbs up. I am white and I’m tired of people crying about this. Ignore it. I don’t necessarily agree with it myself I stand at sporting events for respect for the good people but there are also a lot of bad ones in this country to where I see why people kneel.

27. Here’s a salute from a white dude to Peters. And to all you other white dudes who can’t relate to black people who have been mistreated by law enforcement their entire lives, you are CLUELESS citizens who will never get it.