Kareem Hunt: I couldn’t get down on myself after fumble

AP

A lot of rookies have debuted in the NFL over the years, but none of them have done what Chiefs running back Kareem Hunt did on Thursday night.

Hunt set a record for players in their first game with 246 yards from scrimmage and scored three touchdowns to become the third player to score three times while gaining more than 150 yards in his debut. The remarkable performance isn’t one that anyone was predicting before the game and it wasn’t one that anyone was predicting after Hunt’s first carry of the night.

Hunt fumbled and the Patriots recovered, which made it seem like the game was headed in a very different direction for both Hunt and the Chiefs than where it wound up. The Patriots couldn’t get any points off the turnover, however, and Hunt got the ball back in his hands on the next drive to start on his way to the record books.

“I had some ups and downs, especially at the beginning of the game,” Hunt said in his postgame press conference. “I just had to keep playing through it, not get down on myself and keep making plays. Honestly, that’s not the way I wanted to start. It was a rough one because I don’t remember the last time I fumbled. It was early in my college career, and I actually got it back. I lost one and I knew I couldn’t get down on myself. The guys on the sidelines stuck with me, especially the defense, they said we got your back. They were just letting me know to forget about it and come back and make plays.”

Hunt did exactly that, including the 78-yard touchdown catch that put the Chiefs up for good in the fourth quarter of a game that marked the arrival of a big new piece of the Kansas City offense.

33 responses to “Kareem Hunt: I couldn’t get down on myself after fumble

1. That’s the kind of horrible play and defense responding that will create a deeper bond among a team.

2. As early as it was, what happened after that fumble was the game changer. If the Chiefs went down 14-0 it was lights out, they came up with a huge stop on 4th down and it changed everything.

3. But you did, and it took the whole team to get you back out of it.
    The kid looked like he was going to climb the lighthouse and jump after the fumble.

4. joetoronto says:
    September 8, 2017 at 7:06 am

———————————

Tom Coughlin would’ve stapled him to the bench and ruined his confidence and probably lost the game. Then he would’ve followed it up by blaming the loss on his rookie running back.

5. Another Ohio boy doing work! It’s unbelievable how bad the Patriots defense looked, I can’t ever remember it lookingbso bad since Belicheck got hired.

I wonder If Belicheck is missing Jamie Collins now?

6. The Pats sucked. Bottom line. I mean, honestly, what the hell was that?

Also there’s nothing that make me want to root against a team more than talk of an undefeated season before the season even starts, so thank you Chiefs for killing that storyline at literally the first possible opportunity!

7. Throughout college only fumbled once and recovered it. Then first play in the NFL he lost a fumble. You know that ticked him off lol. Good job my dude. And Eric Berry hurt again. He’s the Derrick Rose of the NFL. Injury wise and athletic ability wise, not how he treats women wise

8. chieftaindawg says:
    September 8, 2017 at 7:20 am

But you did, and it took the whole team to get you back out of it.
    —————————

Give him a break. He fumbled on their first play of the game, and he isn’t used to fumbling.

Obviously he didn’t get too down, because ha came back and had the best game of his NFL career.

9. Bennie Logan made a huge difference in the game, although it is not particularly noticeable. Among other things,Logan, in his first game as a Chief, told Hunt after the fumble that the defense had his back. Then the defense went out and several times stopped New England when it counted–that might not have happened before he get to KC.

10. jjackwagon says:
    September 8, 2017 at 7:20 am
    Pats fans are strangely absent this morning from PFT. How refreshing!
    —–
    We’re here buddy, taking our lumps. Great game by Chiefs, bad execution by Patriots. Chiefs deserved the win. May both teams heal up after all the crazy injuries.

And for the record, as of this post, Only 6 people have commented, so it’s early and EVERYONE is absent on the boards right now.

11. Looked like Larry Johnson out there doing everything and making his miserable QB look good. Great game from Hunt, it looked like his hype was ‘deflated’ by that fumble, but he managed to put that behind him and grind out a stellar game.

Chiefs speed is dangerous, but you can never sell me on Alex Smith as a starting QB in the NFL.

12. We are going to get our revenge in the playoffs. Alex Smith’s noodle arm is a liability in January.

13. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    September 8, 2017 at 11:02 am

————————

The Jets aren’t going to make the playoffs. They will be lucky to even win a game.

14. dutchschafer says:
    September 8, 2017 at 10:56 am

————————-

If Andy doesn’t crawl back into his shell, and lets the office play like it did last night, they are going to have a great season. They need to get a handle on those penalties, though.

15. jjackwagon says:
    September 8, 2017 at 7:20 am
    Pats fans are strangely absent this morning from PFT. How refreshing!
    ______________

I’m right here sunshine. Hunt had himself a great game, so did the Chiefs as a whole. the Pats not so much. It is what it is. We are on to New Orleans where we hope the results will be better. You go ahead and enjoy reveling in this moment, it’s not often New England gets their heads handed to them and it obviously justifies your existence when it does happen. Good for you!

16. eagleswin says:
    September 8, 2017 at 8:13 am

———————————

He did teach Tiki Barber how to protect the ball.

I hope the Chiefs win a Super Bowl with Andy Reid. You miserable Philly fans deserve that.

17. I wanted my Vikings draft this kid! It will be interesting to see Kareem’s career goes… Then again I never expected Delvin Cook to Brin the second round.

Good Luck #27