Randy Moss says Hall of Fame voting is political

Getty Images

Randy Moss will be on the ballot when the Pro Football Hall of Fame selection committee chooses the Class of 2018 in five months. He doesn’t sound like he trusts the process.

Although Moss is widely expected to get enshrined in Canton, he says politics are involved, and he doesn’t think he’ll be judged solely on what he did on the field.

“There’s a lot of different avenues we could go down with the Hall of Fame,” Moss said, via the Pioneer Press. “The voting, the criteria, all that stuff. All I know is I just played the game to the best of my ability. I put my mark, I put my stamp, I put my family’s name on the game of football and the National Football League. You can’t get any higher. Wherever people hold me at or wherever they put me, that’s up to them. But I know deep down in my heart, when it’s all said and done, I know where I stand. I stand up there with the greats. First ballot or not, I understand what it is, man. It’s a political war, and I was one of those guys who didn’t play [politics], nor do I intend to play into politics. I know what I stood for. I know what the game is. I gave my all to the game, 14 years through the ups and downs, I still gave my commitment to the National Football League. Like it or not.”

Terrell Owens was another receiver who didn’t play politics, and he’s still waiting for his Hall call. Moss, however, seems destined for Canton no matter how many voters have problems with some of his antics.

70 responses to “Randy Moss says Hall of Fame voting is political

1. “I gave my all to the game, 14 years through the ups and downs”
    __________

We all know Moss didn’t always give his all. You could put together a lowlight reel of him taking plays off but as a whole what he gave was more than enough for HoF enshrinement. As much as he accomplished imagine how much more he might have done if his heart was always in it. He was a singular talent.

2. Of course its political.

TO is second in yards and 3rd touchdowns

off all players who have ever played the game in the history of the world.

Some from the time of the dinosaurs until know. TO is tanked 2 and 3 in the key stats. But he did not get in.

Total bull

3. Moss is a no doubt first ballot hall of famer and shame on any voter that plays politics with his vote…..but come on Randy “I play when I wanna” Moss you laying it on a little thick with “I gave my all” statement.

4. “I gave my all to the game, 14 years through the ups and downs, I still gave my commitment to the National Football League.”
    _________________

What happened to “I play when I want to play”?

5. it may or may not be political, but they do make some bad choice…Ken Stabler, Dan Hampton, Howie Long Terrell Davis are not HOFers, and we can get into a long list of people being ignored, the most obvious is Manny Fernandez, and you can add so many Sam Mills, Curley Culp, Fred Taylor

6. The man was the most talented receiver any of us have ever seen and, despite his sullied reputation, would stay late signing autographs for every kid who wanted one no matter how long it took. So, please, lay off the “he’s a piece of garbage” comments.

7. Now that he’s retired and wants to get into the HOF Moss says “All I know is I just played the game to the best of my ability.” But of course when he gave lame efforts on the field during his active years, he was boasting that “I play when I want to play”. Jerry Rice correctly called Moss out on his laziness and crappy attitude.

8. Randy Moss was great for the Vikings and Patriots. He dogged it on the Raiders. We had to settle for a 7th round pick because he didnt want to play for us. He may have gave his all in the beginning and toward the end. But he didnt give 100% in Oakland.

9. Sports are a reflection of the society we live in! This is why it is so ridiculous for anyone to say they want to separate sports from politics. Politics are involve every facet of life so it’s impossible to do!

10. eddiegabriel2013 sayid on September 8, 2017 at 9:57 am

– Curley snuck in just awhile ago, but he should have not gotten in before Chiefs Jim Tyrer, Johnny Robinson, Jerrel Wilson and Otis Taylor, players great as anyone who has ever played their positions.

11. It used to be Hall of Fame was enough…now it is “First Ballot?”

It used to be more open to lineman and defense, now it seems to be about highlight reels and Superbowls and Pro bowls(Fan voting influenced) and fantasy stats

12. Randy Moss is and was a first ballot hall of famer.
    He changed the game, and was the most feared receiver in the league for nearly a decade.

13. He lost me at “All I know is I just played the game to the best of my ability.”

He should have been the greatest ever, but his lack of heart held him back.

14. Yeah, it is Randy – just like the games have become…

It seems politics have been dragged into just about everything these days. Probably why I’ll be watching college football again this year instead.

15. The fact that Joe Klecko who played three different positions, DE, DT, NT on the D-line and was an All-Pro at each and is not in the HOF is a travesty

16. I love Moss probably more than most but to say he gave his all to the game is laughable. He could have been the unchalleneged GOAT if he would have given his all. Still one of the best no doubt but there shouldnt be any records he doesnt own and be untocuhable.

17. I bet none of the commenters took a “play off” while at work to post a comment about a player that self admittedly, occasionally took plays off. All work all the time while they were at work. Never screwed around while at work.

18. I watched the guy for two years in Oakland, and there was nothing Hall of Fame worthy that I witnessed first hand. “PRO” does not describe his time in Oakland….primma donna, baby, lazy, …maybe more like it- Tim Brown, and Cliff Branch deserve it more than him.

19. This is why the writers have to be removed from the process. Or at the least have their opinions broken into 1/3 rd of the process and add a former players/coaches vote. It’s obvious they have way too much power and like to play god with certain players legacies. It’s become extremely apparent over the past few years as media darlings the likes of Bettis, Dungy and T. Davis have gotten in over Owens, Flores and Corey Dillon/Ricky Watters.

20. It is political, no matter how you slice it. For example, how is Dan Marino who never won a Super Bowl, in the HOF, when Jim Plunkett, who won two Super Bowls, is not even considered?

21. purpleguy says:
    September 8, 2017 at 11:08 am
    He deserves to get in the HOF simply for mooning all those cheesers at Lambeau and ticking off Joe Buck.
    //////////////////////////////////

Of course that appeals to you. Viking fans are very petty, just like Moss. Viking fans think Peterson is an admirable character too. You’re shocking nobody.

22. When Henry Ellard retired he was 3rd all time in reception yardage (the same as Moss), and he was used primarily on special teams (punt/kickoff returns) his first 3-4 seasons. He’s still 15th all time in receiving yards and has more all purpose yards than Moss. Who belongs in the HOF?

When Cliff Branch retired he was 9th all time in receiving. He was right there with Stallworth and Swan. Why he is not in the Hall is beyond me. The 1970s and 1980s were a different game than the 2000s.

23. Moss needs to be first ballot. It’s not even a question. The funny thing is the complaints about Moss are mostly on the field. He really wasn’t much of an off field problem. The main complaint was him taking plays off, but I didn’t see that. He was great.

24. Not playing politics and playing politics poorly are two different things. Owens at least, played politics poorly. It hurts him getting in. Should enshrinement be based on football issues only? Yes. Are leadership and being a good teammate a football issue? YES.

25. I take the NFL Hall of Fame with a grain of salt. As Moss stated, it’s a political fraternity who’s entry is determined by folks who never put on a jock strap.

26. “we can get into a long list of people being ignored, the most obvious is Manny Fernandez, and you can add so many Sam Mills, Curley Culp, Fred Taylor”

You can also add Jim Marshall, Jerry Kramer, and Chuck Foreman to that list.

27. chipper41 says:
    September 8, 2017 at 1:53 pm
    and randy made playing hard on every single play in every game in every season OPTIONAL

—————–

I think that narrative is so old and tired.

28. alleycat702 says:
    September 8, 2017 at 11:54 am

————

Do you think Eli will get in? He shouldn’t in my opinion. Peyton would have been first ballot even if he lost in 2006 and 2015.

29. Life is politics. And when someone’s political view does not line up with someone else’s, they claim “it’s politics”.

If a loafer like Moss is allowed in, what kind of message is sent?

Of course, they could compromise (as in politics) – put him in “when we feel like it”, and then take him out for a while, then put him back in…

30. Maybe the fact that he was not a great team mate has something to do with bad reputation. The HOF is a popularity contest. If you are not popular, you don’t get in.

31. Let’s at least get the context right.

Moss was quoted in a Nov. 23 column by Minneapolis Star-Tribune columnist Sid Hartman as saying, “I play when I want to play. Do I play up to my top performance, my ability every time? Maybe not. I just keep doing what I do and that is playing football. When I make my mind up, I am going out there to tear somebody’s head off. When I go out there and play football, man it’s not anybody telling me to play or how I should play. I play when I want to play.”

32. stellarperformance says:
    September 8, 2017 at 12:08 pm
    purpleguy says:
    September 8, 2017 at 11:08 am
    //////////////////////////////////

________

Cellarperformance; why are you always so defensive? Then the personal attack? Really?

33. The most electrifying player I’ve ever seen in several decades of watching the NFL. Anything less than a 1st ballot entry into the Hall for Moss would be an injustice.

34. Michael E says:
    September 8, 2017 at 10:03 am
    Tony Dungy is proof. The day he got voted in is the day I stopped caring about the HOF.

That’s because he’s the first minority HC to win a Superbowl…. Jk the media always says that though. Tom Flores was actually the first minority HC to win a Super Bowl and then he won another one(not in HOF and should be) The fact Dungy had Peyton Manning for 7 years and won only 1 Superbowl is overwhelming proof he doesn’t belong in the HOF

35. Of course it’s political. People are political. And the smaller the stakes, the more political it is. In businesses, big money decisions are less political because of the success and jobs riding on them. Take the personal consequences away and lots of other factors go into decisions.

It’s why congress doesn’t vote what the people want half the time…their consequences are more tied to their big campaign contributors than the voters. Need to get “big money” out of politics!

36. Butt hurt packer fans on here still salty because he torched their team. Best TD celebration ever the fake moon job by the uprights.Hahaha