Travis Kelce: Patriots’ defense didn’t respect Chiefs’ offense

Getty Images

Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce doesn’t think the Patriots’ defense was ready for the threat the Chiefs’ offense posed on Thursday night.

Kelce said after the game that the Patriots’ defense lined up as if they didn’t think Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith would be able to beat them downfield, and didn’t think rookie running back Kareem Hunt could beat them either.

“I’m not sure what it was,” Kelce told Tom Curran of CSNNE.com. “It might have been the lack of respect they had for Alex’s arm, the lack of respect for our running back. The defense that they were presenting, I thought they would have gone a different way. We went out there and we executed given what they presented and we came out with a win.”

Whether it was a lack of respect or a lack of execution, it was perhaps the worst performance by a Bill Belichick-coached defense ever. And it earned the Chiefs plenty of respect.

107 responses to “Travis Kelce: Patriots’ defense didn’t respect Chiefs’ offense

1. The window to win a Superbowl is closed this year for the Chiefs. Eric Berry is the best safety to play since Sean Taylor and you lose a guy like that you can’t recover. In retrospect, Chief fans should have hoped for any scenario where Berry doesn’t get injured. The sport is meaningless to have temporary highs if in the long run you don’t win a Superbowl. I am a Redskins fans and so I have no dog in this fight. The division is going to Oakland or Denver. Deal with it.

2. What a garbage comment, it had nothing to do with respect it was they simply could NOT stop the Chiefs offense and that coming from a Patriots fan..

3. Arrogance is your downfall every time. I am sure chess master Belicheat will be rubbing this loss in for weeks. Too so for us Patriot haters to rejoice , but a very nice jolt to the arrogant fans….something they desperately need.

4. They still don’t especially when the Chiefs act like they won the SB yesterday. Can’t wait to humiliate them when they return to Foxborough for the playoffs. With Berry’s absence, they will need to double Gronk this time which will free up either Hogan or Cooks.

5. No Championship team has ever lost their #1 receiver and #1 runningback in the following off-season and been considered a better team for it. The Patriots moves were severely overhyped this off-season, and while they’ll still be contenders, they will not make a Super Bowl appearance in 2017. It’s that simple

6. Patricia, McDaniels and Belichick all looked lost every time they were shown on TV. They were completely out-coached and failed to make any adjustments at all. Not sure how you can be so poorly prepared for a week 1 game.

7. He may be right, but I can’t get myself to like this guy. Massive ego and likes to show off. And it’s not like he made a big difference in the game, except for being a bonehead of course.

8. How about that Stephon Gilmore signing? That dude has been a terrible corner since drafted, That dude was awful in college and on his best day is average in the pros. What did they see on the tape to see this dude drafted so high? What did Lord Belichick see in this dude throw that kind of paper at him? Pardon me, I have to get this out because I LOL’d when I saw that horrible signing and then Heath Evens, Willie McGinest and the “pros” from ESPN praise Belichick for signing this dude. How can people not see this dude sucks? Really, tweet me and let me know because all I see burnt toast. Watch the tape!

9. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    September 8, 2017 at 3:49 pm
    =====

What exactly will YOU be doing to humiliate them?

10. I suspect that Kelce is spot on in his assessment. Perhaps the pundits’ odds of the Chiefs winning the game, made the Pats not take them as seriously as they obviously should have??

11. Kelce is an idiot, a talented one but still an idiot. I’m no Pats fan but it was pretty obvious the Pats were lining up based on the personnel they had available. Their pass rush was nonexistent and their linebacking is thin so they loaded up with safeties because that’s one of the strengths of their roster. He is no position to talk about respect after he fired a ball into an opponents groin, he would be better off if he were a mute.

12. And Kelce is respectful?

Watching Kelce during that game and how he acted, you realize he’s a great player, but personally he’s a tool. In the pre-game he was talking about how mature he is, yet he was out there in the faces of the Patriots players celebrating a late game week 1 TD like it is the Super Bowl.

Long way to go before all is decided.

13. The single biggest reason the Chiefs won was because Berry locked Gronk down all night, especially in the second half. The longer the season goes on the more that loss will be felt. That defense won’t be the same without him and Alex Smith will return to being Alex
    Smith soon enough. The Chiefs are still the third best team in that division.

14. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    September 8, 2017 at 3:49 pm
    They still don’t especially when…
    ______________

It’s sad enough you pretend to be a Pats fan, do you always have to post like a numb one as well? You make tylawspick look like a rocket scientist.

15. He’s right, but to the point of them not respecting Alex… it’s true, why would they think he’d throw for over 300 yards when he so rarely does it…

Chiefs beat last year’s best team in the opener, 9 point dogs, and very few picked them to win and most said it would be a blow out.

But I do love how the love affair with the pats isn’t that they got beat, it’s good for them, this will wake them up. Chiefs destroyed them, 2 4th and short stops, scored 42, had over 500 yards in offense, stopped Brady, and Gronk was MIA… Every team loses players, like KC losing Ware and Nelson, get in line with that excuse. No one mentioned KC having 6 new starters on defense last night, the pats lose a couple guys and its “the poor pats defense just hasn’t come together yet”. Pffft… Welcome to the NFL, next man up!

16. mnvikes1961 says:
    September 8, 2017 at 3:46 pm
    Lack of respect- or they’re just not a real solid defense. Guess we’ll see.

——–

As a Patriots fan I fear the latter, or at least that it will take a few weeks to shore up. I think talent at LB is the main issue.

17. what a big mouth, i watched that whole game and the pats got caught a couple times with miss communication that gave up big plays. other than that they kept Kelce in check and i think thats why he is sad face.

18. thepopefromtv says:
    September 8, 2017 at 3:49 pm
    ========================
    And yet this is just as ridiculous as Patriots fans predicting another SB win before last week.

BTW, anybody who is arguing the Pats loss was because of their WR and RB isn’t paying attention. First and foremost, neither one play defense …. in a game where the Pats were leading going into the 4th quarter.

19. This guy is really starting to become mouthy. Just that interview last night alone on the pregame talking about how he is definitely a leader in the locker room. Real leaders don’t talking about being a leader. Even if the interviewer asks such a question, you don’t answer it the way he did. Just came off as arrogant.

20. scmems07 says:
    September 8, 2017 at 3:47 pm
    All those brilliant trades that “genius” Bilicheat pulled of for “depth” really paid off last night, huh?

———–

Were you one of the guys that texted Patriots fans at half time of the Super Bowl to gloat? It’s game 1 and the Patriots had the lead through 3 quarters. Despite being terrible. looooooong way to go.

21. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    September 8, 2017 at 3:49 pm

Can’t wait to humiliate them when they return to Foxborough for the playoffs.
    ——————-

You going to drive up there from New Jersey and give them the business?

22. I love how most of the Cheaties fans vanished following the blowout, and the ones that are still here are congratulating the Chiefs on their “Super Bowl Win”. I’m SURE the Cheats fans would be totally humble had they won, just like they always are.

23. honkeyt says:
    September 8, 2017 at 3:53 pm
    ========================
    Gilmore was far from the issue. McCourty owned the break down on the deep Hill reception. He confirmed it again on the radio today. Take that away and what are we talking about? Not a whole lot if anything.

I’m not saying I disagree with your general point. Other than it’s wholly incorrect based on the one game played so far. It remains to be seen if that changes or not.

24. Nofoolnodrool says:
    September 8, 2017 at 3:49 pm

———-

I assumed you were talking about Kelce, because then it would be correct. It will be his downfall. It already has been to this point in his career in each season.

25. Sometimes a good team thinks that all they have to is show up and do what they always do. I spent $500 bucks to see the wildcard 9 and 6 Vikings trounce my favored Forty Niners 13 and 2 at home in SF in a playoff game – ouch that hurt! Numbers might not be exact but pretty close. You could tell during pre-game warm-ups who wanted this more! And, they did.

26. jackodn says:
    September 8, 2017 at 3:42 pm
    Oh brother… geez man, just enjoy the big win. This guy gets annoying real quick.

—-

I was rooting hard for the Chiefs last night but….I have to agree with you on this comment big time. Just shut up and enjoy and big win. I especially hate when players start bringing in the word “respect.” With all due, Alex Smith doesn’t deserve respect for his long ball – he earned it last night (probably after sniffing Mahomes right behind him), so I wouldn’t have lined up expecting him to have a monster game either. Because he never does. And while Hunt had a monster (read…MONSTER) game, a defense isn’t going to change it’s game plan for an unproven rookie who in hindsight – hindsight – lit them up. This isn’t about respect. It’s about game planning for your knowns and what you hope you know.

That said, I think the Chiefs earned a little respect last night. Wow.

27. thepopefromtv says:
    September 8, 2017 at 3:49 pm

———-

The Patriots missed 4 short yardage plays and still scored 27 in 3 quarters. Offense wasn’t as bad as the defense. The offense will be better than last year pretty soon.

28. They DIDNT respect the chiefs offense. I would disagree with kelce if the chiefs slowly put long drive after long drive together but the chiefs had a lot of big plays where they got behind the pats defense. If the pats respected their offense they would be making sure they stay back and didn’t get beat deep. And i know belichick is arguably the best coach in NFL history but i think it’s safe to say he underestimated hunt and wasnt prepared with a game plan against him. I’m just glad to see the pats fans get some humble pie. You guys are as annoying as warriors fans these days.

29. honkeyt says:
    September 8, 2017 at 3:53 pm

————-

I think maybe I will wait to see how he does week 2.

30. Funny how pats fans want to say the chiefs act like they won the super bowl last night. How? Just because they were happy that they beat a great team in prime time on opening night? I listened to post game interviews and never once heard any arrogance or anyone acting like they “won the super bowl”. Get over yourselves. Believe it or not, but your team CAN actually be outplayed sometimes.

31. I watched the pregame and they had a sit down with Kelce. He said ever since coach Reid came
    to him and made him a Captain last year, he’s put away all his childish behavior.

His team now comes first.

Then he proceeds to shove a football into another players groin and cost his team 15 yards and probably himself a nice fine from the league..

This guys needs to grow up.

32. kamthechancellor says:
    September 8, 2017 at 3:50 pm
    That was probably the best game of Alex Smith’s life. Then Hunt exploded too. Would’ve been hard for any defense to stop that.

———

Agreed, but the Patriots were sloppy. Even though they had some good stops in between the two KC drives in the first half, the Patriots couldn’t really stop the run on those two drives. The Patriots had the lead through 3 quarters. Then they really fell apart completely.

33. tjacks7 says:
    September 8, 2017 at 3:50 pm

———–

The same way they lost to the Bills 31-0 in 2003, lost 41-17 to the Chargers in 2005, lost 34-20 to the Steelers in 2004, lost 41-14 to KC in 2014. It happens once in a while where they stink. It’s all about what they do next week now.

34. Where has the Pats fans been all day today? Pure and simple they are not the same team without Mr dink and dunk (Edelman). For years TB and him have hooked up on those little pick plays but not now.. Gonna be interestng

35. Classic overreacting by the crybabies after 1 game
    This happens every year when the patriots lose 3 or 4 games during the season all the PFT babies come out talking shiz. As the season goes on they will slowly disappear.

36. The Patriots will still win their division. If the meet the Chiefs in the playoffs it’ll be a different outcome. I’m no Pats fan but I’m not going to write them off after one game.

37. Yeah, yeah, yeah, the Chefs are world beaters again, but too bad the REAL SB is played in February, NOT SEPTEMBER! Wake me when they actually get to an AFC championship game, let alone win one. I can rest easy because the last time they did it was with another Niner QB castoff… too bad for Chefs fans that it’s Smith this time and not Montana!

38. OK, it won’t last, but seeing the Pats with more losses than anyone else in the NFL makes a lot of people (including me) smile.

The Patriots didn’t respect the Chiefs’ offense for a very simple reason–there wasn’t much to respect until last night. Slug-it-out running and Captain Checkdown throwing dink passes. New England made the mistake of thinking, “This is what they always do and always will do”. The Chiefs did all game what the Falcons did for a half, then chickened out–they took it to an overrated defense.

I can hardly wait to hear and see the Patriot apologists on ESPN and such trying to brush this off.

39. The Chiefs could have put up 60 plus on that Patriots team last night. All they had to do was keep running the ball right down their throats and not shoot themselves in the foot with turnovers and stupid penalties.

40. All 3 of the top NFC West teams are going to the playoffs. Wild Card weekend will be interesting!

Top injury might be Tyreek Hill…not sure what his deal was, with him hobbling off. Need him at full speed if KC is doing anything this year.

41. jackodn says:
    September 8, 2017 at 3:42 pm

92 59 Rate This

——

yep…here we go.. new souo du jour team gloating in week 1 and winning their sb

i can guarantee you it had nothing do with not respecting the chiefs

these kinds of players are such attention and press clipping seekers

42. tjacks7 says:
    September 8, 2017 at 3:50 pm

57 7 Rate This

——

lol

yes, the slam dunk greatest gm and coach ever, need to not be human
    to appease stupid troll fans like you

over a week 1 opener, where the pats rarely if ever look great

43. Not sure how much respect should you give to an offense when a rookie accounts for half of their total yards and points. Pats took Kelce away and (almost) Hill too and dared KC to beat them with the rest. If not for Hunt, I doubt the team would have reason to feel so elated.

Anyway, good win and well-deserved smack talk. Just careful because as NE showed, fortunes change easily from one week to another.

44. “No Championship team has ever lost their #1 receiver and #1 runningback in the following off-season and been considered a better team for it. The Patriots moves were severely overhyped this off-season, and while they’ll still be contenders, they will not make a Super Bowl appearance in 2017. It’s that simple”

Errrr…. want to bet? Any money, any odds? I’m in, especially seeing as how they ALREADY appeared in the Superbowl in 2017! BTW, since you missed it, they won! 2018, however, is certainly up in the air.

45. thepopefromtv says:
    September 8, 2017 at 3:49 pm

47 29 Rate This

—–

lol

another hilariously stupid comment

adding this to the file for latter in the year and a hilarious
    embarrassment for you

46. Does anybody actually “respect Alex’s arm?” Captain checkdown just dumps it off and Hill and Hunt run 80 yards

47. Kielce should have used that time to talk about what an amazing game Alex Smith had. If there were ever a guy who got a crap hand but still found a way to make a career out of it, it’s Alex freaking Smith. We all knew he had talent when he was drafted, but he went to the 49s and had a new offensive coordinator every year he was there until Harbaugh shows up, and then they traded him. I’m happy that Alex is finally is a good spot.

48. This is coming from the guy who got called for a taunting penalty after he gave a nutshot to a Patriots’ defender with a football after the play…

49. Watched the pregame spotlight on this guy…..talkin bout his petty antics he sent down the road and how he’s now chiefs leader….then he draws 15 for the most bushleauge play i’ve ever seen. ok i guess

50. Another low tv ratings game for the NFL… but wait, here come the saviors Sunday night, America’s Team , Dallas please save the NFL like usual…..

51. Lucky for the Pats they play in a division with 2 teams trying to tank and one team that got Cutler lol.

52. His comment doesn’t make any sense. If they weren’t respecting the deep ball, then that means that they were focused on the run and were crowding the box. But if they didn’t respect Hunt, then that would mean that they were guarding against the pass. He contradicts himself in the span of two sentences. Unless of course the Pats were employing the time-tested strategy of guarding only against the 10 yard pass and daring the Chiefs to both run and throw deep. Sounds like Kelce got his player cliches mixed up.

53. Wow, what is it with this guy? You won the game. You won a game on the road against the defending SuperBowl Champs. Great win, Chiefs played a very good game.

But you are 1-0. Get a grip.

54. Re: Hunt 78 yd TD pass reception…
    the Chiefs stole this play from the Saints!
    What a copy-cat league this is…
    Kamara will be the 3rd Saints RB to run this play for a huge gain/TD…
    The Saints were going to run this against the Pats next week…daggone it

55. Alex Smith is one of the least respected QBs in the league and this is coming from a Patriots fan. I knew this matchup would be hard because its an Andy Reid offense. Belichicks D was not good. He’ll have to adjust during the season because that loss of Hightower screwed everything up. Brady also didnt have a possession guy he could go to after Amendola went down which clearly hurt. But KCs D made so many stops short of the 1st, it was was just a great underdog effort by a top football team.

56. boogerhut says:
    September 8, 2017 at 4:19 pm

Pats fans act like it was just one loss.
    ———————-

Well, it was. The Patriots have a history of mental fortitude, so they should be okay. Plus, a lot of those guys have only been there a few days.

57. Pats are the champs until they’re not. I’m not betting one nickel against them. Good win by the Chiefs. All the other noise (i.e. respect, coaches looking lost, etc.) is just that…NOISE!

Looking forward to Sunday!!!

58. atthemurph says:
    September 8, 2017 at 4:38 pm

“The recipe for beating NE is now written”

Christ!!! Did you just start watching football?
    I’m sure the NE coaches won’t make any adjustments to correct issues

Again. Classic ONE GAME overreacting

59. tylawspick6 is scrambling.

Too funny.

Good win, on the road, against the defending champs on a night where they raise the banner.

Love it.

Long season, lots of games to play.

But, it sure was a nice start.

That being said, the chiefs will not repeat that performance without Berry on the field.

Hope he has a speedy recovery.

RAIDER NATION

60. Andy Reid is the most underrated coach in the league, and one of the most underrated in league history. Most coaches who are regarded as great coaches did the majority of their winning with a Hall of Fame QB. Andy has never had a HOF QB. He may have drafted one with Mahomes. Last night we saw Andy get some pretty decent play out of his QB, and they looked unbeatable. Alex Smith has a game like that about once every five years. But also, Andy had a couple months to prepare for that one. Most of the big plays were scheme related. They tricked the DB’s on the long TD to Hill. They took advantage of a favorable matchup against a linebacker who had been acquired just a few days ago. They plays were wide open, and Alex Smith converted. Half the time, Smith misses on the wide open passes. Belichick is a great coach, but if Andy Reid had Tom Brady, he’d have a couple trophies too.

61. Of course the Patriots did not focus a rookie running back in his first game and didn’t respect Alex Smith’s deep ball (which some questioned if exited…).

Tip of the cap to them on the win. They were better.

62. There will be a lot of 0-1 teams at the end of week 1, and as many 1-0 teams. Injuries on any team are unpredictable. Lose a QB or key players, and a 1-0 team could end up with a 1-15 record and a 0-1 team could end up winning the Superbowl. Time will tell.

63. boogerhut says:

September 8, 2017 at 4:19 pm

Pats fans act like it was just one loss. It was a big ole 40 burger served in your house in a game you had all year to prep for.
    ———————————————————————————–

And it’s still just one game.

Get a grip.

64. Kelce is a class act.
    Shoving the ball into an opponents crotch proves it.
    The shovel passes were the best plays he had. Shovel passes to a TE.

A few missed PI calls in the Chefs favor helped along the way. But they played a tremendous game. Pats most definitely did not.
    Keep it up Kelce. You’ll get yours

65. atthemurph: The recipe for beating NE is now written. Run it down their throats. Make them cover sideline to sideline and get Brady to move off his spot in the pocket and he can’t hit the side of the barn.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________

That’s been the recipe for the last 15 years, but a lot of idiot teams don’t do it.

66. It’s a thin line between being cool and being annoying lol. Travis is on the boarder of being annoying and i’m a chiefs fan lol.

67. It’s a thin line between being cool and being annoying lol. Travis is on the boarder of being annoying and i’m a chiefs fan lol.

68. The recipe for beating NE is now written. Run it down their throats. Make them cover sideline to sideline and get Brady to move off his spot in the pocket and he can’t hit the side of the barn.

LOL. I’m remembering this quote for January – let’s see how it plays out. You sound like this was the first ever football game you’ve watched.

69. I hate the Patriots, but this game was a much bigger loss for KC. Eric Berry? That’s like the Hawks losing Earl Thomas. With no Spencer Ware AND no Eric Berry, the Chiefs won’t get close enough to sniff a playoff berth.

70. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    September 8, 2017 at 3:49 pm
    They still don’t especially when the Chiefs act like they won the SB yesterday. Can’t wait to humiliate them when they return to Foxborough for the playoffs….
    ——————————————————————————
    Keep playing like that and there won’t be any playoff games in Foxborough this season.