Sean Payton: Adrian Peterson and I didn’t have a heated exchange

Getty Images

TV cameras appeared to catch Saints running back Adrian Peterson yelling something at coach Sean Payton, and Payton responding, during tonight’s loss to the Vikings. But Payton said there was nothing to it, and suggested to reporters he didn’t know what they were asking about.

After the game, Payton sounded surprised when reporters asked about his heated exchange with Peterson.

“We weren’t in any heated exchange,” Payton said. “No. Listen, I’d tell you if we were in a heated exchange, so why don’t you ask him? He was into it, we were all into it, there was none that I can recall. And I’m being honest.”

Peterson also denied having any type of run-in with Payton, saying that although he would have liked to play more than nine snaps, there was no issue between the two of them.

“Just communicating with him,” Peterson said. “Obviously, the competitor I am, I want to be in every snap. But I don’t make those calls.”

Peterson carried just six times for 18 yards, and he certainly didn’t look happy on the sideline. But anyone who was expecting Peterson to be a workhorse had unrealistic expectations: He’s 32 years old. Six carries a game will probably be a lot closer to the norm in New Orleans than the 20 carries a game Peterson used to get in Minnesota. If Peterson has a problem with that, there might be some heated exchanges with Payton coming.

40 responses to “Sean Payton: Adrian Peterson and I didn’t have a heated exchange

1. They can feed that bs all they want . Anyone watching knows it wasn’t pleasantries being exchanged there. Peterson was pissed! PERIOD! Doesn’t take a genius to see that.

2. What a waste of a talent. Granted he isn’t his old self, but when you are down 3 scores in the 4th quarter and the game is out of reach, why is your “starting” RB still in the game? Trying to get him injured? Why not allow AP to run the ball and pound it to his old team? Even if it’s in a losing effort?

3. Actually Peyton is being honest, there was no heated exchange. As the whole world saw Adrian was jawing at Peyton and he did not look happy, all Peyton did was turn and give AD the shut the f up look but he did not say a word so in realit there was no heated exchange.

4. AD is a relic. The game has passed him by. He can’t catch, and he won’t block. No team is willing to have one guy run the ball 25 times, even if he was the old AD, which he clearly is not. The man will deservedly be in the HOF, but there simply isn’t a place for him in a modern offense. ANY modern offense.

5. Sad to see over the hill RB’s going out this way. Peterson won’t make it thru the season with NO. Lacy better look in the mirror too. If he doesn’t lose some serious weigh (unlikely) he’ll be gone before November.

6. Don’t know about the young kid, but I’m think Peterson is still better than Ingram. Peterson is horrible terrible person who should never be allowed the privilege of playing football, but based on talent I would run him more than Ingram.

7. jgo304 says:
    September 11, 2017 at 11:00 pm
    They should field offers for him…he’s a waste in the Payton offense.

———————-

Teams had months to grab him for next to nothing and they made no overtures. Why would they give up something for him now? He’s washed up yet still full of himself which makes him high-maintenance. He still thinks he’s a starter, but can’t play on passing downs which makes him borderline useless in most of today’s NFL offenses. At this point in his career, he’s a glorified breather-back. Father time is undefeated and AP’s time has passed.

8. I still can’t believe that knucklehead signed with the saints. Drew Brees has some of the highest passing stats of all time, and a well established #1 back who can catch. Honestly, what is the place for AP in the offense? I seriously don’t see it.

9. aggression44 says:
    September 11, 2017 at 11:37 pm
    Lol. Anyone suggesting to trade Peterson is mental. Do you think anyone will trade for him? Maybe for some orange peanuts.

******************
    Hahahaha. Best post of the week! You sound like we talked back in the 70s. I hated those damn orange peanuts!!

10. He is simply not a good fit with Saints. As others have said, he can’t catch, and he can’t block for the QB. One trick pony. And an old one at that.

11. @Should I Be Offended by Redskins? says:
    Trade AP to Giants for a 6th Rounder. He could help that team more than the Saints. New Orleans doesn’t need him, and with that O Line, he won’t top 200 yards.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Have you not seen NYG O-line? Have you not seen the NYG rushing attack?

12. aggression44 says:
    September 11, 2017 at 11:37 pm

************************************************************************************************************************

I used to like those orange peanuts when I was a kid. I’m not a big fan of them anymore.

13. Last season for Brees & Payton… they don’t want AP to ruin their early-season form and help the team out in any way.

14. Not sure why they made a big deal about this signing if they are only wanting to get 6 carries for under 20 yards per game out of him? There are much better options for cheaper to spell your workhorse back if that is all they were looking for. Total head scratcher for sure. Then you have an incident like this where it looks like AP expects to be the main man. Not good for the Saints. Sean Payton’s job is tied to Drew Brees. When Brees retires, Payton is gone.

15. usdcoyotesfan says:
    September 11, 2017 at 10:55 pm
    The Vikings didn’t beat the Saints, the Saints beat themselves.
    ——————————————————————————————–
    As a Pack fan even I know the Vike’s won that game out right.

16. thetundraturf says:
    September 11, 2017 at 11:48 pm

62 2 Rate This

————

Why did NOs sign him, though? THey signed him. He didn’t force them to sign him.

17. usdcoyotesfan says:
    September 11, 2017 at 10:55 pm
    The Vikings didn’t beat the Saints, the Saints beat themselves.

—————————-

Same boring, dull statement every time the Vikings win. Get a new schtick, it got old 3 years ago.

18. it’s doubtful peterson was p.o’ed.
    the vikings ALWAYS took him off the field on crucial third downs and he never said anything. he’s a very good team player, just really flaky with the media and not very good self control and decision making in his personal life.

19. aggression44 says:
    September 11, 2017 at 11:37 pm

Agree. They’re kind of like “Peeps”. Kind of a disappointment when you bite into them. We sure liked them when we were kids, though!

Discuss: