Packers bid Ricky Jean Francois adieu

Getty Images

The Packers gave defensive lineman Ricky Jean Francois a $250,000 signing bonus when he joined the team this offseason, but it turns out they only needed him for one game.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Packers have released Jean Francois. He didn’t report on a corresponding move, but the Packers do have wide receiver Geronimo Allison coming back from a suspension this week so he is likely filling the roster spot.

Jean Francois played sparingly in last Sunday’s victory over the Seahawks and his departure likely means that former 49ers defensive lineman Quinton Dial will be active for this week’s game against the Falcons. Dial signed with the team after being one of the final cuts in Santa Clara.

Jean Francois has also played with the Redskins, Colts and 49ers since entering the league in 2009 and should have a chance to add to that list if someone has a need for experience on their defensive line this season.

24 responses to “Packers bid Ricky Jean Francois adieu

1. I think it’s funny GB thinks they fixed their D vs a horrible O Line, no run game and a QB who must have a run game, who lost his favorite, clutch WR in Kearse last week.

Fixing a D that bad doesn’t happen overnight, folks.

2. Fixing a O that bad doesn’t happen overnight, folks.
    ——–
    Well, it’s actually been about 240 nights, so that’s good.

Curious to see this coming from a fan of a team whose base now thinks they’ve got the best offense in the North because of one game at home against the worst D in the league.

3. He was pretty quiet since signing him. Even the local sports honks who need new stuff to talk about all the time never mentioned the guy.

4. “tylawspick6 says:
    September 12, 2017 at 4:34 pm
    Fixing a D that bad doesn’t happen overnight, folks”
    I follow GB religiously and there’s nearly zero GB fans that have said that the GB D is completely “fixed”. I’m calling you on that’cause that’s an outright lie

5. I think it’s funny GB thinks they fixed their D vs a horrible O Line, no run game and a QB who must have a run game, who lost his favorite, clutch WR in Kearse last week.
    =====

I think its funny Tom Brady is last in completion percentage.

6. That really is very surprising and somewhat disappointing. That DL needs veteran steadiness and leadership. Other than Daniels, it is now very very young. Ugh. TT. Plus, RJF helped recruit Brooks to sign with GB. SO COLD!

Why not cut our crap OL #9???

Once again, TT proving that he hates vets.

7. I wonder if they’ve hidden Geronimo’s bong? And I don’t think that tylaw guy is a Vikings fan — isn’t he a Pats fan? (unless ariani has another personality) Not too many Vikings fans are crowing about beating up on the Saints’ defense.

8. purpleguy says:
    September 12, 2017 at 5:26 pm
    I wonder if they’ve hidden Geronimo’s bong?

They did. Right next to Floyd’s fire water.

9. tylawspick6 says:
    September 12, 2017 at 4:34 pm
    ————————–
    You do realize you’re quoting the commentators of PFT and their Power Rankings, don’t you?
    The team itself, and almost every single Packer fan I’ve seen or know are approaching last week’s defensive performance with quiet optimism and nothing more.
    I mean, c’mon, we’re not Viking fans.

10. tylawspick6 says:
    September 12, 2017 at 4:34 pm
    I think it’s funny GB thinks they fixed their D vs a horrible O Line, no run game and a QB who must have a run game, who lost his favorite, clutch WR in Kearse last week. Fixing a D that bad doesn’t happen overnight, folks.
    /////////////////////////////////

“…….fixing a D that bad……”

That bad? Finished #22 and ahead of teams like the Chiefs and Falcons. Sure, not great, but OK. Any improvements made this year are sure to be noticed and effective.

I mean, the Vikings just went from the worst offense ever last season to the best all-time NFL offense in the history of professional sports this year.

It can happen.

11. With $250K for one game I could pay cash for a nice house and live comfortable with a regular job for the rest of my life.

12. Except the whole thing where he’s not actually cut and hasn’t been.

I live here – he’s still on the team. SPECULATION is that he’d be released if Ringo clears waivers and they can get him back as they’d rather have a guy they developed that’s still young and from all indications – is basically the same guy as the vet FA.

13. flviking says:
    September 12, 2017 at 5:16 pm

f1restarter says:
    September 12, 2017 at 4:48 pm
    This oughta get Spielman’s attention pretty fast.

//////////////

Why? This guy is garbage.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\