Rob Gronkowski wants holding penalties called, doesn’t blame defenders

Getty Images

Rob Gronkowski can’t blame the defenders. He would hold, too, if he could get away with it.

The Patriots tight end believes he was held on multiple plays by the Chiefs, who held him to two catches on six targets for 33 yards.

“If I was one of those [defensive backs] and you’ve seen film over the last few years, I mean, I would definitely be doing that if I was the DB,” Gronkowski said,via Mark Daniels of the Providence Journal. “One hundred percent. I mean, you don’t really ever see it called ever. So I’ve just got to play with it and play how the game is called, and if I was the DB I would do it, too.”

Gronkowski insists he isn’t complaining, just stating facts, though he clearly expressed his displeasure to officials several times during the game.

While Chiefs safety Eric Berry got the best of him before Berry left with an Achilles injury, Gronkowski vows to be more physical this week. If the calls didn’t go for him last week, maybe they won’t go against him this week.

“I feel like whenever I think about that like, ‘Oh, I can’t be physical because of the referee, I might get a penalty,’ I actually feel myself off my game,” Gronkowski said. “I feel like I should just play my game and just worry about what the ref is calling and be physical. I don’t like thinking like that, like, ‘Oh, I can’t be physical on this play or with this guy.’ It just don’t feel right. I’ve just got to stick to my game and just do what I’ve got to do and do it better.”

34 responses to “Rob Gronkowski wants holding penalties called, doesn’t blame defenders

1. goodell
    ordered it

if a pats db even breathed on a wr wrong, flags come out from all over

meanwhile, gronk is mauled all game and the same rules do not apply

the big secret to this is to use gronk more as a a blocker and senhim out on passing plays, less. wait until the red zone for him

2. mzew233 says:
    September 14, 2017 at 6:39 pm
    Big game on the way for Gronk. This is a ‘were onto Cincinnati’ kind of game.
    4 Spikes in the End Zone easily.

2 0 Rate This

———–

you’d like to think so. it has that feel to it

just play a nice fundamentalll sound, clean and businesslike road game

would like to see a back to the basics gameplan here

3. tylawspick6 says:
    September 14, 2017 at 6:36 pm
    goodell
    ordered it

if a pats db even breathed on a wr wrong, flags come out from all over

meanwhile, gronk is mauled all game and the same rules do not apply

You forgot to add Don’t even come near #12 or laundry will fly.

4. I wouldn’t expect tylawspick6 to say anything less haha
    Gronk albeit one of the best ever also completely pushes off on every single chance he gets. Let’s be real here!!

5. Gronks a monster and well on his way to being the GOAT but let’s be real here, he’s just as guilty for pushing off as the dbs are for holding. I love his game and respect the hell outta him but he’s gotta realize it goes both ways and the refs seem more than happy to let both sides get away with it

6. Some numbers to bring Gronk’s comments to life:

KC had 10 defensive holding penalties for the whole 2016 season.

Against NE last week, KC has 2 defensive holding penalites, 2 defensive pass interference penalties, and at least 3 hand holding no calls while the ball was in the air.

Pretty clear that it was in the KC game plan to prevent NE from getting any separation. Calculated risk that the officials wouldn’t make the calls, and it worked enough to change the flow of the game.

7. Concussion182 says:
    September 14, 2017 at 7:37 pm
    All you guys do is cheat! Sorry Pats fans the end is beginning. Can’t stop it. You will become mediocre at best. Probably the new Browns of the Northeast.
    _______________________________________________

Oh chip, how long have you been predicting that now?

8. Although I’ve seen him sometimes push off for separation, that’s at least partly because the D are cynically always getting hands on him and he must get a little frustrated. For Ds know they can’t stop an in-form Gronk once he gets going, so they either have to hold (if they can) and risk a flag or he’ll get those 15 yards and often more before they can gang-tackle him. Defenses used to just go low, leading (effectively spearing) with their helmets if possible to knee-cap him, but thankfully the league started paying attention to that. Now the problem is just that the penalty for holding is usually less than the benefit gained from stopping him by holding.

9. Made now that El Choke-O Manning has finally sputtered into retirement, the league will allow pass defense again. They changed the rules specifically to try and prevent Pats from continuing to embarrass Choke-O. I have no problem with a lot of hand fighting as long as it’s consistent.

10. Gronk is great. No doubt about it. But dude…stop the whining and try to act like you’ve been there before. Because you have. So act like it.

11. There you go again Pats fans. I told you months that you would lose your first game, many more too come by the way. You guys are no different than the Eagles back a few years ago with the nobody can beat us attitude. I told you before you are beginning your decline. Get used too it. Nothing you can do about it. It’s inevitable!!!

12. boogerhut says:
    September 14, 2017 at 6:58 pm
    tylawspick6 says:
    September 14, 2017 at 6:36 pm
    goodell
    ordered it

if a pats db even breathed on a wr wrong, flags come out from all over

meanwhile, gronk is mauled all game and the same rules do not apply

You forgot to add Don’t even come near #12 or laundry will fly.

Clearly you don’t actually watch games or even bother to look up stats.

13. Concussion182 says:
    September 14, 2017 at 9:23 pm

Well done Karnak! You won a 50/50 bet! You should run to Vegas asap!

14. Concussion182 says:
    September 14, 2017 at 9:23 pm
    ===========================
    Months ?!?!?!? Try years. Pats fans have been hearing your rant for quite awhile now. At some point you are bound to be correct. Something tells me it won’t be after just one game though.

15. Be careful what you wish for Gronky baby. As many have already said, if the officials start watching you more they will catch you pushing off on almost every play.

16. It seems to be cyclical: for the last couple of years they really tightened the calls against the defensive backs and there was a significant uptick in defensive interference calls, supposedly to open up the passing game and make the games more exciting. It’s a too early to tell but it would kind of suck if they go the other way this year…