Mike Tomlin angry that Trump comments dragged the NFL into B.S.

Getty Images

After his team declined to participate in the national anthem today, a visibly angry Steelers coach Mike Tomlin addressed President Trump’s comments, saying it’s wrong to drag the NFL into a political morass.

Tomlin had his team stay in the locker room for the national anthem because he didn’t want them to be divided after Trump called on NFL players who protest during the anthem to be fired.

“We will not be divided by this,” Tomlin said. “We got a group of men in there that come from different socioeconomic backgrounds, races, creeds, ethnicities, religions and so forth. That’s football, that’s a lot of team sports. But because of opposition, we get drug into bulls–t, to be quite honest with you. Some have opinions, some don’t. We wanted to protect those that don’t, we wanted to protect those that do. We came here to play a football game today and that was our intentions.”

The Steelers were not, however, completely united staying in the locker room for the anthem. One Steeler, Alejandro Villanueva, exited the locker room and stood at attention just outside the players’ tunnel as the anthem was played in Chicago. Villanueva is a West Point graduate and veteran of three tours of duty in Afghanistan.

119 responses to “Mike Tomlin angry that Trump comments dragged the NFL into B.S.

1. Kaepernick started it, and his followers kept it going. If you thought we were going to shut up and take it while our military, police and country were being disrespected by millennials hijacking the game you were sadly mistaken.

2. Slow down there trippy, the players forced this political non-sense into the game last year. We just have somebody with some guts to address it. NFL will fine you if your socks are not right but allow you to freely to protest against the United States….that doesn’t seem to match up to many now former NFL followers. Players drew first blood.

3. Trump is a narcissistic self-centered blowhard. Why would stick his nose in this? To rally his knuckle-dragging supporters and take attention away from his ability to accomplish nothing, that’s why.

Don’t tell me I don’t love my country if I choose life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness FOR EVERYBODY.

4. Tomlin doesn’t get it and never will. To my knowledge every Steeler stood prior to today. He made this bigger than it had to be. Villanueva is the only one worth a damn on that team. Sad to lose one of my favorite forms of entertainment.

5. Kapernick did not start it, it’s the fools who whine about it who did. If you don’t like it too bad but you made the big deal about it by complaining so loudly.

6. Tomlin wouldn’t be saying anything right now if he did his job and coached his team in football instead of making political statements.

7. I’m a Ravens fan. First, the title is a misleading. Second he did his own thing to keep focus on the team. I give him credit for that.

8. So you can’t tell the players to stand because that would be un-American, but you can tell a 3-tour Ranger that he cannot participate in the Anthem on the field? Got it…

9. Trump is just trying take distract attention, while he tries to steal health care coverage away from millions of young children. Good thing American war hero, and Republican Senator John McCain is a looking after our country. Who are you with, a draft dodger or a war hero.?

10. What’s next Tomlin are you going to fine Alejandro Villanueva for “disobeying” your order to stay in the locker room?

Alejandro Villanueva represented himself with class, I can’t say the same for the of the Steelers organization.

11. Typical. It was a player and then other players who started to kneel and bringing ‘politics’ into the game and many fans didn’t like it and all the president did was voice what those fans were thinking.

Just ONCE I want to see people actually take responsibility for things they bring on themselves. JUST ONCE.

Tomlin is a clown.

12. riland33 says:
    September 24, 2017 at 7:55 pm
    Tomlin you ignorant fool -it was kaipernic who started this bs

Before you hit “post” check your spelling, especially when you call someone else ignorant. SMH

13. It appears with the NFL has forgotten the ancient business rule since the beginning of recorded history; “the customer is always right”. It is a measure of their hubris and arrogance that they don’t listen to fans and treat them with contempt like they are an ATM machine to loot.If they keep going on this trajectory the NFL will become the Kodak Corporation of the sports world who no longer exist.

14. I wish you Trump backers had half the energy to put into America and Americans as you do cheap and tawdry populism, being sold by a hypocritical shyster like some star spangled pimp.

15. triptomlin says:

Kapernick did not start it
    ==========================================

Yeah he did. That’s not even debatable.

16. Do what you want, but the majority of fans just want to see football without this type of drama and have the right to show displeasure

17. sphincterorleaveher says:

=============================================

Well, this Trump backer was on active duty for a quarter of a century as an infantryman. Does that count? How about you?

18. And I’m angry you Tomlin, who says you prides yourseld on discipline and following protocol, didn’t step in and tell you players to stand up and be respectful. Trump said what needed to be said but you and the rest of the spoiled NFL folks feel you are above it all. I once cheered for you but no more. I am sure you could care less about my take but I hope the NFL feels the pain of all their baffonery where it hurts most……reduced viewership which directly costs the league $$$$$. Time for fans to speak up……we have listened long enough to unpatriotic whiners!!!

19. tomlin doesn’t understand that the players are the ones that started this stupidity and are prolonging it. They are protesting the wrong thing at the wrong time.

20. The players did not stay in the locker room. Why can’t they get the story straight? There is as clear picture out there of the team standing in the tunnel with some guys holding their hand over their hearts behind Villanueva who stepped out of the tunnel. I don’t agree 100% with that either but the story should be correct.

21. HeavyD says:

You gotta be a special kind of ignorant to think any president using language like he did against any citizen is ok.
    =================================================

Yeah really, next he’ll be calling the players a basket of deplorables.

22. I’m guessing the Steelers don’t appreciate draft dodging, phony Patriot Trump preaching to them about how to be patriotic. Or creating a distraction before an important game.

23. Sad thing happened in the south today at that church, the black idiot that went into white church and opened fire. I just sure hope it gets as much attention as when that white idiot went into the black church and opened fire. What shirt was he wearing? You know the white idiot had a rebel flag shirt. So of this idiot had a certain shirt on we must protest about that.

24. Let’s get this straight RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW, Tomlin. it was the PLAYERS who dragged your league into the political spotlight. PERIOD. Too insinuate that it went down in ANY other way is disengenuous and preposterous all at the same time.

You want to get mad at the people who did this?? Start in your own locker room and work your way around the league, buddy.

25. Wrong … the root cause was Colin Kaepernick. And the NFL owners and players took the Trump bait and are the ones with the most to lose.

You all alienated upwards of half of your paying customers today. That’s not a smart business approach.

26. Being a former Marine I understand the dilemma NFL head coaches, and owners are in. The only problem they should have stopped this right from the beginning. People voted for Trump because of the disrespect shown to our anthem, country and veterans. 70% agree with Trump by him sticking up for America against anti-Americanism only makes him more popular. I didn’t like him until I started to see him fight for the middle class, and the disrespected over the last 8 years. I appreciate he’s taking a bullet for us and I won’t forget it.

As for Tomlin I have said before if these players don’t like the country they are in stay in the clubhouse, and don’t anger the people that pay your salaries in those stands and on those TVs. He did the best thing, and the fans let them know their opinion when they came out.

The fact that so many people support this country, and the military is heartening. Don’t think every soldier, and every first responder doesn’t appreciate your fans support.

27. HeavyD says:
    September 24, 2017 at 7:59 pm

——

But a lot of them probably wished they had been there to cheer him on. Which is the only reason he does it in the first place.

28. Trump is a narcissistic self-centered blowhard. Why would stick his nose in this? To rally his knuckle-dragging supporters and take attention away from his ability to accomplish nothing, that’s why.

———————————————–

Thats very noble…However, your leftist heros of your party only dole out equality, based on race, sex and groups of people and income, all nice wrapped into little boxes, and any people thinking outside their designated box are deemed troublemakers….

White men who don’t bow down to the left, and Black conservatives come to mind…Until the left looks at people individually the march toward authoritarian socialism and group think will march on…Eventually to deaf and uncaring wears..

29. How did Trump drag the NFL into this? All he did was comment on what the NFL was into up to their ears already. As I recall it was Kaepernick that got the credit for starting this and he was being applauded for it. Remember? He was starting conversation, all that buzzing about how great it was that someone was getting dialog going. And then other players joined in.It was so heroic. Remember?

30. Charlie Charger must have a selective memory. Apparently he doesn’t remember McCain being strongly in support of repeal. When his political life depended on it. Now he’s safe politically, his true colors show.

31. To me, the national anthem and the pledge of allegiance is about respect. Respect for the flag and the freedoms that have been fought for by those brave men and women every single day. The first amendment is one if those freedoms but the National anthem is not appropriate avenue for protest. Tomlin had a divided locker room after Trump’s comments and it was not his decision in what the player
    s did.

32. I knew this was coming. Progressives love causing trouble and then blaming everyone else. Remember, the DNC got caught sending people to Trump rallies to start fights that their media allies would then blame on a Trump. This is what they are.

33. I was born in Pittsburgh as was my father who fought in WW2. As did my Uncle in Korea They would have come out of the tunnel, as the Flag has a fifferent meaning because of a different team they were once on.

Tomlin should have stood arm in arm and let Villenueva do his thing. I can’t even imagine one police officer (I’m a retired detective) or veteran staying in the locker room.

It’s impossible to explain unless you’ve been to a police funeral or in a combat zone (here or abroad). You don’t expect people to understand or even to say than you. In fact, you don’t care because you have the respect of your fellow officers or veterans, whichever the case may be. I was at the WTC and lost friends. Black and white.

Villenueva would have been disrespecting those he fought with by staying in the locker room and disrespecting his team and HC by going out. He made the right choice. Fighting for your life and other’s freedom (or protecting it) means something and some people don’t get it nor ever will.

For the life of me and I mean literally for the rest of my life there is no way, shape or form I would EVER disrespect the fellow cops that I worked with and will love them and they’ll be inside of me forever. I think the Steelers LT feels the same way. That is why he left the locker room. The first team he was on is something that stays in your core forever.

34. And Goodell had the audacity to rebuke Trump by saying NFL franchises are enormous forces for good in the community. Lol. Oh you mean how he is allowing Oakland to abandon the urban youths there so the franchise can chase taxpayer dollars in small market Las Vegas?

The only BS is the NFL (and Tomlin!)

35. Trump could’ve avoided of this by saying something like,”instead of kneeling for the anthem, I want to invite all the players to come and talk about what we can do to make things better. Let’s make this better for everyone. ” The complainer in chief can’t hold back his tongue most of the time.

36. triptomlin says:
    September 24, 2017 at 7:57 pm
    Trump is a buffoon as is anybody that voted for him.
    _____________________________________

Translation: I’m right, I have the moral high ground and if your intolerant azz doesn’t agree it should be burned at the stake. Is it that far beyond your ability to recognize that Trump’s election had as much, if not more, to do with repudiating his opponent? The agenda driven 2 party system utterly failed the American electorate with it’s candidates and once again it was forced to choose between what it perceived as the lesser of 2 evils.

37. Uggg. My wife has been on my ass to cancel Sunday Ticket because I just kind of “Oh, really”‘d it when she saw the bill. I was a sly mo’fo to get around it. Now, Im not sure the tactically side of marital deception for my love of the game has payed off. I have no respect for these protests, but if you watch the game you sure as hell will have someone pointing them out a couple of times per hour.

BUT, if I cancel Sunday Ticket and with the baseball season ending, I am going to have a to-do list from the wife. Decisions, decisions………

38. ROFLMAO!! They didn’t need to respond. No one needed to! Mike is tripping over losing to Mike Glennon but at least he isn’t tripping a player. What an @$$

39. Most people just miss the whole point. The flag isn’t about the military or first responders. It’s based on the premise that we all have a equal shot at achieving our dreams with hardwork. That is far from what is going on. If you cannot see that than your apart of the problem. Have the same passion you have for the flag for humanity. Get angry when you see innocent people killed, stand up when u see black coworkers do the same jobs as you but never get recognized. Stand up when women are degraded. Stand up when schools arent evenly supported. Stand up when everything you expect for yourself is not a hope for others. Then and only than will we all actually stand for the pricinpals of the flag even when others kneel!!

40. I’m a Steelers fan through and through, and I call BS on Tomlin. These protests are also useless, IMO, because they have accomplished absolutely zero. They certainly have the right to demonstrate, and they claim it is not about patriotism, the flag etc. If it’s not about that, then why choose that very symbol as the time for the “protest?” The Steelers should have treated this week as any other week…prepared to play the Bears, that’s it…that is what they are paid to do. Instead, Tomlin has them stay in the locker room, obviously against some’s wishes…it all adds up to a fractured locker room.

41. Right Mike. It’s all Trump’s fault black athletes have been kneeling for the anthem and raising black power fists since last year. Right? Another clueless Dolt Tomlin is. Trump got elected in the first place because average Americans are tired of all the racial double standards. All the players’ actions are going to do is put the league’s ratings farther down the toilet and strengthen Trump’s base.

42. sphincterorleaveher says:
    September 24, 2017 at 8:01 pm

——–

You mean sold like “Hope and Change”? Or sold like “If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor”….

Liberals have no high ground on which to stand

43. As soon as Tomlin announced he would keep this team in the locker room, I said to myself, I hope they lose because Tomlin is making a mountain out of a mole hill. He should be far more concern about getting his team ready to play, and the score today shows he failed to do his job.

44. Michael E says:
    September 24, 2017 at 8:04 pm
    sphincterorleaveher says:

=============================================

============================================

Served in the Air Force. Certainly not 25 years though. Does it count? Sure it does. Is it enough? You tell me. You, like me, took the oath, and you’re backing a guy who sold out to the Russians, a sworn enemy. Treasonous behavior of which I cannot back. I guess you’re OK with it. Somehow.

45. Wrong. Politics were dragged into the NFL, pushed by a false narrative. And since the door had been opened, and left open,OUR President let himself in. The victim mentality, identity politics, and politics in sports all happened before Trump…

46. Tomlin should worry about preparing his team to play against teams that they should best. He does a terrible job, but he could be a great mouthpiece for anybody as he is full of bs.

47. Soldier Field is a WW1 war memorial, would this team be ok with doing that at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier? Shameful behavior, I was there and as a veteran I was deeply saddened at this disrespect.

48. I wish all of you guys who are going to give up watching the NFL would hurry up and do so. The rest of us would like to talk football without politics on either side.

49. Why isn’t the true story being put out? Tomlin told his team that they either stand together on the field or they don’t take the field because he did not want a fracture out there. The players decided that they would not take the field during the anthem. They stayed in the tunnel and you can clearly see the players standing during the anthem, hands over hearts, and Ben sang along with his eyes closed like he always does. Villanueva, god bless him, stepped out from the tunnel alone. To say that Tomlin kept them in the locker room and made them sit is false. I don’t agree with this method either but the story should be at least accurate.

50. stellarperformance says:
    September 24, 2017 at 7:54 pm

—————————
    Typical Lib, rant and rave and call people names instead of making a good point. Walks like a lib and talks like a lib must be a lib. You’re no Villanueva.

51. Time to get rid of the National Anthem at sporting events. Piss on anyone who clings to meaningless tradition that opposes progress. If our forefathers hadn’t pissed on the supposed sovereignty of England and the Crown’s Law, we wouldn’t be the country we are today.

Outside of the Olympics and other international sporting events, there is simply and factually ZERO need for patriotism, nationalism or symbolic gestures of any related sort. This stuff was purposefully inserted into team sports to attract a larger fanbase and to lend artificial gravity and importance to what is nothing more than athletic competition between athletes. That’s it, that’s all.

I don’t love much of my country and I love much of it all the same. I think patriotism is a fool’s game for anyone other than those who actively work for the betterment of their nation, I think symbolism is given far too much reverence and respect considering the inherent subjectivity of it, and I think sports not involving international competition have absolute zero responsibility or cause to use either as filler and advertising for their games.

I also am an independent, an Agnostic, and a supporter of maybe half a dozen politicians (in the country) from my knowledge of hundreds both on the federal and state/local levels.

If any of that matters. Seems to these days. Having an opinion isn’t valid unless you have the credentials others seek to back it up, missing the clear point that the only proven credential one needs is active intelligence.

52. Hypocritical snowflakes get worked up about a player taking a knee in peaceful protest. But think monuments to people who led armed rebellions against the United States should stay. You can’t make it up folks. Btw, I know Kaep’s protest against police is largely misinformed, that’s why it never bothered me.

53. kevbofinsfan says:

Time to get rid of the National Anthem at sporting events.
    ==================================================

No. Get rid of any traitor who disrespects it.

54. Hey kevbo: this is the NATIONAL Football League. It’s a combination of the AMERICAN Football League and the NATIONAL football league.

The league either wants to be part of America or it wants to trash us. Clearly they’ve made their choice.

55. smithdp says:

==============================================================

56. In just the last couple of weeks, we’ve seen Trump’s reactions to Charlottesville, the Arpaio pardon, then DACA and now this garbage against black NBA/NFL players.
    It’s pretty clear what Trump is all about, and who he’s pandering to.

57. Michael E says:

“Time to get rid of the National Anthem at sporting events.
    ==================================================
    No. Get rid of any traitor who disrespects it.”

How about cowardly draft dodgers who engage hostile foreign governments to influence elections?

58. I’ve never thought kneeling for the national anthem was an appropriate way to open a dialogue on race and always thought Goodell should have dealt with this when it started–probably by fining Kaepernick according to the rules set forth in the NFL’s own handbook for proper behavior during the anthem. But Goodell missed that opportunity, and it’s gone too far now. It’s become a civil rights protest. Ill-conceived or not, the players have a right to peaceful protest. The president is breaking his vow to uphold the Constitution by trying to get the players boycotted and fired for speaking out against the government–he’s violating the essence of the First Amendment.

The Steelers sought a rational compromise. Many of them reasonably took issue with having their colleagues threatened and called SOBs. But since they couldn’t, to a man, agree to kneel for the anthem, they decided to remain in the tunnel. There’s nothing disrespectful in that. I’m sure the people ranting at them have, at some point, talked, texted, or sat on their fat behinds on the couch during the anthem, so give it a rest. I love my country. But I’ll support my Steelers until hell freezes over.

59. He’s right but the genie is out of the bottle now. Casual observers are going to take a deeper dive and look at how the NFL goes about its business and they are going to be exposed for the bafoons they are.

60. Hypocritical snowflakes get worked up about about everyone who gives a negative opinion of it. Sucks when the other side exercises the same rights, huh?

___________________________________________________

Snowflake on Bro, free speech and all…;’)

61. Why do you try being a leader/person in charge instead of a cheerleader there coach. You as the coach can tell your players to go out there, stand until the anthem is finished being respectful, and just do their job which is to play football. The NFL is a private business which can tell their employees what to say and do in the work place and unlike what most people think the first amendment says, it does not cover or protect people in this situation. It is amazing how much these idiot players and coaches throw around the first amendment talk, but few really know what it says and means. Every NFL employee looked like a total fool today…kudos to you.

62. You only had ONE player to come out for the National Anthem, to him I have the utmost respect for…the rest of the NFL kneelers : Your ALL a bunch of overpaid spoiled a-holes that either don’t care or are just ignorant about WHAT our National Anthem and the sacrifices of the men & women of ALL colors gave to let YOU ungrateful athletes kneel!
    Yeah Tomlin, staying in the locker room didn’t do ANYTHING to help the cause because Villanuave was the ONLY Steeler to leave the it! He apparently didnt believe in your theory of team unity!

63. How about cowardly draft dodgers who engage hostile foreign governments to influence elections——————————————————

During 3 congressional investigations, and Mueller with his 14 Hillary donators haven’t found a thing, nor will they. However Awan, Comey, Schultz, Brenner Rice and Powers problems are warming nicely thank you…

64. I like the fact that we have a President who stands up for our country as opposed to Obama who went around the world blaming America and apologizing.

65. Donald Trump…. Haha haha haha. I can’t wait till he is a history lesson on treason and he’s given a traitors punishment. ##illegitimate45

66. Sorry Mike but this one is on you. You cannot ignore the antics of a petulant child and then complain when the results bite you. Between the antics of the players and the disrespect they showed for the flag and those who fought & died for it to the rhetoric of ESPN is it any wonder that ratings are headed into the tank?

PS: Your team stayed in the lockerroom for the game and let a lower talent team from Chicago beat you!!!

67. President Trump dragging the NFL into this? For real? The NFL started this and let it continue. As Commander in Chief he has every right to say something and certainly didn’t start it.

68. cincinnati222 says:
    September 24, 2017 at 9:58 pm

———_

Treason? You mean like selling 25% of our country’s uranium to the Russians?

69. Tomlin didn’t want to divide his locker room so he elected to keep his players in the locker room as one unit. Trump made a blanket statement for political reasons which was offensive to those that were not involved. Where was this same condemnation for the entire group of protestors in Charlottesville which included white supremacist wearing shirts and holding signs with the swastica image on them. Instead Trump chose to say there were good people on both sides and not group all the protestors as one as he did with the NFL players. So are the players that have stood at every National Anthem SOB’s or did Trump drag them in by throwing red meat to his base. These are not words of a leader.

70. stellarperformance

you’re so annoying. I am convinced you have atleast 3 accounts on here to purposely troll everybody because your posts are so similar to other accounts. I’ll admit, you do a good job.

71. Tomlin is too low IQ to realize that kneeling during Anthem is dividing us? Also raising the fist is very racist and divisive. Get a clue brotha. Moron.

72. So the player’s have free speech to kneel like sissies, yet Trump can’t call them out on it? Aren’t they both free speech. As usual the libtard viewpoint is goofy. Keep it up Trump. Proud of you Prez!!! Sissy players need to grow up.

73. Because it’s not what Kaepernick, Michael Bennett, et al are doing thats the problem.

It’s everyone’s REACTION to what they’re doing that’s the problem.

So goes the liberal narrative. “We can do whatever we want, but if you dare speak against it, YOU are the problem.”

74. John Fox still owns Mike Tomlin. John Fox was the coach in Denver when they beat the Steelers in the playoffs with Tebow.

75. It’s really sad that the people that pay the ultimate sacrifice for what out country is supposed to stand for are the ones being disrespected here. Change is certainly needed, I don’t disagree with that one bit. That being said the people that represent the flag and the anthem more than any of are out military. The people who fight to protect all races, religions, as well as our freedoms. Those men and women are of all races and religions. Regardless as to what protesters or non protesters say not standing and honoring the flag and anthem is a disrespect to them. You can’t just say I choose not to stand bit it’s not a disrespect to them. Just ask Villaneuva how the men and women who fight with their lives to protect us feel about. There are other ways to protest and make things better, to help unite our country.

76. The NFL should hire a new designer to incorporate the NFL and Black Lives matter logo together, while the NFL explain to Americans why a police officer was not allowed to be honored by the Cowboys…

77. His intentions were good, but I don’t think his method worked. I respect Tomlin for trying to not have his team be a distraction from the game, but staying in the locker room makes it look he picked a side, not the other way around.

78. Anyone that doesn’t think the National Anthem is not about the people that sacrificed their lives or their bodies for our great country- please recite the anthem at some point today and think about it. It’s much more than the NFL or Hollywood. Please don’t disrespect it. Find another way to fight your battle.

79. An NFL game is not a wreath laying ceremony. Nor is it a fallen soldier’s funeral. A divided nation isn’t going to be brought together by being shamed into submitting to a ritual which the Divider in Chief suddenly wants to make a mandatory prerequisite to enjoying a sporting event for God knows what reason. Though Tomlin’s reasoning seems misplaced, I applaud the team’s decision to detach from the nonsense.