Rex Ryan and all of ESPN’s NFL analysts blast Trump

Getty Images

Two weeks ago, ESPN admonished SportsCenter anchor Jemele Hill for criticizing President Trump. Today, ESPN turned its NFL pregame show into a Trump-bashing session, with a former supporter of Trump leading the way.

Former Bills coach Rex Ryan, who campaigned for Trump last year, led the way on ESPN’s Sunday NFL Countdown. Ryan said he thought Trump’s criticism of the NFL and of players kneeling during the national anthem was way off-base.

“I’m pissed off,” Ryan said. “I supported Donald Trump. When he asked me to introduce him in a rally in Buffalo, I did that. But I’m reading his comments, and it’s appalling to me, and I’m sure it’s appalling to almost any citizen in our country. It should be. Calling our players SOBs and that stuff? That’s not the men I know. The men I know, I’m proud of. I’m proud to be associated with those people.”

“I never signed up for that. I never wanted that. That doesn’t mean I support everything he says,” Ryan said.

Ryan was joined on the ESPN set by Anquan Boldin, Samantha Ponder, Randy Moss, Matt Hasselbeck and Charles Woodson. All of them criticized Trump’s comments as well. For ESPN, whose president just instructed all his employees in a memo that “ESPN is not a political organization,” it was a strong statement against the president.

121 responses to “Rex Ryan and all of ESPN’s NFL analysts blast Trump

1. 13% of the population commit more than half of the violent crime in our country, but we’re supposed to ignore the national anthem to bring attention to the few the police shoot. Maybe if they didn’t have so many interactions with law enforcement, they wouldn’t be shot as much.

2. WHY IS SEATTLE PLAYING AT THEIR NORMAL 3PM CENTRAL TIME 1PM PACIFIC IN A ROAD GAME AT NASHVILLE? NOT RIGHT @NFL

3. ESPN? Really? LOL. Trump speaks for the silent majority you have ignored for decades, and that’s all that matters.

4. Funny thought.

Charlottesville was all about free speech … for armed white nationalists.

Colin Kaepernick is all about anti-Americanism … for speaking freely about BLM.

Football teams need unity.

According to the president of the United States, the country need division.

Donald Trump is a cancer in the lockerroom.

5. Absolutely their right to have an opinion based on their beliefs. I also have opinions based on my beliefs.
    I happen to be one of the 50% of the country that has a problem with protesting during the National anthem. Some things are sacred to me, I would not disrespect someone’s, Religion, Family, or strong held beliefs. By using the Flag/ National Anthem for demonstrations, you are in fact disrespecting the strong held beliefs of many. Find another venue to protest your perceived social injustice or else live with the consequences of biting the hand that feeds you.
    NFL fan that now is officially fed up! Time for the fans to take a stand!
    1. I will not go to a NFL game or buy tickets.
    2. I will only watch my teams game and will not watch any other games.
    3. I will not buy any products from companies that have commercials during my teams game.
    4. I will no longer buy NFL products.
    If protests continue I will completely stop watching all NFL games.

6. It is absolutely despicable that people defend criminals, rather than our own hard working law enforcement. These bad cops are the EXCEPTION, not the RULE!!! You are deluded if you think otherwise. If cops were so bad like these pretenders say, you would have to fear for your life AND your childrens life.

Example; The National Socialist Workers Party for Germany(formal name for the Nazi Party). There’s an example of BAD law enforcement. NOT the USA. That’s WHY we have gun rights and cops have guns, to protect against government tyranny.

7. is this a surprise ? An ultra Liberal website, reporting positively about an almost as Liberal “sports” tv station ? Doesn’t matter, ESPN’s ratings will continue to tank, as well as the NFL’s. That’s what you get for pandering.

8. What these privileged athletes fail to comphrehend is Trump is RIGHT!!!
    If you dont wanna honor our flag go get a real job…I dont have to stand for national anthem when I get to work but Im not making millions of dollars..
    If we stop coming this sport we love is going to fail…advertisers are already seeing a decline in viewership…

Get this straight…we are NOT tuning in to honor thieves that were told to stop and put their hands up but instead run and die…keep that in the 6 oclock news…we are here to WATCH FOOTBALL!!!!

Keep underestimating the fans passion for honoring our flag and all of you will be getting a real job soon.

How long are advertisers going to televise games with thousands of empty seats?????

9. Buyer’s remorse Rex?

When Trump said he liked those that “didn’t get caught”, talking about American POW’s, he totally lost me! Wheres’ the OUTRAGE? Our POW’s and MIA are NEVER to be disrespected.

4 deferments shows us all we need to know about Trump’s patriotism.

10. mainezoso1 says:
    September 24, 2017 at 11:15 am
    NFL fan that now is officially fed up! Time for the fans to take a stand!
    1. I will not go to a NFL game or buy tickets.
    2. I will only watch my teams game and will not watch any other games.
    4. I will no longer buy NFL products.
    If protests continue I will completely stop watching all NFL games.
    ——————————
    I’ll call your bluff.

11. Rex Ryan’s comments come from a lousy, loud, self promoting wind bag that has ridden his daddy’s reputation. Controversy sells but look at results. Can’t coach so gotta keep himself relevant, Just like his employer whose ratings are in a sad decline so how do they remain relevent? Create or invent controversy, Come on MAN stick to sports and not the sideshow.

12. pittsburgh84 says:
    September 24, 2017 at 11:14 am

You sound exactly like on of those words are violence, unique snowflake types. Get over yourself.

13. Sad to see all the white hate and white guilt. Truth is these black players are protesting whiteness nothing more. Bunch of racist.

14. Our “President” needs to stop disrespecting our citizens and show some support for our country. Nothing he has done in his usual blowhard manner would suggest that he’s patriotic. (Look at the “healthcare” proposal, and his stance on brown skinned people, and disregard for women’s rights to make their own decisions for example)
    I think every player on every team should kneel and show 45 that this is a free country. We are all free to express our beliefs, and speak out against the injustice that we see everyday. If he’s spouting off (again) how we should just blindly follow this ignorant clown (himself), then he’s being very un-American. If mandatory flag appreciation is your bag, maybe you should check out some real estate in North Korea.
    I’m shocked at how many of you still support this petulant child. He needs to grow up.

15. Some players are upset some black people have been shot by the police who ought not to have been shot. That’s reasonable as long as they’re equally upset when members of other ethnic groups are shot by police when they shouldn’t be, when the police are shot and when people are shot by criminals. The latter category should be of most pressing interest to black Americans.

What exactly does kneeling represent? You’re against people being murdered? You’re against the police? Some police? Against America? Since the real problem is violence in poor communities and it’s not going away soon do the players intend to kneel for the rest of their careers?

This entire business has now taken on the “Look at me! Don’t forget about me!” quality of much of celebrity life. It should stop. If the players are really concerned about black lives they should go to the inner cities and protest drugs and gangs.

16. You would think that a so-called “president” would have bigger things to worry about than pro sports leagues and teams. Our country is divided.largely because of him. We have massive hurricane damage,a health care crisis,racial divide,an impending war with North Korea,and many other much more important issues that need to be addressed.Trump should be worrying about those things,and not athletes kneeling for the anthem or rejecting an invitation to the WH. Come on,Trump…DO YOUR JOB!

17. Trump is the most disliked and unpopular president ever. He destroyed his own football league through greed and incompetence and niw he is trying to divide and destroy the nfl, like he did the boy scouts.

His views are not the majority views, as much as you might like to pretend. Some people want to label this a flag protest, but that is a willingness to close your ears to the true meaning.

I can’t wait to see how he ruins christmas for all of america.

18. mainezoso1 says:
    September 24, 2017 at 11:15 am
    NFL fan that now is officially fed up! Time for the fans to take a stand!
    1. I will not go to a NFL game or buy tickets.
    2. I will only watch my teams game and will not watch any other games.
    4. I will no longer buy NFL products.
    If protests continue I will completely stop watching all NFL games
    __________________
    Hmmmm… Sounds like you are utilizing your American rights to freedom to protest something you’re against. So, it’s ok for you, but not anyone else? Wake up. Not everyone agrees with you. That’s what makes this country ALREADY GREAT: OUR FREEDOM.

19. setrg says:
    September 24, 2017 at 11:28 am

_______________________________________________

If you don’t know what it’s about (and I admit I don’t really understand either) then why do you care?

20. So let me get this straight: players kneel, sit, and give the Black Power salute during the anthem and during games, depict police officers as pigs, call police officers slave catchers, depict a police officer with his throat being slit, praise an oppressive Communist dictator, and they are not being divisive, but the President calls out their behavior and he is being divisive. The liberal mind never ceases to amaze.

21. BOYCOTT!

See how you do without fans, you overpaid bums! Update your resumes and hope you’re qualified for ditch digging because throwing and catching a football doesn’t get you far in life without fans!

22. This all started with the “hands up don’t shoot” lie. Why didn’t these players and coaches identify and protest against the lie? Instead the embraced the lie to further the idea all cops are racist. The add the Bennet lie. Whites aren’t your problem, the NFL players and coaches lacking integrity is the problem.

23. New England>Your Team says:
    September 24, 2017 at 11:17 am

___________________________________________________________

Anyone who thinks Trump chose this fight because he stands for law enforcement is delusional. He sees this as winning politics nothing more. Trump is a draft dodger.

24. nhpats says:
    September 24, 2017 at 11:17 am
    When Rex Ryan is on your side you should re-think your viewpoint
    ————————————————————————-
    My God I actually agree with you about something…

25. dannyabramowitz says:
    September 24, 2017 at 11:39 am
    ======
    ALL of the protesting players are doing all of these things? I must have missed something.

26. I can’t wait for the NFL salary cap to start falling.

The NFL has chosen a path that ignores their FANS.

This is their biggest mistake ever.

The NFL the players association and the players are too blind to see what’s coming.

I can’t wait to boycott the advertisers, etc, etc, etc.

Squeeze the NFL as hard as you can, don’t let them up for air…

27. Guess ol’ Rex knows which way the ESPN wind blows. They are absolutely a political organization, just like PFT. Notice how all the “writers” have the same take here? And the media isn’t controlled by liberals…. right.

28. Ryan said it upsets him that his support of Trump during the campaign now has people lumping him in with Trump.

==================

Yes you did. Everyone who supported Trump knew they were supporting a loud mouthed bigot with absoulely no idea how to or any desire to learn how to run a country. It was all about ego which is something Rex understands and why he supported him.

To act shocked that Trump did what Trump always does, start a new scandal to distract from his last scandal while self promoting is just freaking hilarious.

29. Trump is minding his business, he is after all the CinC of the armed forces who are being dissed by millionaire players and now billionaire owners. He’s just using his right to voice his opinion like everyone else involved.

30. More reasons to not watch ESPN. I’m sick of this overt racist action by black players. This kneeling thing is a dog whistle to blacks to join the raping of our institutions all over contrived and false premises advanced by the George Soros/Democrat party to divide America.

As someone who seriously lived a life to make sure I was color blind, I am insulted and offended by what is happening against white people by the black community.

I can only surmise that I need not give a darn about your plight and will not help you in any way to overcome your lack of reality-based actions. Until you face your own part of your plight, I won’t spend any energy helping you.

Consider me now someone who does see things in a racial divide – and you can thank yourselves for pushing me to protect my heritage rather than to care about your insults toward my skin. You are stereotyping the white community all while you demand we not stereotype yours.

Enough is enough.

You wet the bed, sweeties.

31. A bunch of coward sissy yes men caving into the liberal agenda of ESPN. ESPN only lays off white employees so they have to suck up the best they can. Gutless cowards

32. seahawkboymike says:
    September 24, 2017 at 11:45 am
    nhpats says:
    September 24, 2017 at 11:17 am
    When Rex Ryan is on your side you should re-think your viewpoint
    ————————————————————————-
    My God I actually agree with you about something…

—————-

Double edged sword there. That means everyone who voted for and promoted trump, such as Rex, needs to rethink their viewpoint.

33. ESPN and it commentators are non issue. The issue is the NFL wants to promote they care for first responders and military and then actions contradict this stand. Injustice yet we have families that have been torn apart by two hurricanes, torn apart returning from a war no one keeps up with, turn apart by children with diseases that can’t be cured, these players should respect the symbol for all citizens in this country that are feeling injustice instead of their own selfish agenda. Easy on National TV to show your stuff yet go out in the world and give up your entertainment job and do something is a non thought by these players. An NFL player quits and served this country and lost his life, as players kneel on our anthem and stand for a foreign country anthem, cowards.

34. I just want to point out that if Trump Fans don’t want to go to games anymore that is more than fine with me. If you don’t want to show up to work either, that would be super as well

35. if one of the blowtards at ESPN said something in support of Trump, I’d reckon they’d be fired. How hypocritical is that?

Curt Schilling and Linda Cohn agree…But Jamelle is still employed. Speaks volumes

36. fearsome4 says:

September 24, 2017 at 11:24 am

If you’re upset with players taking a knee during the national anthem, maybe it’s time for you to get the hell out of our great country!
    —————————————————————————————————–

Trump didn’t bring politics to football …. guys like Colin Kaepernick, who wears “pig socks” and “Castro” T shirts, and all these taking-a-knee players DID.

37. All you ultra conservative tea partiers are on the wrong side of history. Trump is not the road towards impeachment and has disgraced the office of the President of the United States of America all in less than a year. You can’t possibly sit there and say wth a straight face that trump has an ounce of dignity. Through all the nasty insults Obama withstood, he never responded on such a childish manner that trump has done over the decades and especially in office.

38. Does Rex, or any of these other ESPN talking heads, really have any other choice? If they were to come out in support of the flag and Trump’s comments, they’d be branded a racist and thrown off the air.

39. All you racist fans, take all your gear and burn it, take your tickets and rip ’em up, turn off the TV and go get sone exercise (for a change). It’s time for you to stop running your bigoted mouths about it and do it. LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT, RIGHT!?!?

40. Black on Black crime don’t take a knee
    Blacks stealing from Blacks don’t take a knee
    Blacks selling drugs to Blacks don’t take a knee
    Blacks teaching Blacks to hate Whites don’t take a knee
    Blacks burning down Black neighborhoods don’t take a knee
    Blacks killing Blacksdon’t don’t take a knee

41. What’s with all the Rex Ryan bashing from the internet tough guys? He’s Donald Trump in the shape of a football coach! They’re both loud, obnoxious bozo’s who owe their careers to everything daddy gave them, and neither can pass anything.

To be fair, when Rex got elected coach, he went to a couple of AFC title games, while Trump is still wandering around the boiler room trying to find his way on to the field.

42. Look – I don’t care whether some players protest during the anthem. Why?

Because as one veteran told me years ago – “I did it for the U.S. I did it SO they have the right to think whatever they want.” Peaceful protest (no matter what OF) is baked into the US Constitution.

Besides – as far as I am concerned – it has always been “Please stand to honor…” not “You *must* stand to honor. It is a request – therefore one has the option to refuse the request. And as protests go, it’s short and not terribly intrusive. They make their opinion known, and I can choose to ignore their opinion if i want…

The Problem with President Trump chiming in is that he – like it or not – speaks with the voice of the government. So when he – in his role as President – chimes in attempting to suppress the free speech of citizens? Nope. I don’t like THAT at all.

So I am going to support the kneelers this week, while holding MIA Vet flag. Because I’m not disrespecting those who served – I’m disrespecting the notional head of our government who is disrespecting the first amendment.

43. bigswifty74 says:
    September 24, 2017 at 11:34 am
    mainezoso1 says:
    September 24, 2017 at 11:15 am
    NFL fan that now is officially fed up! Time for the fans to take a stand!
    1. I will not go to a NFL game or buy tickets.
    2. I will only watch my teams game and will not watch any other games.
    4. I will no longer buy NFL products.
    If protests continue I will completely stop watching all NFL games
    __________________

———-
    everyone has a right to express their viewpoint….on their own time. I believe these entitles athletes are on the job…. big difference.

44. Larryodavid wrote:

I care because I’d rather have football without the divisive politics. The faux patriotism the NFL is paid to do is bad enough without competition from narcissists who can’t explain how their actions are in any way linked to solving whatever problem it is they’re concerned about.

45. The players don’t have the right to protest while their at work. Lets get that point straight. If the owners of the teams allow them to protest while in uniform that is their choice as an employer. I do not respect anyone who protests the anthem or flag, that is my choice. If a team owner bans protesting while in uniform than the employees (players) would have to make a choice, protest and be punished or do it on your own time. I’m a republican, voted for the president, and still support him politically, however I don’t see the reason or need for him to wade into this firestorm. For the record I support the message the players are representing by protesting. There is still much work to do to create racial equality in the country. I just do not support the manner of the protest. In any event I hope football can be an escape of the news and politics for a few hours.

46. If the beautiful weather wasn’t reason enough not to waste the day inside, these bozos sealed the deal. No NFL programming will be on today.

—–

Assuming your a PITT fan. Are you going to stop watching your team all together after today? After they stay in the locker room during the anthem? Something tells me you’ll do some mental gymnastics to disparage the black members of your team, support the white ones that protest, love Donald trump and watch Steelers game without a hint of irony all at the same time.

47. Internet comment sections are the new safe haven for disgusting racists who finally find others with like minds….because you know….you would never see this side of them in public.

Cowards…

48. ESPN should really start to take a look at their ratings and then reevaluate their on air attitude or not and continue down the road to oblivion.

49. I wish people would actually read our constitution and understand what our rights are before they spout off. Our rights are protected against government intrusion or coercion. Colin Kaepernick has a right to kneel during the national anthem and disrespect our country and flag. President Trump has the right to say that he should be fired for doing so. Owners have the right not to sign him or sign him, whatever they desire. You have the right to agree or disagree with Kaepernick, Trump or the owners. No one has ever suggested congress passing laws forcing people to stand or not to stand. Personally, I love America. I believe it’s the greatest country on the planet. If I didn’t, I would try to move to the country I thought was better. If people hate Anerica, they should leave and try living somewhere else. America is not perfect but I take exception to the way it’s disrespected all the time.

50. Trump likes soldiers who “didn’t get caught” and he certainly couldn’t get caught because he DODGED THE DRAFT THREE TIMES. C’mon, lemme see those down-votes from the Trumpaholics who know these are the facts, but they just don’t care about things like, y’know, truth, justice, equality, free speech, the things that make America great. The things that Trump is taking away as fast as he can.

51. bradygirl12 says:

September 24, 2017 at 11:33 am

————————————————————————————————————-

Wrong you douche !! The POS that just left the WH is the cause for all the divide today !!! trump isnt the one that sold NK nukes either, that was the Rapist Clinton……Trump IS worrying about this great country and trying his best to clean up all the messes that were left before him, sorry if that doesn’t set well with your hate spewing, but do a little research before opening that hole in the middle of your face for something other that swallowing that liberal load you seem to suck right down !!!

52. Most vets support #takeaknee and say “it’s why I serverd, so that we have those freedoms” even if they do not agree. Trump has been proven to have lied many times about donations to vets causes, he called McCain (a decorated war HERO who was tortured and served honorably) names and made fun of him many times, Trump dodged the draft with lies THREE TIMES. It’s pretty easy to see why those calling other snowflakes and catcalling from the sidelines like him–because, like him, they were raised by sh**ty people who taught them this is how to behave. I am sick of it, really. None of live in DC, or understand the inner workings of all of this silliness. Youre idiots who inform yourselves poorly and lack understanding. Have your draft dodging, name calling, ever whining coward. You love him because HE IS JUST LIKE YOU. Except wealthy, most of you resent your life due to your own failures.

53. As far as boycotting the NFL, I hope you ALL do, all of you who love Trump and think this is about disrespecting soldiers. I know you wont, none of you have that kind of conviction or resolve, but I really wish you would. You all are the same deplorable nitwits who constantly shout ignorant and stupid things at bars and games, showing the whole world what a 40 something juvenile looks like who has zero knowledge about the game. Stay home, stay away. NASCAR has a place for you among your own kind.

54. This went from a silent protest by a few players to an issue that has exploded across the league and the nation. All because Trump chose to call a black player a son of a bitch in front of his white fans in Alabama.

Trump has to be the most divisive and irresponsible president ever. He will divide the country even more and kill a lot of innocent kids in the process when he goes to war because he got insulted after hurling his insults first.

55. riverhorsey says:
    September 24, 2017 at 1:39 pm

_______________
    Thank you for sharing your delusion and fantasizing facts that you can then act outraged about.

p.s. — Obama won the Peace Prize and then bombed 8 country as President. Stop being a dube and shill.

56. tim8450 says:
    September 24, 2017 at 11:11 am
    At this point, it’s not about politics, it’s about being a lousy person.

—————————————-

Absolutely this. Anyone that cannot see this has their blinders on.

57. mudachains says:
    September 24, 2017 at 11:10 am

Oh course they do. They are all fat bank account cats none of which have served their country or sacrificed anything.
    ————————————————————————————————————
    You’ve described Donald Trump – a man who loves America so much that he got 5 deferments to avoid serving in our military for a bone spur excuse so lame he was unable to remember which foot it was in.

58. riverhorsey says:
    September 24, 2017 at 1:39 pm

**************************************************************
    He called a player or any person who does not want to stand for the national anthem a son of a bitch. Stop twisting the facts around.

59. And no one is surprised. ESPN is the leftist sport network. They are the sports news.version of CNN. They probably threatened Ryan with termination if he didnt read a prepared statement. That is how things work in leftist countries. Toe the line or else.

60. Oh, Rex Ryan is “pissed off” and doesn’t like the SOB comment? If he received a nickel every time an NFL fan called him a stupid SOB he would have made more money than what he was paid to impersonate an NFL head coach.

61. nhpats says:
    September 24, 2017 at 12:59 pm
    bigswifty74 says:
    September 24, 2017 at 11:34 am
    mainezoso1 says:
    September 24, 2017 at 11:15 am
    NFL fan that now is officially fed up! Time for the fans to take a stand!
    1. I will not go to a NFL game or buy tickets.
    2. I will only watch my teams game and will not watch any other games.
    4. I will no longer buy NFL products.
    If protests continue I will completely stop watching all NFL games
    __________________

———-

________________

So, our freedoms require the proper venue? I think not. If I’m at work and my employees tell me I need to stand for something with many obvious flaws, I find a new job. That’s not the issue here. These athletes have a huge stage, not just the comments section of some website. It’s their platform to reach A LOT of people. Don’t like it? No problem. Don’t watch it. Don’t buy a ticket or a jersey. Our jobs as Americans is to keep this country American. That means accepting others who may not agree with you. Again, WAKE UP.

62. ESPN Liberal and racist. It’s time for a few firings there.It isn’t worth watching anymore
    because it’s become so political. I thought it was a sports station.

63. Tyranny, aka unreasonable/arbitrary use of power, is when a president tells a private company to fire their employees.

>>> When Trump respects this country, then I will listen. He dodged the draft, disrespected a GOLD STAR family, as well as a POW because he got caught. He says and does everything for political gain only. ( And still tweets like a 12 year old.)