NFL confirms DirecTV is offering refunds for Sunday Ticket

Getty Images

The details remain incomplete and the procedure unspecified, but it appears that DirecTV is indeed making refunds available to customers who wish to rescind their NFL Sunday Ticket subscription due to the anthem controversy.

NFL spokesman Joe Lockhart told reporters during a Friday media briefing that DirecTV is offering a refund, but Lockhart said he doesn’t know how it’s being handled.

The Wall Street Journal previously explained (under a somewhat misleading headline) that customer-service representatives were sending mixed signals about the issue, an apparent example of the time-honored game of call-center roulette. Apparently, DirecTV has developed a more consistent and predictable approach — or at least an approach as consistent and predictable as the process of getting money back from a major corporation ever can be.

Remember, this is a company that has paid out multiple class-action antitrust settlements in multiple sports arising from a failure to allow customers to purchase, for example, only those games involving certain teams or only games played on certain dates. It’s a for-profit enterprise committed to generating as much profit as possible; the notion that cash would be coughed up for anyone who claims they are offended by the anthem protests seems odd, especially since the anthem issue existed before the 2017 regular season began.

49 responses to “NFL confirms DirecTV is offering refunds for Sunday Ticket

1. Refunding money only applies to Direct TV Customers. If you don’t qualify for DirectTV and signed up for Sunday Ticket as a solo product, you won’t get a refund. I tried multiple times this week.

2. I have both NFL Sunday Ticket and NFL Game Pass. I have been thinking about asking for the NFL Sunday Ticket refund and just watching the 30 minute Condensed Games on NFL Game Pass that become available around 7:30pm EST on Sunday. That way I don’t have to listen to any pre-game, post game, National Anthem discussions and can just tune in and focus on the thing we all love the X’s and O’s of football.

3. I would have to say that whether it’s Game Pass or the Ticket, if people are refused a refund it’s likely they lost these folks and there money for many years to come. Luckily I cancelled before the season started when the anti-american protests picked up where it left off. Then there’s Ford and Nike….oh dear.

4. The same guys who told African Americans they were being too sensitive about Confederate statues now need a refund because they were offended by a person kneeling before a football game? Really?

5. I saw DirectTV’s statement on the national news earlier this week. You have to tell their cusomer service its because you are offended at the protests. Thats the only condition under which they will waive their normal policy of no refunds.

6. Goodbye to all of you who got your refund! You won’t be missed at all. Your Sunday just got a lot less entertaining and no one else is affected in any way, shape or form

7. I’ve got Sunday Ticket to be able to watch NE games. Better believe it will be cancelled if not all of them are standing on Sunday. Just sayin’.

8. DirecTV has by far the best customer service, not to mention the best most creative commercials. If only they had internet … it’s just easier to go with one of the behemoth’s like Comcast or Verizon because they offer both.

9. Kaepernick will go down in history as one of the biggest reasons the most popular sport in this country is going down the tubes. Let that sink in for a moment.

10. I have to say I am amazed Direct TV is doing this. They don’t have to. They are giving up profits. I wonder if this is a publicity ploy and if they are not expecting a lot of turn over. I would love it if they published the numbers, but I’m sure they won’t. Regardless, the product the NFL is providing seems to be losing it’s luster.

11. schmitty2 says:
    September 29, 2017 at 3:00 pm

______________________________

Kaepernick is not the reason.

12. medialovesthecowboys says:
    September 29, 2017 at 3:00 pm

———————-
    Since they arent watching football hanging on these sites becomes their best way to fill the time. So them being here actually makes it more believable.

13. I just saw a piece on the news, viewership is plummeting and fast.

The NFL is in trouble, make no mistake about it.

14. I negotiated the price of ST down to $0, with a $20 discount off my bill every month for the next year. If I cancelled now, would I owe them money?

15. The NHL can’t get here fast enough. Fortunately, I can buy the NHL package without having to have DirecTV, cable or any other overpriced provider. The picture quality on my Apple TV is much better than it ever was on DirecTV also.

16. comatrip1 says:
    Kaepernick was made a martyr by these racists who say men can’t exercise their Constitutionally protected right to free speech.

I see you’re one of those who likes to publicize the fact that you slept your way through junior high and high school.
    For the millionth time, no one has Constitutionally-protected free speech on their employer’s time, or anywhere else in the private sector.
    The First Amendment guarantees that with certain exceptions, the GOVERNMENT cannot sanction you for your speech. PERIOD! Nowhere else are you free from the consequences of your actions.
    The real problem in this country is that far too many people lack a basic education. They don’t know simple but important facts, and are unable to think for themselves or see the bigger picture. They merely regurgitate slogans they believe support their position.

17. medialovesthecowboys says:
    September 29, 2017 at 3:00 pm
    I find it astounding at the number of people who say they won’t (or don’t) watch anymore but spend hours on end on a football blogging site. You’ll understand if we don’t believe you.\—————————————-
    So True

18. medialovesthecowboys says:
    September 29, 2017 at 3:00 pm
    —————————————–

I second this. It is quite funny. Oh I’m not watching no more, but i want to hear the results. #TruePatriots

19. Goodbye to all of you who got your refund! You won’t be missed at all. Your Sunday just got a lot less entertaining and no one else is affected in any way, shape or form

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No one is affected? Man, you’re a brilliant one.

Uh, how about the players? Lost revenue directly affects the players you knucklehead. They get a slice of the revenue pie and if it’s a slice from a smaller pie simple math will tell you they will be making less money. These dummies are engaging in a silly game of cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Being someone who opposes this form of protest it always makes me chuckle a bit when protest supporters say “good riddance” because they truly have no clue….

20. the notion that cash would be coughed up for anyone who claims they are offended by the anthem protests seems odd, especially since the anthem issue existed before the 2017 regular season began.

——————————————————————–

not odd at all, the majority of the media being caught with their collective pants down yet again still doesn’t understand the ramifications of this like the business owners due. Give them some of their money back now or lose them forever.

21. Since there are only 2 or 3 really good games per week, I’d try and get a refund as well.

They need to implement a policy that if a team sucks for 5-10 years, the team gets sold to an owner that that actually wants to win.

Maybe term limits on head coaches as well.

22. Let’s All Take A Knee, F Trump!!! says:
    “..I just want all you clowns to cancel.They will have no choice but to lower the price of the sunday ticket, for penny pinchers like me!!!…”

Amen to that, in fact I hope they boycott the whole world.
    Can you imagine heading out and only running into people who are actually capable of critical thinking? Nirvana.

23. How to fix this…
    Have a new kind of pregame protest about something the left loves deeply like abortion. When asked by media why said player did the action tell them that he is protesting the slaughter of a million babies a year. That will be the last time the liberal media shows a protest on their broadcast.

24. I call BS on this… all I see is everyone writing they are cancelling, I see thousands of comments on Facebook saying the same, I see people burning jerseys and yet the Stadiums are full and yet you are here to still making comments. I do not agree with the Kneelers myself but they have that right and you have your right to protest as well. I guess this point has all passed over you, but go ahead and spite your face. I don’t care for Chik-fi-la politics, but the the Chicken Sandwich is delicious! So, I hope I’m wrong and now I have less lines to get my Beer and more elbow room in my seats. Maybe my DirectTV feeds to my ROKU won’t have as many hiccups from a less crowded feed as well. Adios Former Fans (not).

25. so let me get this straight;

DirectTV are offering refunds to viewers who completely misinterpret the Constitution in their blind jingoistic zeal, forcing the rest of us who have read a little further than ‘We, The People’ to have to support their de facto racism?

then why don’t i get a refund from DirectTV every time they broadcast this orange hair-hatted buckra larva i wouldn’t elect to Oval Office in this life nor the next three lifetimes?

somebody should sue DirectTV to stop their fostering this madness;

26. just gotta love these closet bigots who think the Constitution only protects one’s free speech from some autonomous entity called the ‘Government’;

the Government is clearly defined as of the people, by the people and for the people, which means that no one can deny or abridge the free speech of another so long as it does not directly bring it incite harm to another;

shooting schoolchildren or a kid beating you down after you accosted him for no reason or a panicked unarmed person in the back for fleeing your deadly weapon or running over and killing a mother in a peaceful protest are Not free speech;

kneeling before an anthem that espouses slavery and was written by a serial rapist slaveholder most certainly is free speech;

even the billionaire NFL owners know that;

shame on you, DirectTV;

27. All this because certain people hate that others want equal rights and treatment. Pitiful yet demonstrative of that certain group of people’s true colors despite their “I’m not a ____” claims before they became emboldened with Trump in office.

28. All this because certain people hate that others want equal rights and treatment. Pitiful yet demonstrative of that certain group of people’s true colors despite their “I’m not a ____” claims before they became emboldened with Trump in office…