Josh Norman pledges $100,000 to Puerto Rico

Getty Images

NFL players are continuing to step up in the face of natural disasters.

Washington cornerback Josh Norman announced on Twitter today that he is donating $100,000 to aid the relief efforts in Puerto Rico, which has been ravaged by Hurricane Maria. Norman laid out his plans to donate and his thought process in a series of tweets.

“I am sending $100,000 as a start to help you guys out because you all are citizens of the U.S. Just like us. I would encourage the people who can because you have the means to do so. Come forth it’s always a blessing to be a blessing to someone else in need. It’s truly sad what’s going on over in PR. So sad that the President of the United States decided to go golfing in lieu of doing his job aiding people who need the most,” Norman wrote, in tweets that we’ve edited for clarity.

Scores of NFL players made significant donations to cleanup efforts in Houston after Hurricane Harvey and in Florida after Hurricane Irma. Now Norman is getting the ball rolling on the latest effort by NFL players to make a difference.

51 responses to “Josh Norman pledges $100,000 to Puerto Rico

1. Good for Josh Norman!

Unfortunately, the death toll will rise dramatically. The hills, and south side of the island have not been accessible. Roads, bridges washed out. Why no Apache helicopters for Puerto Rico doing search and rescue missions, 11 days in?

It’s a black eye, first for Bush, and now for Trump.

2. Very well done Mr. Norman. Outstanding! I hope other NFL players follow his lead. I understand many players have probably given to charities involving the Florida and Texas hurricanes. I still hope however that those who have been blessed with abundant resources can help their fellow citizens in Puerto Rico.

3. skawh says:
    September 30, 2017 at 6:56 pm

—————

At a guess, maybe because the Apache isn’t a S&R platform.

4. Bashing Trump? Real original. Apparently golfing instead of handling a natural disaster is only acceptable if your a black president. Where was Obama during the last major storm in Americas own borders? Golfing but he’s black so it was ok. He did at least make sure to release a statement on it….reminding those coming together to help eachother not to deny assistance to somebody because of their race. Real presidential but again he was black so nobody cares

5. Normans salary, without per game roster bonuses is 16.5M. Lets say he gets half of that after taxes and whatever (keeping in mind, the highest tax bracket is only 40%), rounding down, thats 8M.

100,000 is .0125% of 8M. Thats the equivalent of someone who makes 100,000 donating $875.

Dont get me wrong, its a nice gesture, and every amount counts. But for someone who makes not just his NFL salary, but endorsement deals, etc, this is like donating a stick of gum, not something spectacular.

6. Golf?

I didn’t care for 44 but was very careful to make criticisms. I also gave credit when it was earned.

But, golf? Really?

You better, “Check yourself., before…”

Never mind. Let’s just watch the world burn..,

7. Trump’s still trying to come to terms with the fact Puerto Rico is an Island.

In the middle of an ocean. A big ocean.

You can’t just drive trucks there, like Texas or Florida.

He recently learned these things.

8. The handling of this hurricane was by design, and it came from the top down. It’s race politics, and people are dying from it. The death toll, due to the fallout days after hurricane Maria, at last count is well over a hundred.

If I was younger I’d fly down to Puerto Rico to lend a hand. It’s pathetic that an administration allows people to die rather than send the military in right after the hurricane. You’d think that have learned something from Katrina? And yet folks wonder why minorities don’t feel as passionate about the flag, or an anthem, as non minorities. Puerto Rican’s are Amercian’s too!

9. @cboys4life2014 are you talking about Hurricane Sandy? If so, Obama was set to go to Colorado Springs for vacation and canceled that trip in favor of making sure aid happened in a timely manor.

10. Grulks says:

September 30, 2017 at 7:40 pm

______________

Are you donating anything a stick of gum or $5-10 dollars? Because if not then shut the hell up about what somebody else donated.

11. The president was not golfing in lieu of aiding Puerto Rico. That’s just an absolute, willfull, bald faced lie. The government and people of Puerto Rico have praised Trump for his handling of this disaster. Another loser NFL player who just has to inject politics, even when trying to do something good. And “pledging” money is not the same as giving it. Anyone can say they will pledge money. J.J. Watt showed how it’s done.

12. Yeah, blame Trump. That makes sense to liberals. It is easier than taking the time to know what is really going on.

13. sphincterorleaveher says:

September 30, 2017 at 7:47 pm

Trump’s still trying to come to terms with the fact Puerto Rico is an Island.

In the middle of an ocean. A big ocean.

You can’t just drive trucks there, like Texas or Florida.

He recently learned these things.

____________

Yeah because too bad airplanes don’t exist… oh wait nevermind they do

14. red says:
    September 30, 2017 at 7:47 pm
    and Trump is asking himself why the president of Puerto Rico isnt helping out.

4 2 Rate This

______________________________________________________________________________

I genuinely believe you have 4 upvotes from this oddly pro-Trump crowd, because the snark in that statement is being missed altogether

15. sdcharger123 says:
    September 30, 2017 at 7:50 pm

——
    He’s referring to the flood at Baton Rouge. Obama was on vacation. Trump of course went to Baton Rouge and main it a campaign stunt.

Trump said of the flood:

“Tuesday’s too late,” Trump told Fox News this weekend. “Hop into the plane and go down and go to Louisiana and see what’s going on, because it’s a mess.”

Notice now that Trump is President “hopping into a plane and going down” is out of the question. 11 days and counting. That makes Trump a hypocrite?

16. @sdcharger no I’m referring to the “no name storm” in ’16 that flooded Louisiana and was the worst natural disaster since Sandy. Obama recieved his updates on it in between golf games from Martha’s Vineyard and of course was given a pass by the MSM for not bothering to cut his vacation short. Where was Josh Norman’s outrage then? Where was y’alls?

17. Normans salary, without per game roster bonuses is 16.5M. Lets say he gets half of that after taxes and whatever (keeping in mind, the highest tax bracket is only 40%), rounding down, thats 8M.

———————

I’m going to assume that you must have also donated your .0125% already after that fine soliloquy. Right? After all it’s not that much money.

18. Normans salary, without per game roster bonuses is 16.5M. Lets say he gets half of that after taxes and whatever (keeping in mind, the highest tax bracket is only 40%), rounding down, thats 8M.

———————

I’m going to assume that you have also donated your .0125% already after that fine soliloquy. Right? After all it’s not that much money.

19. Trump has spent more on YOUR MONEY on personal travel already than Obama did in 8 years, but that’s ok because he’s white?

He’s NOT a conservative, call him anything, but he’s not that. He’s glad to spend your money, but ya’ll are ok with that?

20. Grulks says:
    September 30, 2017 at 7:40 pm

——————————

100,000 is 1.25% of 8,000,000.

What percentage of your income are you donating?

21. cboys4life2014 says:
    September 30, 2017 at 7:40 pm

Um…during Katrina before he was president, he was in New Orleans helping

22. finnymcphin says:
    September 30, 2017 at 7:35 pm

skawh says:
    September 30, 2017 at 6:56 pm

—————

At a guess, maybe because the Apache isn’t a S&R platform.
    ——-
    An excuse. SAR’s should have, could have, been deployed from a carrier in Virginia right after the hurricane. That island should have been blanketed with them. Reports are that so many elderly reside in the hills and on the west and south side of the island. What are they eating and drinking 11 days after this disaster? So many have died in hospitals having no fuel for their generators. This failure is only beginning to be known. And the president tweets anti PR crap still today…saying they’re lazy. Unreal

23. cboys4life2014 says:
    September 30, 2017 at 8:09 pm

Thank you skawh for at least acknowledging that you knew what I was referring to
    ——
    Thank you cboys4life2014 for acknowledging the acknowledgment! We’re both Cowboy fans, so we have at least 1 thing in common?

24. “Trump has spent more on YOUR MONEY on personal travel already than Obama did in 8 years, but that’s ok because he’s white?”
    ______________________

You could’ve told me Obama spent more in his first 9 months than Bush did in 8 years and I wouldn’t have believed that as it sounds completely irrational. One thing is fact though: Trump will have paid himself less of a salary in 4 years than Obama did in a month

25. “Where was Obama during the last major storm in Americas own borders? Golfing but he’s black so it was ok. He did at least make sure to release a statement on it….reminding those coming together to help eachother not to deny assistance to somebody because of their race. Real presidential but again he was black so nobody cares”

Yes but according to you Trumpies Don was supposed to be a big improvement over Obama. Instead he’s repeatedly humiliated the country, focused solely on stealing every penny of the national wealth for himself and his 1% cronies, and by the way golfed at about 5 times the rate Obama took time off.

Its not even close that Trump is the most corrupt politician in the history of the country, at least the 58 years I’ve been alive.

26. @Meraj Chowdhury was Katrina the last major storm of Obama’s presidency? Practice reading comprehension. I’m well aware he wasn’t president in ’05. The fact you have 4 upvotes with that reply is very telling of you Trump haters

27. skawh says:
    September 30th, 2017 at 8:24 pm

cboys4life2014 says:
    September 30, 2017 at 8:09 pm

——
    ______________________

No problem. If we can agree on that at least I’ll take it.

28. I am farmer most of our work force comes from PR. Lots of guys there I’ve worked with for 15 years or better. I consider many of them almost family if not. A few were able to contact me over the past week to let me know they were ok. But they said their home land was destroyed.

Thank you Mr Norman.

29. “Yes but according to you Trumpies Don was supposed to be a big improvement over Obama.”
    ___________________

Whatever I wanted Ben Carson then Ted Cruz after Carson dropped out. I only support Trump cause I’m a Republican

30. cboys4life2014 says:
    September 30, 2017 at 8:24 pm

______________________

——
    But you’re not counting what the President is making from his hotel in DC, that’s the place to be for Congress and lobbyists…and Mara Lago, and golf courses, and the new tax plan that earns his family well over 6 Billion. You gotta pay attention C’boy fan!

31. cboys4life2014 says:
    September 30, 2017 at 8:31 pm
    ========================================================================================Did you actually read the entire post. @Meraj Chowdhury wrote “before he was president”. Maybe YOUR Obama bias is showing?

32. skawh says:
    September 30, 2017 at 8:24 pm
    We’re both Cowboy fans, so we have at least 1 thing in common?
    ________________________________________________

So you’ve officially bailed on the Seahawks? Is that as of yesterday or today? I know it wasn’t 2 days ago because then were telling us how great J.D. McKissic looked and a few days ago you were still whining about Bevell. In any case congrats on settling on a new team that quickly, even for a bandwagon 12 that was fast.

33. redskinsweb says:
    September 30, 2017 at 9:34 pm
    you cannot engage in rational conversation with leftwingnuts; their ignorance is mind numbing.
    ____________________________________________

34. I think the message Josh Norman is trying to get out is that Puerto Rico really needs our help. Text “MARIA” to 90999 (NFL Network) to donate $10 to American Red Cross Hurricane Relief.

35. commentawaitingdeletion says:
    September 30, 2017 at 9:06 pm

skawh says:
    September 30, 2017 at 8:24 pm
    We’re both Cowboy fans, so we have at least 1 thing in common?
    ________________________________________________

——-
    Not at all bailed. I’ve been a C’boy’s fan since before most here were born…then I moved to the Pac NW. But since you’re so curious I’m for ANY team that beats the Pat’s too!

36. “Particularly when ‘they’ argue with themselves, like cboys and skahw are above. That boy just ain’t right, serious subjects deserve better.”
    ________________________

Whoa throttle back turbo I’m far from a “left wing nut” I’m conservative Republican and proud of it. I was just thankful that at least one person from the left saw my post about Obama golfing during a natural disaster and at least acknowledged what I was talking about instead of doing the typical left wing play dumb and down vote my comment without giving a rebuttal. And as I said as a Republican I will support and defend Trump (within reason) but you can’t tell me Trump was every conservatives first choice to support but when he became the only choice I wasn’t going outside my party especially for Hillary and Bernie

37. Since Trump has to wait for someone in his administration to free up a plane before going to Puerto Rico, he decided to go to NJ to play golf instead. Tuesday will be for 1st day a plane is available.