President insists on players standing for the anthem “tomorrow, and always”

AP

Whether he’s laying the foundation to declare victory or hoping to foment another day of defiance, the President has once again chimed in on the anthem controversy in pro football.

“Very important that NFL players STAND tomorrow, and always, for the playing of our National Anthem,” President Trump tweeted on Saturday. “Respect our Flag and our Country!

The edict comes at a time when more and more teams are announcing plans to stand for the anthem, which will allow the President to proclaim that he personally prompted the NFL to stand down on the issue of standing up. Unless, of course, the latest tweet becomes interpreted as yet another challenge from the Commander-in-Chief, provoking some to kneel or sit during the anthem not simply to draw attention to the social issues that caused the protests in the first place but as a protest of the President himself.

However it plays out, Sunday will be another day during which the anthem will receive more attention than it used to. Eventually, the days of “used to” will return.

100 responses to “President insists on players standing for the anthem “tomorrow, and always”

1. Here’s a deal for the supposed “deal maker” – The players will stand, but the President confesses to assisting the Russian’s in the 2016 campaign – first?

2. Agree or disagree bu trumps comments made the NFL, owners, players and fans show their hands on this anthem issue.

And Tada! A week later the issue is almost dead and the MSM has lost their voice of power for the 10% of players who knelt.

The MSM and LA/NY bubbles don’t speak for most Americans, but they sure like their money. Until it starts to leave.

3. Yeah, I would, see, but I have this bone spur in my heel, so I’ll have to defer. Surely you understand, Mr. President.

4. The edict to stand during the anthem is already in the Game Operations Manual: “players on the field should stand at attention, face the flag. hold helmets in their left hand and refrain from talking.”

Note “should” might not seem as strong as “must” BUT ANY FAILURE TO COMPLY with the manual can be subject to fines, suspensions or lost picks – should Fraudger feel like it.

5. “I cannot stand and sing the anthem. I cannot salute the flag; I know that I am a black man in a white world.” – Jackie Robinson

As true today than it was in 1947

6. Wow, the media has made a mess of this, they can’t kneel anymore because they are going to loose fans, no if they stand Trump will say that he made it happen. No win situation for the NFL

7. The players will be doing so at their own peril. As the ratings crater because of this nonsense and the players insist a major fight on the horizon in the next CBA, they will be dealing with a smaller pool of dollars to split up. The networks certainly will be looking for some relief from the NFL on their next contract since they certainly aren’t grabbing the audience they anticipated. Remember these numbers are down from last year which was down noticeably from the year before. If they are going to be that foolish and disrespect the flag and the people that gave their lives defending it because they are upset at the President (Basing this off of what Rodgers said) then they deserve what they get.

8. Teump won on this one. Either the players continue to kneel and fans will turn on them or they stand and Trump can claim he was reaponsible for making them stand.

The reality is that it would be public backlash from fans rather than Trump, but that won’t stop him from taking credit.

9. The news should have cameras on Trump and find out which game he’s watching (probably Patriots game) and see if he’s actually standing during the anthem or like the millions of people at home who will be sitting during the national anthem.

10. Liberalsruineverything says:
    September 30, 2017 at 9:42 pm

The A kicker in chief. Exactly what he was hired for. Still not tired of winning yet Mr. President!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why am I not surprised that you idolize a “man” known for defaulting on his debts?

11. “Impeach!

On what grounds?”

Treason. He and his campaign staff colluded with the Russians. And the smokescreens like his crying about the NFL protests distract the sheep from that and the massive corruption he’s directly involved in.

12. I liked it better when he was trying to punch his way into war with North Korea and Iran, especially since he has shown himself incapable of even getting diesel fuel and truck drivers to a friendly nearby island.

No wonder he wants us distracted by anthem nonsense.

13. Just fired yet another member from staff, Puerto Rico is under water and he blames themayor of San Juan, STILL can’t replace Obamacare…what should he do? Oh yeah, deflect to ripping the league that wouldn’t let him join and then golf some more instead of doing work.

14. this whole kneeling thing was almost a non story until he opened his mouth. i watch the games with my family and we are a family of very proud veterans and not one of us is outraged about them kneeling. we just want to watch football, if we wanted political bs we’d turn on fox news or cnn. I had to mention both cause i didn’t want to offend anybody

15. skawh says:
    September 30, 2017 at 9:38 pm

As true today than it was in 1947
    ____________________________________________________________________

No it is not. I’m black. I can tell you the US is vastly different than it was in 1947. I was born in the 60’s and can tell you we have come miles. FCOL the eejit that started all of this unrest and police hate was a black President named Barrack Hussein Obama. Something that would have been unthinkable in 1947. FCOL Jackie wasn’t even wanted on his own team. Today, these knuckleheads are revered for playing a game and loved by their fans. They are insane for doing anything that would jeopardize that.

Is everything great. No! Are things markedly better than 1947… you better believe it.

They need to go back to getting attention for something they are great at and paid handsomely for playing sports. They are trying to make a statement, their delivery has not been well received by those of us who fund their profession.

Signed
    America

16. Just act like an adult instead of a teenager and do what you’re supposed to do…like all grown-ups have to do. You dont need the President to instruct you on how to be mature.

17. And yes this is a win win for Trump as I knew it would be… athletes playing in the political arena was always a beatdown in the making. FCOL President Trump already beat the snowflakes once. These guys just can’t take a loss.

18. The players aren’t protesting the flag, but those who are butthurt about it can’t be bothered to learn (or care) what the players are protesting. They’re too busy getting duped by a guy who dodged the draft and insults a real hero because he got captured.

19. Forced patriotism. I’ve never been drafted so all of this is even more meaningless to me. I’ll just be watching football tomorrow not caring about what country I’m in.

20. Aww, did draft dodging super patriot President Trump have a tough day on Twitter after playing golf while American hurricane victims were suffering in Puerto Rico? Must be time to wrap himself in the American flag again. U.S.A, U. S. A.!

21. The leader of the land of the free is against freedom and apparently a lot of other people hate freedom, too. Instead of telling people who believe and respect in freedom to leave the land of the free, why don’t you guys all go live in North Korea, sounds like you’ll be much happier there.

22. sdelmonte says:
    September 30, 2017 at 10:18 pm
    And this will of course fix all the problems in PR. Good job, Donnie.
    _______________________________________

Yeah this is ridiculous, the POTUS should be down there handing out bottled water!

23. Harrisonhits, please explain collusion Trump had with russia? I haven’t seen 1 shred of evidence. Hillary sold 20% of our uranium to Russian for 100 million in donations to the Hillary foundation.

24. This is very scary rhetoric from a person in power. No president should be putting out threats like this. This is the land of the free in case some of you forgot.

25. For a guy who’s “not preoccupied” with the NFL, he sure seems to waste a lot of time talking about it.

I guess it’s easy to find the time in between playing golf and insulting disaster ravaged American citizens in Puerto Rico for needing assistance from their government (yes Donald, you ARE THEIR GOVERNMENT too, America is more than the like minded white people who agree with you and you’re supposed to watch out for their interests too, not just your own)

This guy has had a grudge against the NFL since his USFL venture failed miserably, just like almost everything else he’s ever done. Why do you think he had to go to Russia years ago to borrow money? Because nobody he’d ever done business with before wanted anything to do with him? Because everyone he dealt with before figured out what a debt welshing egotistical scam artist he is.

26. deedub1639 says:
    September 30, 2017 at 10:07 pm

As true today than it was in 1947
    ____________________________________________________________________

Signed
    America
    ——
    Oh look, there goes the 3rd “I’m black” today, but only for this forum to offer a “black” opinion that is not consistent with blacks. The 3rd faux federal agent opining this week too…hmm, there’s a pattern here.

Jackie Robinson’s quote was from his bio released in 1972. Race has not “progressed” in America. Race was simply driven underground after the 70’s, because it was no longer politically correct. Ronald Reagan used his dog whistles during the 80’s. If you were truly black you’d know that. Where’s your proof that race is an issue in America
    today too? – See the zombies that came out of the closet answering the “race” dog whistles of the 2016 campaign…there’s your proof, and progress.

27. It’s funny when Trump supporters call other people “snowflakes”. You do realize that you support a guy who’s so feeble minded that he tries to censor anyone who doesn’t blindly praise him, right? “Praise me or you’re fired! Anyone who criticizes me is lying! Sad!” lol get over yourselves. This is strong leadership to you? The guy is so obviously insecure.

And this whole “fake news” thing is so played out. It’s like petulant children covering their ears and screaming every time someone challenges them on their ignorance. Such a bogus cop out, if you want to decidedly close your mind to every outside perspective that you can’t wrap your little minds around, then just say so and go stick your head in the dirt. Nobody will care. But quit trying to pass off your censorship and ignorance as anything based in reality.

28. Trump lives rent free in liberal’s minds and will for 8 years. All of you will need therapy before his reign is over.

You gotta love it.

29. I’m Canadian and I stand for both the Canadian and US national anthems. Always did, always will. I realize how fortunate we are to have had people lay down their lives for our freedom. A few honest, humbling minutes well spent on respect and appreciation. Go Lions!

30. He is a joke but his zombie followers are just sad. I doubt he really has followers left in the US. Probably all Russian Trolls on here. They hate America almost as much as Chump.

31. clownfoodpoop says:
    September 30, 2017 at 10:31 pm

I liked the mayor standing in front of the pallets of supplies claiming that none had been sent!
    ——-
    she meant undistributed because there are not enough trucks and drivers. Way to mock an ongoing tragedy. what a standup citizen!

32. Here is some wisdom from Sean Doolittle, Washington Nationals pitcher. I think it applies to everyone regardless of what side of this you are on….Its almost a shame that these reasonable words could not come from the elected leadership.

“”I think American democracy is strong enough to have that conversation. I think my patriotism is strong enough to not be offended when somebody takes a knee during the anthem. That’s not something I take personally. It’s something that makes me want to reach out to that person and have a conversation with them and say, ‘Let’s talk about some of these issues. Tell me about certain things that have caused you to take such a stand.'”

33. If this guy was proud of what he’s doing in Washington, he wouldn’t be trying to divert our attention away from it. Trump couldn’t care less about the anthem or the flag. This is all just a big distraction. The guy was a draft dodger, for crying out loud.

34. Trump says he wants to blow up North Korea, but based on his tones and actions and penchant for trying to silence anyone who doesn’t agree with him, it seems more like he’d rather emulate it.

A wannabe autocrat who has openly praised dictators around the world, and you hate mongered race baited close minded ‘Muricans think he works for you? Think he has YOUR best interests in mind? lol alright.

The only way he has your interests in mind is if they happen to be his. And his interests don’t serve anything but his ego and brand. Never has, never will. So if serving to boost his ego makes you feel better about yourself, then knock yourself out. No literally, i mean please knock yourself out.

That’s why his blind followers love him so much, because he validates their ignorance through his attempts to validate his own ignorance. Gives them all a nice warm fuzzy bitterly hateful kind of bliss to revel in with each other by the glow of their tiki torches.

If you stick up for a flag while ignoring your fellow countrymen, then you are not a patriot, you’re a hypocrite. Simple as that.

35. The week before the President offered his thoughts on silent protest there were six players who demonstrated during the anthem. The following week there were hundreds and several athletes in other sports demonstrated during the anthem as well. There is a very real possibility that players from many teams will offer some form of protest before every game this season though it is likely to take place prior to the anthem. The President has done well to galvanize player resolve to bring the inequity issues into our living rooms each and every week. I guess this is what his base wanted.

36. Trump has lost. Rating are up and the people have rejected his divisive hate-filled rhetoric. The polls show that Trump has been roundly rejected and that also show the high disapproval of his actions in Texas, Florida and Puerto Rico, where Trump refuses to help women and minorities get the aid they desperately need. His anthem distraction is failing and I expect impeachment soon.

37. Thank you Mr President for standing up for our flag, our national anthem and your loyalty to our liberty and freedom.

I’ve been an NFL fan for 50 years but because the 32 billionaire owners have allowed the offensive actions of the players to disrupt my enjoyment of their EXTRAORDINARILY profitable enterprise, for the last 13 months, I’m out!

I have slowly over 13 months become more and more pissed off at the owners for not putting and end to this craziness. Politics and football DO NOT mix. I’m out!

38. Ugadogs21 says:
    September 30, 2017 at 10:44 pm

“”I think American democracy is strong enough to have that conversation. I think my patriotism is strong enough to not be offended when somebody takes a knee during the anthem. That’s not something I take personally. It’s something that makes me want to reach out to that person and have a conversation with them and say, ‘Let’s talk about some of these issues. Tell me about certain things that have caused you to take such a stand.’”
    ——-
    Greatest quote ever…it’s akin to MLK’s “I have a dream” speech coming into being. Thanks for sharing that!

39. The flag and the anthem (written by a man who defended both runaway slaves and slaveholders vigorously as an attorney) mean different things to different people. Because different people have decidedly different experiences historically, culturally and currently in America. And in none of those manifestations of their experiences do I feel they disparage veterans like myself. Whether someone stands or sits, uses whatever bathroom they choose, marry whom they choose or likes a statute or not…rents no space in my head. These things are why veterans served, fought and died….
    People focus on trivial things that do not affect their daily life whatsoever and ignore the simple and complex things that do.

40. The Almighty Cabbage says:
    September 30, 2017 at 9:57 pm
    Liberalsruineverything says:
    September 30, 2017 at 9:42 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

——————————————

Why am I not surprised you wouldn’t know a man that employs thousands of people in multiple businesses one might happen to fail.

41. briang123 says:
    September 30, 2017 at 10:49 pm

——————
    Those that think Trump has lost simply dont understand the game. Trump is punking his opponents with these stunts. Since it bugs me to see Trump getting away with stuff so easily I really wish more folks would understand what he is doing and not get sucked in by it.

42. A few of you guys seem anxious to chalk this whole thing up to a victory for Trump. My guess is that you’re just looking for an excuse to watch football this weekend without admitting that your threatened boycott was fake. #fakeboycott

43. Kneel before and stand for the anthem. Don’t buy into this kids “presidential ” immature game. Ask the president as a league to support the movement to eradicate racial inequality. Turn the attention away from the flag.

44. The President played everyone. By speaking up on the issue, and then so many protesting, he forced people to take sides. You were either protester or a counter-protester. His approval ratings went up, he kept his name in the news, and people aren’t talking about the real, more pressing issues in the country.

45. The next thing he’ll be suggesting is a large bronze statue of himself in every stadium in America which we will all be forced to salute, probably with an outstretched hand. What a bozo!

46. charliecharger says:
    October 1, 2017 at 10:21 am

No draft dodger presidents. Now or in the future.
    ———————-

Since we haven’t had a draft since 1973, it won’t be long now.

47. If there was ever an anthem to take a knee to, it would be England’s. England was the most tyrannical nation until the 20th century, and they did not treat indigenous people and people of color very well.

There used to be a saying, “the sun never sets on the British empire” because the Brits conquered anything and everything they could get their hands on. What do yo think they did to the natives and their lands after they conquered it?

I don’t think anybody should be singing “God Save the Queen”.

48. Perhaps this was his plan to finally crush the NFL. Make inflammatory remarks that will unite the players in ongoing actions that piss off the fans. Then, when they leave in hoards, the NFL scrambles to do an about face to no avail. That’s chess vs checkers if I ever saw it

49. Bills had six players kneel. I turned on all 4 of my tv’s for today’s game. Really proud of true Americans to kneel in protest of unjust treatment of U.S. citizens.

50. The problem with being a non-stop blowhard troll is that people just stop listening eventually. Nobody cares what this idiot says anymore.

It’s like those people that show up to every football game and stand outside with “Repent” signs, screaming at people through a bullhorn about how they’re all going to hell. Everyone just tunes them out. That’s our “president”. Everyone is tuning this idiot out. He’s a carnival barker, a con-man, and the village idiot. The GOP jumped the shark when they failed to pass any health care reform and now Trump is just trying to keep his name in the news by saying the dumbest and most offensive things he can think of. He’s the Andrew Dice Clay of politics – you can’t ride the shock value forever. We’re bored now, clown.

51. harrisonhits2 says:
    September 30, 2017 at 10:00 pm
    “Impeach!

On what grounds?”

———————
    What they have been finding from the Russians shows they have been publishing stories both ways to divide Americans. They certainly attacked Hillary. But they also had a hand in portraying Trump as a racist, fascist, etc… (so pay attention, if you are beating that drum you are playing to their music) They also have been publishing articles both ways on the protests and racism in general that are intended to fan the flames and further divide people. They are taking advantage of how people have polarized by feeding the many who cherry pick what they want the truth to be. They count on those people to run with the ball. Its working too, look how much Americans are at war with each other. They know one of our greatest weaknesses is our tendency to think in absolutes and we can be taken advantage of that way. The Russians arent colluding with anyone, they are attacking America.

52. There is a difference between not showing respect and disrespectful. Not showing respect is like not shaking someone’s hand when introduced. Disrespect is spitting on that person. Players are not burning or stepping on the flag they are simply not showing respect for a flag and a song that’s not showing respect to their people. How about people be upset about disrespecting of the constitution and the first amendment. That’s what we fought for not the symbols and songs.
    As leader of the free world he should be defending the constitution and ALL it stand for.