Vikings fear ACL injury for Dalvin Cook

Getty Images

The Vikings lost to the Lions on Sunday, and they may have lost a promising rookie for the rest of the year.

Coach Mike Zimmer told reporters that the team fears an ACL injury for running back Dalvin Cook, who suffered a non-contact knee injury while running the ball in the second half of the 14-7 loss to Detroit.

An MRI is coming on Monday, which may simply at this point be confirmation of whatever the physical examination of the knee revealed. In many cases, manipulation of the knee demonstrates the lack of stability that comes from a torn ACL. Sometimes the MRI contradicts.

87 responses to “Vikings fear ACL injury for Dalvin Cook

1. The Star Tribune said he returned to the bench “without crutches wearing only a knee sleeve”. If that serious, it would seem a more serious treatment would be used.

2. I know every team has injuries. And I’m not trying to be short-sighted, but they lost their starting QB and RB in 2016 (Bridgewater and Peterson). This year, they lose Bradford and Cook, freak knee injuries.

Vikings have never been able to catch a break. Ever.

3. While I’m a Packer fan, I can’t celebrate another player getting hurt, even if they’re on a hated division rival. That’s just classless. Hopefully it’s nothing serious and he’s back after they play the Packers in 2 weeks!

4. packsupersoldier says:
    October 1, 2017 at 5:09 pm
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t Cook’s injury history a big reason why he fell to the 2nd round?
    //////
    Ok. You’re wrong. It was character issues, not injury issues.

5. The Vikings new stadium is cursed. How else do you explain team’s bad luck since they moved?

6. Should I Be Offended by Redskins? says:
    October 1, 2017 at 5:06 pm

Vikings have never been able to catch a break. Ever.
    ////////////
    I believe if you lose your starting QB’s and RB’s in two consecutive seasons, you’re allowed to state your team sucks due to injuries.

7. packsupersoldier says:
    October 1, 2017 at 5:09 pm
    ********************************************************************************

I will correct you, because you are wrong. It was some off field issues that had him falling to the 2nd round.

8. filthymcnasty3 says:
    October 1, 2017 at 5:03 pm

Fortunately the Packers don’t make any excuses.

////////

Really good point. Pack lost top 2 RBs, both early in the game, and beat a division opponent. Minnesota? Not so much. Thumbs up = truth, thumbs down = truth.

10. Breaking…. Vikings to trade 1st pick in 2018 & 2019to New Orleans Saints for Adrian Peterson, Peterson announces his retirement after trade.

11. As a lifelong Vikings fan, sad to say but there’s another season down the drain!

MN has scored 9 & 7 points in two of those last 3 games
    Defense may be top-5, top-7, but their offense is an inconsistent mess

12. ad28bestever says:
    October 1, 2017 at 5:21 pm

LOL, remember when Minnesota almost won….something? yeah me neither…..

13. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    October 1, 2017 at 5:16 pm

No, they just suck.

14. I hope it’s not an acl year but if it is I hope he makes a good recovery and gets back on the field. I’m a Packers fan but I hate seeing these injuries regardless of team.

15. cribbage12 says:
    October 1, 2017 at 5:20 pm
    filthymcnasty3 says:
    October 1, 2017 at 5:03 pm

Fortunately the Packers don’t make any excuses.

////////

________________________________
    When Green Bay also loses back-to-back starting QBs, then we can make an apples-to-apples comparison.

16. Good luck son. I hope this heals quickly and completely. It is far too early in your career to have to deal with this, but just like with Teddy, the Vikings Fans and most of the NFL fans will be pulling for you.

17. The Packers lost two of their RB’s and still beat our division opponent at home.

18. conormacleod says:
    October 1, 2017 at 5:15 pm
    packsupersoldier says:
    October 1, 2017 at 5:09 pm
    //////
    Ok. You’re wrong. It was character issues, not injury issues.

There were significant injury questions too…

conormacleod says:
    October 1, 2017 at 5:15 pm
    packsupersoldier says:
    October 1, 2017 at 5:09 pm
    //////
    Ok. You’re wrong. It was character issues, not injury issues.

There were significant injury questions too, although not for his knees in particular. Look it up.

19. filthymcnasty3 says:
    October 1, 2017 at 5:01 pm
    Remember how smart Viking fans said Spieldope was for trading up and snagging him ahead of everyone else?
    ////////////
    I’m not even sure what to say about such an ignorant post.

20. BOYCOTT. THE KNEELERS
    —————————————————–

You should probably avoid all football-related sites as well. The comments section in particular……

21. Hoping the best for Dalvin Cook with this injury, never want to see a promising career derailed by injury.

22. I would take a serious look at the field turf that they installed, I remember reading some grumblings about the manufacturer and the injuries related to their turf not only in US Bank but other stadiums in the NFL. The Viking’s list of knee injuries since the US Bank opened include Peterson, Bradford and now Cook, off the top of my head, I believe there has been at least 3 opposing players that have suffered knee injuries. That’s way too many for injuries for only have played 10 regular season games on it.

23. cmr123 says:
    October 1, 2017 at 5:06 pm
    BOYCOTT. THE KNEELERS

—–
    Why don’t you start by boycotting the NFL, Profootballtalk, and anything associated with the NFL? Don’t worry buddy we are all riiiiight behind ya!

24. filthymcnasty3 says:
    October 1, 2017 at 5:01 pm

———————————

Yeah, because that injury was destined to happen at the exact same time, of this day, no matter what team he was playing for or where he was playing. If he had run straight or cut left, that injury may never have happened to him, his entire life. It’s not like our joints and muscles have expiration dates, and they just break or rupture on that date.

25. Cody Laws says:
    October 1, 2017 at 4:56 pm
    That’s too bad, but hope he’ll be ok.

63 17 Rate This

\\\\\\

17 people really don’t want him to be okay? Classy.

26. We brought this bad karma on ourselves! Talking about GB being in 3rd place when we were all tied for 1st. Where are we now? Third place!! You can’t spell “Third” without “IR”.

27. milkcan44 says:
    October 1, 2017 at 5:00 pm

———————————

Philip Rivers played the entire AFC Championship Game with a torn ACL.

28. filthymcnasty3 says:
    October 1, 2017 at 5:03 pm

Fortunately the Packers don’t make any excuses.

—————————-

Those two RBs aren’t good enough to start for anybody else in the league. They wouldn’t even be on the Bears’ or Viking’s roster and at best would be back ups in Detroit.

29. GB puppets never seem to amaze me. The most ignorant, classless, pathetic fans in the NFL hands down. Congrats, you are the best at something after all.
    ——-
    Says a guy who trolls every packer story with absolutely ridiculous comments. Hello pot, meet kettle.

30. dlw492 says:
    October 1, 2017 at 5:12 pm
    The same injury that Sam Bradford has, that they won’t confirm? I see

—————————–

It’s impossible to confirm anything at this point. They have to see inside it first, that’s why they have to wait for the MRI results.

31. If you’re reading this, heal quickly and completely Dalvin. As a Vikings fan I am very grateful you are a part of the team. Nothing to stop you from becoming one of the best ever. SKOL!

32. Fortunately the Packers don’t make any excuses. Yeah its pretty easy to look good when you have Rodgers back there. Without him you know your team would suck just saying

and you could have drafted Rodgers, twice, before the Packers did. I’m thinking management has been the problem.

33. opininatedmuch says:
    October 1, 2017 at 6:32 pm

—————————–

Why would a team that had a very good, young QB, coming off a near MVP season (I believe he was 2nd in voting to Manning), draft a QB in the 1st round? Nobody could have foreseen Culpepper’s knee being shredded by a defender’s shoulder pad, basically destroying his career.

Now, the management I would consider to be a problem is one that passes on Cook and Mixon twice, Kamara 3 times and Hunt 4 times to stick with a converted WR and draft 3 nobody RBs, that will probably end their careers as totally forgotten names.

34. skol2015 says:
    October 1, 2017 at 6:14 pm
    Cody Laws says:
    October 1, 2017 at 4:56 pm
    That’s too bad, but hope he’ll be ok.

63 17 Rate This

\\\\\\

17 people really don’t want him to be okay? Classy.

———————

We all know what team is their favorite.

35. To the two…maybe three REAL Viking fans in this thread, I say… Tough break guys. I cannot believe the bad luck your organization has had. Season isn’t over. Someone could step up.

36. There are a lot of posts on here about the Vikings being a cursed organization.
    I’ll do you one better, the Football Gods simply hate you.
    Minnesota’s fan base is full of classless, ignorant trolls.
    And when you don’t deserve nice things, guess what?
    I have absolutely nothing against the team, as I would against any division foe.
    But I just can’t stand their fans, they are the worst and I’m beginning to believe karma has a way of working against you.

As for Cook, I hope these initial reports prove false.
    But if his knee is indeed hurt to the extent they suspect, I hope he makes a rapid recovery.
    He’s young yet and I believe he should be able to bounce back from this.

37. wafflestomp says:
    October 1, 2017 at 7:06 pm
    Minnesota’s fan base is full of classless, ignorant trolls.

—————————–

Says the classless guy, or gal, that spends the vast majority of their so called life trolling Viking news threads.

38. Satanic Hell Creature says:
    October 1, 2017 at 6:25 pm
    dlw492 says:
    October 1, 2017 at 5:12 pm
    The same injury that Sam Bradford has, that they won’t confirm? I see

—————————–

_____________

It’s the turf in that dump. Every game someone has gone down.

39. glenne81 says:
    October 1, 2017 at 7:19 pm
    Satanic Hell Creature says:
    October 1, 2017 at 6:25 pm
    dlw492 says:
    October 1, 2017 at 5:12 pm
    The same injury that Sam Bradford has, that they won’t confirm? I see

—————————–

_____________

It’s the turf in that dump. Every game someone has gone down.

————————

Even if it is bad turf, you’re saying that confirms Cook’s injury. Interesting. . .

I’m sure it’s a pretty bad injury. Reluctantly, I’m guessing a season ender, but regardless of how bad the turf is, it doesn’t confirm it.

40. First of all, we don’t know the extent of the injury. It could be a season ending ACL, it could also just be a sprain with 2 to 4 weeks to come back. I would hate to speculate.

But one thing is for certain, playing indoors on artificial surfaces, there are a lot more knee injuries. I don’t know if any of you internet tough guys ever played football but for anyone who did, they will tell you that grass fields are much more forgiving.

Wishing the Vikings well but the owners opted out when they could have built an outdoor stadium like real football teams have.

41. Another Packers fan here. That kid is a good RB and I hope he’s not lost for the season. That would be a shame.

42. I would think coming back out with a compression sleeve only is an encouraging sign. If the Vikings have nothing else, they have a top notch medical staff when it comes to knees. Peterson’s knee recoveries and the fact that Teddy is even considered possible to play again speak volumes.

I know a lot of Falcons fans are barking about the turf in their new stadium taking out knees. I wonder if it’s the same turf and if so, is it the fault of the turf or is it just this year is going to be the league’s year for knee injuries.

43. Satanic Hell Creature says:

——————————————-

I’d bet the Vikings want one of them right now.

And the doctors don’t need to do an MRI to know it’s an ACL. They can tell by doing an exam. The MRI only confirms and shows the total extent of the injury. If the reports are correct then it’s the ACL. The MRI night show other damage as well but it is going to show ACL.

Judging by how he went down without any contact, it looked pretty bad.

44. misterpositivity says:
    October 1, 2017 at 5:35 pm
    Terrible players, terrible team, terrible city, terrible fans, terrible stadium.

As always, thumbs down if you agree!!!
    ********************************************************
    WOW! I didn’t think Packer fans were THAT fed up with those sissies in Green and yellow!

45. The packer trolls saying they lost 2 RB’s. Not really you had a WR playing RB if you think that is equal to Cook you are worse off than I thought. Murray will have to step up. The Vikings signed him for a reason. Here is your chance.

46. cheeseisfattening says:
    October 1, 2017 at 6:23 pm
    Injuries are the great equalizer that keep Minnesota from being an NFC North dynasty ever single year.
    /////////////////////////////

Maybe. Or, maybe the Vikings shoot themselves in the foot by having six different quarterbacks every year for the last twenty-five years. That would be my guess.

47. Injuries stink but that’s part of the game, and part odnthe reason they went and got a pro bowler to back him up.

All things considered Minnesota has been really fortunate to be in week 4 and only have 4 guys in the injury report heading into today’s game.

48. Every year it is the same thing, Vikings fans hope no key players get injured.
    Packer fans believe their team is going to make it to the Super Bowl… LOL…
    I hear a song.. Everly Brothers something about Dream, Dream, Dream coming from the Packers Locker room….

49. Another Packer fan who hopes Cook will be ok or come back strong.
    He did look good.

Those of you trolling that Montgomery is not an effective RB are just wrong.
    He does get injured a lot, but when healthy he is pretty good, and would be
    even better if the head coach knew how to build a running game and use it.

50. Satanic Hell Creature says:
    October 1, 2017 at 6:52 pm

_____________________

While I understand Culpepper had a great season there were always concerns about his turning the ball over with multiple seasons early on with double digit fumbles and INTs, and, and they still made him the highest paid QB and even possibly player at one point, but even if I agree with you 100000% and say the Vikings were right on passing him.

I would like to believe you would agree with me equally amounts that they did’t need a fast WR with stonehands, and an undersized 3rdd down pass rushing specialists DE like Erasmus James. No GM is going to make every perfect move. Being a great GM is like being a great pool player, everyone misses, its just that some miss more than others.

51. I am sorry to see this has happened to Cook. I really think he has a chance to be a special RB in the NFL. Hopefully there isn’t a complete ACL tear although being a Docor, I can tell you that with orthopedic testing it is often pretty evident. They haven’t released the information regarding that however.

Also, the below post could be the most ridiculous one in this thread second only to the posts saying packers fans were enjoying this injury. Most every Packer fan post was of concern.
    ______________________________