Bill Belichick on Stephon Gilmore: Everyone has room for improvement

Getty Images

When the Patriots signed cornerback Stephon Gilmore as a free agent this offseason, the predictions for how the Patriots secondary would play this season were pretty much the exact opposite of how the secondary has played through four games this season.

Safety Devin McCourty said after Sunday’s loss to the Panthers that the defensive backs are letting the team down and Gilmore was involved in two plays that fit into McCourty’s assessment. He was part of a communication breakdown that led to a Fozzy Whittaker touchdown and was flagged for illegal hands to the face to keep Carolina’s game-winning drive alive in the fourth quarter.

Gilmore didn’t open the second half in the team’s base defense, something Patriots coach Bill Belichick said was just about rotating players during a Monday conference call. He was then asked whether Gilmore was being used in the best way for his skill set. Belichick said they do what’s “best to help the team win” and then said he didn’t understand the question when asked if Gilmore came as “advertised.” That was rephrased as a question about whether Gilmore “has been the player that you thought he was.”

“I mean, look, I think everybody on our team has room for improvement; coaches, players, all of us, so you can put everybody into that group. We all need to work harder. We all need to do a better job,” Belichick said in comments distributed by the team.

That’s certainly true on the defensive side of the ball for the Patriots, who have allowed at least 33 points in three of their first four games, and the hope for New England may be that increased time working together will lead to better play from Gilmore in the back end of the defense. They won’t have much of that time before facing the Buccaneers on Thursday, so a quicker fix would come in handy.

44 responses to “Bill Belichick on Stephon Gilmore: Everyone has room for improvement

1. Four games is no season but Gilmore and the Patriots D has some work to do. Gilmore seems out of position on ever pass play and seems to be playing zone when the rest of the team is in man or vice versa….At this point I would take Maurice Hurst…Earthwind Moreland …Ricky Rynolds or even Randall Blue Gay….Gilmore signing was a bit of a reach to begin with……..I hope they can turn it around…….Time will tell

2. I remember the times I cursed Logan Ryan for often being a half-step away from the opposing receivers big catch and gain.

Now I’m wondering if we can trade Gilmore to the Titans for him………

3. redlikethepig says:
    October 2, 2017 at 10:27 am
    Keep your mouth shut and there’s no issue.

3 5 Rate This

——-

which is what i say every year

no worse than 12-4 and pray for health

worked in 2014 and 2016..we shall see if goodell continues to try to cheat so brazenly or not

4. Rob Ryan’s work with Gilmore and Darby set them both back in their careers. BB must have seen footage from before Rex hired Rob. Well at least Gilmore gets to be on TV more, which was his stated goal.

5. Bills fans saw this coming months ago.

The problem with Gilmore is inconsistency. He can play entire games looking like a top 5 NFL CB. But he can also go 3-4 games at a time looking like a 4th string rookie. He gets turned easily, he blows coverages often and he gets called for a lot of penalties. The good news for Pats fans is that he does have a habit of putting together his best games late in the year. The problem for the Pats is stopping other teams until he hits that point.

6. As a bills fan, I was happy to see Gilmore walk. He’s more of a liability than a cover-corner. Put him in man, and he’s OK-Good. But once he’s in a zone, or has to blitz, or ANYTHING other than run with the guy infront of you, he’s toast.

I would have like to have kept Gilesee, but you guys can HAVE Gilmore lol!!! I bet by week 14 he’s either CUT or BENCHED. We know BB don’t play around, and if you don’t do your job in NE, you won’t have one.

7. Gilmore stinks period. Our rookie White is already better after 4 games than the whole time Gilmore spent in Buffalo. I had no issues at all when the Patriots signed him, way too much money for an average DB at best, dude is never in the right position and gets burnt like toast. Thank God he is not a Buffalo Bill anymore. You can have him.

8. Wait….I thought the Patriots had better Bills players than the Bills??

It’s incredible that the Pats gave 40M guaranteed to Mr. Pass Interference.

9. As I said months ago when the Patriots picked up Gilmore and the Pats fans claimed he was one of the best corners in the league and was being held back by the inferior Bills, that I would not let you forget…..wait for it…..here it comes….Hey CHOWDS howz that Gilmore pick up working out for you…..

10. The Gilmore signing was alot and I will give it to Bills fans for saying that this guy is talented but inconsistent. I was surprised Belichick threw alot of money at him given his inconsistencies, maybe he thought he could correct those flaws but he hasnt yet.

11. Everyone except Brady that is, the man is looking younger every day thanks to Italian HGH and going to bed early.

12. I think Matt Patricia can only hide behind the “bend don’t break” philosophy for defense for only so long.

McCourty, Patricia and S. Belichick need to be called out on what’s going on defensively. My expectation is that Gilmore will eventually figure it out, but the pro bowl player and coaching needs to step it up and coach Gilmore up.

13. 5 years, 5+ million dollars. Not a typical Patriots signing. Seemed odd at the time, and is starting to look bad. I mean I understand if they broke the bank for Revis for one year, but this signing was bad. Why not just pay Logan Ryan who was decent?

14. I would dig up an old post where I lambasted this signing but I won’t. Funny how Pats fans and NFL “experts” like Heath Evans and Willie McGinnist thought this was the greatest signing ever made by Bill B lol. All of the Pats “greatness” is based off luck and cheating. The tuck rule = luck BS. First three rings they taped practices and the other two were gifted. Seahags don’t run the ball in a situation where even a little league coach would know to. The Failcons hand wrapped the last one with the worst play calling maybe ever in an NFL game. Everyone outside on NE knows it’s true.

15. Let’s not drop the lifeboats in the water. I remember after a 2-2 start in 2014, Brady & the Patriots were done.

We are onto Tampa Bay. As far as the Bills fans hooting, first let me say you deserve to enjoy your 3-1 start. But haven’t we seen this movie before ? Hopefully sometime soon this century the Bills will be back in the playoffs.

16. Belichick must have forgotten the beat-downs he put on Gilmore when he played for Buffalo.

Enjoy your overpaid prima donna, Pats fans. You’ve earned him.

17. Gilmore signing was an anomaly. And so far his performance seems underwhelming. But they definitely saw something in him that made it worth going for, and it certainly wasn’t based on his performance in Buffalo. I have to think that either the raw talent they noticed hasn’t been coached up enough yet, or it will be a dismal failure to be chocked up in the “you win some, you lose some” category.

Either way, if the Pats can’t get an officiating crew that isn’t slanted to kill every decent drive, this is going to be a long season. Those phantom penalties yesterday were so egregious that even the anti-New England FOX announcers had to question them. I’m sure they will get some training on hat before the next time they see the league mandated zebra stripe parity enforcement in action. They need to say: “Yeah, yeah, I saw that offensive pass interference” where there was none, and many more.

18. Lol at the haters gloating after 4 gms. As if Bills fans really think they have a chance to win the division. The Pats are still in the mix for at least the #2 seed. Gilmore was drafted #10 for a reason. He’s had 3 HCs and a number of coordinators in his career. I refuse to believe the talent the Pats lost vs what they gained on D would drop them from the #1 scoring D to #32. Yes, it’s very ugly right now. They’ll make it good enough by Dec. With their offense, how good does the D need to be. I’d say these guys will eat their words, but they won’t. They say the same thing every yr while they watch the Pats go to at least the AFCC gm again.

19. ampats says:
    October 2, 2017 at 4:25 pm

7 2 Rate This

————

Pretty much every year, pending strength of schedule, yes, Buffalo’s fans are still enjoying the balmy weather and going beserk with sellouts in Orchard Park, but then it slowly fades off as the cold weather comes.

Like clockwork.

Paper tigers blow their wads early on in seasons. We see it every year and every year the media takes the cheese.

Last year it was Arizona in the NFC and Baltimore in the AFC.

Of course, both teams have blowhards as coaches, pimping their teams relentlessly.

20. ampats says:
    October 2, 2017 at 4:25 pm

———–

I feel like the defense is more like 2002 or 2009 at the moment. Not that it can’t be fixed, but it’s a real problem. With the offense able to drop 30+ on good defenses I think that even a small improvement would get them back to winning. Then maybe improve enough by the end of the year to compete against good teams.

It’s actually a blessing at the moment that the Patriots don’t play the Bills until Dec. By that time it will be fully known what both teams are.

21. blah773 says:
    October 2, 2017 at 4:14 pm
    season far from over – but I am enjoying all the “19-0” patriot fan floundering at 2-2.

———

No Patriots fan though they were going 19-0. Some miserable fools in the Boston sports media were baiting people into that discussion, but no fans thought that.

The Patriots have been to 6 straight AFC Championship games since 2011 and in that stretch they went 2-2 twice. It happens. 19-0 was a pipe dream.

22. fjw2 says:
    October 2, 2017 at 4:50 pm

————–

Ultimately I do feel like if the Patriots leave their opponent in the game, they are subject to what ever calls they get, but I agree that some of the calls were ticky-tack.

The two calls on the final drive were really tough. Second “hands to the face” penalty for Gilmore (and he did hit the guys face very minimally), was away from the play and that play was a game changing play. Brady gets the ball with 2+ min left needing 3 to win. I hate calls like that. That impacted the outcome.

The second call was very odd and probably the worse call, but less impacting. That kicker could have still made a longer kick I think. It probably would have been 54.

23. Well, the Gilmore signing and cap hit will cost the Pats games this season, and that contract will cost them many more in the coming seasons. . Way too much money, and I have no idea what Bilechick was seeing.

24. joetoronto says:
    October 2, 2017 at 4:26 pm

Enjoy your overpaid prima donna, Pats fans. You’ve earned him.

Seems a bit too early to call Gilmore a bust, but “prima donna”? All I have seen from Gilmore is a very quiet, soft spoken, and respectful guy.

25. This is what happens when people get spoiled.They are 2/2 NOT 1and 3. They will get it together and they will win their division.I for one feel like they are going to be fine.They are a tough team and they will prove it.

26. Any Bills fan could have told you this would happen. Gilmore was pretty bad a lot of this time in Buffalo, especially last season.

27. Gilmore single handedly beat the Patriots last Sunday. He should have had a Carolina uniform on.

28. tylawspick6 says:
    October 2, 2017 at 5:05 pm
    ampats says:
    October 2, 2017 at 4:25 pm

7 2 Rate This

————

Like clockwork.

Last year it was Arizona in the NFC and Baltimore in the AFC.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
    The most informed Pats fan on here, IQ of a stump.

29. Belichick knows Gilmore is not worth $65.000.000. million Dollars, Hello he not going to get better trust me his money is gurantee he will play out the season and cash in. there will be few wining games,

30. I put $500 on the Pats winning Super Bowl back in March or April…

Come on, turn it around defense!

-Raiders fan lol