Sean Payton: Current American gun laws “not working”

Getty Images

Most NFL coaches are conditioned to say very little of interest any time, but particularly try to stay away from controversial topics.

But Saints coach Sean Payton was willing to wade into one of the hottest debates Tuesday, saying in the wake of the Las Vegas mass shooting which left 59 dead that the country needed a common sense approach to gun control.

Earlier in the day, Payton tweeted out a statistic from the New York Times which more Americans had been killed by firearms in the United States since 1968 than have died in battle in the country’s history.

During his teleconference with local reporters this afternoon, he said he’s frustrated to watch the news after going through former Saints defensive end Will Smith’s death in 2016.

“I just think let’s start from this standpoint — the current protocol is not working, the current system is not working,” Payton said. “And the madness is when you go years and years and years, and say, well, and so the current policies and thoughts are flawed.

“Listen, I believe this in my heart, we as a society owe it to our children and, I mean, we have to be better in that way. I’ve made my statements clear after the death of Will Smith, and these things come up, and then you try to draw parallels throughout our world, and look, it’s hard to. It’s hard to find other countries like that. And here we are as educated and smart and forward-thinking as we think we are, and yet it’s broken and it’s obvious. So, I’ll leave it at that.”

Payton has previously said he “hates guns,” and doesn’t care who hears that message, of his tweet or his follow-up.

“Very clear,” Payton said. “And look, if that pisses people off, that’s tough. . . .

“It’s just common sense. We can quietly sit and just think it — it’s frustrating. Sometimes you see things from afar and you look, and you think it’s madness.”

Payton was also critical of President Donald Trump’s “son of a bitch” remarks about players who kneel during the national anthem, saying “I think we need a little more wisdom in that office.”

While wading into politics is something most in football avoid, Payton’s own experiences with gun violence clearly moved him to take a stand, whether it divides his fanbase or not.

222 responses to “Sean Payton: Current American gun laws “not working”

1. Payton needs to watch out bringing politics in football. The people in the south love the right to bear arms and would tune out over this and taking a knee to the great anthem.

2. Blaming guns is like blaming pencils for bad spelling. The guns the dude had were illegal already. Dude was a nutjob, and was taken out, rightfully so. I pray for the victims families. But blaming guns is a joke.

3. If youre shooting someone, youre not following the law. If youre attempting to obtain a weapon with the intent of harm, a few laws aren’t going to get in your way.

See Chicago for evidence.

4. We have a law, the oldest law in history, found on the Ten Commandments.

Thou shall not murder.

We’ve ignored that rule for thousands of years. No gun law would’ve prevented this. We have to stop ignoring that there is evil in this world and acting like it doesn’t exist only blinds us from real solutions

5. Assault rifles should be banned. Period. The shooter could not have done as much damage with a bolt action rifle, shotgun, or pistol. Anyone who says otherwise is being dishonest. I am a responsible gun owner and former Marine firearms instructor who would like to see the madness end.

6. Coach Payton is correct but he just became a target for all the crazies with automatic and semi-automatic weapons. And by the way, do genuine hunters really need automatic and semi-automatic weapons?

7. “more Americans had been killed by firearms” isn’t really accurate – it should be “more Americans have died by firearms”. Those numbers take into account suicides and not just homicides.

On a related football topic – Alaska has the highest rate of suicide by firearm, and also doesn’t have an NFL team. I vote for Alaska getting a team before the UK to see if it changes those numbers. Not the Browns of course…..

8. Honestly I’ve always felt guns were for cowards in many ways. If you want to kill someone, you should have to do it with your bare hands or (preferably) not at all. I’m with the medieval knights who thought firearms were a great shame.

9. Eagleswoot,

Which Chicago gun laws do you find problematic? Tell us about your knowledge of Chicago’s gun laws.

In fact, what the coach said should not be controversial. This weekend’s events make clear that our laws our not working.

We need change. The only real question should be how to go about that change.

10. Though the statistic quoted is factually correct, the deaths for domestic gun usage has 66% deaths by suicide, then 33% by homicide, and final 1% from legal intervention and ‘other’ deaths.

11. The only thing people like Sean Payton will be satisfied with is the total confiscation of firearms.

Good luck with that, Sean.

12. Payton is white…so I guess he can bring politics in to sports and no one is crying about it…I wish Mike Tomlin or Hugh Jackson would have said that so I could hear more of the phony outrage…

13. Right to bear arms doesn’t mean AK47’s, silencers and automatic conversion kits. I think the framers of the constitution were thinking militias and muskets and I think they would be horrified to see what is legal today.

14. When will they listen, I don’t want your political view on any topics, Run Peterson more MORON

15. Have as many gun laws as you want…the man who is going to shoot up a crowd of unarmed people isn’t going to follow them.

I’m a law abiding citizen and owns a gun that has never and hopefully never will shoot another human. (You break in, you get the 120# Cane Corso, if that doesn’t work then the gun)

16. I have no issues with gun ownership….what I do have a issue with is coversion kits making guns fully automatic. Can we just get legislation on conversion kits? They are NOT protected by the 2nd ammendment.

17. I like the sentiment that we can’t do anything about this and shrug our shoulders. You realize when you write something like that, your apathy is a huge part of this problem?

18. “Gun laws don’t work look at Chicago” is the dumbest argument.

Yes Chicago has strict gun laws, the rest of Illinois does not. You just drive outside the city to get a gun.

Politics and football (and everything else really) are inseparably these days. Its the reality of our divisive political climate. Complaining won’t change that.

19. vonmillertime says:
    October 3, 2017 at 2:03 pm

1 0 Rate This
    ———————-
    That’s all well and good and I agree to a point but I do love my AR. I know if someone breaks in the exact gun I’m grabbing. I have mine set up for low light self defense and you can’t do that to the with another type to the extent you can with an AR. I don’t think you should just be able to walk into Walmart and buy an AR though.

20. Whether I agree with Payton or not is irrelevant. You’re a football coach, not a law maker. Football is an escape from all the bs that goes on in the world. Stick to that.

21. Eh, not sure laws stop people from breaking laws. Chicago has horrible gun crime yet some of the strictest gun laws. Honestly we should stop focusing on what people used and more on why. We need better mental health care, maybe screenings, wellness checks, anything…until we can figure out why people do this and how to stop their motivation it wont matter. You take the guns away, they just bomb things…or use cars…or knives. People who want to kill and kill a lot will find a way.

22. He is correct because gun laws dont stop people from being horrible. You can pass 1,000 gun laws (we actually as a nation have approx. 20,000 gun laws in effect) and it will not stop a bad person from being bad. It will stop a good person from protecting themselves, their families and others. Thank goodness there was a good person with a gun at the church in Tennessee or else that would have been way worse. FACTS are important. Perspective is not reality.

23. Stop already. The guy had explosive materials (ammonium nitrate) in his car. If not a gun he would have killed in another way. How about calling out the MSM and the constant drumbeat of resist and hate. Do you not believe this motivates these whackos?

24. eaglesw00t says:
    October 3, 2017 at 2:02 pm

~~~~~~
    You are right.

However – part of the problem is that so many guns ARE available to be stolen and then sold illegally. And I also believe that this should be a case of “don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good.”

Allowing people with mental issues free reign to buy weapons, or the recent (now abandoned) effort to legalize sound and flash suppressors in order to “decrease the discomfort gun owners have using their guns” (true comment!) both strike me as ridiculous given the modern environment. A red flag being thrown up preventing the sale of firearms to KNOWN mentally unbalanced individuals could’ve stopped more than a few mass casualty events…

Sean’s right. A little common sense could go a long way….

25. +1 on the murder is all ready against the law comment.

I’m waiting for the gun control crowd to actually be honest about what they want. Zero guns. Then the debate can be had in earnest. Until then, it’s similar to the kneeling, okay, yeah, an issue, what do you propose to do about it, within the framework of our law.

26. jonathankrobinson424 says:
    October 3, 2017 at 2:13 pm
    ——————————————————————-
    There is already legislation controlling these. Its a very controlled item.

27. Right to bear arms doesn’t mean AK47’s, silencers and automatic conversion kits. I think the framers of the constitution were thinking militias and muskets and I think they would be horrified to see what is legal today.
    =====

Probably less horrified at that than partisianship crippling the governments ability to function.

28. blaming guns is a simpleton’s response. I get it, he’s frustrated, we all are but it’s still a simpleton’s response.

29. If youre shooting someone, youre not following the law.
    =====

Don’t break into my car or home, and don’t try to harm my family and you’ve got nothing to worry about.

30. lgbarn

The counter to your argument. The right for a militia so is the people could actively fight against a corrupt government. Fairly certain the founders would be horrified by the vast amount of lethal weapons our government owns.

Again, Ill just say…focusing on how some one did something…does not resolve, help, or prevent future mass killings. Yelling about the second amendment does not help anyone. We need mental health care and better way of understanding where someones head is at.

31. there should be absolutely no reason to sell automatic and semi- automatic weapons. they should be outlawed period.

32. I’m all for the bearing of arms but why does anyone other than Military personnel need an automatic weapon? Please do not use the “for hunting answer”.
    **************
    It is already illegal for anyone to possess an automatic weapon (with the exception of active military and Police). The guns used in Vegas were illegal. Semi-Automatic weapons are legal. Those are guns that shoot one bullet per trigger pull.

33. Liberalsruineverything says:
    October 3, 2017 at 2:15 pm
    I live in a state with the highest per capita gun ownership and the lowest violent crime rate. Coincidence? No. The laws are fine. Go tell all the criminals in Chicago they can’t own guns.
    ——————————————————————————————-

No you don’t. Vermont has the lowest level of violent crime and Wyoming has the highest gun ownership per capita.

34. gibbskins9 says:
    October 3, 2017 at 2:11 pm
    ________________________________________________________________

Anyone that has watched a Saints game this season knows that MORE Peterson is not the answer. I wouldn’t be surprised if he were completely phased out during the bye week.

35. Making gun laws more strict only increases the difficulty for the law-abiding citizen. Unfortunately, the individuals carrying out the mass-shootings are not law-abiding citizens.

Even so, there are LEGAL ways to acquire an automatic weapon. Reagan banned them in 1986. However, it’s still legal to own one, and you can still purchase an automatic weapon if manufactured prior to the ban. You just need to pay $200 to the ATF, and pass a background check with finger prints.

Of course, it wouldn’t take a rocket surgeon to figure out how to modify a semi-automatic if he or she thinks in a malicious manner. I just don’t see how a law is going to change things for someone who ignores laws?

Playing devils advocate, if there was any way a regulation was possible, they would need a program similar to ‘cash-for-clunkers’, except ‘dollars-for-revolvers’. They would need to compensate every American perhaps +200% of market value of each gun to incentivize them to turn them in. It will never happen, and still yet most would likely reject. But if there was any way possible to get guns off the street, it would need to be an outright ban, in conjunction with compensation.

36. aarons444 says:
    October 3, 2017 at 2:21 pm
    ———————————————————————-
    Right to bear arms means a right to bear arms. I doesnt say right to bear muskets. We have advanced beyond muskets. If you can convince the rest of the world to go back to that technology so will I. I dont think that going to happen…..so Ill keep what Ive got.

37. Shooting happens. We blame guns, we blame the government, we fight with each other, we get angry. Another Shooting happens. We blame guns, we blame the government, we fight with each other, we get angry. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Maybe its time to look at legitimate reform in Mental Health Care. Including counseling, therapy, and providing our Mental Health Officials with enough resources to handle the HUGE number of people in need if mental health care.

38. Owning an assault rifle is a right, but healthcare for the 500 people shot in Vegas is a privilege?

39. While we’re at it, why don’t we make murder illegal as well! We should have a law against murder, that would work.
    Criminals don’t care about your laws!

40. Seriously if you look at the death cause by car accidents and injuries. Real cellphone laws while driving would do more for society.

In the 20th century alone, 200+million people have been killed by Govts against unarmed populous.

41. We should ban all guns except hunting rifles in America. Period. Japan has no guns–and no gun violence. Conservatives
    pretend that gun violence is not a problem–who are they kidding. They get hysterical if there is an attack by a foreigner–but when American massacres occur–and they are FREQUENT–they want everybody to sob and not wonder why this keeps happening. There are VAST numbers of people with mental troubles of one kind or another. Combine them with a nation awash in guns, with lax gun laws, and you get mass shootings. The NRA has sold paranoid men a bill of goods on guns. The self-defense argument is a MYTH. More guns make America less safe, not more safe.

42. France has some of the most stringent gun laws, and they still had the incident at the bataclan.

If we outlaw guns, they’ll come in from Mexico or Canada. Or maybe the next attack will be a super soaker full of acid.

Criminals are always one step ahead of laws.

43. When will these idiots recognize that the guns this nutjob used are already illegal without a very difficult to obtain federal firearems permit – which he did not have. Also, Timothy McVeigh killed more people with flippin’ fertilizer. It’s not the tool, it’s the handler.

44. “I’m waiting for the gun control crowd to actually be honest about what they want. Zero guns.”

This right here is a great example of the power of NRA lobbying. I’ve been liberal for almost 50 years, and never once felt like all guns should be confiscated. Most every other rational person I know feels exactly the same way. But you hear this same statement over and over from gun rights proponents. Hell, the industry loves it bc gun and ammo sales spike every time there is a Democrat in the White House.

NRA propaganda like the sentiment expressed above immediately shuts down any thought of working together to better things. The NRA knows its not true, doesn’t matter. It sells guns, ammo and provides red meat to the gun rights crowd.

45. The argument that stricter gun laws would be useless because criminals, by nature, are the ones who break laws, is one of the most disingenuous arguments in favor of gun ownership imaginable. By that flawed logic, we shouldn’t have any laws.

Nations with much stricter gun laws than the US also have many fewer incidents of gun-related deaths. Period.

46. thedawsonator says:
    October 3, 2017 at 2:16 pm

——————————————————-

So you want to force every citizen of this country to attend mandatory mental health screenings, what, on a yearly basis? Good luck with that. That infringes more on people’s freedoms than banning the sale of a specific kind of deadly weapon.

47. When the Founding Fathers wrote the 2nd Amendment, guns fired at most one round per minute. Today’s rifles have a cyclic rate of 600+. Maybe it’s time we stopped using 18th century laws to regulate 21st century weapons.

48. WolfgangVomFramps says:
    October 3, 2017 at 2:07 pm

I love the ‘well chicago has the strictest guns laws and they have the highest crime rate’, but 70% of the gunns in those crimes were obtained outside of Chicago. So yes, laws DO HELP. Will it solve every problem? no. But there is really no need for automatics anywhere. Put them in ranges for ppl to rent and use if they choose- but not need for someone to own one.

49. Yes BJ, France has an occasional issue. However, it has far fewer than the U.S.

If you are looking for perfect, you are never going to get it.

Substantially fewer? That’s realistic and likely with some reasonable reform.

50. Plenty of crazy people in China, plenty of interpersonal conflict, but they have a much, much lower murder rate. The difference? No guns, no culture of guns.

51. mk,

I love your argument. As you noted, there are murders. Laws don’t stop them. Since criminals will be criminals, we may just as well legalize murder, right? They are going to do it anyway, right?

52. dukeford56 says:
    October 3, 2017 at 2:10 pm

Good luck with that, Sean.

====================================================
    Amen! The idea of confiscating guns is long gone. There are more guns in America than automobiles. There is as much a chance of confiscating guns as there is of reviving the horse and buggy. Another hint to Sean “Captain Obvious” Peyton, lawbreakers like Paddock aren’t worried about following laws. Until you can fix that, you can forget about gun laws (or knife laws or any other laws) stopping crime.

53. Our gun laws work perfectly if you’re the NRA. Every time there is a mass murder, gun sales go up. Their job is to sell guns, not keep us safe. Our politician’s jobs are to keep us safe, but many of them rely on NRA money to get elected. The problem is with the campaign finance laws, not the gun laws. Nobody in their right mind thinks it’s a good idea for lunatics to own machine guns. Now the NRA wants these machine guns to have silencers on them. That guy in Las Vegas might have killed a couple thousand if he had silencers. That would have been a real boom for gun sales, and the NRA would have loved it. We need to get that dirty money out of politics, but Republicans rely on it. This blood is on the hands of the republicans, and they know it. That’s why they don’t like to talk about it after a shooting. It’s just common sense, but we like to play dumb sometimes.

54. We have a law, the oldest law in history, found on the Ten Commandments.

Thou shall not murder.

=====

That was a law code based on justice.

Yes, life was sacred, as it should be. But that same Biblical law code allowed “life for life.. eye for eye.. tooth for tooth..”

If your neighbor killed your brother, you were within your rights to take revenge. If it was an accident, there were provisions for that.

There’s no justice today. The punishment rarely fits the crime, and criminals take advantage of that.

55. Right to bear arms doesn’t mean AK47’s, silencers and automatic conversion kits. I think the framers of the constitution were thinking militias and muskets and I think they would be horrified to see what is legal today.
    ________________________________________________________________________

The framers of the constitution and the right to bear arms meant the cutting edge of weapon technology of the day. The right to bear arms was not granted so people could hunt but so people could defend themselves against a tyrannical government. So to say that the right to bear arms would limit people only to hunting type weapons misses the point of the 2cd amendment entirely, if that were the case the framers would have said arms only included knives and bows or hunting and no fire arms.

56. Hey Sean, how many people have died to drugs even tho they are illegal and we are currently at war with “drugs”???

57. Coach Payton will not be intimidated by criticisms here or elsewhere. When you’ve been touched by senseless gun violence, your eyes are opened.

We as a country MUST do better. Innocent deaths which could have been prevented are unacceptable results.

58. thedawsonator.

Why do you repeat the “Chicago has strict gun laws” line?

It simply is not true.

If there is as a Chicago gun law you consider oppressive, identify it.

Do some research. Act like something other than a parrot.

59. Then we should get rid of all laws since they are all broken and by the Payton’s analysis are not working. I get so sick of this intellectual mush. There is and always will be a cost for freedom.

60. I believe in the second amendment and protect the right of civilians to bear arms. With that being said I am more than open for any discussions on reducing the crimes that are committed with the help of guns. Yelling gun show loop hole and fully auto weapons should be illegal does not help or further the conversation. I would expect the government we all put in place on both sides of the isle will be able to pull real data and see how/if another crime like this can be prevented without removing rights from the 99.99999% of Americans who do not violate the current laws on the books.

61. Payton is a moron, 1st of all everything the “alleged” Stephen Paddock had was illegal, if you make gun ownership illegal, the only people that will surely get any weapons are the criminals.

They can have my gun when they have the balls to pry it from my cold dead hands!

62. here’s where the people have tantrums over peaceful protests turn a blind eye to massacres.

63. You are absolutely correct, Sean. Just look at the horror the “gun laws” of Chicago, NYC, Baltimore and other liberal, urban bastions have created. Common fuggin sense.

64. Why are those assault rifles even allowed to be manufactured openly? They have 1 use and 1 use only, to kill or maim another human being. If someone was manufacturing toasters that blew up in your face, or cars that made sudden left turns into oncoming traffic they’d be in prison for life.

65. vonmillertime says:
    October 3, 2017 at 2:03 pm
    ——————————————–

Puhlease. The shooter could have done even more damage with a truck loaded with explosives that he drove into the middle of that concert. Anyone with a suicidal intent to kill mass numbers of people don’t need guns to do it. We gonna ban U-Hauls? We gonna ban fertilizer?

Banning one means of death simply means that the criminal will find another illegal way to kill people. It’s an issue of the heart, not the choice of instrument.

66. You have to be a real bafoon to bring up Chicago in reference to gun laws. Mass murder isn’t prevalent in inner cities, try again morons. There’s no lone wolf in Chicago trying to kill 500 people he’s never met before, that’s about the most moronic argument I’ve heard. Gun laws do need reform and the mental health checks that surround the sale of guns are nothing more than a sham.

67. i, flounder says:
    October 3, 2017 at 2:51 pm
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Who, pray tell, has turned a blind eye to the massacres? Who, could turn a blind eye to them, with the breathless, orgasmic, 24/7 media coverage of them??

68. People who say “Assault Rifles Should be Banned” must not be aware that “assault rifles” are banned…semi-automatic guns aren’t, because they don’t fire any faster than any other gun (requires a trigger pull for each shell, as opposed to just holding the trigger down for repetitive fire). The only difference between a Semi-Automatic (legal) “Assault Rifle” and any other Semi-Automatic rifle is it’s shape. The mechanism that converts to “Automatic Fire” (as was used in 2 of the guns the shooter used) is illegal. However, they can be made in a machine shop. So, if a person can machine shop their own “Automatic Fire” mechanism, what makes you think they can’t do the same for any semi-automatic weapon? Or, make their own guns, in whatever shape & speed they want for that matter? This shooter acquired Automatic mechanisms, whether on the black market or by making them himself…but he didn’t buy them anywhere that’s following the laws that already exist.

69. Payton needs to shut up and concentrate on preparing his team to win.
    Because his defense is terrible.

70. Plenty of crazy people in China, plenty of interpersonal conflict, but they have a much, much lower murder rate. The difference? No guns, no culture of guns.
    ———————

infanticide is not murder?

71. Whether he is for it or against it, I don’t give a damn about his opinion on gun control Just like he could care less what I think about his coaching.

72. well, if gun laws arent working, then neither are drug laws, spousal abuse laws, illegal immigration laws, racketeering laws, money laundering laws, prostitution laws…….

73. Get guns out of peoples’ hands. Watch gun violence plummet. End of story. It’s proven around the world that this works. And our nation is a laughing stock because of our permissive gun laws.
    =====

I can’t even imagine what will happen when the US decides to go door to door to collect registered guns.

I don’t want to imagine.

You think crime is bad NOW? Wait until criminals are robbing people at will beacuse they can’t shoot back.

Nevermind the gun owners that won’t surrender their weapons and decide to fight back.

.. Thankfully I have relatives in Vancouver.

74. That’s because the 2nd Amendment is the only gun law that should be recognized.
    ——-
    You realize when that amendment was written the only type of guns that existed were muskets that, with a competent loader, could maybe fire two rounds a minute, right? Two terribly inaccurate rounds at that. The second amendment wasn’t intended to be perverted like it has been.

And like another poster said, guns are for cowards anyway. The more you own, deep down, the bigger chickens@#t you probably are.

75. well, if gun laws arent working, then neither are drug laws, spousal abuse laws, illegal immigration laws, racketeering laws, money laundering laws, prostitution laws……
    =====

We all need to take a page out of the Tyson playbook and fade into Bolivian.

76. Has anyone ever seen/heard a silencer used? It’s not like on TV. You can’t fire it in a crowd of people and no one notices. It’s more like a jet engine being reduced to a Mack truck. Everyone still knows it’s there, it just makes it bearable to be around.

77. Did you know: Chicago, with one of the strictest Gun laws in the Nation, has had 60 gun related murders & 352 people shot YTD this year. Not 1 was the result of Automatic Fire Assault Rifles…and all resulted while under the presumed “protections” of strict gun laws. Laws don’t save people & guns don’t commit crimes.

78. WolfgangVomFramps says:
    October 3, 2017 at 3:01 pm
    Matman13,
    After Oklahoma City, Congress regulated the purchase of the fertilizer in question.
    ———————————

It didn’t stop the Boston Marathon bombers, did it?

79. nfella says:

October 3, 2017 at 2:05 pm

I am not at all pro gun but this tweet doesn’t have accurate numbers if you are talking homicides and the majority of those numbers are from suicides. Again, not a pro gun person but I would prefer we are at least accurate when we post things like that.

80. Apparently the Coach prefers fewer freedoms for Americans; perhaps even some that have been preserved due to the 2nd amendment.

Does he treat all freedoms with the same contempt because of the harm they do? Are the 1st, 4th or 5th amendments less dangerous because they may be used to stir up or voice arbitrary hatred or that they let a dangerous criminal off the hook and back on the streets because of a “legal technicality?” Are those freedoms “not working” either?

Freedom comes with risks. You can’t have both Coach. Hate guns all you want, but it’s likely you can still say whatever you like, do whatever you like, vote for whomever you like, worship whatever you like and think whatever you like, in some part, *because* of them.

81. Let everyone own whatever gun they want. Outlaw all bullets. There isn’t anything in the 2nd Amendment saying you have a right to own bullets. LOL

82. There are close to 400 million guns in this country. No laws are going to make you safe. Much like the opiate problem in this country, you will not arrest you way out of it. Last time I checked murder was illegal, but WE kill it each everyday. Our country didn’t change because of a mass shooting, it changed a long long time ago, and it’s not going to get better. America is violent, now figure out how to deal with or move to Singapore. My country is dying.

83. The cat is already out of the bag. All you can do now is hope to contain it. There are a gazillion guns out there. Good luck finding a solution now.

84. Drugs are illegal too but it doesn’t stop people from getting them. And don’t say drugs don’t kill people because they do every single day.

The second amendment is not a law it is a right.

85. enlightenedskeptic says:
    October 3, 2017 at 3:12 pm

************************************************************

Plenty of other countries allow comparable freedoms while still adopting modern policies toward gun ownership, distribution, and control. Many of those same countries also have homicide and other violent crime rates that are a fraction of ours. Couching it as “freedom comes with risks” is a poor excuse for continuing to support antiquated policies.

86. Lots of people advocating gun ownership say that banning guns is a simpleton solution…and stop there.
    This suggests doing nothing is the answer.

I don’t have a solution.. but banning assault rifles – a gun with no hunting/practical purpose – is probably a good start.

87. Last I checked the VAST majority of gun crimes and gun deaths involve ILLEGAL guns. Put all the laws in place you want and the only ones impacted are law abiding citizens who aren’t committing the crimes to begin with.

88. pkrlvr says:
    October 3, 2017 at 3:05 pm
    That’s because the 2nd Amendment is the only gun law that should be recognized.
    ——-

___________________________________________________________
    You realize that the right to free speech was written before the internet, tv, telephone, or radio was invented? So should those not be covered under the first amendment? I see you like to use your first amendment right to call others cowards from the safety of your keyboard……

89. It’s funny how the staunch “pro-law enforcement is always right crowd” suddenly becomes anti-law enforcement anytime this issue comes up. Suddenly, the officers who can do no wrong in racial situations somehow become totally incapable of preventing gun violence via stricter enforcement. I call bull dung.

It’s also funny how those who blame mental illness are totally okay with politicians who want to slash CDC and federal mental health funding by $200+ million.

It’s a bunch of nonsensical talking points.

90. We should probably let the government be the only ones with guns. That would end real well for us. By the way, do black people really want cops being the only ones with guns on the streets?

91. More murdered people and the same old song and dance until next time. Everyone is convinced of the same old arguments. It’s time Congress did what MOST Americans want. Common sense gun laws. It’s insane one person can buy that many guns along with all that ammo in a short span of time and not end up on some Government red flag. These people may have legit reasons they can simply explain to law enforcement. The next gun law Congress wants to pass is buying silencers. If that law passes then nothing makes sense. I won’t be surprised though. We can’t even get rid of gun show loopholes…

92. Last year Sean Payton came out with public comments about how anyone can go online and buy a gun and have it shipped to their house after smith died. I tuned him out after that ignorant statement. People need to be informed before they speak—-the lack of knowledge on existing gun laws in this country is insane. Half the people in the media can’t describe the difference between a semi automatic weapon and an automatic. Yet they want people to take them seriously.

93. Nukes don’t kill people either.

Same lack of logic. All that dudes rifles were 100% legal. And he made them illegal by buying another 100% legal product. This is the issue we have in front of us. It’s a loop hole that we Americans need to close.

If anyone reading this happens to be the future victim of the next mass shooting. (There will be more.) My thoughts and prayers will be with you, but you. By then you’ll probably wish we had done more than just empty talk on a football blog.

94. ineptguy8 says:

October 3, 2017 at 3:07 pm

Try telling that to that corrupt buffoon Hillary Clinton.

95. uglydingo says:
    October 3, 2017 at 2:05 pm
    ——————

The 2nd amendment isn’t about hunting. It’s about the American citizens right to protect itself from a tyrannical federal government. For example a tyrannical federal government that would attempt to disarm its citizens and make them subjects.

96. Plus if you want to support the police then you’d want the most dangerous guns off the street. As they become rare, they get super expensive. A black market firearm in England goes for about $20,000 American dollars.

How can anyone claim to love our troops but threaten them if they come for your personal assault rifle?

97. its pretty funnny that nearly all the folks that say gun laws don’t stop criminals from using guns are the same folks that won’t apply the same logic to something much less harmful, like say cannibis.

98. youngnoizecom says:
    October 3, 2017 at 2:54 pm

No, you’re right, there is not one mass murderer. They’re spreading it out. 488 this year so far and few if any so called “assault” weapons, which BTW is one of the dumbest terms ever. No gun law on earth could have prevented these since many if not most are stolen/illegal. How do we stop stolen or illegal guns from getting into the hands of criminals? Take them away from law abiding people. Where do you think they get the guns inn the first place?

Armed populations are citizens, disarmed populations are subjects.

And no, I don’t own a gun nor did I vote for Trump and I also don’t care for country music. I’m also not as insensitive as lefty Hayley Geftman-Gold who was fired, rightfully, for saying the victims deserved no sympathy

“If they wouldn’t do anything when children were murdered I have no hope that Repugs [sic] will ever do the right thing,” Geftman-Gold wrote in a now-deleted message that was first reported and captured by The Daily Caller.

Geftman-Gold continued: “I’m actually not even sympathetic bc [sic] country music fans often are Republican gun toters [sic].”

99. sonofpenn says:

October 3, 2017 at 2:31 pm

__________

Yes, The right to defend yourself is a right, healthcare is a privilege. Next question.

100. @jdubkc: You’re attitude/belief system is what’s wrong with this country.

Owning firearms should be a privlege based on zero criminal record and stable mental health.

The state/the system/the man has a duty to the people to provide care of the eldery/sick/those who can’t care for themselves.

Now go load up on ARs and ammo so you can sleep tonight.

Carry on.

101. Sean Payton, by that reasoning our murder laws aren’t working either as thousands upon thousands of people choose to violate those laws every year and commit murder. Hell by that standard, literally none of our laws are working because people choose to violate them regularly. Stupid statement.

102. Shoulder held missile launchers are “arms” and I want to bear me some.

Has anyone here, wrapping themselves in the 2nd Amendment actually READ the darned thing? I’m not talking about the “bought and paid for” version the NRA panders about…I’m talking about the 2nd Amendment in it’s entirety.

103. Just what additional law would have prevented this one? You have to be really dumb not to realize we are in a real crisis of culture. There is no law that can fix that.

104. The laws aren’t working because criminals don’t pay attention to the law. Please don’t punish law-abiding folks for the actions of a few criminals.

105. Gun laws aren’t working because guns don’t kill people. People kill people. Some just chose to do so with a firearm.
    Until you start addressing the cause, the killing will continue even if they have to resort to rocks and hatchets.

106. Out of 11000 gun deaths last year, 61. involved legal guns. SIXTY ONE. The rest, you figure out whose killing who. STOP this victim bull.

107. The GOP can’t have it both ways. Allow lenient gun laws and also do not fund the mental health population. Hospitals have closed down Psych wards or lowered the number of beds available in their Psych wards because hospitals don’t make money on this clientele. Most homeless in the country have mental health issues. The GOP does nothing for this issue. But they have been heard loud and clear blaming this population for most of the mass shootings. Their agenda is taking care of the wealthy because they got it so bad in this country. Let’s give them a huge tax cut.

108. The vast majority of shooting death statistics are black on black crime in inner cities like Chicago that revolve around drugs.

The perpetrators violate the gun laws that are in place now. A good first step would be for the MSM to stop obsessing over POTUS tweets and instead practice professional journalism to expose and/or highlight the hypocrisy of these mayors who prefer to seek sound bites from MSM instead of actually making an effort to cut down on gun violence in their constituent areas.

109. How come none of these people, including the bloggers here, don’t speak out when it comes to inner city violence

110. factschecker says:
    October 3, 2017 at 3:57 pm

Because they would be in violation of their oath to uphold the Constitution. But if you prefer subjugation I can provide a list of places where you can be safe, and controlled.

111. While I agree that no person needs the kind of firepower that guy had in Vegas what does that have to do with football? People like sports and other entertainment so they can escape the troubles of life. Why is this so hard for the NFL to understand?

112. “Look – I grew up in a household with firearms, and I own one myself. But I also acknowledge the fact that modern firearms are DANGEROUS. We need licenses, driving exams, and insurance for our cars; and those aren’t even DESIGNED to kill people…”

******************************************
    I love this one…..so, lets license every one of our constitutional rights then…are we all ok with that? Freedom of speech, going forward, lets require everyone commenting on this site to have license to post an opinion or put up a website or write a blog…..how about a fee to cast your vote in an election…thats a fun one! Only those who can afford it can vote.

The problem is, driving a car is not a constitutional right….charging people to have a gun basically takes away a constitutional right away from those who cannot afford to keep up with the licensing and insurance. The right to protect yourself should NEVER be taken away from you, nor should it be conditional based on your financial situation.

113. Do you gun-defending idiots get that basically the entire free world disagrees with your ridiculous arguments. Do you get that nobody agrees with you outside of small minorities in other countries.

And how would you prove to them you’re right. By talking about America’s 30,000 deaths by guns every year. By talking about how many more mass shootings we have than any other country has. What’s your argument?

Oh, that’s right. Your argument is that it’s not the gun’s fault. Your argument is that bad people will just get guns anyway. Except that’s not how it works anywhere else in the world.

Nobody who disagrees with you thinks it’s the gun’s fault. We think it’s the government’s fault for letting people possess weapons that they can go on shooting sprees with, killing dozens of people in a few minutes.

Imagine the government suddenly said it was okay for anyone to purchase shoulder-fired missile launchers. And I passed a simple background check and got one. Then the next day I shot a plane out of the sky and everyone on the plane died. Would your argument be that I was just a wacko. That there’s nothing we can do. That it’s not the missile launchers fault. That I would have gotten it illegally anyway. Wouldn’t you just say that it’s probably a pretty insane idea to let people have shoulder-fired missile launchers.

Now you understand how we all feel about these weapons used in killing sprees that you somehow defend.

114. fmc651 says:
    October 3, 2017 at 5:02 pm

*******************************************************
    What are the lenient gun laws you are referring to? Its already illegal to possess a fully automatic weapon in this country and has been for 30 years. He illegally modified those legal weapons to be fully automatic. I dont believe he was a felon or otherwise prohibited from buying these weapons due to any legal standing. Murdering people is ILLEGAL and he knew this. When you’re hell bent on committing the ultimate crime, a gun law is NOT going to stand in your way.

I understand what youre saying about mental health, but keep in mind, everyone is sane, until they arent! It takes those that know him, live with him and have contact with him to raise their hand and point him to to authorities and get him checked out. There is no magic wand that you can waive that puts everyone’s mental status on their forehead for all to see! These people leave a trail, there is almost always someone in their lives that know they are going off the rails but never raise their hands.

Unless his guy had brain tumor like the UT tower shooter back in the 1960’s, there are more than likely signs that he is nuts.

115. thefirstsmilergrogan says:
    October 3, 2017 at 4:01 pm
    ___________________________________________
    You might be surprised at the number of libertarians out there that support both the 2nd amendment and hold the thought that cannabis should be just as legal and alcohol.

116. FoozieGrooler says:
    October 3, 2017 at 2:37 pm
    ——————————————————————————
    FoozieGrooler has zero idea what Fozzie is talking about….and has probably never fired a gun. “Todays rifles have a cyclic rate of 600+” You must be rich and have a fast trigger finger Fozzie, cause you are going to need to squeeze that thing 10 times a second for 60 seconds to achieve that rate….BECAUSE AUTOMATIC WEAPONS ARE HIGHLY RESTRICTED BY THE ATF AND START AT AROUND $18,000. Please stop spreading false information. Please go google “Transferable M16” if you need to.

117. WolfgangVomFramps says:
    October 3, 2017 at 5:31 pm
    Actually weete, nearly every constitutional protection is somewhat limited.

The first amendment is limited. Why not the second?
    ——————————-
    The second amendment is already unconstitutionally abridged.

The police are only here to find out who killed you and draw the chalk outline.

There is a prohibition on cocaine (among many, many other things like it) in this country and it’s available everywhere. Firearms wouldn’t be any different.

Current laws aren’t working? Fine. Let’s scrap welfare first. The black community went from 80% 2 parent households before the ‘Great Society’ to 30% after 40+ years of welfare. Where’s the outrage on that? I would argue it’s a direct cause of the inner city violence.

This is a political attack the left uses every time. Perhaps if they weren’t so adamant on squashing Christianity and therefore moral behavior, there wouldn’t be as many crazies to do what this guy did.

118. “No way to prevent this, says only nation where this ever happens”

–The Onion
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

I know the Onion is Satirical but I also know people have posted this believing it. Try telling that to the people in Norway, Germany and Finland. And Mexico has some pretty strict gun laws even though the right to keep arms is in there constitution, yet the Cartels still seem to be able to kill a lot of people every year. Oh and I love the comment about China having no gun culture and no gun violence. Yes all brought to you by an oppressive government that also brought its populace the Tienanmen square massacre. And speaking of oppressive governments and massacres how about Nazi germany, Pol Pot Cambodia, Stalinist Russia. Wonder what they all had in common?

119. nyctraffic says:
    October 3, 2017 at 2:39 pm

—————————————————————————-

CHINA: No guns…. unless you’re the government.

Our founding fathers KNEW the key to the people remaining free was its ability to fight its own government if it became tyrannical. Given the hardware our government has, I want no restrictions blocking law abiding citizens from parity, and keeping the government in check.

That is what the second amendment is about.

120. so many people today think they are political geniuses. as Lavar ball would say…”stay in yo lane!”

121. It is impossible to have a valued and open conversation on firearms with a person who has already publicly stated he “hates” guns, like coach Payton.
    Beyond banning or restricting gun ownership to only those that are affluent enough to afford exorbitant licensing, taxing and insurance. There are no laws that could be added that would have adverted the ambush in Las Vegas. I would gladly go to coach Payton if I wanted a discussion on offensive football but don’t see what insight one would gleam from a firearms law discussion with him. And to simply pass a new sales ban on firearms, what do you do with the 300+ Million already out in the US?

122. Yes own a gun, but do you really need an assault rifle? Pretty hard to take out over 550 people with a revolver.

123. He’s right. We need a change. Get more people armed up, and these incidents will decrease in number. Cowards worry when they don’t know who might be shooting back.

124. Whenever a coach is questioned about his playcalling or strategy, the SOP is always to confront the reporter and say, “You ever played or coached football? Don’t ask questions you don’t know anything about.”

Thanks to Sean Payton, the floodgates are now open for media to question playcalling and strategy!

125. raidervv says:
    October 3, 2017 at 5:31 pm
    ————————————

It’s the government’s fault for “letting” people possess weapons? “Letting?” The 2nd Amendment guarantees citizens the right to own firearms just like the 1st Amendment guarantees you the right to spout such idiocy without fear of government reprisal.

Let’s pretend, for a second, that Paddock had not been allowed to purchase the firearms he had in his possession. If he was intent on killing people, do you think that would have stopped him? The Boston Marathon bombers used a pressure cooker to kill 3 and wound hundreds, including 16 who lost limbs. Should we ban pressure cookers? What if Paddock had rented or stolen a large gas tanker, rammed it full speed into the concert, and then detonated the rig? There are endless possibilities when it comes to killing multitudes of people. Banning guns might reduce gun deaths, the vast majority of which would be suicide, but it would not stop mass killings. It would merely force those with a death wish to find another way to commit their heinous acts, meanwhile denying the Constitutional freedoms to American citizens.

126. Wow … Payton needs to stick to football.
    First the guns in Vegas were illegal … DUH!
    The second amendment protects Americans without it right now there would be a civil war because of the corrupt Deep State.
    Remember Venezuela … they took their guns away and look what the gov’t did? How is that working out for them?

127. I’m not going to argue about gun laws here. But to all those clueless ones parroting the lying media’s “2A was only for muskets” crap, here’s list of a few guns existing and widely used and known about, at the time the 2nd Amendment was ratified:

The Puckle gun was an early gatling gun created sometime around 1720.

The Belton Flintlock was developed during the Revolutionary War. It could fire up to 20 rounds in 5 seconds with one pull of the trigger.

The Girandoni rifle had a 22 round magazine, and could fire all 22 rounds accurately within 30 seconds. It was created during the Revolutionary War.

Pepper Box revolvers and rifles could hold between 4 and 20 rounds and were created hundreds of years before the 2nd Amendment was ratified.

128. You know what’s crazy? Facts. Of those gun deaths, homicides represent a minority. Suicides comprise the biggest share of those deaths, approximately 63 percent. 63 percent!

Since 1968,cars have killed about 10 million people in the USA. Apparently, it’s time to rethink cars.

129. Finally a man with cahones willing to say what needs to be said. I suspect if our founding fathers knew that guns would someday be able to spit off hundreds of rounds a minute they would have written the amendment differently. Right to bear arms is not consistent with these assault weapons that can be had on the street.

130. If we are concerned about deaths, let’s ban automobiles, trucks, and SUV’s. Far more are killed by people who can’t handle their vehicles than by guns.

Or, coaches can just stick to football since they obviously don’t know jack elsewhere.

131. France has some of the most stringent gun laws, and they still had the incident at the bataclan.

Criminals are always one step ahead of laws.
    ——————————————————————
    Yes, France had 3 groups of men carry out 6 distinct attacks with heavy weapons and suicide belts. Las Vegas was ONE GUY in a hotel room. Which attack had more injuries? Vegas. Blah blah but he would’ve used a truck, or a sword blah blah. The only way you injure 600 people is with weapons designed for CARNAGE. Most bombings don’t cause that many casualties. We live in a world where there are constant attacks by people with mental illnesses, religious reasons, political reasons, to straight up terrorism. There will be many more attacks. Anything that can help ONE MAN injure 600 people in a single attack should not be legal. Have as many pistols, shotguns and rifles as you like.

132. Bloodfart says:
    October 3, 2017 at 6:38 pm
    22,000 gun laws across the USA and it’s always the next law that will fix this problem with these alt-left types.
    ———————————-

Not just alt-left, but ALL democrats, liberals, progressives etc.
    All they do is spout the same things over and over.

133. You know what’s crazy? Facts. Of those gun deaths, homicides represent a minority. Suicides comprise the biggest share of those deaths, approximately 63 percent. 63 percent!

————————————————————————————————————–

Well WE PAY INSURANCE ON CARS, don’t we?

134. “Let’s pretend, for a second, that Paddock had not been allowed to purchase the firearms he had in his possession. If he was intent on killing people, do you think that would have stopped him? The Boston Marathon bombers used a pressure cooker to kill 3 and wound hundreds, including 16 who lost limbs. Should we ban pressure cookers?”

He would have been unable to sneak those past security into the event. You can’t throw pressure cookers out of windows from a hotel room a half mile away.

“What if Paddock had rented or stolen a large gas tanker, rammed it full speed into the concert, and then detonated the rig?”

This is factually impossible. Any gasoline trucking company would have been reported stolen immediately for insurance purposes, and cops would have run that license plate on his drive to Vegas and pulled him over. Anyone who has seen this section of Las Vegas Blvd knows that this venue is surrounded by a brick wall. Good luck getting a truck that huge to get to that rate of speed on a heavily policed and traffic jammed Las Vegas Blvd, hopping over the curb, and through the brick wall on the perfect angle to go the extra 1,000 feet through all the other obstacles just to get to the concert. One cannot simply rent a gas tanker filled with gas without a trucker’s license.

Using your creative thinking, he could have killed and injured a few people. But there is no way he would have been able to kill and injure as many people as he did.

135. Fact. Last time assault rifles were banned in the 90’s militias reared their ugly heads in great numbers. Another fact is the NRA has been oven taken around 1977. What was once an organization simply wanting to educate gun owners on the very best way to treat firearms safely, has been replaced by greed.

136. So i have guns in my house. This nutjob breaks in and steals them from me then uses them in vegas. Should i be punished because i somehow made it “easier for this dude to access guns?” OR does this guy get to be responsible for his own actions in every way possible? Criminals are criminals. They will get guns whether it’s easy or hard, you see, they do illegal crap, people. See this country, thanks to certain groups of people, have taken personal responsibility out of the equation and thus made it easy for blame to be placed on innocent people that had zero business in the matter.
    You are responsible for every decision you make in life.
    The comcept is very simple.
    Group 1 says “ i don’t like taco bell, let’s go somewhere else”
    Group 2 says “ I don’t like taco bell, we should protest it and see to it that that establishment is shut down forever!”
    I’ll let you decide who is who

137. weeteblog says:
    October 3, 2017 at 5:20 pm

******************************************

~~~~~~

The Second Amendment reads – and I quote:
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Note the phrase “well regulated Militia”?

The Supreme Court of the United States has ruled many times that the right belongs to individuals, while also ruling that the right is not unlimited and does not prohibit all regulation of either firearms or similar devices.

Also as a counter example – Free Speech *is* limited by law. For example – you are not allowed to incite a riot, such as yelling fire in a crowded theater. Other Constitutional rights ALSO have parameters set by law. I see no reason why the second amendment is more sacred than any other..

And that’s where I disagree with people such as yourself.

138. There are restrictions on all our rights, including the first amendment….the old you can’t yell fire in a crowded theater or say you want to assassinate the POTUS are two examples of speech not protected by the first amendment. So of course Congress or the states could enact laws that place legal restrictions on gun ownership that pass constitutional muster. California has some of the strictest gun laws in the country but they don’t seen to deter deaths caused by guns. So that said, let’s all pick some amendments we don’t like and advocate for laws to restrict them. My favorite would be the absolute perversion of the 14th amendment which allows unfettered awarding of citizenship to those born on American soil regardless of the legal status of the mother (and father if there is one) thus encouraging mass illegal immigration and anchor babies. How about we restrict that so that only babies born on American soil with at least one US citizen parent are automatically American citizens. Problem solved.

139. Hey Sean, its the Second Amendment for a reason. Ban all the guns you want and only outlaws will have guns. Murder without justification is illegal. How’s that working?

140. Neither are the nfl rules when the goodell marketing team arbitrarily decides punishment or simply decides to sweep things under the rug – HGH manning and the cheating donkeys plus a perfect example

141. psubeerman21 says:
    October 3, 2017 at 2:13 pm

I like the sentiment that we need “common sense” gun control. Please define. Then please tell me how any law will stop someone hellbent on murder

142. Hey Sean, how about you stick to coaching football and leave politics out of it..
    Guns don’t kill people, people kill people!!!

143. billsthicknthin says:
    October 3, 2017 at 7:19 pm
    “Well WE PAY INSURANCE ON CARS, don’t we?”

Nope, not all that utilize the US motorways carry insurance for driving. Some don’t even have a DL to show they have the required ability to drive. Thus why one has to carry “uninsured” motorist coverage.

144. Morons. We all know that people die every day driving cars. That doesn’t stop us from saving thousands more lives with speed limits, stop lights, stop signs, seat belts, etc. If the gun lobby was running the department of transportation, nobody would be wearing seatbelts, there wouldn’t be any traffic signals, and they’d have a handful of morons convinced that all that safety stuff was just a waste of taxpayers’ money. They’d point to one incident where a guy was killed while wearing a seat belt and use that as their “proof”. They’d make their wives and kids buckle up, but they’d sell you the bridge. And you’d buy it. Ahh. Ignorance is bliss.

145. God forbid something happens like a freak event i.e. An EMP from a solar flare takes us back to the 1800s taking out the power grid and all we have are sticks and rocks to hunt food with.
    It would be funny to see all the flakes melting over not having a public platform to express their feelings, maybe they form hug circles and safe spaces to talk about how they feel instead of doing something about it.

146. I thought Obama took all our guns. At least that’s what the GOP attack ads told us! Guess they were wrong about that one. Oh well, let’s just put all of our blind faith into the murder lobby.

147. “We have more guns available to the public than any other nation in the world by far, we have far more mass shootings every year than any other nation in the world by a disturbingly wide margin, cops are so terrified of a routine traffic stop because every whack job out there is packing heat so they end up being so on edge day after day that they just open fire on civilians, armed or unarmed, without even thinking about it……..but no, guns aren’t the problem. We need MORE guns. Let’s loosen the laws and make it even easier for MORE guns to flood the streets because you know, this has nothing to do with the problem we refuse to acknowledge”

– American gun nuts

And these politicians who are on the NRA’s payroll sending “thoughts and prayers” to mass shooting victims month after month is so hollow and meaningless when it’s paired with such blatant legislative indifference. Just pathetic.

No other country in the world has this amount of guns, and no other country in the world has this level of mass civilian violence. But there’s no connection there huh? Yeah, sure there isn’t. What a joke. Keep fighting for your freedumb, because with this many arms being bore it will assuredly be a fight to the death.

148. “longtermbuffalonian”

Regulated in the phrase “well-regulated militia” refers to an organized and trained militia not to limitations and prohibitions placed on the militia or individuals right to bear arms.

149. When we have mass shootings every year. You can make an argument for Payton’s side of things.
    And can we all agree at least the silencer bill is just plain foolhardy. Could you imagine the damage if this guy had used a silencer?

150. bjbroderick says:
    October 3, 2017 at 2:34 pm

Criminals are always one step ahead of laws

—————

Yes but semi and automatic weapons from canada…

See how well you do with that.
    Our citizens are only allowed to have a certain amount of weapons. Plus no concealed weapons are allowed. Plus i believe you need to pass many courses to buy a real gun here. Also you need to legally register it.

By no means am i saying that we dont have criminals or illegal arms.

But you cant just walk off the street with a drivers liscence and a clean record and buy an ar15 and hide it in a trenchcoat.

Criminals are criminals they will find a way no doubt. But even if u try to make it harder for the people who dont follow the rules it may decrease. But i also think america is too far out of control for it to every happen.

151. To be fair to both sides, we knew Payton’s perspective on this already. The statement is hardly unexpected, he has a right to his opinion, and I respect his inclination to try and help, even if I disagree with his opinion.

152. LSUStrong says:
    October 3, 2017 at 9:32 pm
    “longtermbuffalonian”

~~~~~~~
    Yep -I know…

Using your phrasing – “organization and training”: I think laws regarding licenses, registration, and proof of training via tests CAN be appropriate…

See?

(As I said – I’m NOT against gun ownership – I own one. I do think that the current “no laws restricting guns at ALL” position of the NRA is ludicrous. There is valid middle ground – no matter much gun rights activists claim people like me are after the total disarming of America…)

153. fmc651 says:
    October 3, 2017 at 9:57 pm
    ————————————
    First off it’s a suppressor and second it doesn’t go pew pew like in the movies. It’s for the shooter to not get so much muzzle blast. Down range you can hear it just fine on a high powered rifle.

154. lgbarn says:

October 3, 2017 at 2:11 pm

——————————————————–

This is funny right here, so open your mind and think for a minute. Those guns from the Framer’s time were muskets and the like. That’s because at the time, the oppressive government forces used THE SAME GUNS. So, you want Americans today to STIL carry single shot muskets, against our own government and foreign forces using state of the art weaponry. Laser guided missles. full auto rifles. The Right to bear arms is forever. the types of guns from to now has changed. Like your way of thinking should be.

155. Criminals and mentally ill people cannot have guns. They cannot legally have guns. There’s a reason for that. There is a high probability that they will do harm with them.

A convicted felon illegally carrying a firearm NEEDS a minimum of 5 years in prison. 2nd offense, 10 years. Persons committing crimes using a gun, gets a mandatory 3 year term.

Judges and state minimums are a joke. Revamp the judicial system. easy exsmple, point a gun in a robbery-5 years mandatory. Word would get around as family members and friends spend half a decade in prison.

156. weeteblog I do not think you do understand the mental health issue when you state “everyone is sane until they aren’t” The country needs to fund this population and get them off the streets. There are plenty of people walking the streets or at a Salvation Army for years that have mental health issues. And it didn’t just happen and then they went out and did something horrific. Hospitals need to do their share to help this population. The hospitals are part of the problem now. Federal and states not funding help for this population is part of the problem as well.

157. Things will change? Don’t be ridiculous! No amount of gun control laws will change things. There will be more mass killings in America’s future, and what’s more you can bet on it. Politicians pay lip service to it, but aren’t really interested in changing things. To the NRA, gun lobby and gun manufacturers mass killings – any killing – is simply the cost of doing business. The Second Amendment sacred cow will always be there, never to be changed or repealed. Get used to it, America. Gun violence is in the American psyche, and it’s not changing. As a matter of fact the history of America is the history of the gun. So get used to it, America. More mass killings are coming, it’s just a matter of time. Pray you’re not in the line of fire.

158. It’s not guns in themselves it’s access. Small things like allowing social security to sync their database of mentally ill beneficiaries with the gun background check database would be nice. And we had it too, until Trump got rid of it in February.

159. babygaga19 says:

October 3, 2017 at 8:12 pm

==========

So the police and military are considered “outlaws” in your scenario?

160. im so shocked that the same comments section that doesnt believe there’s any racial inequality also believes that there’s no problem with gun laws.

We’ve made it easier for mentally unstable people to get guns in 2017. Let that sink in for a second.

Glad there are responsible gun owners out there. There are also responsible drug users out there, but some people screw it up for everyone. And at least with drug users, at least most of the time they really only damage/kill themselves.

161. The shooter could have done even more damage with a truck loaded with explosives that he drove into the middle of that concert. Anyone with a suicidal intent to kill mass numbers of people don’t need guns to do it. We gonna ban U-Hauls? We gonna ban fertilizer?

_____________________________________________

Trucks and fertilizer are not intended to be used to harm people. Firearms and explosives are. Why is this so difficult to understand?

162. TheWizard says:
    October 3, 2017 at 6:07 pm

———–

Look, regardless of how you feel about gun control, this is a stupid argument. The Vegas shooter was firing automatic rifles on tripods from a room 32 stories up and 400 yards away during a loud concert at night. He was also clearly not interested in getting out alive.

I don’t think he was too worried that some kind of armed bystander would take him out.

163. So many people want to tear up the Bill of Rights these days. It’s not happening, at least not without a civil war.