Damarious Randall apologizes, sort of, for last week’s blowup

Getty Images

Packers cornerback Damarious Randall was sent to the locker room last week against the Bears, after an argument with a coach. He then left the stadium, before coming in the next day to clear the air with coach Mike McCarthy.

Wednesday, the first time he addressed the situation, he sort of apologized, but took a defiant tone with reporters who asked about what is by any measure a curious situation.

“A lot of y’all was explaining, wasn’t you?” Randall said, via Michael Cohen of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “It was an internal matter, and everything is handled.”

Oh, well that makes perfect sense.

Asked what he learned from the experience, Randall replied: “Just kind of growing up. Just being a little bit more professional.”

He used the words “internal matter” seven times in a six-minute interview, and when asked about the touchdown he gave up which preceded it, and whether there was a lack of communication somewhere, he turned it back on reporters again.

“I mean, a lot of you all wrote about it like you all know everything,” he said. “I mean, obviously you all must know everything so I should be asking you all what happened.”

Randall was back on the practice field Wednesday, so the team is apparently content with the explanation.

“As far as getting ready for football games, we’re going about it like we always have,” McCarthy said. “Damarious Randall’s situation is, it’s internal, it’s been addressed and we’re moving forward.”

The former first-rounder wasn’t having a particularly poor game before the touchdown, and the Packers clearly need him on the field. He was replaced by former undrafted free agent Josh Hawkins to finish the Bears game.

41 responses to “Damarious Randall apologizes, sort of, for last week’s blowup

1. Don’t kid yourself. Dude is on his way out. Either by the trade deadline or next off-season. McCarthy won’t tolerate locker room cancers once he has the opportunity to be rid of it

2. He’ll stay around if this really got dealt with. There’s no way he could be any worse than Quinton Rollins… Has he lived up to the first round pick? No, but its not like we have a whole lot of options in our secondary.

3. This kid is quite the enigma. Promising rookie year, followed by an injury plagued second year. This year, he’s supposedly healthy and one would expect he’d at least pick up where he left off at the end of his rookie year. Hasn’t happened. That said, I’m not ready to write him off just yet (although that may very well change by the end of this season).

As for the outburst, I tend to be pretty forgiving. Once. We don’t know what may be going on in his personal life and Jebus knows, each and every one of us has “gone off” at one point or another and made a fool of ourselves. It’s how he conducts himself going forward that counts.

To steal a (very wise) line from Eddie Alvarez: “It’s not what happened that matters; it’s how we react to it.”

4. I’m a Packers fan and Randall comes off as a punk, to me. He needs to do two things. He needs to play a whole lot better and he needs to grow up.

5. bondlake says:
    October 5, 2017 at 9:11 am
    Another Ted Thompson draft bust. TT should also exit the stadium.

—————————————————————————————–

Uh, put up the Packers record since Ted Thompson took over as GM and include how many times they’ve won their division and been to the playoffs. And did they win a Super Bowl under him?
    You are either a troll or you are clueless about Ted Thompson.

6. bondlake says:
    October 5, 2017 at 9:11 am

Another Ted Thompson draft bust. TT should also exit the stadium.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Let me get this straight. Randall, drafted number 30 and having spent all of last year injured, is a bust; but Trae Waynes, drafted number 11 in the same draft and having been even less productive than Randall, while healthy, “just needs more time to develop.”

Quality work, Mr. Spielman.

7. Well it sure sounds like he learned about being a good teammate when he snapped at the reporters and that he won’t quit on his coaches and team again . Yeah, that short fuse has been handled…internally 😛

Seriously I was not even sure he had returned to the team. That is a good sign I guess but how long before the next Packer quits on those coaches?

8. ariani1985 says:
    October 5, 2017 at 8:16 am
    just another turd Thompson 1st round bust!

baaaaaaam baby!
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Let's compare 1st round busts ariani. I think Spielman has Thompson over a barrel on 1st round busts pal.

9. Quits on his team and is welcomed back with open arms? Desperate squad gotta do what they gotta do I guess. Would fly with a class team like the one directly to GB’s West. Truth be told, GB is not very good at this football thing….

10. Some of these comments are precisely why MM is the head coach of GB and we are not. Randall is not getting fired or released. He’s an athlete that’s shown a prima donna side to his personality and his immaturity got him in hot water. MM was unemotional in his outward response, the coaches had some serious talks with Randall and they’re ready to put him back on the field.

I believe his already decent play will continue to get better the less he freelances and the more he sticks to his assignments. I think in retrospect this incident will end up being a positive turning point for him and by mid-season he’ll be playing really solid ball against both run and pass.

11. Charles Woodson had a similar incident. It was the spark that made him play 3 more pro bowl seasons for Green Bay. Some people just have a certain way expressing frustration. Hopefully he uses this the way Woodson did.

12. I agree that this kid certainly appears to be a smart mouth punk. His reaction to reporters tells me he hasn’t learned his lesson either. It’s who he is. The sooner we find someone to replace him, and we do have some good dbs that are coming along, the better.

13. The Almighty Cabbage says:
    October 5, 2017 at 9:45 am

__________

He spent all of last year injured but still started nine games? Randall may have had bigger numbers his first year, but Waynes was playing behind Newman because the Vikings didn’t need to start a rookie corner. This year, I think I’d prefer the guy who has more tackles, interceptions, and passes defensed, and hasn’t quit on his team.

14. The team should have suspended him for the max allowed time and let this clown think about being a man instead of a tantrum throwing child.

I’ll never buy the sorry and lame excuse that some people have different ways of expressing frustration – that excuse (and it is still lame) is okay if you are a child or if you are not paid to play; but pro football is a profession and you are to be expected to elevate your game, not to bring your whining brat with you that you deploy when you aren’t man enough to express your frustration.

15. On whether there was a miscommunication in the secondary on that play: “It was an internal matter, man.”

Wow, don’t dare aska question about a play that did not go well in Green Bay anymore as those are all “internal matters” from now on.

16. Charles Woodson had a similar incident. It was the spark that made him play 3 more pro bowl seasons for Green Bay. Some people just have a certain way expressing frustration. Hopefully he uses this the way Woodson did.
    =====

Woodsons incindent was in training camp.

How many players can you name that walked out on their team DURING a game?

.. and Woodsons contract made him impossible to cut in 2006. Randall’s roster spot isn’t safe by any means.

17. nyneal: if it weren’t for Rodgers, GB wouldn’t win 4 games a year. TT has consistently failed to surround Rodgers with sufficient talent to get over the top. Bob McGinn (you most likely don’t know who he is, do you?) got it right: TT is a disaster & if you ever attended a Packers shareholders meeting as I have, you’d know that TT is as inspiring as a wet dishrag.

18. I bet Mike McCarthy threatened to shame him publically like he had done to Eddie Lacy the year before.
    =====

If he has to shame others to prevent shaming himself on the field, that’s fine by me.

19. It is sad to watch someone with potential derail their career (and possibly even bigger paychecks) through immaturity and attitude. He will probably look back on this someday and shake his head at the way he acted.

20. if it weren’t for Rodgers, GB wouldn’t win 4 games a year. TT has consistently failed to surround Rodgers with sufficient talent to get over the top.
    =====

The talent level has fallen off for sure, even on offense.

Coaching is the problem, IMO.

More often than not, McCarthy gets taken behind the woodshed in big games. And Capers is an unmitigated disaster. How he is still employed is absolutely beyond me.

21. It is sad to watch someone with potential derail their career (and possibly even bigger paychecks) through immaturity and attitude. He will probably look back on this someday and shake his head at the way he acted.
    =====

Fair point.

But why can’t the coaches get through to him?.. or a teammate?

Darren Perry has been in the NFL since 1992.. 25 years!

Tramon Williams and Woodson used to gush about Joe Whitt.. why can’t he turn Randall around?

22. In Teddy We Trust says:
    October 5, 2017 at 10:35 am
    The Almighty Cabbage says:
    October 5, 2017 at 9:45 am

__________

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, he was hurt all year and underwent surgery in the offseason. He played through the injury. That is hardly “quit.” I get it, you and your little purple pals are in a panic to justify the way your entire team quit AND walked all over “hard nosed Zimmer” last year… but trying to infer Randall “quit” isn’t going to do it.

23. allight59 says:
    October 5, 2017 at 10:04 am
    ____________________

Yeah, I guess the second best record over the past decade depicts desperation. LOL!
    Vikings trolls just don’t get it.

24. I would have loved to have been a fly in the room when he met with MM — he doesn’t put up with that kind of crap. I’m trying to figure if it would be scarier for a kid to bring home MM’s or Zim’s daughter after their curfew.

25. I think it’s odd that PFT chose this exchange to report about Randall’s reaction to last Thursday nights antics.
    I’ve heard other audio where Randall showed remorse and contrition over the situation and apologized for his actions.

I believe his contention with the media is the fact they were reporting that he left the stadium before the game was over. (Which this article also insinuates)
    Randall, as well as others, have been steadfast in disputing this notion since the beginning.

His outburst on the sideline was ridiculous and can’t happen.
    McCarthy was correct in removing this player from the situation and I trust this has been handled in the appropriate manner.
    I also applaud everyone for keeping this episode a locker room matter.
    So many organizations air their schisms and dirty laundry for all to see.

We’ll see how Demarious handles this moving forward.
    Though he’s young yet, it’s painfully obvious that he’s got a long ways to go, on and off the field, to get back in the good graces of this team.

26. The Almighty Cabbage says:
    October 5, 2017 at 12:31 pm

_________

First, I didn’t infer Randall quit, I implied it.

Second, it should be patently obvious that I was referring to him leaving the field last week, not being injured last year.

You’re really having trouble today, aren’t you?

27. I would be angry and bitter too if I was Mr. Randall. Forced to live in Green Bay, told to play out of his best position and then condescended by coaches when things do not go well despite Mr. Randall’s best effort to be positive. This is the story of a good young man who was broken by circumstances beyond his control.

28. In Teddy We Trust says:
    October 5, 2017 at 3:19 pm
    The Almighty Cabbage says:
    October 5, 2017 at 12:31 pm

_________

First, I didn’t infer Randall quit, I implied it.

You’re really having trouble today, aren’t you?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You may have implied it but you had to infer it first… and it’s wrong both ways. Randall did not choose to leave the field, he was sent to the locker room by his head coach… to whom he listened. Unlike your “vaunted” backfield running all over “hard nosed Zimmer” last year… while were taking a beating… from the Packers.

29. Randall did not choose to leave the field, he was sent to the locker room by his head coach… to whom he listened. Unlike your “vaunted” backfield running all over “hard nosed Zimmer” last year… while were taking a beating… from the Packers.
    ———-
    Randall was insubordinate when he argued with his coach even if the coach deserved some if it. Randall quit when he left the stadium while the game was being played without permission or even notification. Quit his coaches, team and fans.

Newman was insubordinate when he insisted he could cover Nelson last year. Rhodes was also insubordinate when he differed to his mentor. Neither quit and walked away from anything, certainly not a stadium or locker room during a live game.

30. Randall didn’t leave the stadium. It was reported erroneously. But you go ahead and keep hopping up and down, screeching that he did, hoping to justify the way your entire team quit last year. Systematically, position group by position group, quit. Flat-out quit. The cardinal sin in the NFL. “Hard nosed” Zimmer screamed his way from 5-0 all the way to 8-8 and very possibly out of a job. Not to worry, though… I’m sure yet another “best coach in the NFL” is right around the corner.