Lions LB says fans wishing CTE on him for kneeling during anthem

Getty Images

Apparently the people who want Lions linebacker Jalen Reeves-Maybin to show his respect for the national anthem have no respect for his health.

Reeves-Maybin is one of the two Lions who has continued to kneel during the anthem, even after owner Martha Firestone Ford offered to make donations to charities on the players’ behalf if they stood.

“People are saying, like, ‘I hope you get CTE,'” Reeves-Maybin said, via Kyle Meinke of Mlive.com. “Or, ‘I hope you can’t play with your kids when you get done playing,’ Stuff like that. But, yeah. It doesn’t bother me.”

The rookie said he’s also heard a barrage of racial epithets, including the N-word in stadiums.

But that hasn’t kept him from making his feelings known. Eight Lions knelt two weeks ago after President Donald Trump’s remarks that any “son of a bitch” who did so should be fired. When Firestone offered to buy her players’ attention, all but Reeves-Maybin and linebacker Steve Longa stood with arms linked.

“I feel like the right thing for me to do is kneel,” Reeves-Maybin said. “I really don’t like the state of social inequalities and justices that go on here. I didn’t want it to be about what President Trump said, and I felt like at the time, the week when you saw all the demonstrations, I feel like it more so made it about that and that’s not the idea of what it should have been.”

He said no one in the organization has said anything to him about his decision, but he has been overwhelmed by the response on social media. Which is disappointing, but probably #asexpected.

96 responses to “Lions LB says fans wishing CTE on him for kneeling during anthem

1. If the owners are fine with him protesting, he should do it if he’s compelled to. I hope everybody respects his first amendment rights, as much as he respects their right to say those disgusting things to him.

2. I do wish he would cut the kneeling bit. But still those fans are inexcusable. That sort of behavior is worse than his kneeling. And is the article saying that they are screaming that stuff during the anthem. Where is their own respect.

3. Keep kneeling, the new improved much lower salary cap will reflect your actions.

The fans are in 1st place.

We protest with $$$$$$$$$$$$

4. Is this supposed to change people’s minds? Guess what, anybody who takes a public stand on almost any issue gets death threats. It’s sick, but can we stop pretending it isn’t ubiquitous.

5. “People are saying, like, ‘I hope you get CTE,’” Reeves-Maybin said, via Kyle Meinke of Mlive.com. “Or, ‘I hope you can’t play with your kids when you get done playing,’ Stuff like that. But, yeah. It doesn’t bother me.”
    ———–
    Doesn’t bother you but you air it out there. 10 to 1 says it didn’t even happen. Stand for the flag.

6. The players don’t know what they’re protesting. It’s divide and conquer and they are the useful idiots.

Did they think they were going to get change from being disrespectful? They don’t even know what to change. They’re still the idiots, yes IDIOTS blaming it on race.

It’s policy, but these morons can’t figure it out. So they become useful idiots to make things worse.

Good job. Take a non-racial issue that everyone would support and make it into no one supports because you make it about race and disrespect.

They should write a book on how to screw up a sure thing. These players would be kneeling on the cover.

7. What are these idiots doing off the field to fix the problems? Nothing. Taking a knee doesn’t fix anything. Get your butt out in the community and help make a difference, donate a pay check, find a way to make a difference instead of being a little baby and disrespecting our country.

8. If a whole game isn’t filled with the “QB Kneel” play, I don’t want to hear about it. When they want to take protesting seriously, let me know.

9. This is where I just can’t follow all the people pushing back against the protests.

The flag is a *symbol* of our country. The people in our country *are* the country.

When you show so much hate for the actual human beings that make up our country, for the sake of a symbol, you have something backwards.

10. I kinda doubt this story, seems no one can verify his truth.. just tryin to justify his wrong doings. Kinda like Michael Bennett’s Las Vegas beat down that never happened.

11. Next thing he knows they won’t be at the stadium or even watching the game and he can’t get paid millions to pout, funny how that’s setting up for his “protest”.

12. niners816 says:
    October 6, 2017 at 3:50 pm
    ———–
    – – –

Are you KIDDING ME????

Of course it was said. Why do you find it so unbelievable?

Just read the comment section on most of the protest/anthem stories on this website. Several posters wish harm upon the players that are protesting. For a NONviolent protest. SMH

13. A couple of things: First, it might behoove these players to realize that kneeling during the national anthem is not a good way to try to call attention to what you perceive to be societal ills. The only thing is portrays about such players is that they are ungrateful for the opportunity to earn a six or seven figure salary for playing a child’s game.

Second, why is this guy acting like a snowflake? There are malcontents everywhere in this day and age, all protected by online anonymity. If you are going to draw attention to yourself you can expect to be verbally hammered by someone. Tim Tebow got more than his share of criticism for expressing his religious beliefs openly, and I don’t remember him calling attention to the insults and threats he received. Either stand up or man up and deal with the criticism and the hate messages. I don’t like the latter anymore than anyone else, but life isn’t fair. Deal with it….like a man.

14. Kinda like Michael Bennett’s Las Vegas beat down that never happened.
    ——
    You found the missing footage? Because from what I’ve seen there still is no video of the crucial time between when he ran and when he was on the ground in cuffs.

15. Shocking, multimillionaires doing dumb things, now getting the kick back for those dumb things. Now they play the victim…

They must’ve missed the “cause and effect” classes I had as a 13 year old. Or logic 101 when common sense smacks you in the face. Stand up you bums!

16. Anyone that wishes CTE on and player is a crap person AND NO FAN OF FOOTBALL OR ANY SPORT.
    This is just wrong and if you are saying he is not saying the truth then you are just as BAD.
    The loins and the NFL don’t need fans like you.

17. I agree, too far. It would be like if players disrespected vets who lost their limbs by protesting against the flag the vets fought under.

18. pkrlvr says:
    October 6, 2017 at 4:14 pm
    Kinda like Michael Bennett’s Las Vegas beat down that never happened.
    ——
    _______________________

Dude, the guy you’re trying to argue with actually agrees with you. Take some time to analyze people’s statements; it will prevent you from countering points that were never made to begin with.

Kinda like the idea that kneeling for the anthem is an attack on the military… that was never the point.

19. Who really knows what to believe anymore. All I know is that as a fan I feel like I am being painted as vile and being a racist by NFL players. The fact is that they need me a lot more than I need them.

20. He can always move to another country, no one is forced to live here.
    —————
    Or you could just watch another sport, but you won’t do that, because just like countless others on here talking about tuning out and boycotting, they’re full of bs. How are the ratings looking for last nights game? Thought so!

21. He obviously already has CTE, or something if he doesn’t understand what he’s doing. Bringing it all on himself. Patriotism is color blind. Public outrage has nothing to do with race.

22. Just to get this straight, in spite of the request of his generous 92 year old owner who has a well known charitable record Reeves-Maybin has elected to kneel during the national anthem because he feels it is important to exercise his freedom of expression over “social inequalities and justices that go on here.” In so doing he is earning the ire of some fans that find that method of expression vile who in turn express themselves in a manner most people would find to be vile. And the irony is somehow lost on him? Welcome to America in 2017 where everyone has somehow earned the right to be offended by everything, even the ‘justices’ they help create.

23. If you don’t like the players having the right to kneel then move out of the country. There are countries where you don’t have those rights. North Korea and Russia will gladly accept you because they have the same beliefs as some of you. I am sure you won’t leave because you enjoy your FREEDOM to do what you feel like doing on a daily basis.

24. I wonder if the nfl is letting this stuff happen because the cba will be expiring soon. The players say there contracts should be closer to the NBA, but they’ll be closer to the NHL when this is all said and done with. Kneeling isnt going to do anything but hurt them in the long run. To bad the player’s dont realize that. I won’t stop watching because of the protest , but i know people who have and i dont blame them. I always turn the game on after the kickoff to miss all the anthem protest because it does get annoying.

25. Which shows more disrespect:
    A), Publicly insulting a former POW who was held and tortured for 5 1/2 years and Would Not accept his own freedom before the freedom of his fellow soldiers, OR
    B), Performing a peaceful protest to draw attention to easily verifiable, rampant and consistent examples of inequality in a country that touts Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness and Freedom and Justice for All, in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave?
    The National Anthem, (to me) brings up images of my father, who served during WWII in North Africa and the Battle of the Bulge–and “came back different”, my uncle, who was captured and shot by the Nazis, (who recovered, but remained in great pain for the rest of his life, some 50 years) and another uncle who was killed in the Solomon Islands of the Pacific Theater–when his destroyer, The Meredith, was sunk by Japanese bombers.
    When my military friends point out that what the protesters do Is What They Fought To Protect, I have to take notice.
    I figure one of the best ways to honor members of our military is to listen to what they have to say.

26. Sounds similar to what many “progressives” are saying about how the folks that were killed and wounded deserved it because they were probably repubs.

27. pkrlvr says:
    October 6, 2017 at 4:14 pm
    Kinda like Michael Bennett’s Las Vegas beat down that never happened.
    ——

—————
    Actually no one, not even Bennett is saying he got a beatdown. Just that they put him on the ground and cuffed him, and were rough about it as they did so. Thats well short of a beatdown. I have gotten a beat down before and trust me the difference is huge. So lets not exaggerate.

As you are acknowledging, he ran. Thats cause to tackle and restrain. Especially in a live shooter situation thats also grounds to be as rough as neccesary to get that done as quickly as possible and not allow this unknown fleeing suspect to do anythimg to anyone. The safety of the public in face of an imminent threat does rate higher than Bennetts feelings if he is going to go forcing a choice like he did.

28. If people truly understood what living with CTE is like, they wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

It doesn’t matter how much you dislike what these players are doing. Shame on whoever’s doing this.

29. thrifty says:
    October 6, 2017 at 4:08 pm
    What, he doesn’t like freedom of speech?
    _________________________________________

Fair point, as long as you don’t mind him using his freedom of speech during the playing of the national anthem. But I suspect you aren’t interested in being consistent.

I don’t like the protests, but it’s harder and harder to oppose the protests when the people protesting are treated in a sub-human manner.

30. Maybe if fans attempted to understand why Millionaires were compelled to protest instead of tossing slurs and angry epithets…wait, maybe that’s why.

Clearly fans care more about “It” than “Them”.

31. I for one feel the Lions should cut strings with him. Maybe not for his stand, but his lack of respect for ownership. She was not buying silence, she is trying to save a business. There are other ways to fix the problem, and division is not one of them

32. Why are these players kneeling? Why do they feel compelled to make this type of statement? Questions that should be asked instead of outright contempt and hate for people who are “out of line”. Reality check: the things you believe aren’t necessarily truth or fact. Get out of your little world, have some empathy and ask some questions while genuinely looking for answers. It’s not hard, but I’m guessing the people that will dislike this statement are still Googling “what does empathy mean?”

33. 2011to2020lions says:
    October 6, 2017 at 5:29 pm

So, he should sell out, compromise his beliefs, take the money and shut up? This is the advice you would give your children, to not rock the boat if you feel you are being wronged? Just clarifying.

34. Personally I’m not bothered by NFL players standing, sitting or kneeling during the National Anthem. Even though I think there are better options for them, as a decorated Vietnam veteran, I feel that I fought for their freedom to express themselves in any way they wish. I believe that their intent is not to disrespect the flag. The one who blew this out of proportion is an idiotic wannabe autocrat. Many feel they should boycott the NFL because trump tells them that they should. trump gets criticized by mainstream and worldwide media for his daily stupidity, he attacks hurricane victims, his staff gets all of them involved in a serious investigation and he then relies on his old standby, distraction. He gets the public to focus their attention on an inconsequential matter all the while ignoring the things that matter most. He insults the American citizenry by assuming their attention span is as short as his notoriously is. thinking that they’re unable to discern the important from the trivial. As a double benefit he leads this insurrection against the NFL in his vindictive attempt to damage their status and negatively impact their revenue. It’s well documented how much trump wanted to own an NFL franchise and the owners rebuffed his overtures. Now he finally has his chance to get even.

But I do however feel that the flag and veterans are being disrespected and dishonored. I feel disrespected and dishonored by trump who dodged the draft, then insulted John McCain, a war hero and who now wraps himself in that American flag while holding a cross in his hands. This guy is nothing but an unqualified, self-serving, opportunistic con artist who ran a game on the American electorate.

35. pkrlvr says:
    October 6, 2017 at 4:14 pm
    Kinda like Michael Bennett’s Las Vegas beat down that never happened.
    ——
    ____________________________

Pretty sure he wasn’t assaulted by police while he was running so you must be referring to the mere seconds between the time he jumped the fence and when the first body cam recorded him already on the ground. If you believe some vicious beat down occured in a matter of seconds and left no injury whatsoever might I add then you’re part of the problem. He lied accept it

36. It has been learned that the NFLPA has given money to George Soros backed groups that are responsible for all the protests and property destruction around the country. At least now we know why the league is letting this continue. They are directly funding the biggest anti American movement that exists.

37. thepopefromtv – are you seriously equating constitutionally protected peaceful demonstration on behalf of others with personally directed blatant hate speech?

Man people are pathetic. That is so weak and arrogant that the words themselves do no justice.

38. Anybody else getting the feeling that this has turned more into a ‘hey look at me’ more than a ‘hey look at this issue”?

39. classiefreddieblassie says:
    October 6, 2017 at 5:56 pm
    2011to2020lions says:
    October 6, 2017 at 5:29 pm

Player: I’m going to protest (something)
    Owner: I understand, I would like to give $ to a charity to help (something)
    Player: No thanks, I’ll just keep protesting.

40. Free Speech applies to all no matter how distasteful it is. Don’t want that then don’t kneel. Everyone is free to say what they want.

41. The problem in the N.F.L. is a lot of the fans look at the players as property instead of human beings. They believe these HUMANS should just shut up and play. While people that come from the same community as they came from are unarmed and killed by police without any repurccusions. That is what started this entire situation.

42. But the 22-year-old linebacker was taken aback by the reaction to his protest of racial inequality.
    ===========================================================

You don’t even know why he was kneeling. They’ve come up with three or four different things now.

43. This is NOT a free speech issue.You have no political free speech in the workplace. If it is okay with the league for him to protest, counter-protests are certainly alright. My form of counter-protest is not watching. They are entertainers. It is a STUPID idea for an entertainer to anger his audience. They are slow, but they will learn when the money supply shrinks. Florio may learn it too.

44. Some jerks hurl insults and wish harm on people. Other jerks disrespect the symbol of this nation and all it stands for…simply because they cannot be bothered to move their protest 30 seconds earlier or 2 minutes later.

45. My favorite thing in the world is that the racist commenters on websites like this think they are the majority. Reality check folks, 1% of the country comments on websites. You are the vast minority.

46. halfcentaur says:
    October 6, 2017 at 6:14 pm

OK, I gotta ask about the name, does that make you a horse’s arse?

47. I have to say that, while I think those fans who said that have crossed the line, I respect his position much less after he refused free charitable donations in the place of making his own political statement.

48. Seems like every time someone gets criticized for doing something douchey, they then say hey I’m really the viticm, a mysterious person said this or that.

49. Would anyone stupid enough to make a threat like that even know what CTE is? This smells just a bit funny to me.

50. What does he expect? A standing ovation for sticking his finger up at our Anthem? Should’ve thought of that dude. He’s not at a church service on Sunday, it’s a football game.

51. tigersfandan says:
    October 6, 2017 at 5:22 pm
    thrifty says:
    October 6, 2017 at 4:08 pm
    What, he doesn’t like freedom of speech?
    _________________________________________

————-
    I don’t support what the vile fans are saying wishing ANY ill will whatsoever on a player, however, I also don’t support the manner by which the players are protesting.

Don’t presume that because I ask a rhetorical question implies that I support a player’s health declining due to CTE. The two issues are not mutually exclusive.

I am merely pointing out the irony.

52. Amazing how many conservatives have time to whine about stuff like this all day and night. They tell other people how to act and to “make a difference” while they spam their politics 24 hours a day and don’t contribute A THING except rhetoric. If you get this upset about a few guys kneeling, I’m pretty sure it’s YOU that is living in the wrong country, not them. Bring the downvotes trolls/bots/russians.

53. I don’t like the fact that blacks commit more crimes than anyone else in this country or that they have a higher percentage of fatherless children than anyone else, or that they kill each other, or that they kill cops every year, too.
    No matter what any of these guys who are protesting say, they are wrong to protest on the job. Freedom of speech or expression does not in any way guarantee them the right to do this.
    If Reeves-Maybin doesn’t like the so-called inequalities and injustices that go on here, tell him to go somewhere else. Take his football and move to Canada, for instance. Or maybe try living in the Middle East or North Korea, for instance.
    I am sick of these guys, most of whom have no idea of what they are talking about. They have no facts to back up what they say. All they are is empty barrels making the most noise.
    As for the fans who are resorting to name calling or saying he should get CTE, that is wrong, too. I do not hate these players who are doing this protesting, I only hate what they are doing. And I say they all need a wake up call to realize just how fortunate they are to be living in this great country. That’s why I’d love to see them go live somewhere else for a while.
    I have a brother who used to travel to many other countries for his job. He did it for many years and he told me after doing it for all those years, when he would get back to this country and was getting off the plane, he wanted to get down like the Pope does to kiss the ground because he was so grateful to be back in the U.S. That’s what these spoiled rotten players don’t understand.

54. senatorblutarsky says:
    October 6, 2017 at 5:57 pm
    ——————————————————————————————-
    You’re confusing the current president with the disastrous presidency of Barry Blobammy !!

55. Why didn’t this come out after the game? He’s just conjuring up something to compare to Cam’s N-word thing, of which there is video proof that it didn’t.

56. Sub-human right wingers. How predictable.

If he did it while holding an arsenal of weapons, they would be so conflicted, their tiny brains would explode……

57. “Next thing he knows they won’t be at the stadium or even watching the game and he can’t get paid millions to pout, funny how that’s setting up for his “protest”.

——————————————————–
    “redclaw1314 says:
    October 6, 2017 at 4:31 pm
    Who really knows what to believe anymore. All I know is that as a fan I feel like I am being painted as vile and being a racist by NFL players. The fact is that they need me a lot more than I need them.”
    ———————————————————————————–

1) These vile hypocritical fans will be watching. They always do. They have nothing better to do. A Fan in Atlanta called the radio station with his redneck rhetoric and got embarrassed. The host said , if you ain’t watching , why are you calling here, giving your opinion on what just happened? He had to School them that the NFL will not be going bankrupt during our lifetime because you have narrow minded pricks that are used to things only their way.
    People no longer will tolerate that.
    2) every week, they call with m “we are not going to the game” . Yet every week the stadium is full. Every week you are calling to complain and comment on the game.

3) Fans are important . But you not using your one or two tickets that you bought for the year will not break their bank. You can’t tell a private owner what type of relationship to have with their players. Just like the people that protest Snyder to change the Redskins name will never make Snyder change the name. He does what he wants.
    4) I have seen several so called protesters against the black players say, ” I am not watching”. Then get into it with their friends because they have decided they want to see one more week and give those players another chance to stand.

You narrow minded so called fans do NOT control people. Particularly with men that have more talent and money than you and are determined to make their point.
    Fans need the players more because FANS are ADDICTED.
    Finally, They won’t be bring down that Ray Lewis Statue either. It has got 24 hour security around it as well.

58. It’s amazing how the right turned anthem kneeling from a demonstration against police brutality into A fictitious hatred of the military. Conservatives don’t even know why they’re mad at these players.

59. I go to the games. I support my team. I drink beer.

Stand, sit, kneel during the anthem if you want. Whatever. It’s a free country.

60. 4 yr – 3 million dollar contract….he’s just cheap labor and when he gets cut it’s not a big cap hit……Hope you saved your money

61. Everyone who’s crucifying these players for taking a knee are idiots! It is my belief that you are the true racists and bigots. If a military man himself suggested that Kap kneel before the flag to show respect while at the same time protesting his cause then who are you to say it’s disrespect. Since when has kneeling been disrespectful? How many of you fat slobs stand in front of your televisions on Sunday while the anthem is playing? None….you’re too busy getting beer and chips and passing judgement.

62. 2011to2020lions says:
    October 6, 2017 at 5:29 pm
    ——————
    Have you ever been to ford Field!? The Lions have been selling out forever. Even when they went 0-16! This season both home games were packed as will the game be tommorow. But you’d know that if you actually spent money on the team. Martha is trying to cater to her season ticket holders, not some fan who spent $40 on a Stafford Jersey at TJ Maxx

63. he has a right to his protest & i & many other Fans have a right to Hate him & wish nothing but pain & misery & hate on the Lions for keeping that worthless SOB

64. clownfoodpoop says:
    October 6, 2017 at 8:59 pm

“social inequalities and justices that go on here.” A hundred bucks says he lives in a white suburban gated community, no the city of Detroit.
    _____________________________________________

I guess some limited intellects don’t comprehend the fact that he can’t spend 24 hours a day for the rest of his days in a gated community. We all eventually go out into the real world. And parts of the world he is subjected to are a lot worse than the ones you face.

65. i wish everyone who hates the NFL for allowing the players to express themselves would also stop coming to this site.

Although it is funny to see people who say they protest with dollars actively doing things to give the NFL money. Just coming to this site helps support the NFL.

66. ucbearcatsland says:
    October 7, 2017 at 12:16 am
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That was uncalled for and completely myopic. Calling everybody you disagree with racists just shows your inability to defend a coherent argument. So what if a military man suggested kneeling? He does not represent me and likely the majority of military members and veterans. I say it is disrespect because that is exactly why Kap did it. He knelt because he would not stand for the flag or its country. The act itself was a purposeful act of disrespect toward the nation BECAUSE of his uninformed belief in systemic and institutional oppression. You, and many other supporters of the kneelers have confused the what with the why and can’t be bothered to actually take a moment to think about it. Most of the people are against the disrespect to the anthem/flag/country/citizens shown by the chosen protest venue/timing. That is not the same as being against treating people the same but that is exactly what you race-baiting opportunists have done from the very beginning. As for your assertion that absolutely nobody stands at home during the anthem…you have no idea and yet you still make the claim, once again announcing your stupidity. Being involved with the military for over 4 decades, first as a family dependent, then as an active duty member (and spouse) and now as a proud retired veteran I can assure you that number is not 0. Military are taught to respect the flag and what it stands for. The anthem plays every day on base and at the beginning of every movie shown at the base theater as well as prior to every official/formal function. Showing respect for the flag is almost instinctive at this point. And yes, I for one stand when the anthem is played. I won’t go seeking it out but when it comes on I will stop what I am doing stand and pay respect to the flag and what it stands for while remembering some of those who can no longer do so.