Radio host loses job for sexist comment about female announcers

ESPN

Cam Newton isn’t the only man in hot water over a sexist comment about women in the NFL media.

Mike Missanelli, a Philadelphia sports radio personality, has lost a side gig on Philadelphia’s ABC affiliate for a sexist comment about Beth Mowins calling play-by-play on Monday Night Football.

“I don’t know why the sporting world needs a female play-by-play person on an NFL game. And I know that sounds harsh, and I just want to know what is the reason for it,” Missanelli said two days after Mowins called a Week One game. “It just to me sounds unnatural for her to be calling the NFL. Now, in college, it sounds sort of unnatural as well. But I can live with college. But this is prime time, Monday Night Football. I didn’t catch a lot of the game. Was she good? If she did a good job, then I’m wrong.”

Missanelli said this week that the Philadelphia ABC affiliate let him go from a weekend job he had on the station because of those comments. He acknowledged that he has no one to blame but himself.

What Missanelli didn’t seem to consider is that ESPN didn’t have a need for a female announcer, but rather had a need for an announcer and considered Mowins the best person for the job. Nearly everyone who has weighed in on Mowins’ work in Week One agrees that she did the job well. She generally got better reviews than her partner in the booth, Rex Ryan, and got much better reviews than sideline reporter Sergio Dipp, who was so bad the first time ESPN went to him that he disappeared from the rest of the broadcast.

And complaining that a woman “sounds unnatural” on a football broadcast is reminiscent of the people who once upon a time openly complained that it seemed “unnatural” for a black man to be a coach or a quarterback. Successful black coaches and successful black quarterbacks have thankfully consigned that way of thinking to the dustbin of history.

Successful female broadcasters like Mowins will do the same to those who think female announcers sound unnatural. But that shouldn’t have to be part of Mowins’ job. Her job should just be to talk about the game, without having an additional burden placed on her by people like Missanelli.

54 responses to “Radio host loses job for sexist comment about female announcers

1. Probably shouldn’t have said it, but I personally like football guys calling the game, so I get where he’s coming from. When I’m watching football I would prefer not to hear a woman talking about it for 3 hours.

2. I know I sound like, and feel like, a complete Neanderthal, but if I had my choice, I would prefer to listen to a guy call the NFL. I listened to Beth call a couple of games and she did a fine job as it were. Calling college games seemed more natural, as silly as that sounds.

There are enough women’s sports that could use female sports announcers, but some sports be it the NFL or UFC just seem more suited to having male announcers. I’m sure someday this will be a non-topic but for now, listening to a woman call NFL seems as easy-listening as hearing a woman call NASCAR races or the Kentucky Derby.

3. Right, because in today’s day and age we have to act like everything is normal. A man should be teaching women how to breast-feed and paint her nails and nobody should think anything of it.

4. She’s fine and belongs. They even had misfits like Dennis Miller on MNFB…he was horrible. Likewise Michael Strahan, on Goodmorning America or 20,000Pyramid gameshow is equally as horrible.

5. I have nothing against Mowins except I just don’t think she’s good. I listen to Mike and Mike but when Greenberg did play by play for a MNF game he was awful as well.
    Also, if you think the black man has succeeded at QB in NFL thus far I have no idea what games you’re watching. Moon and Williams were really good but Newton hasn’t done much with the amount of talent he has.

6. As long as they know what they are talking about, I don’t care who calls games. Ever listen to Clay Travis in the morning? Terrible. Beth Mowins knows football. Washed up lawyer Clay Travis whines all morning long!

7. Well, one thing is for certain: that woman should be forewarned to wear closed toed shoes if she continues to call games with Rex.

8. “if you think the black man has succeeded at QB in NFL thus far I have no idea what games you’re watching”

Believe he meant that they are successful because they’re getting drafted, they’re getting starts and and plenty of opportunities. Are some like Geno Smith and EJ Manual? Sure. But they got paid a lot of millions to blow their opportunity. Just like plenty of white and hispanic QBs blow theirs.

9. Liberalsruineverything says:
    October 7, 2017 at 12:29 pm
    But he has freedom of speech! He has the Constitution! His employer can’t fire him even if reflects poorly on their business!! This is outrageous!!!

—————

Freedom of speech does not guarantee employment. If you say something in the public sphere while representing your employer and what you said goes against your employer’s views, they are within their rights to can you, even though you are within your rights to free speech.

10. So he said this after week 1, almost a month ago, and didn’t fired for it until now? Guess it wasn’t a thing until Cam Newton became the outrage flavor of the week, huh…….what a joke

11. Except Mowins wasn’t and isn’t the best person for the job, as evidenced by her assignments the other 51 weeks of the year.

12. Its weird how when I criticize ESPN for the new direction they are taking and some of their announcer choices my post don’t get approved. I don’t judge her gender, I judge her sound, flow and entertainment/ knowledge ability. She was not good IMO and neither was Rex on the first Monday Night game. I never want to hear another game announced by them again. Romo however is doing good so far.

13. I couldn’t care less about them firing Misanelli, but the hypocrisy of that company is astounding. Decided a while ago that I will never watch ESPN or ABC again, so I have no idea who the announcer is.

14. You can never say what you truly feel, wrong or right, what’s happening to our country? I do not see an issue with women in the booth doing play by play… if they are well trained and went to school to pursue a broadcasting career, its BS is they don’t get a shot in the booth. BUT if somebody doesn’t feel the way I do, they get fired? Liberalism = Communism.

15. therealtrenches says:
    October 7, 2017 at 3:22 pm
    Liberalsruineverything says:
    October 7, 2017 at 12:29 pm

—————

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    True, but I believe that comment was sarcasm directed at the kneeling supporters who used that very argument when people suggested the owners put a stop to it.

16. Using this free speech and comparing it to those who kneeled is apples to oranges for many, many reasons. But anyone who doesn’t get that probably never will. It’s not their fault though, it’s just an IQ thing.

17. Oh I thought she was the only one who was willing to be subjected to Rex Ryan for three hours. That alone should have won her admiration.

18. Brjbrj says:
    October 7, 2017 at 5:57 pm
    —————————
    And yet you can’t name one reason how it’s different. The double standard and hypocrisy of the left is in plain sight and they will continue to lose everything.

19. Maybe if announcers would just stick to announcing, like they did in the old days, then everything wouldn’t be politicized, as seems to be happening today. That said, I don’t think that Missanelli should have been fired for what he said. It was tasteless….yes….but a fireable offense? I don’t think so. People are way too sensitive these days.

20. anyone listen to the game, my dog sounded better than Rex Ryan… so of course she did…nothing against her, but if she was any good she would be on a weekly game on CBS or Fox. So, the only double header ESPN they stick her on with the worst announcer in the world….

21. What he said was probably what 90% of people agree with. He wasn’t harsh and admitted if they were good he’d admit he was wrong. Newton literally belittles a woman, laughs at her face, wears a feminist pin, and the media plays it as Cam’s all good now, just tell us so.

22. I watch a lot of College football because I love college football. The first time I heard Beth Mowins I didn’t mind at all and I thought she was pretty decent. But this Mike Missanelli is right-women have their place and yes I am a chauvinist and not a politically correct person-but I don’t care either……….

23. Liberalsruineverything says:
    October 7, 2017 at 6:32 pm
    Brjbrj says:
    October 7, 2017 at 5:57 pm
    —————————
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Can’t blame them for not recognizing their hypocrisy…it’s just an IQ thing 😉

24. Relax fanboys. This guys career was circling the drain. He knew the consequences of his statements. It was last one hail mary to keep his name in the lights and hopefully be offered a new gig. Epic fail.

25. Brjbrj says:
    October 7, 2017 at 5:57 pm
    __________________________

It’s not an IQ thing. They don’t get it because they don’t want to. You can’t teach someone that isn’t listening.

26. I defend women when it comes to equal pay and opportunities in all endeavors. I have a 13 year old granddaughter whom I love more than myself and I want her to have the same opportunities as anyone when she grows up.
    That said, I must admit, I would rather have a man doing the announcing or color commentary on football broadcasts than a woman.
    Now before I’m accused of being some kind of anti-feminist, there are other places where I’d much rather have a woman be the commentator than a man. For example, when I watch ladies gymnastics or ladies swimming events in the Olympics, I much prefer hearing a woman describe the action than a man. Same thing for the ladies figure skating events. If I’m watching the same events with men competing, I’d prefer to have a man be the commentator.
    It has nothing to do with any bias I have, it has everything with me being accustomed to one way of hearing things for the last 50+ years.

27. Maybe that’s a way for Simms to get back in the booth -Felicia Simms . ESPN would jump at the chance to have a transgender on the air. Talk about courage.

28. ABC is sexist and violating Mike Missanelli’s civil rights. If any protected group cannot stand the heat, they should get out of the kitchen. The ABC firing Missanelli for saying nothing sexist is in itself sexist. They should be liable for millions. Don’t listen to or watch ABC.

29. I am not a sexist. I would have no problem with beautiful women calling games, especially with a British accent. That would be perfect.

30. I actually thought she was good. I know it drives people nuts, even women, when every network has a female sideline reporter. It just looks forced. But this woman on Monday Night was there because she’s good. I liked her. I’m pretty old school too. If someone is good, I’m not going to have a problem with them.

31. Bottom line : Men really don’t want a women to assert her views on a sport 99.9% of women can’t/haven’t played nor understand the dynamics of male locker rooms… It is the same as other industries, I.e. “fashion” make it a sin and blackballed to be a straight male , and would never let one mc an event – Ask Mr.Hilfiger .

32. Reminds me of a story. 3 people walk into a play by play announcer’s booth. One female, one transgender, and one a Dr. Suess character.

33. FinFan68 says:
    October 7, 2017 at 5:33 pm
    therealtrenches says:
    October 7, 2017 at 3:22 pm
    Liberalsruineverything says:
    October 7, 2017 at 12:29 pm

—————

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

—————–

Yeah, I know. And what I said goes for the kneelers, too, even though I agree with their viewpoint. No owner is obligated to hire Kaepernick, or hang on to a player if he doesn’t like that he kneeled or sat during the national anthem. And equating kneeling during the National Anthem with what Missanelli said is not a false equivalency. They’re both expressions of points of view.

34. Maybe most of us disagree, but what he said was hardly sexist. Can’t speak to his mindset other than that, but it seems like disagreement is a crime just as much as disrespect is these days…