President: I asked V.P. to leave if players kneeled

Getty Images

The White House tag team officially has begun.

President Donald Trump, roughly an hour after Vice President Mike Pence tweeted that he left the 49ers-Colts game due to kneeling from players during the national anthem, claims that the Vice President left at the direction of his boss.

“I asked [Vice President] Pence to leave stadium if any players kneeled, disrespecting our country,” President Trump tweeted. “I am proud of him and [his wife] Karen.”

It shouldn’t have been a surprise to anyone that there was kneeling at the game, especially since the 49ers are one of the two teams playing at Lucas Oil Stadium. Roughly half the team took a knee last week; 23 of them did today. And if there was any doubt regarding whether any 49ers players would kneel in Indy, a phone call or two prior to the game would have resolved it.

91 responses to “President: I asked V.P. to leave if players kneeled

1. Let me make this very clear. You cannot legislate or demand nationalism. This has been done in the past with horrific results. You are asking for the 2nd rise of Nazism. It is better to discuss and debate than mandate.

But this doesn’t surprise me coming from you Mr. Trump. This is exactly what you want.

2. Of course. The spineless Pence would never do anything on his own – except refuse to be alone with a female that is not his wife. In 2017! The guy is living in the lily white Puritan era.

3. We’ve all seen what happens when the president doesn’t get his way. I don’t know how they didn’t anticipate the team with the most players kneeling last week wouldn’t kneel this week? Honestly it seemed like they did this as a publicity stunt.

4. So either the whole thing was planned or our ability to gather intelligence needs a lot of work.

—————————-

My first thought was that it was planned but there’s also a strong argument with intelligence.

5. Hold your nose and go in social commentary sewer with POTUS if you dare. This is grandstanding by a bumbling, stumbling administration.

6. You left out the part where the VP said he was there to honor Payton Manning. Wasn’t Pence doing exactly what the players are doing? Their right to protest?

7. Every time the Tweeter in Chief can’t control all aspects of everything, the 71-year-old throws a hissy fit like a child. And that always works out well for him. It sure did last time after he called them SOBs who should be fired, none of whom have been fired.

8. This country is the greatest and most fair country in history. There are countless minorities who started poor and became successful and I am excluding these athletes. The laws to protect against discrimination have been on the books for over 50 years and regularly enforced when necessary.

The only people who are being divisive in this country are the selfish, the lazy, and people who use identity politics. At no time in history has the fate of the common person been uplifted as much as it is in America today. You want more? WORK FOR IT.

9. By far, the worst president (thus far), in first year of four year term, of any other president in modern history. The man is an absolute disgrace and, evidently, is also very bad at the job he has been elected to do.

10. Trump cannot govern his way out of a wet paper bag, and his legitimacy as POTUS will soon be utterly discredited- to the extent it isn’t already- by Mueller.

This is just Trump creating distractions. Like he’s a patriotic American. Puh-leeze.

11. grandsonofcoach says:
    October 8, 2017 at 2:31 pm

—————
    Huh? Calling that Nazism or even a step toward it is ridiculous. Exactly whos rights got denied? Anyones?

12. Q: Why did Trump and Conservatives turn a protest against racial injustice into a protest against the flag and the anthem?
    A: Because the first is indefensible, so they changed the conversation, like they always do.

13. Wait till the games are over and the real fans dial in, then these liberal comments will switch over to the majority who are against these bums

November 12th boycott day. I’m a veteran and 20 year season ticket holder, I don’t want this crap in front of my face when I spend nearly 1k/game to watch. I have 4 tickets for the sniper fire that questions the cost.

Send a message to these clowns. Time to start calling out national sponsors of the NFL and boycott them. We also need a platform for the fan, not just the players & owners.

Keep it up losers and you will destroy the greatest gift you ever could have imagined

14. vavikingfan says:
    October 8, 2017 at 2:40 pm
    An expensive meaningless gesture.

—————
    It sounds to me like this is just a case of two protests at the same game which means they were on equal footing as far as how meaningful.

15. So the tax payers paid for all that extra security and the NFL still made money on those tickets. So who exactly is winning on this?

16. Trump plans his day:

Discuss successful Obamacare repeal? Darn!
    Discuss Mexico agreeing to pay for wall? No,can’t do that.
    Display phony patriotism to distract from above failures and hope people forget that I dodged the draft? Yes! Someone get Pence on the line!

17. Cynical manipulation of the situation by the men ostensibly running our country. As well as a resumption of the whole thing. Maybe this was the storm Trump was referring to? (We can hope so.)

18. smithdp says:
    October 8, 2017 at 2:38 pm

You forgot “gold star family bashing”…..

19. Hey if a bunch of us kneel in front of a golf course or the Chump Tower, will Trump finally go away?

Oh, to the guy calling for a boycott. Please do. Everyone is waiting for you losers to go away. You flag wavers are literally the ones showing up at games blind drunk, harassing families and swearing at kids in opposing jerseys, fighting people in the concourse, etc. But you cried and sang along during the anthem, so that must mean you love your country right? Whatever. Live games would be VASTLY better without these people there. Please follow through on your boycott threat. I will finally be able to take my child to games again without worrying about the drunk yahoos in their flag pants.

20. Anybody with half a brain knows that was staged 2 rally 45’s ignorant base.hahahaha. Go watch NASCAR Pence! Oh wait, he is watching football on a jet somewhere.

21. Gripless- Wait!!! I thought ppl like you were done with football forever yet here you are watching football and going on football websites.hahah. Poker is on TV i think 4 ppl like you.

22. I graduated from the same high school as Mike Pence. I’d like to apologize to the country on behalf of our hometown of Columbus and the entire state of Indiana. This man does not represent the great, hardworking, welcoming people of the Hoosier state. He has always used his faith to take advantage of amazing families in the midwest who, unfortunately, aren’t well educated. There are literally thousands of incredible people from Indiana and it makes me sad that we have this man representing us to the rest of the world.

23. “I asked [Vice President] Pence to leave stadium if any players kneeled, disrespecting our country,” President Trump tweeted. “I am proud of him and [his wife] Karen.”
    __________________________________

I wonder if anyone is proud of trump wrapping himself in the flag after he so cowardly dodged the draft allowing someone else to serve in his place. Despicable.

24. The NBA and MLB are now more popular than the NFL. Positive ratings sank from 57 percent to 44 percent in one month. Leftists destroy everything they touch.

25. firerogergoodell says:

=========================================================

You only have to apoligize to the minority who agree with you.

26. getyourownname says:
    October 8, 2017 at 1:37 pm
    Two things:

1) This action might actually encourage more players to kneel, seeing the results they get.

2) Odds are Pence was told by Trump he had to make a scene or Trump would declare him disloyal. That’s how he rolls.

——-
    That’s from a previous articleabout the VP leaving. Very nice call man. Not particularly difficult since Pence is the official Trump brown noser but nice call none the less.

27. It is kind of telling that the NFL’s approval numbers are lower than the current leader of America. I guess more than a few more people than Pence are walking out on the sport.

28. Panoranic, let me clarify. Trump has asked that protesting players be fired unless they stand. That is in direct violation of their rights, AND a sitting President trying to MANDATE nationalism. Draw your own comparisons. But they are there.

BTW I’d prefer they stand. But I respect their right not to.

29. Any regular visitor to the PFT comments section on the Pledge issue would note that comments have gone from 90% anti-players to 75% pro-players and anti-Trump the last two weeks. There’s been no polled national seismic shift nationally to reflect this. So what gives, PFT?

30. “When did our draft dodging, POW trashing President become so doggone patriotic? It’s a mystery.”

Well, this is the same guy who criticized an actual serviceman who was captured, tortured, heroically and at great personal physical expense supported other POWs, when he was seeking a political niche to leverage off. So it’s not really a mystery.

The real mystery is why the allegedly patriotic Trump cultists (excuse me, supporters) who have never actually read the Constitution piously invoke patriotism and “strict reading” of the Constitution. Talk about low information voters.

31. Watching the liberal snowflakes melt over Trump/Pence and there NFL anthem protest stance is the highlight of the autumn. Pretty simple playbook to be a democrat these days. Whine about the 1st amendment and criticize the 2nd amendment.

32. Panoramic Wifi says:
    October 8, 2017 at 2:50 pm

grandsonofcoach says:
    October 8, 2017 at 2:31 pm

—————
    __________________________________________

It’s the continuous attempts at discrediting legitimate news sources as well as his infantile, feeble attempts at silencing free speech. trump is a dangerous Putin puppet.

33. Can this administration get any more pathetic? This is right up there with King Donald surrounding himself with his cabinet on live TV while each one of them sang his praises. It looked like a North Korean event.

34. gripless says:

October 8, 2017 at 2:53 pm

___________________________

I’m a decorated Vietnam veteran and totally disagree with you. Putin knew trump would sow dissent and chaos in our country and that’s why Russia helped the unqualified, inexperienced candidate to win. I can’t believe that you’ve bought into the orange con artist’s TV persona.

35. Trump reminds me of this little kid in my neighborhood growing up. Whenever he was losing, which was most of the time, he’d want to take his ball and go home.

36. If our goofy President and Vice President are unhappy about something that means people are doing something right .. step up the protests!

37. Anything to call attention away from Bob Corker’s calling the White House “an adult day care,” eh guys?

38. notlistinin says:
    October 8, 2017 at 2:43 pm

“At no time in history has the fate of the common person been uplifted as much as it is in America today.’
    ——————————————————-

Huh?

I’m pretty sure the “fate of the common person” was a lot more “uplifted when they passed the Social Security Act.

Or when a Federal Income Tax was put into place.
    or when Monopoly laws were written and enforced.
    or when Trade Unions represented the “common person” to get a 40 hour work week, livable wages and end of near white slavery in company run coal towns.

I don’t see how any of this mess has helped Trump or his constituents in any way.

39. mybrunoblog says:

October 8, 2017 at 3:36 pm

____________________________

Oh boy. Somebody else who doesn’t know the historical meaning of “snowflake”.

40. One more time extreme righties, these protests have nothing to do with veterans, the flag or whatever your people are telling you it’s about. First off, get educated and turn on your brain. Second…see that your chosen politicos do not care about you if you’re dumb enough to vote for them but can’t afford to give them your money.

41. And your own appointee, Rex Tillerson, called you a moron because you keep on interfering with international negotiations with childish behavior. That’s also why Sen. Bob Corker called the White House an adult day care today, prompting more lies from Trump to decrease his odds of getting any legislation done even more..

Gee, can anyone figure out why our Chump in Chief doesn’t want to talk about politics right now?

42. Wait till the games are over and the real fans dial in, then these liberal comments will switch over to the majority who are against these bums

————–

You mean wait until it is daytime Monday morning and Russia and all the troll Farms can start chiming in?

Get out of here with that nonsense. There are a lot more NFL true fans than the people actually at the games and we are posting here right now thanks. I am watching three different games as I type this(lol the cards look so bad).

I’m waiting for the mods management of this website to realize what’s happening to their comment sections and lock it down a little bit.

I’m a big fan of free speech but anonymous free speech on the internet isn’t real enough for me. Too much fake too much lie. Too many kids spouting what they think they heard their dad say but don’t understand at all what they’re actually saying.

Too little consequence.

43. Biff Hammer says:
    October 8, 2017 at 3:35 pm
    =========================================================

No they haven’t. Leftists post more during the day and conservatives, the majority, post more at night. The vast majority of PFT readers have always been against protesting the national anthem.

44. On the way to breakfast this morning, stopped by to see a friend who owns a small bar that caters to sports fans. 3 people in the bar. He said business has been terrible on Sundays since the protests ramped up again this year, especially after week one. This is the message he got from his regulars. I feel bad for the guy, it’s a small business that depends on a good Sunday crowd, especially to pay for all the Sunday ticket packages he owns for all his Tv’s, as he mentioned. Folks, it’s real. Feel however you want.

45. Trump has to use this to make his base feel like he accomplished something as president because he can’t pass any legislation. Out country is run by a tv star that doesn’t think he’s living real life. The guy is a joke and anyone that supports him is a joke. It’s not a matter of him being a Republican. There are competent republicans. Trump is just a tool.

46. Bye Felicia…get your political grandstanding out of my football I hear NASCAR needs viewers

47. Did I miss something? Does the constitution have an amendment stipulating that someone us required to listen to anyone exercising the first amendment? I mean, the leftists have bern talking all along how no one should be required to stand and honor something they did not want to. So as far as I can tell Pence simply followed the same rules the leftists have been touting yet suddenly thats not ok to do and we have a left wing hissy fit coing on. Does anyone else see the oozing hypocrisy all up and down these comments?

48. Anyone in favor of kneeling should be in favor of this….it’s called “protesting a protest”

49. @liberalsruineverything: Drumph won’t even get the Republican nomination for the presidency in 2020.

Watch the show and don’t forget to breathe.

Much like everything else associated with this debacle of a presidency, it will be unprecedented.

Carry on.

50. To those that say the players staged this, too? Duh, they’ve been doing this for quite some time. We have an administration that will do anything to divert attention from their faults and problems. This was staged and ended up costing tax payers millions. Who is “patriotic” now?