President praises Jerry Jones for his threat to bench players who don’t stand

Getty Images

Last year, an item of fake news (the real kind) emerged regarding the anthem controversy, claiming that specific owners had told told players “this is MY stage” and instructing them to stand for the anthem. One of the owners to whom the fake news was attributed was Cowboys owner Jerry Jones. This year, Jones has become the first owner to actually send that message, explaining it to reporters on Sunday night and repeating the same message to ESPN tonight, which of course prompted ESPN to act like Jones was telling ESPN something new.

Here’s something that’s actually new. President Trump has praised Jones for his sudden hard-line stance on standing for the anthem: “A big salute to Jerry Jones, owner of the Dallas Cowboys, who will BENCH players who disrespect our Flag. ‘Stand for Anthem or sit for game!'”

The NFL, which according to the NFLPA has told players that they will have the right to sit or kneel during the anthem, has yet to address the comments from Jones. The league likely will do so during the next media briefing from spokesman Joe Lockhart, an event that could happen as soon as Tuesday.

During that next media briefing, Lockhart surely will be asked to respond to the latest tweet from President Trump, the new position from Jones that players must stand, and the decision of Vice President Mike Pence to leave the 49ers-Colts game after 23 members of the 49ers roster took a knee during the anthem. (On Sunday, Lockhart told PFT via email that the league had no comment regarding Pence’s early exit from the 49ers-Colts game in Indianapolis.)

Jones seems to believe that NFL rules justify taking the position that players must stand, even though the relevant rule says “should” not “must.” If Jones intends to enforce the rule that way (and if the NFL lets him do it), it could spark a legal battle between management and labor aimed at interpreting the language of the provision.

85 responses to “President praises Jerry Jones for his threat to bench players who don’t stand

1. Bet he swallows his tongue if Dak or Zeke kneel. I guess he draws the line at peaceful protest… beat a women, deal drugs, get arrested numerous times… he’s cool with all that.

2. Why didn’t JJ take this stance weeks ago? His account just notified him how much money he’s losing, so now it’s a JJ priority. The players won’t realize that the cap won’t go up for another few months… it’ll be funny to see their faces, then.

3. Jerry doesn’t bench women beaters, substance abusers, and the NFL’s worst but he is willing to threaten the livelihoods of principled young men to curry favor with a guy who refused military servive five times based on fake medical conditions.

4. There will be no legal battle. Jones will simply set some team rules, much like teams that say you must wear a coat and tie to away games, and if a team member violates the rules, they’re gone. That simple.
    The player’s association won’t win this one. No dice.

5. Jerry Jones is a master promoter. He knows that this “controversy” is generating tons of free publicity for the NFL in new areas. He also knows that new viewers from those areas will far outnumber the extreme few who actually quit watching because of the kneeling.

Jones is playing Trump and the people who are so bent out of shape over the protests. He’s good.

6. The only thing that runs thru Jerry’s mind is money. My guess ……., he heard from sponsors, ie Pepsi, etc, and this mess threatened to alienate them via customer boycotts. The players are not smart enough to understand the value of sponsors however millionaires/billionaires did not get that way by being stupid as to where the money comes from.

7. @variant

8. variant703 says:
    October 9, 2017 at 10:47 pm
    Wouldn’t this be a literal example of bringing politics in your sports?
    ———————-
    Nope but nice try…setting company policy is not politics, a democracy, a republic it’s a dictotors managed within labor laws set forth by the state and union (when applicable)

If my boss tells me I have to be at work by 7am…guess what I have to be at work by 7 or I might lose my job.

9. Lol would be fascinating to watch an all white version of this Cowboys roster try to make the playoffs…

10. Lolz I’d like to see the entire Cowboys team kneel just to see if Jerrah will follow through with his threat and forfeit the game

11. Jerriah is just mad because his team just lost at home, again, to the same team that handed him is arse last year. It just doesn’t matter how much he pays the officials, his team is just not on the same level. Having said that, the Cowboys are in the best position to really get the point across for this protest/movement. It might be what’s necessary to move forward with it. I just want to see him flip out when his own team disowns him.

12. I can’t even say I’m boycotting any more. I just don’t care about the garbage going on. Isn’t this point, “boycotting” the NFL is the equivalent of “boycotting” my grandmothers favorite sweater knitting program. Just lost interest, completely

13. cabosan1978 says:
    October 9, 2017 at 11:06 pm

As does the vast majority of the country. Job well done Pres. This is why you won the election.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So does 38% mean “vast majority” these days? Guess you did not do too well with math in school.

The goof is president but he did not even get the most votes.

14. When a player is hurt multiple of people on both sides kneel. Our country is hurting. So yes many people will kneel.

15. @gtodriver @Peoples Republic of PFT

Actually, you both are missing the bigger point. The act of having the Anthem IS a political act.

You’re upset cause players are politicizing a POLITICAL act. How do you not see the irony?

16. JJ and Trump are in this together. Jones makes his players stand to side with Trump and make the rest of the teams look bad, Trump sends word to the judge presiding in Elliots case to delay or rule in their favor. It’s all a big conspiracy.

17. “As a Giants fan I hope they cancel the season. At this point I wouldnt care.”

If I were a Giants fan, I’d hope they cancelled the season too, but not because of the anthem protest. 😉

18. I imagine that he will still have to pay the player. Wonder if he would bench Dak for kneeling–then we would see how committed jones really is. Alas, most of the players have no clue how to stand together as as evident by their weak union.

19. Lol both sides keep digging in..

Owners and NFL made the last move by having owners “make” players stand.

The players can answer with the ultimate winning move by not going on the field.

But that would never happen..players like Dez Bryant have already stated the color Green means mores to him then his own color.

20. No sponsors have threatened Jones, any other owner, or the NFL. Sponsors don’t care about this nonsense. There are no boycotts, and their is no organization to push any boycott. Any of these other alleged boycotts (Kelloggs, etc.) are fake news. They don’t exist in any meaningful manner.

21. gtodriver says:

It is actually taking politics out of the game by eliminating the the ill conceived, improperly timed and just plain wrong protests of some of the players.——————-

what’s “just plain wrong” with the protest? hum? I served 26 years kn the Army and I back these young men 100%. unfortunately the elderly white males like Rump, pence, and Jones haven’t got a clue. to them it’s about the flag, the military, the anthem, etc. that couldn’t be further from the truth but then like the little stunt pence pulled yesterday, which cost you and me a lot of our tax dollars, this whole misguided response from these three buffoons is strictly meant to keep Rumpie’s base secure. the Coward-in-Chief called out Bob Corker for being “gutless” yet the only one here who is gutless is Mr Rump. he didn’t have the guts to serve when his country called. anyone listening to him needs the same professional help he does.

22. Jones knows which side his bread is buttered. Piss Trump off and he won’t pass those big tax breaks for the super rich that all of poor rural America support so strongly.

23. cardinealsfan20 says:
    October 9, 2017 at 11:36 pm
    ————

Don’t forget the LOLBudweiser threat to dump the NFL. They’re not even an American company and they’re playing your rubes for suckers.

24. Jones, like Trump, is a lying media tramp. There’s no way Jones wooden bench Prescott or Elliott if they took a knee.

25. I applaud Jerry for being smart and realizing this is more about the players giving the middle finger to Trump than police brutality. He has been bombarded with emails and calls and has lost money so players can protest something in a way that has drawn loads of negative reactions. These players can do more for their cause by donating their time and money to bring the police officers and black community together. Instead they do something decisive on tv and alienate fans who would have otherwise been on their side. The sad part is I bet very few if any of these cowboys have given time and money to this cause. The NFL is a business and purposefully angering a large portion of your customers is a bad business decision. Again this is why Leo will never be in the NFL again. He has cost them millions and the only conversation he started was about how these players are disrespecting the flag. The message is lost.

26. The memo to the team was this;

Effective immediately….all players of the Dallas Cowboys will stand and face the flag for the national anthem for every game without displays of protest in any form
    Any player that does not follow the Policy of the Dallas Cowboys in this regard will be benched and they will forfeit that game check and any other game check that follows for repeated violations of team policy
    The game check will be donated to the charity of the players choice by the Dallas Cowboys for each infraction.
    Continued Violation of team policy will be cause to suspend and or terminate said player from the Dallas Cowboys and any and all bonus money etc shall be returned to the Dallas Cowboys

If Jerry did this to prove a point….how many players would be taking a knee?

27. Sure glad the president has his priorities in order. Kneeling pro football players who are breaking no law are far more important than say hurricane victims or North Korea. What a leader! His minions are so proud.

28. imwhitewolf

First let me thank you for your service.

But in my experience, your position is highly unusual for someone that has served his/her country.

I’m a 6 year Viet Nam ere vet that served the majority of my time overseas.

I’ve lived in MN, MO, MA, CA,TX, VA and WI in addition to my time overseas.

I have worked in outside sales and sales management in the my civilian employment.

My ability to understand my customers is critical to job.

The vast majority of the country is opposed to how, when and where the players have chosen to protest.

I served to protect their right to protest and agree they do have the right.

That said, they don’t have the right to protest in method they have chosen.

That is all.

29. Peoples Republic of PFT says:
    October 9, 2017 at 11:02 pm
    variant703 says:
    October 9, 2017 at 10:47 pm
    Wouldn’t this be a literal example of bringing politics in your sports?
    ———————-

___________________________________

In this case it’s the POTUS setting your company’s policy (via twitter). That’s political.

30. I like watching football. Truthfully and honestly ask yourself this question. Why is there military and politics in sports? I really enjoyed and appreciated Pat Tillman when he was playing pro football. Awesome human being! !!

31. Jerry Jones might not be all that good at assembling championship football teams but he’s a smart business man. When faced with the choice of respecting the anthem or the flag or disrespecting the flag and the anthem, he sides with respecting it. It’s an easy call for anyone that understands that is the only relevant issue to the vast majority of his potential consumers.

Those that delude themselves into thinking this issue is about “free speech” or “raising awareness” or whatever else are allowing themselves to be painted into a corner where they are taking a stand against the flag and the anthem. Which is not a place you want to be when you’re running a business that depends on a massive fan base forking over lots of cash for tickets and officially licenses merchandise.

32. I don’t like watching cows get slaughtered, so I wait for the steaks to be cut.

If you don’t like the anthem fiasco, don’t watch until 1:01pm eastern.

Move on already.

33. Hey JJ, do you acknowledge that John McCain is an American hero? Do you acknowledge that players on yours and other NFL teams have relatives who have served, are serving or lost their lives in service to America? What about those who have lost loved ones to the bigotry and hate that is at the center of the protest?

If so, then maybe you should start a dialogue instead alienating your team and its fans.

34. The players aren’t being decisive. They a sticking together because some of their brothers were attacked by Trump. Guys that weren’t joining in on the protest over police shootings came together to stand against Donald Trump. They’re sticking together because they can see what he’s trying to do…to shore up his base as his approval continues to drop, to distract from his failures on Puerto Rico and North Korea, to distract from all his broken promises, like healthcare, the wall, China, economic growth, fair taxes, scandals related to Russia, a White House that is dysfunctional, etc, etc, ad nauseum….

35. Agree or disagree about standing or kneeling, raising first fine. But riding a exercise bike during anthem is beyond discussion.

36. President Trump dodged the draft five times when he had the chance to serve in our military during Viet Nam. He later went on to mock John McCain who did serve and our other POWs for being “captured”. But now he has found “patriotism” and “respect” for the flag? Riiight. Let’s not forget that Jones has donated large sums of money to Trump.

37. At my job I can’t curse/swear. I can’t wear clothing that has tobacco or alcohol products on them. I must be “dressed professionally.” I can’t work without updated criminal record clearances. Oh, and yeah, I can’t kneel for the pledge or national anthem. If I violated any of the above I would be fired. I understand why, the company wants to maintain a certain image. It’s their choice to do so. I could disagree and do the above items…I would just need to seek employment elsewhere. All of this is common sense, though. I don’t get why the NFL is making a bruhaahaa out of it.

38. Why is it that if someone enforces their right as a business owner to act in the best interest of their company, it is deemed racist…just because black people are employed on that team.

Under that thought process, any company that employs a black person and subjects them to the same conditions as everyone else is racist.

That is ridiculous. People should be judged by who they are and what they do, not color. These protests no matter the reason have tweeked many of us off. If players think this is unifying…God Bless

Football and sports has changed forever and not for the better!

39. No sponsors have threatened Jones, any other owner, or the NFL. Sponsors don’t care about this nonsense. There are no boycotts, and their is no organization to push any boycott. Any of these other alleged boycotts (Kelloggs, etc.) are fake news. They don’t exist in any meaningful manner.
    ————

___________________

There were no Budweiser, Coors, Pepsi, nor Coke ads on the Cowboys/Packers game this week. I wonder why. Maybe there are not threats, but, actions on the part of sponsors of the NFL.

40. Suddenly I have a new found respect for Jerry Jones. He has the guts to stand up to these misguided and sometimes even racist players.
    Jones is the boss and he has the right to tell his employees they cannot engage in political demonstrations while they’re on the clock.

41. $125 tickets, $60 parking, $11 beers, $8 hot dogs, $5 tap water
    3.5 hour games, 100 commercials, 7 minutes of sport
    Sunday morning, Sunday afternoon, Sunday night, Monday night, Thursday night
    Pre games, post games, 6 man expert desks
    And now…..morality lessons
    This league has jumped the shark

42. This is America.

Amendment I. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

if you’re so hot on protecting your 2nd amendment rights, better be prepared to support them all.

43. As a foreigner, I simply do not get this.

Kneeling for the anthem is not an affront to the flag but is actually something I thought America stood for – free speech and freedom to protest. I might not agree with the protest but I agree with the players right to make it.

And what is quite admirable for these young men is they are not protesting because of their own circumstances – but because there is a wider issue – and they are speaking for people who do not have a voice –

What Donald Trump is trying to do is silence that voice – silence a voice that he does not agree with – and that in itself is very disturbing – But that is not the action of someone in the office of the self-proclaimed leader of the free world – that’s the actions of a tyrant…. is that respectful of the flag ?

Now with Jerry Jones wading in – it is kind of – in my mind challenging the players; the NFLPA to make a stand – Sure Jerry CAN bench one or two players if they kneel – But what if all the players as one kneel ? If nothing happens before i would be interested to see what MIGHT happen at the chargers game – on thanks giving … hmm

44. No one knows but I am willing to bet that Jerry Jones and other owners have talked to their players privately and has told them the truth. Their peaceful protests have been hijacked and the true reasons for their protests have been lost and buried. That the time has come to stand for the anthem and continue to send their message on the off season when they have the time to organize and truly turn the protests into progress. I have every confidence in them. And I fully expect they will have their owners backing their progress.

45. They want players to stand, OK that’s don’t kneel then stand and turn your back on the flag, which is way more disrespectful than kneeling…there are other ways of protesting while abiding to the rules

46. Since 2000, the Cowboys have accounted for a total of 15 criminal arrests — which includes the 2017 incidents of cornerback Nolan Carroll (DWI) and linebacker Damien Wilson (assault with a deadly weapon). It does not, however, include the arrest on former LB Rolando McClain (drug, firearm), as he was no longer on the Cowboys’ roster at the time.
    They played !

47. I imagine that he will still have to pay the player.
    —-
    That’s correct for any player on a week 1 NFL roster. Cannot even try to void pay unless there’s a clear contractual violation.

48. Naturally, a Narcissist is going to praise others who praise him/her — that is a no-brainer, d-u-h lol