Ben Roethlisberger: I haven’t lost confidence in myself

AP

After throwing five interceptions in last Sunday’s loss to the Jaguars, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said “maybe I don’t have it anymore” when discussing his performance.

Roethlisberger’s pity party came to an end at some point between Sunday afternoon and his weekly appearance on “Cook and Poni” on 93.7 The Fan on Tuesday morning. Roethlisberger said “not at all” when he was asked about that comment and whether he’s lost confidence in himself.

“Bad day at the office. You get frustrated, you feel like you let your teammates down,” Roethlisberger said.

Roethlisberger said he found that it’s “not the worst game I’ve ever played” when watching the game on film and that he still feels like he’s “one of the best in the world” at playing quarterback.

“I’m a gunfighter. I got in a gunfight and I lost,” Roethlisberger said.

Roethlisberger was also asked if his heart is still in the game after talking about retirement this offseason. He said it’s fair for people to ask the question, but that he is “100 percent” into the game and cited how upset he was about his performance against Jacksonville as evidence for how invested he is in the team.

60 responses to “Ben Roethlisberger: I haven’t lost confidence in myself

1. Everyone has a bad day now and then. That said, it seems Ben’s best is not ahead of him. When you are competitive these losses don’t sit well.

Perhaps if his highly paid, high opinion of themselves teammates would focus on football and stay off social media they might have better luck.

2. Karma knows no bounds. Call out your teammates in the media and end up putting together a stinker on Sunday. Mind you Antonio Brown, “the diva,” caught 10 passes for 157 yards. Again who is the real problem?

3. It’s about that point in the season where he’s going to fake an injury just so he can “play through it” and remind fans that he’s super tough…

4. We all get frustrated. We all run into the wall now and again. It doesn’t define us. What defines us is how we react to adversity. I look for Ben to strap it on and come out swinging as the season continues. Will he win the rest of the games? Probably not, but I’d bet on him winning most of them.

5. “I’m a gunfighter. I got in a gunfight and I lost”

Why was he in a gunfight instead of a slug fest the first place?
    I’m not a Pittsburgh fan but Tomlin and Haley have some answering to do for that game plan. Inexplicably bad games just happen sometimes, good players just put them behind them and move on. Roethlisberger had a similarly bad game against Buffalo last year but it was a W in the middle of a 6 game win streak.

6. Seems like every time the Steelers get embarrassed, they play the Chiefs the following week and get well.

7. Ben needs to stop talking and go out and lead his team to a big road win over KC. That will silence the talk.

8. The Steelers will not sniff another Super Bowl until both Big Ben and Tomlin are long gone. And I don’t call getting crushed by the Patriots and losing by 40 points in last year’s AFCCG “sniffing.” Especially when they could not even score one single touchdown against the Chiefs the week before beating them 18-16. Bell runs wild for 170 yards and Big Dummy can’t even come up with 1 touchdown. Big Dummy even checked off a run play on 1st and goal at the Chiefs 5 just so he could throw an interception.

Against ANY team that can score 20 points it is a sure fire, slam dunk, 30 point loss for the Steelers. That’s just how good Big Ben is …. and Tomlin truly is just a cheerleader.

9. His coaching staff let him and the team down. Game plan was to throw against # 2 pass defense & 31 rush defense with a solid offensive line and a back like Bell. The coaching staff lost that game hands downs. Tomlin always has a better plan going into his press conference then he does for most games.

10. Good player, but wildly overrated because he played in Pittsburgh. Philly Rivers has had a comparable career, but just not as good of an organization as what Ben had.

11. steelerdeathstar says:
    October 10, 2017 at 11:34 am

—————————————————————————————-
    That’s true. But if he lays another egg the post game interviews will be a hoot.

12. After every INT he had a “Why in the hell did I decide to come back for 1 more season?” look on his face. That is not indicative of a “gunfighter” mentality IMO.

13. “so WHAT IF he beats the Chiefs… whats the media gonna do then??”

Don’t know what the media will say but as a Pats fan I’ll say thanks for handing KC a loss.

14. He should have just went on and retired instead of talking about it. That alone, told me he didn’t have “it” anymore. Ben wasn’t as good as everyone thought in his best days. When he doesn’t have the defenses to carry him anymore, now you see what he is. Naked and ashamed….. he has been exposed!

15. The Steelers will not sniff another Super Bowl until both Big Ben and Tomlin are long gone. And I don’t call getting crushed by the Patriots and losing by 40 points in last year’s AFCCG “sniffing.” Especially when they could not even score one single touchdown against the Chiefs the week before beating them 18-16. Bell runs wild for 170 yards and Big Dummy can’t even come up with 1 touchdown. Big Dummy even checked off a run play on 1st and goal at the Chiefs 5 just so he could throw an interception.

Tomlin’s defensive coordinator “experience” before he got the Steelers head coaching job was ONE YEAR as the Vikings defensive coordinator and in that ONE YEAR the Vikes finished dead last — as in number 32 — in passing defense. Good thing it’s not a passing league right?

16. When facing the NFL’S Best Secondary , no wonder Big Ben turned into Minature Ben !

Go Jaguars !!!

17. The Jaguars have the Best Secondary in the League … No wonder Big Ben turned into Minature Ben …

18. After every INT he had a “Why in the hell did I decide to come back for 1 more season?” look on his face. That is not indicative of a “gunfighter” mentality IMO.
    =====

I’ve never understood this line of reasoning.

.. why did he come back? Beacuse in the spring he was sitting on his front porch and decided he couldn’t live without football. And he’s one of the few people on this earth with the opportunity to be a QB in the NFL.

19. Let’s face it, Big Ben had a horrible game. However, that game further proves that the coaching staff, mainly Tomlin, has absolutely no knowledge of how to game plan. Jax has the number one pass D in the NFL, and you come up with throwing 55 passes, many of which were low percentage completion rate chances??? Tomlin, in his infinite wisdom, probably thought he could confuse Jax with all the passing. Tomlin, consistently puts the Steelers in a position to lose. In short, despite of all his posturing, he runs way too loose of a ship, and it shows…

20. tylawspick6 says:
    October 10, 2017 at 11:55 am

———

Ben has two SB wins…..Phillip…..zero

Bad comparison.

21. I think it’s kind of embarrassing that Steelers fans turned on Big Ben so quickly. It’s been nasty. It’s one thing to age and lose your ability, but it’s a shame how so many fans have talked about a guy who lead the team to a couple Super Bowls and had so many good years. He’s had a mediocre start to the year and had a bad outing against a defense that is Taylor-made to shut down a Roethlisberger led Steelers offense. Ben likes to air it out deep to his wide receivers. What do the Jaguars excel at? Playing zone and forcing teams to dump it off underneath. They have the best cornerback trio in the league and can shut down wide receivers on the sidelines in addition to that. Then throw it 55 times into it combined with a front 4 that can generate pressure by itself and you have a recipe for disaster. Big Ben will bounce back and the haters, ahem, fans will sit on their hands until his next bad game.

22. jjackwagon says:
    October 10, 2017 at 11:34 am

——————–

Except for last season.

23. aarons444 says:
    October 10, 2017 at 12:46 pm

I’ve never understood this line of reasoning.

———————-

24. commentawaitingdeletion says:
    October 10, 2017 at 11:32 am
    “I’m a gunfighter. I got in a gunfight and I lost”

Why was he in a gunfight instead of a slug fest the first place?

31 3 Rate This
    ———————-
    Because Haley let’s his ego get in the way. This isn’t the first time he has done it. For some reason he likes to try and attack other teams strengths.

25. The drama queen loves to talk about how great he is…Granted, he is one of the best,but you never want to hear it come from the guy’s own mouth.

Let me help another judge mental no it all Pat’s fan. If he doesn’t have that confidence in himself he shouldn’t be out there. He needs that confidence on display to lead his team mates. Brady isn’t the only leader in football….I know it’s hard for you to grasp that fact.

26. Sure didn’t sound like it after Sunday. Hope he puts as much effort into game planning against the Chiefs as he does selling everyone on his big retirement tour.

27. It’s more probable than not that he decided he couldn’t live without the $18 million he would have had to pay back.
    =====

LMAO

He had made $158 million ‘at his job’ prior to this year.

I have no idea what his endorsements may be.

I doubt he needed the $18mil.

28. I think it’s kind of embarrassing that Steelers fans turned on Big Ben so quickly.
    =====

AMEN!

Its funny, people always told me what a classy fanbase that was.

.. all I can say to that is; Not since Super Bowl XL!!

29. Not all Steeler fans have turned on Ben. So he had a bad game – big deal. We’ve seen it before. I’d still take Big Ben over any other QB in the league.

30. scallops says:
    October 10, 2017 at 1:19 pm
    ==============================

I agree with you. Big Ben has been the catalyst for many more wins for the Steelers than losses for sure. His body has taken a major beating…there for a while the o-line was like a sieve, plus he does hang onto the ball too long sometimes trying to make a play. After the next 3 or 4 games, we will see if his skills are in rapid decline. If so, then see what Dobbs can do…we already know Jones is a career backup…IMO. However, that poor game plan put the entire team at a disadvantage from the start.

31. crownofthehelmet says:
    October 10, 2017 at 2:32 pm

I’d still take Big Ben over any other QB in the league.
    —————————————————————————————-
    Sure, makes sense. Aaron Rodgers? No thanks, I’ll stick with the guy who isn’t really sure he wants to play, who looks 45 instead of 35, and just threw 5 soft picks to the Jaguars.

32. aarons444 says:
    October 10, 2017 at 2:10 pm

LMAO

He had made $158 million ‘at his job’ prior to this year.

I have no idea what his endorsements may be.

I doubt he needed the $18mil.
    ———————

Whether he needed it or not, he’s wasn’t going to walk away and have to fork over $18 million.

33. I haven’t turned on him. Granted, he had a really bad day, and I would like to see him play better, but bad days happen. Shake it off and move on. Hes got the resume and the two rings to be allowed the chance to come back and prove everyone wrong. Lets give it to him.

34. Wearing his heart on his sleeve after a bad loss or a season coming to a jarring end shows ZERO leadership. That’s what selfish and/or immature players do. Not team 1rst winners. Take a breath, get your thoughts together and move onto the next opponent. Or don’t. Teammates need a committed leader. The Steelers don’t have one, on either side of the ball.

35. Ever since getting Tebowed out of the playoffs, Little Ben has been an emotional mess. A QB who throws 5 interceptions at home plus a defense that allows a 90 yard run up the middle with less than 2 minutes to go — none of that is fixable. Time to get a new coach, new players, and new fans.

36. Ben has never been great, but good enough. He needs to let us know if he is coming back or not. We need to draft a new QB. Landry Jones and Josh Dobbs ain’t gonna cut it.

37. carloswlassiter says:
    October 10, 2017 at 3:00 pm
    crownofthehelmet says:
    October 10, 2017 at 2:32 pm

I’d still take Big Ben over any other QB in the league.
    —————————————————————————————-
    —————————————-
    Aaron Rodgers? Sure, makes sense. I’ll stick with the guy who regularly has embarrassing playoff performances and has taken his team to the promised land once in 10 years instead of 3 times in 12 years.