Local labor union files complaint against Jerry Jones

Getty Images

Local 100 of the United Labor Unions, which represents workers in Texas, Arkansas and Louisiana, filed a complaint alleging Cowboys owner Jerry Jones violated the National Labor Relations Act, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Citing Jones’ threats to discipline players who join the national anthem protest, it asks the National Labor Relations Board “to investigate preemptively in order to prevent illegal firings of players.”

The chief organizer of Local 100, Wade Rathke, accuses Jones of violating the act, which prohibits employers from intimidating or threatening workers for their “concerted activity.”

Rathke said the NFL has established it lacks a rule to force players to stand during the national anthem.

“Jones through his efforts to bully his playing workforce is attempting to unilaterally establish a previously nonexistent condition of work,” Rathke said in a written statement announcing the charge, via the Star-Telegram.

91 responses to “Local labor union files complaint against Jerry Jones

1. Good luck with that one haha. An employer has every right to tell you to not engage in political protests at work in front of customers.

2. I don’t care what Trump said, I don’t care what JJ says and I don’t even care what some union says, bottom line is this… If the kneeling during the Anthem continues, the NFL and everybody in it will pay. Fly over country is getting pissed.

3. Michael E says:
    October 10, 2017 at 7:37 pm

It is not a political protest and union employees have the right to bargain changes in working conditions.

4. Texas is a right to work state – good luck with this.

By the way, I’m pretty sure there isn’t anywhere in the CBA saying the players have to run wind sprints – does that mean they don’t have to do those either?

5. I love this whole preemptively suing thing. The courts at some point need to stop this BS. That being said, the courts did rule in favor Jerrah the last time he was there.

This is really a joke though, if your job can’t give you instructions on how they want to run their business, how is it possible to run the business? They weren’t told that they can’t do their protest on their time. They have been told they can’t do it during a certain period of their WORK DAY. That is the time that the team is paying for that time.

People need to get a grip.

6. Okay…I tapout…Players win…Sit stand do what you will…Just please stop.

I’m not sure why you are kneeling anymore…seems like all you do is kneel for a few minutes on Sunday and do nothing else for your cause the other 10078 minutes of the week. If that gets your rocks off so be it.

Enjoy the next CBA…Dullards!

7. .
    One step closer to seeing my favorite NFL play : the temporary restraining order. It’s tough to defend against.

8. For those saying “protest at home”:

1. I don’t see it as a protest. I see it as people declining to participate in a politically charged event, and doing it peacefully.

2. The NFL could make this all go away by not playing the anthem. Salute the flag at home if you choose to.

9. dbarnes67 says:
    October 10, 2017 at 7:40 pm
    ———

No one cares about fly over country. You all do not produce anything of value and are a drain on the coastal states.

10. Michael E says:
    October 10, 2017 at 7:37 pm
    —————–
    Not when there’s a union contract that stipulates grounds for termination. But good luck with law school!

11. “Enjoy the next CBA…Dullards”!

The players were all standing in 2010, the last year of the previous CBA. The owners locked the players out regardless and the majority of the fans sided against the NFLPA.

So please…standing for the flag did not benefit the players.

12. Jerry’s track record for tolerating immoral behavior makes his endorsement of anything highly suspect. Jones didn’t even care when Michael Irvin almost killed a teammate for refusing to get out of a barber chair.

But if Jones wants to start his own movement called “No Lives Matter,” I’m sure he’ll have the support of the other NFL owners (who fight tooth and nail against concussion research).

13. I’m ok if red states don’t want football. IF football is too progressive red state fans have their constitutional rights to not watch it. Or if they want to sit or trade all their players that protest I’m sure our blue state teams will be happy to give them you a late 7th round pick for them.

14. Football honestly used to be my life. Breathed it. Coached it, scouted and recruited. My Sunday afternoons and Monday demeanor directly reflected what happened to my teams. I flocked to every media outlet during offseason watching for any possible move. Stand, kneel, skip and hold hands. Don’t hit them in the head, don’t hit them low. Only can pay rookies this, you are a 28 year old franchise rb I’m not paying you know matter how much you have done for the team. NFL is ruined. The commissioner makes as much money as as gates and nobody has any power to remove him. Now we have a bunch of entitled players and owners wishing to make a stand for their agenda on a national stage where so many people have worked all week to get to football Sunday….he’ll now its football Thursday too. If not for fantasy football, or playing pick’em polls, it is sad to say the game just does not matter much to me anymore…..

15. I don’t think he said he would fire them, or even not pay them, just said they would be inactive or wouldn’t play…. I don’t think anywhere in anyone’s contracts it guarantees playing time.

16. The USA is done. Don’t stand for the anthem…don’t fight for it…time to let it go. You win Kaepernick. Let the communists have it. Let’s all stop working and go get in line for the handouts.

17. The NBA has a rule and has had a rule. No one challenged it. These leagues absolutely have the standing to say hey, you stand or you will not play. They aren’t firing the players. They are simply saying you sit down and you dont play. Period. Thats the way it should be. Take your protests away from their business

18. Spartanlegend- I’m really confused how he is in violation? Please explain. I say fairly confidently you don’t actually know the labor agreement but please help me understand. Where does it say they are guaranteed to play in every game and not be inactive.

19. variant703 says:
    October 10, 2017 at 7:55 pm

______
    Do you like to drive or be as passenger? Cause with out Texas, it would be a privilege of only the most wealthy.

Texas produced 1.2 billion barrels of oil in 2014, which accounted for 36% of total U.S. output, and the state has almost one-third of all proven oil reserves with 10.5 billion barrels.
    I mean Texas only accounts for 36% of crude oil production in the United States. But don’t let little things like facts get in your way trump junior.

20. 1A limits GOVERNMENT control of free speech. Your workplace belongs to the business owner.

So many failing constitutional experts here.

TIA

21. variant703 says:

——————

The coastal states voted for Hillary Clinton, so talking about “producing nothing of value” is a bit ironic.

22. meccalambeaufield3 says:
    October 10, 2017 at 8:25 pm

This situation originating from a false narrative is reminding me of the Russian collusion farce. Can we just get back to football?
    ——-
    And you call yourself a patriot, standing for the “flag” and “anthem.” So you’re for Russia’s obvious interference in America’s elections – That makes you a hypocrite.

Jerry Jones doesn’t care about you. He’s a business man out for himself.

23. If the kneeling during the Anthem continues, the NFL and everybody in it will pay. Fly over country is getting pissed.

If kneeling during a song is the hill “flyover country” chooses to die on, all of mankind is doomed.

Read the Constitution, know your history, get out of your town, talk to people, see the country and world around you…and get a grip on reality.

24. The problem is that folks are pretending that only they have the right to decide what is and is not respectful with respect to the flag. It’s entirely about politics, nothing close to being about the flag or respect for the country. If it was about the flag or respect for the country the answer would be that of course the flag stands for different viewpoints. Kneeling is not spitting or urinating on the flag. Pretending it is disrespectful goes completely against what the flag actually stands for.

25. Adam Sliver sent a letter to every NBA team telling them the players need to stand for the national anthem, where’s the fake outage and complaints from the left on that?

26. John Henry’s Hammer says:
    October 10, 2017 at 8:17 pm
    ===========================================================================

Really simple stuff but I’m not surprised that you’re confused. The labor agreement suggests that players SHOULD stand but does not mandate it. Is that honestly confusing to you? If so I’m worried about you

27. misterfuji1982 says:
    October 10, 2017 at 7:57 pm
    “Enjoy the next CBA…Dullards”!

So please…standing for the flag did not benefit the players.
    ———————————–

You’re correct standing doesn’t benefit the players but kneel might bury them when the negotiated piece of the pie is the same percent but has substantially less dollars attached to it…I don’t care what they do it will never effect my income, life and happiness. Now if you honestly think kneeling is improving the image of the NFL, the ratings and potential revenue please explain…I am all ears!

28. Soooo, what if an employer says his employees have to stand for the flag salute or theyre fired? Isnt this kinda the same scenario? It doesnt seem right. Looks like some people wanna act patriotic by taking away others’ rights. Seems ironic to me.

29. This the Civil War II. Slave owners vs the United States of America. America won the first time around. The Southerners never changed their thinking, and here they are again. Ready for another whoopin.

30. How can you preemptively sue for something that “might” happen? Can I sue someone because they “might” injure me in an automobile accident? Particularly if you’re suing using union due/monies not raised from the NFLPA?

Seems like if I was in the local 100 and my dues were used for someone else’s fight like this and particularly considering how RICH the NFLPA has to be from it’s union members – I’d be a little ticked about my union leadership. It’s not Local 100 business and Local 100 dues should be saved for local 100 business. Those dues are to help the guys in the 100 because there will come a time when we’ll need it. NFLPA multi-millionaires can afford to fight their own battles with their own union.

31. I hate the Cowboys, but Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!?!?!

This is the most reficulous thing I have ever heard. Are the players represented by this union or is the union doing this as a publicity stunt.

32. Who said anything about firing players? Aren’t teams allowed to discipline players (ie. deactivate them or bench them), for any violation of TEAM rules?

Sounds like yet ANOTHER group, trying to get in on the “look at me!” scene…

33. Seems like a waste of time time. SPC is not guaranteed in most cases. Teams (owners) can fire anyone on a whim. The only scenario where this would be an issue is if a team sought to recoup bonus money paid or reneg on a future guarantee. And that is done through a grievance *after* it happens, not dealt with in the hypothetical.

34. Ladies and gentlemen, Unions in America. As worthless now as they have been for decades. Proving their worth every day with garbage like this. I’m against anything that’s more corrupt than the U.S. government.

35. President should sign an executive order banning NFL, then all those YOYO’S can go out and look for real work, minimum wage work.

36. Jerry is just looking to sell a few more over priced beer and hotdogs. Give him a break willya?

37. This is a complete joke!! JJ can do what he wants with that team. He is the owner and employer and the employee does what he asks or they get benched. It’s plain and simple. The union has zero shot at winning that fight. Not to mention they need to stay the hell out of it. When you become a billionaire you can do as you want. He said he would bench the player that doesn’t stand. What is the union gonna do?? Complain because the billionaire owner benches a player? Hahaha
    It is his team and he can do what he wants. It isn’t against the law to bench a player. Crap like this is what’s wrong with this country. Don’t get your way so let’s file a lawsuit or complain!!! Suck it up and move on!!

38. It’s not like Jones said the players who don’t stand would be fired. He said they would not play in the game. They still get paid. As the owner, that’s his decision to make if he wants to.
    Also, if these players don’t want to stand, why don’t they put their money where their mouths are and quit the team?

39. If these players don’t want to stand, why don’t they put their money where their mouths are and quit the team?

40. As I said earlier, be careful this is complicated. There is so much involved here. Most do not realize just how deep and dark this rabbit hole is. Jerry in trying to take the easy way out
    just 55 gallon drum of worms…

41. what a joke. How many people does Jerry Jones employ in Dallas. A LOT. How about saying Thank You for the Job. Nope, let’s file a complaint

42. This does not make any sense. The NFL has official documents stating that all players should stand for the national anthem. If they refuse they can fined, suspended, or cut. In addition teams can even be docked draft picks. Now the NFL does not enforce this policy. Therefore, to suggest that Jerry Jones is arbitrarily making this up is completely false.

The other part is this. An employer is legally allowed to impose whatever reasonable restrictions he wants on his employees. If you do not like it, then the law tells you to get another job.
    Requiring that an employee stand for the national anthem is no different that regulating their clothing entire. This is because everything done by NFL players reflects on their individual teams and the NFL as a whole. Thus, if a player refuses to stand for the anthem it may cause ratings to drop (which it has). And if said ratings drop the NFL will make less money.
    This is the same reason why employers are allowed to regulate the social media accounts of employees who affiliate their accounts with the company. Jerry Jones is not doing anything new. He is simply doing what the NFL should have done from the beginning. And what hundreds of other companies do to protect their business.

43. Gee really? Wow. I’m sure Jerry and every single owner has contracts that explicitely state a player must adhere to certain moral and ethic standards or they can be releashed, fined or punished.
    The Union is trying to stay the team owner cant require the players to do something, players he is paying for out of his pocket.

44. bird2urmother says:
    _________________________

Says somebody who seems to represent a group who thinks only them and anybody who thinks like them have rights

45. I had a similar discussion with a coworker. He said he didn’t like the process of the kneeling/protest. I mentioned they have a constitutional right to kneel.

Now, if you want to argue that they’re doing so at their place of employment, you have an argument. However, he didn’t own a team.

The players look at it as a game, until, and only, when it’s contract time. Then it’s a business. So, to the players, which is it?

Like it or not, it has always been a business. Therefore, if X franchise prohibits demonstrations at the work place, there is absolutely nothing the union, and players, can do about it.

Lastly, I don’t see any player protesting the other six days of the week.

P.S. I spent 23 years in the military. I personally don’t have an issue with the kneeling. However, I find it odd that most, if not all of those protesting, only do so for a few minutes one day a week.

46. bird2urmother says:
    October 10, 2017 at 8:54 pm

*****
    Everyone has a right to protest. However, while at your workplace, employers can set rules regarding the aforementioned.

Protesting is a personal decision. Companies tend to stay out of politics for obvious reasons. I suggest you go outside your work and protest on company time. Everyday. See how long it takes before HR gets involved.

47. bird2urmother says:
    October 10, 2017 at 8:54 pm

A better comparison would be if an employer said you must stand or else you won’t be allowed to do your work but you’ll still get paid. Nobody is getting fired

48. This is all so stupid kneel stand or sit. The real problem is these athletes don’t realize they are role models. And now young kids are kneeling and don’t even know why. how about getting out in the community and actually bringing attention to your concerns. Is that so hard to do. Take 3 hours out of your day off to stand up for what is so important to you. Everyone is getting offended and making it about there right to protest. Your offending the right by kneeling and the left is offended that the right is offended. It is just so stupid I eat sleep and breath football. And I still don’t know a real reason why you are kneeling. It is such a vague term you are using. You are kneeling for inequality why are you are making more money than most of your fans will ever see. Hard to get behind that cause when that’s all your doing. It’s like a guy a my work that complains he isn’t making enough money and whines all day. But he isn’t doing anything outside of work to make themselves more valuable to there company. But will hate on a guy that gets a promotion because he put in work outside of his job to make himself more valuable to his employee. Kneeling to me is just lazy I care enough to kneel for 1 minute. But don’t care enough to do anything else throughout the week to really bring awareness. A lot of better men have done slot more than kneeling without still causing change. So quit being lazy and actually do something and then maybe you will be taken seriously. Quit ruining my favorite sport. I want to see actual football related headlines instead of a local union suing the cowboys for publicity. That will be thrown out of court the moment a judge sees it. If it were just that easy where you could just go to your work and kneel and your boss would instantly stop being a prick. No normal people would be fired and it would never make the local online paper.

49. The members paying dues should sue the union for wasting their money on a stupid lawsuit that they are obviously going to lose.

50. While the NFL front office (read the commissioner Roger Goodell)has stated that there is no policy that makes it mandatory for players to stand for the national anthem, the NFL Personal Conduct Policy is so vague that the NFL front office COULD, if it so desired, interpret it to mean that players who do not stand for the anthem undermine public support for the NFL, and in so doing put at risk the integrity of the NFL, NFL clubs or NFL personnel. Such conduct is expressly prohibited by the NFL Personal Conduct Policy, which states that all persons associated with the NFL ” are required to avoid conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the National Football League.”

51. > An employer has every right to tell you what to do

NFL players are contract employees, and as such are subject only to the rules embodied within their contract, period.

52. Liberalsruineverything says:

October 10, 2017 at 7:50 pm

I thought Texas was a right to work state. If not it probably will be soon if you mess with the Cowboys.
    ————————————-

Texas law doesn’t apply to NFL contracts and it’s right-to-work law doesn’t apply to contract employees.

And Texas is already a right to work state

53. Previously non existing rule? So thats why hes implimenting a new one effective going forward so how does that greivance even apply? You want the arbitrator to say that bussiness owners can make new rules for their companies just bc there was no rule prior? Would that union run its office like tgat? Somebody at their office is stealing pens but once the company finds out they cant make a new rule about stealing bc there wasnt a prior one in place? Just goes to show how people let tgeir passion run their common sense

54. Sorry, but the flag means different things to different people. I prefer they stand for the flag, but forcing people to do this sounds very much like a dictatorship.
    Is this the path we want to go down? Why not make them march, too?
    Then, if we’re going to force the players to do so, then we should all stand up at home when we hear this on TV. I’ll guarantee you, almost no one stands at home when it’s played over the air on TV. So, let’s make it a law that we have to stand at home, too.
    Where does it stop?

55. spartanlegend says:
    October 10, 2017 at 8:48 pm
    John Henry’s Hammer says:
    October 10, 2017 at 8:17 pm
    ===========================================================================

———————————-
    I know you like calling people unintelligent and all, but let’s stick to facts. Please show me in the labor agreement where players are guaranteed playing time and not to be inactive. That is what is confusing. You say he is in violation of the labor agreement for benching a player, just show me where it says he cannot do that as long as he is still paying him for the game.

56. I love how everyone thinks that this is a private employer matter. Actually, the Union (or any of the players) should bring a breach of contract claim also. No where in the original contract does it state they have to stand and now for an employer to change the terms and conditions of that contract, is a breach. Furthermore, a Union has every standing to bring claims on behalf of those it represents (throughout its entire membership, wherever they are in the US and her territories) so standing is not an issue here. Also, this is before the NLRB.

What many in “fly over country” need to do is actual learn about the Constitution and the fact that in many instances, even private employers must bow to the document. Besides, the Supreme Court has already ruled that one can burn a flag, smoke peyote, and that students do not have to stand for the national anthem/recite the pledge/or swear/affirm on a Bible. Learn the history of the country you profess to love so much before making absurd comments. .now toll away!!..

57. If they sit, kneel, raise their fist or otherwise protest on the clock; Bench them and DO NOT pay them for that game.
    I’m sure that 32 Multi-Billionaires can come up with a legal defense team. Drag things out until the players that sue die of old age…

58. RAnt 1906 says:
    October 11, 2017 at 11:14 am

———————

Where in the original contract does it say they have to play every game. If the contract isn’t terminated and they simply aren’t playing how is it in violation?

59. Jeeze this is TOO good. Conduct seen as unbecoming or damaging to a team’s image is always grounds for termination or lesser corrective action. It’s in every contract and no CBA will change that.

They release players for merely being accused of crimes or misconduct (or just strange conduct), even if minor and not harmful to anyone else.

NFLPA would’ve been wise to stay out of this one until someone triggered them to respond to an ACTUAL benching or termination.

60. Put ALL of The Knee’ers on The SAME TEAM. Then see how They do against The “others” who remained standing. This would be Interesting.