Eric Reid: Jed York said he’s “not going to force us” to stand for anthem

AP

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has ordered his players to stand for the national anthem. 49ers CEO Jed York won’t, according to safety Eric Reid.

“Well, I’ve talked to Jed,” Reid said Wednesday, via Cam Inman of the Bay Area News Group. He’s expressed very clearly that he will support us. He’s not going to force us to do anything. Speaking for our team, that’s what he’s told me explicitly.”

Reid became one of the first teammates to join Colin Kaepernick in the national anthem protest last season. He has continued to protest this season. The 49ers had 23 players kneel during the national anthem Sunday against the Colts, prompting Vice President Mike Pence to walk out before the game.

The league’s owners meet next week, with the national anthem “front and center on the agenda,” according to NFL spokesman Joe Lockhart. Signs point to the NFL eventually requiring players to stand for the national anthem.

“As far as I know, that would have to be something collectively bargained on,” Reid said. “I’m not sure that they can do that, but I guess we’ll find out soon. We’ll see.”

But Lockhart said Tuesday, “I don’t believe that the anthem per se is an issue that’s collective bargained.”

83 responses to “Eric Reid: Jed York said he’s “not going to force us” to stand for anthem

1. It doesn’t have to be collectively bargained, but the players will do whatever they want anyway, as they have been enabled to do their whole life. They were raised with “athlete privilege” and simply cannot understand what it’s like to not be an athlete. They will never understand what it’s like to be in our shoes.

2. Don’t really care what Reid has to say anymore. Dude spends most of his time injured. If only he would spend as much time on the field as he does spitting out garbage. Doesn’t matter, it’s a contract year and he’s gone after this year.

3. This whole escapade has become a ridiculous sideshow and needs to be snuffed out – seems like NFL/Goodell realized who they got in bed with last week and changed their tune. It’s time to institute a team unity mandate for this.. If you don’t stand, automatic suspension for a game w/out pay. All those concussions he suffered seem to have really thrown him off.

4. I think the anthem should be sang everyday before we start work. When we enter and leave the country via boat or airplane we should have to sing the anthem. Whenever you enter a government building you should have to sing it too. Why is it just sporting events?!?! Doing it at just sporting events makes us look unpatriotic as a country. We should sing it at funerals and weddings too. Maybe even church.

5. Kneel,sit,stand,do a cartwheel or handstand if you want to I don’t personally care but so this whole thing can go away express what you want to accomplish with this nonsense so it can be taken seriously. Simply saying oppression and equality and other words that apparently none of you know the meaning of isn’t helping and its very vague. You want better treatment of black people by the police? You’ll never get that when you consider any and every interaction with police to be unfair,unjust or racist. You want gang violence to go up amongst black men in every city in America as a result of cops stepping back so as not to be “racist”? Thats how it seems.

6. Article 46 of the CBA regarding conduct detrimental to the league is essentially carte blanche for the league to punish any player, at any time, for any reason, as upheld by the Second Circuit Federal Court. If you don’t stand, you can be fined or suspended at the discretion of the league.

7. The 49ers and Browns seem to be very concerned about how to deal with the National Anthem. The 49ers and Browns.

8. NFL itself yesterday announced viewership is down 30%. Hey Eric and players…don’t cry when the next salary agreement is a drop of 30%. You can’t bite the hand that pays the tickets, the TV companies that pay huge sums so they can sell their shows and advertising. I enjoy the game and and tuned out the kneeling vs. not. I do know, as a worker, when you start biting the hand that feeds you ….the fallout can sometimes outweigh the fight you were fighting for.

9. AWESOME!!

So first, we got to read reports each day of which player stood and which player didn’t. Now we’ll start getting reports on which team will allow players to disrespect the flag, and which ones won’t! I honestly thought there would be more important stories to run each day, when we were in the middle of a season… …guess I was wrong.

10. Note: IT IS IN THE NFL CONTRACT AND HANDBOOK That players must stand for the National Anthem. Many teams took it out because they felt it was understood.
    Also it is NOT a violation of freedom of speech by punishing players who take a knee, sit or don’t show for the anthem.
    Workplace rules ARE NOT the same as social rules.
    Look up all the people who’ve been fired for talking junk on either their company or their bosses on Facebook. It happens all the time.

11. There’s no un-ringing this bell. The players have decided to shove their political views in our face. So far it’s clear they’re progressive leftists who’s workplace association contributes to the American hating George Soros, they’re politically aligned with black lives matter and they’re anti Trump.

Why would anyone who’s politics is at the opposite end of the spectrum spend anymore money paying these guys and by extension financially supporting their political causes? I hope the league folds as I love America far more than I use to like the NFL. These guys need regular jobs.

And by the way, can anyone tell me what a man with black skin CAN’T DO in America?

12. Keep it up fellas, it’s working out so well for you. Browns and 49ers, 0-10, lots of protesters. Both protesting against the country in American tax funded stadiums. Ironic, no?

13. Collective Bargaining? You’ve got to be kidding! The players are already stomping all over the NFL’s brand and trademark by protesting on NFL time and using it’s platform. You don’t stand out of respect then you sit and be penalized. Period!

14. @vjack no they can’t tell you what a black person can’t do they’ll just thumbs down your comment and if they reply at all it will be nothing of substance or factual evidence just an empty statement that criticizes Trump and uses the words oppressed, equality and bigot over and over

15. “I think the anthem should be sang everyday before we start work. When we enter and leave the country via boat or airplane we should have to sing the anthem. Whenever you enter a government building you should have to sing it too. Why is it just sporting events?!?! Doing it at just sporting events makes us look unpatriotic as a country. We should sing it at funerals and weddings too. Maybe even church”
    —————————————————————————–
    This probably happens in North Korea. Everyone in North Korea has a picture of their leader in their home, it’s required. With the way things are going everybody might have to have pictures of Trump in their homes.

16. The Bay Area stood by Kaepernick. Actually we wish Kap was still the QB…….

You can always set up a gofundme page from the people of California to pay for Colin’s salary and present it to the 49ers…

17. nathanp2013 says:
    “…born on third base and acts like he hit a triple.”

Wow – I love that expression!!!! I will absolutely be stealing that one, for the future! Ha! Ha!!!

18. Police statistics actually show they are more reticent to shoot blacks but they shoot whites in much greater numbers. The protest is based on a false narrative peddled by anti American groups and carried out by the misinformed and willingly ignorant. The Castro shirt gives away the motivation.

19. Jed’s spineless but he knows the commish will provide cover when he mandates standing or else. No team (with brains) would give up picks or cash for this issue.

Hey players! We got the message. You don’t need to keep doing it to bring attention to the issue(s). But you aren’t getting our message. And we’ll be here longer than you

20. 49ersfury says:
    October 11, 2017 at 5:43 pm
    The Bay Area stood by Kaepernick. Actually we wish Kap was still the QB.

___

Right… instead of playing the one trick pony that rode a championship caliber defense to a super bowl and 2 championship games, we found ourselves a QB who can hit coaches on the sidelines for a lot less. If you’re watching football for SJW purposes, then please, build your own league.

21. “And, by the way, can anyone tell me what a man with BLACK SKIN can’t do in America?”

1. Get a job that he is clearly qualified for without someone like you saying it was solely because of a quota or affirmative action;

2. Drive through many neighborhoods without immediately being profiled;

3. Obtain loans, credit, and insurance without paying higher rates/fees than you.

Enough examples?

22. It’s funny, that 99.9999% of you crying about “kneeling” have never served in the military, police dep’t, or served anything but yourselves. And yet, you’re soooooo “patriotic.” Sickening – A vet

23. Getting together with police won’t solve anything. Black players should be going to black communities and bridge the gap between the people and the police to get more cooperation with police to reduce black crime. 13% of population yet they commit 50% of violent crime. The DOJ say its only 3-5% (ages 16-28) of the 13% that are committing most of the crimes.

24. @ skawh…Thank you for putting me in the “one in a million” group.
    I personally spent two tours in Nam, ’68-’69, and ’70-71. I had three(3) children in Iraq/Afghanistan at the same time. One is still in the Marines @ Camp Lejuene, presently, just home from HER fourth deployment as a nurse. One has a piece of steel in his head from an IED, the other escaped unharmed. Maybe you should talk to them about your stance.

BTW, playing CALL of Duty 12 hours a day does not qualify a person as a veteran.

25. My father served in the US Army, twice. He has been a season ticket holder of the Saints for 51 years. This year, he stopped watching the games on TV. (He is too old to go to the games in person for a whole season.) He first stopped watching all NFL games except the Saints, two weeks ago, he stopped watching the Saints. He also called the Saints office and had a few choice words to say, very respectfully. I have not yet given up on the NFL, but it is getting very close for me also. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on the NFL over the years, it is kind of scary to think about the amount I have spent. I have been to NFL games in 14 different stadiums. I am a lifelong fan, you are getting REALLY close to losing me. If you lose me, there are many more fans you will lose before me.

The NFL is ENTERTAINMENT. The players are ENTERTAINERS who play a GAME for our enjoyment. If they want to protest, do it on YOUR own time, not in front of me when I am supplying the money that pays your salary.

26. At this point it may not matter a whole lot what the NFL does. The time to do something was last year. There is a saying that says “If you like sausage, don’t watch it being made.” America has caught a glimpse into the mind and soul of not only some NFL players, but the commissioner and owners – and have found it to be disturbing. Not many (certainly not me) ever guessed that they would have sided with an anti-American sentiment. You can’t change that now. It would take a tremendous overhaul of the NFL now to right the ship – and clearly they don’t have the leadership to do that.

27. Doncha love how the players think, we, the fans are the entertainment. That somehow they pay us to watch them. What seems to escape their reasoning is that football was there before them and will be there after they’ve knelt their way out of a job. Personally, I wouldn’t mind if they all sat, were suspended and ‘scabs’ were brought in.

28. That’s fine. Nobody will be watching, Jed. And the fans you may manage to keep in California aren’t going to be able to afford tickets, because most of them live in California.

29. cardinealsfan20 says:
    October 11, 2017 at 6:05 pm

2. Drive through many neighborhoods without immediately being profiled;

Enough examples?

——————
    This is all based in fact or based on what someone says? I’m curious bc I’ve never heard of numbers 1 and 3 and as a white male, I’ve been profiled as much by Hispanics and blacks. I’m constantly called white boy, gringo, etc and there’s is no reason the throw a fit about it. People are going to be the way people are. It’s been like this since the beginning of time. Someone has always been lesser than another….I believe that’s the whole human nature thing.

30. Since so many people are willfully ignorant, it was a Texas-born ex-Green Beret veteran (Nate Boyer) who told Kaepernick last year that kneeling instead of sitting on the bench would be a more respectful way to protest. This has been repeated several times, including by Boyer himself. But these days people don’t listen to what they don’t want to hear, only people they agree with. Also, I dare anyone to go to an NFL game and not to find drunken fans in the stands that don’t care and are shoving over-priced food in their mouth while the anthem is being played. How is that not more disrespectful than silently kneeling?

31. players did more damage to the cause than helped it. i’ll bet more people are sick of the race card than before.

32. I truly don’t believe the NFL has any idea how serious this is. No, most fans won’t stop watching games or buying merch but many will. Image of the league loses even 10 or 20% of its fan base? Devastating! Oh, those of us with kids? We’re taking them with us as we leave. Goodell really wet the bed here. Let’s see if he can clean things up.

33. cardinealsfan20 says:

2. Drive through many neighborhoods without immediately being profiled;

————————

1. This happens BECAUSE of affirmative action and other race-based favoritism.

2. I bet if I walk through a black neighborhood I’ll be “profiled”.

3. Insurance costs are based, in part, on risk. If you buy a house in a black neighborhood the risk is higher for theft or vandalism. That’s a fact. No amount of PC whining makes it any less of a fact.

Perhaps the people who complain about being “profiled” should think about transforming their neighborhoods into the kinds of places people gravitate toward, instead of the kinds of places they can’t wait to escape from. There might be less “profiling”.

34. I’d like to address the usually snarky posts that ask “Why, if you’ve stopped watching, are you commenting?” Speaking for myself, I’ve had a deep love of my team and the NFL for decades and I hate to see what Goodell and his partners in crime have done to the game. Perhaps there is still a chance (maybe a slim one) that the real fans who built and supported the league can turn it around before it’s too late. That’s why many frustrated fans are still posting – they haven’t given up. But when and if that day comes, the league will be done.

35. He won’t force them to stand…but he will go along with the majority of the league and tell them if they do not intend to stand then wait in the locker room/tunnel.

36. willycents says:
    October 11, 2017 at 6:27 pm

@ skawh…Thank you for putting me in the “one in a million” group.

——-
    My DD214 classifies me as a 4 year vietnam era veteran. Wrong to assume about others, especially those pointing out the fact that the same people protesting the players protest were protesting you and I coming home from the Vietnam war.

Selective patriotism does not count for anything. Serve, or shut up.

37. papathorson says:
    October 11, 2017 at 7:24 pm
    – – –

So it’s just an empty threat?

38. It’s amazing to me to see how many people don’t understand freedom of speech is NOT protected in the workplace. You CAN be fired for it.

It’s amazing to me to see how many people feel compelled to post some variation of this comment as if it was something new each time

39. You people trying to make this about patriotism have fallen for the con. He has divided us again and again and you just don’t see it.

Trump has somehow made you sound like racism is okay by forcing the false Narrative of patriotism done your throat and you swallowing it.

Their protest was never about patriotism or the military or the flag itself. It was about the local civilian government AKA police and their unjust treatment of blacks.

And somehow Trump has flipped the story and you to support the opposite side of that argument.

Do you truly not see? Or do you conveniently miss this one because it feels natural. I’m guessing it’s both.

40. On the Coboys thread I was pointing out to people that its not a first amendment issue, if Jones wants to oder his players not to do protest at his games in his uniforms thats entirely his right and they have to comply ir he is free to send them out.

Likewise if York wants to say its fine for his players to protest at the games in the team uniform that is also entirely his right too. And there is nothing you, me, or Donald Trump can do about it. (Trump will still exercise his own rights and say plenty, but thats all he can do is yap about it, he cannot direct the team or league to anything they dont want to)

Im not arguing for or against the protests, Im just speaking to where the rights lie and who gets to decide. In all cases its the employer since this is about doing it at work.

41. papathorson says:
    October 11, 2017 at 7:24 pm

—————
    Or maybe in some of those cases they did stop watching, and now they have the time on their hands.

42. Perhaps the people who complain about being “profiled” should think about transforming their neighborhoods into the kinds of places people gravitate toward, instead of the kinds of places they can’t wait to escape from. There might be less “profiling”……

Agreed…However when the white people buy a house there and fix it up…Thats Gentrifcation says Spike Lee. You can’t win

43. Crispus Attucks, the Buffalo Soldiers, the Harlem Hellfighters, the Redtails, etc… None of the aforementioned war veterans would feel that kneeling during the national anthem is disrespectful to the flag or country. Most of them, if they didn’t make the ultimate sacrifice, returned from battle as slaves, indentured servants or second-class citizens. Those that fought in Iraq and Afghanistan, return Stateside only to be profiled while driving, simply because of the melanin in their skin. So, the narrow-minded people like the idiot that sits in the White House, need to open their minds, because they’re missing out on this great game we call life.

44. spartanlegend says:
    October 11, 2017 at 8:02 pm

– – – –

It’s amazing to me that some people don’t see what’s going on. When the President tells the NFL owners to make their players stand to end their NONviolent, PEACEful protest, THAT. IS CENSORSHIP.

And now he’s saying NBC News should lose their broadcast rights because he doesn’t agree with their content. Do people not see what the White House is trying to do?

You don’t have to agree with the Anthem Protests to take a stand against this White House-sponsored censorship.

45. Meanwhile today Trump was so busy he missed the deadline to implement sanctions on Russia that was approved by congress in a landslide vote. But I forgot his brain can only handle one simple task at a time and right now he’s too focused on crying about taking a knee.

46. Jed York is fully within his rights to let his players do whatever they want.

Right now, Eric Reid thinks that’s a good thing.

Of course, next week, the NFL may be fining or suspending players. The NFL may also be taking draft picks.

So Mr Reid, are you sure York is not going to make you stand?

47. Just cancleled my trip to DC this week to watch Niners…. no need to go buy tickets to watch self procalimed oppressed millionaires kneel to the same country that gave them the opportunity to play and make millions. Hit them where it hurts…. maybe then they feel oppressed and get back to honoring the people and country that sacrificed and sacrifices their lives for their freedom.

48. Jed cant afford to alienate his entire team who may just tell him we will not play. That’s the real fear is pissing off the players and having them boycott the games en masse. If so the NFL is toast from then on.

49. Keep it simple- if the players/coaches/management are out there, and don’t stand, fine them and have the fine money go to families of law enforcement officers injured or killed on the job.

My NFL watching is very limited now. Definitely cut back due to inane protests. Going to cut the cord as well. Just need over the air to watch my team. No more Red Zone or MNF for me.

50. Jed York is also a terribly incompetent owner who was born on third base and acts like he hit a triple.
    ————————————————-
    Must be nice not to worry about lost revenues at his half empty stadium located hours from his fan base.
    Sadly, this formula is standard for all the California teams. Oakland is leaving its fan base. San Diego left its fan base. The Rams escaped its fan base.
    Then there’s Jacksonville…likely heading overseas in search of a higher paying fan base.
    The NFL has taken fan loyalty for granted far too long ….but push back has begun. Might be time the Full 32 start paying attention…before its too late.
    I don’t know too many people willing to fork over hundreds of dollars to witness social justice exhibitions….even in California.