NFL, NFLPA release joint statement about national anthem discussion

Getty Images

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith talked Wednesday before releasing a joint statement about owners’ expected discussions on the national anthem next week. The statement reads:

“Commissioner Roger Goodell reached out to NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith today and both he and player leadership will attend the League meetings next week. There has been no change in the current policy regarding the anthem. The agenda will be a continuation of how to make progress on the important social issues that players have vocalized. Everyone who is part of our NFL community has a tremendous respect for our country, our flag, our anthem and our military, and we are coming together to deal with these issues in a civil and constructive way.”

NFL spokesman Joe Lockhart said Tuesday the national anthem will be “front and center on the agenda” for owners at next week’s meetings.

58 responses to “NFL, NFLPA release joint statement about national anthem discussion

1. There is no such thing as a “NFL community.” It is that type of condescending, arrogant claptrap that is causing the NFL to go down a sinkhole.

2. I get that they want to deal with issues in a “civil and constructive way”, but if you offend the majority of Americans who think you should stand for the anthem, your message gets lost. If you have to say you have “respect for our country, our flag, our anthem and our military” then you’ve already lost. You need to find a different way to get your message across. This isn’t working and the longer the NFL allows it, the more fans and sponsors they will lose and nothing that the players are attempting to protest will ever change.

3. To those claiming the NFL is losing tons of cash and losing fans, where’s your proof and evidence?

4. Everyone who is part of our NFL community has a tremendous respect for our country, our flag, our anthem and our military,
    ====================================================

That’s simply not true.

5. The agenda will be a continuation of how to make progress on the important social issues that players have vocalized.

Oh Oh..I think we have “Activism Awareness Month” coming

6. The fans that are not watching the NFL due to the protest were never fans in the first place. You go to the game to watch football not to look on the sideline to see who is kneeling during the anthem. I’m curious those that are watching the players kneeling instead of looking at the flag aren’t they disrespecting the anthem? People are booing while the anthem is playing aren’t they disrespecting the flag? Just wondering how people feel about these people.

7. “The the two man clown show is hemorrhaging cash as they speak. A lot of fans are gone for good and a lot more have one foot out the door.”
    —————————
    That should be a lot of white, bigoted fans with faux outrage fueled by a faux president

8. To all my commment brothers and sister. I’m done. Not more clicking on anthem & protest stories…I’m fatigued, my brain hurts and I like to keep my sports and politics separate.

NFL has like 8 months to clear this up or they lose my DirectTV/NFL Ticket money.

9. This is the best statement yet from the league on this situation. Finally someone has figured out they’ll get better results listening and engaging more about the issue rather than trying to force compliance and shift the issue. You hear that Trump, that’s another option you can add to your repertoire of how to negotiate.

10. By the way, if Zeke and Dak take a knee do you seriously think Jones is benching them? It’ all a show people and you’re suckers enough to think it’s true when in reality it’s one heck of a distraction by the guy who will not finish out his first term.

11. Hilarious.

I thought the lemmings who follow the idiot in chief were claiming victory.

Looks like a swing and a miss from Drumph…again.

Same as it ever was.

Carry on.

12. The only way for the players to be heard, is compile all the statistics in all major cites on shootings of minorities by the police and the reasons for those shootings and court rulings. Find a Senator willing to champion the cause and bring it to the Congress for review.

However, there are 2 problems. First, the data says the opposite of what the players say is going on. There are few cop on black shootings and many more white shootings by the police. If they are speaking of police brutality, then credible instances must be shown and those precincts brought to justice, but not under Eric Holder justice. I think this is a fair solution…

But this has a strong anti-cop flavor to it. Which means fewer hands off cops and just less policing…If they are looking for this as a solution as an Ex-QB suggested, it will fall on deaf ears.

It’s up to Malcom Jenkins, Michael Bennett and Marcus Peters to make this happen. Whats it gonna be? An offseason in Tahiti or backing up your devise actions with working towards a solution…

13. Michael E says:
    October 11, 2017 at 6:47 pm

====================================================

That’s simply not true.
    ——–
    “Respect” is earned, not given. If the anthem and the cryer’s want respect, how’s about respecting those being shot and killed while unarmed by police?

The NFL survived and all white league; So this shall pass.

14. imodan says:

===========================================================

And you wonder why your party has lost all power from state to federal level.

15. To those claiming the NFL is losing tons of cash and losing fans, where’s your proof and evidence?
    ——————————————————–
    Ratings by the major networks for NFL football are down across the board for the last year and a half. To the tune of approximately 20% total.
    Several financial outlets have stated that NFL revenues are down for the month of September as much as 30% from those of a year ago.
    I would give you links, but, out of respect to Florio, I will not.

16. I find it difficult to believe the folks that read and comment on these stories, and dog the NFL, the Comish and threaten to leave are being truthful. Why do u continue to read and comment if not a true fan. Idle threats are a waste of your a d all else time. I dont like the demonstrations, but it is their right. So i choose to ignore them and then proceed to enjoy the games. Lets move on!

17. markg5wagon says:
    October 11, 2017 at 6:49 pm

——
    “They” are free to protest the players protests. That’s selective freedom isn’t it.

18. Hilarious.

I thought the lemmings who follow the idiot in chief were claiming victory.

Looks like a swing and a miss from Drumph…again.

Same as it ever was.

Carry on………….

What does Trump have to do with this?

This is watching the NFL owners sit on a fence terrified of lost revenue and player revolt…. Ratings down 8% in the month of September alone…Is it politics, or is it football Mr Goddell?

19. skawh says:

=====================================================================

We respect those shot by police who shouldn’t have been. But it’s easy to see your real motivation when you ignore things like the 510 murders, mostly black on black, in Chicago THIS YEAR ALONE. FIVE HUNDRED AND TEN IN ONE CITY IN LESS THAN 10 MONTHS. And that’s only deaths, not injuries. Nobody is protesting the national anthem because the government is doing nothing about that. Why?

20. Robot Impurity says:
    October 11, 2017 at 6:44 pm

————————————–

well memorabilia prices and high end football card prices are down about 30% this year alone and small market teams are no longer sellouts and holders are dumping tix to the games they dont want for 20 dollars. so somebody has stopped spending money.

21. The NFL has allowed it’s employees to disrespect one of it’s long-time paying sponsors, the US Military Services. If the NFL doesn’t want that money, then just say so and most of us will then move on to other things.

22. For those you who have not served in the armed forces, shut up. You didn’t do your patriotic duty so have no right to speak for those who did. I served my country and the players are using their jobs to speak up for us who have served. They are giving voice to the multi-races of Americans who have served only to come home to the same social issues that plague all races. You, who have not served have no right to speak for those who have!

23. Maybe they should just stop playing the national anthem at sporting events. Since the song has become so popular, they should just have concerts with a bunch of bands that just take turns playing the national anthem. Then everyone can choose which event they want to attend. The concert or the ball game. For the really diehard flag waivers, there is always the option to put their money where their mouth is and join the military. Go risk your life overseas fighting for freedom, while a bunch of us sit home and try to take freedom away. I wonder what the rest of the world thinks of us. Has Trump dummied us down, or were we always like this?

24. Robot Impurity says:
    October 11, 2017 at 6:44 pm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hmmm…OK. Let’s go with this…the same place where there is proof of systemic/institutional oppression against people of color and that police are hunting down unarmed black men in the streets.

25. There will be no winners in this, excluding the politician who started this. One way or another the owners will probably end up forcing the players to stand for the national anthem. Then, there will cries that the owners are treating their players like slaves or taking away their freedom of speech. If the players aren’t force to stand, then repeated cries of them disrespecting the flag will be heard all over again. The bottom line will be does the NFL want to risk the loss of revenue with this continued anthem question.

26. moosejawman says:
    October 11, 2017 at 6:47 pm

Oh Oh..I think we have “Activism Awareness Month” coming
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I think so too. Probably September to distract fans from the low quality football due to lack of worthwhile practices.

27. For those you who have not served in the armed forces, shut up. You didn’t do your patriotic duty so have no right to speak for those who did. I served my country and the players are using their jobs to speak up for us who have served. They are giving voice to the multi-races of Americans who have served only to come home to the same social issues that plague all races. You, who have not served have no right to speak for those who have!

Thanks for your service. However, you and I know this protest has nothing to do with the Military.

28. If they have so much respect for the Flag and the Anthem then don’t show so much
    disrespect for the Flag and the Anthem

Stand Up……Pretty Simple

29. Good thing that white female nurse wasn’t black (“only” to make a point).

BTW … That Detective should have been fired on the spot.

Bad Cops, are bad cops. We can’t control a bad Cop … But, together we may be able to hold them accountable the more their poor policing is caught on cell phone video. I couldn’t care less about skin color, but I care a lot about entitled Police that abuse their powers. Their target is “anyone” that doesn’t obey their every command (only a judge has that power).

30. A small suggestion on how to stop a lot of potential police shootings from happening, regardless of race. When a police officer orders you to stop and put your hands over your head, DO IT!!!!! Don’t start to or continue to run!!!!!

31. limakey says:
    October 11, 2017 at 7:20 pm

=========••

Yeah, this isn’t Sparta. It’s a democracy. Take a seat, son.

32. I have no interest in being an nvolved with their nonsense drama. It’s like that old girlfriend that made your life miserable and you finally gave up on her. No going back no matter what they do now.

33. moosejawman says:
    October 11, 2017 at 7:28 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Neither do you…and if you think they are speaking up for those of us that have served then you have bigger issues to deal with because that isn’t even in the same zip code as the truth.

34. How about the new rule be that you don’t have to come out on the field for the National Anthem but if you are out there you must stand and be respectful.

35. Sorry moosejawman, it looks as if that is a response to you when it was intended for the guy you responded to.

36. The anthem is a tune of a British drinking song. The lyrics were written by an opponent of abolitionists (i.e. slavery defender) who tried to put a young black man to death over trumped up charges–and written when African Americans were still to be enslaved for decades. Then it was enshrined as the anthem in the early 20th Century when women could still not vote.

It has become a false idol, now a diversion for a draft dodger that has been elected commander in chief.

The “shut up and play” crowd would have fit in well as slaveowners. It’s okay for you dark folks to dance awhile, but then get back in your place.

Don’t feel sorry for the NFL. I found it undependable to take military dollars to host patriotic displays and flyovers. When you lack substantial reasons to represent true American ideals of freedom, you create idols and try to demand others worship them blindly.

37. This was a nothing issue until Donald saw an opportunity to take over. Or was it Steve Bannons idea perhaps, he seems quicker with a dark side for this kind of thing.

Trump turned a protest by a few players about police injustice with hardly anybody noticing and Kaep out of the league, into somehow they are all SOB’s completely disrespecting the flag and being unpatriotic and hating the military.

I want my football back! It has somehow become all about Trump…so done with this clownshow. Its ruining my vibe.

If I leave the NFL(won’t happen) it will be because it has somehow become all political and about Trump. Certainly not because of a couple players sitting during the national anthem.

This only got all crazy lately when Trump opened his mouth about it calling them all SOBs.

38. limakey says:
    October 11, 2017 at 7:20 pm
    _______________________________________________________

By your definition I have ‘served’ as you put it, although I honestly abhor that as a stand alone term because it sounds like I brought you a drink. I also can’t abide “Thank you for your service” when it is said by someone that hasn’t been in combat and no one that ever has been would say it. I came home to protesters burning the flag, spitting on men in uniform and calling us baby killers. Neither the protesters or the backlashers speak for me. You do not know me and you certainly do not speak for me, please do not presume to say who does as you have no right to. Thank you.

39. Remind me when they vocalized their concerns? They keep kneeling and saying there are issues they want people to be aware of but still no press releases or interviews or newspaper ads or talkshow circuits.

Hmm, seems like they are aimlessly “protesting” because it’s the hip thing to do.

40. People booing during the anthem ares um, just like the players! People not taking their hats off or placing their hand over their hearts are scum snd should be ejected! This once was and I guessis still the greatest country on earth and everyone should be glad to be here! Quit whining and abet the law and respect the country that offers so much or leave please. Football used to be fun, but it’s not anymore. Thanks!!

41. I always love the anonymous keyboard jockey that declares “I served this country”, followed by, “I support people who kneel or sit during the anthem!”

Sorry – but I don’t believe you are who you say you are, and believe it’s just another case of stolen valor… …I call bs.

42. Most people that served and actually spent time in “Forward Areas” don’t really care to talk about it and those that “served” and make sure everybody knows they served usually didn’t spend any time in actual combat operations.
    I for one am very grateful everyday for the Flag for obvious reasons and I’ll let you figure out the rest.

The “Protest” loses for most people because all they see is disrespect of the Flag
    and if you ask the players that protest why ?…….they all have different reasons so it makes one wonder what is really their point ?

43. Remember when people could actually talk to each other reasonably and the President didn’t get into Twitter wars like a 12-year-old? Social media will be the death of us all or sanity at the very least.

44. Man, lot of hate for the President. I’m guessing you don’t have any money in the stock market because this guy has been a lightening rod for my 401k!

45. markg5wagon says:

And…

ctbarryjr says:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Because I don’t share your opinions – I’m not a fan? You don’t get to make that decision.

I’ve been a fan all my life. I’m a season ticket holder and have been for well over a decade. I used to attend a few games per season before that.

I own multiple jerseys, hats and shirts.

None of my team’s players has knelt, so I have no vitriol towards my team.

But because of the kneelers – I have stopped watching all NFL games that do not have my team playing in them. I have not bought any NFL merchandise this year, and don’t know if I will ever buy any again.

As a huge NFL fan, it was not unusual for me to watch 2 or 3 games on Sunday, MNF and TNF.

Not anymore. And I’m not alone.

It’s obvious that many here are like me. They are still fans of the game, but there interest in the games that their respective teams aren’t playing in has changed.

The NFL and the players will be seeing this issue seriously affecting their revenue streams. DirecTV has been refunding Sunday Ticket subscriptions, NFL apparel sales are down, advertisers are looking for refunds based on the drop in viewership.

I’m speaking with my wallet – that’s a voice that I know will be heard.

Go ahead and be keyboard warriors and ignore the facts if you wish.

46. > The the two man clown show is hemorrhaging cash as they speak.
    > A lot of fans are gone for good and a lot more have one foot out the door.

If the 2012 lockout didn’t kill the NHL, this “protest” will hardly kill the NFL. At the end of the day, the players are employees and the league will simply order them to stand during the anthem or risk losing game checks.

47. Amazing that in football you are taught to stand for the kickoff. But now every kid is being taught to kneel for are national anthem. And us people that think kneeling is wrong are the ones that have are priorities all wrong. Can you say private school and baseball for my son.