Kraft: Trump remarks were “a little inflammatory and inappropriate”

Getty Images

Three weeks ago, President Trump expressed hope that an NFL owner will respond to a player kneeling for the national anthem by saying, “Get that son of a bitch off the field.” One of those owners, who also counts President Trump as a friend, previously called the remarks disappointing.

More recently, Patriots owner Robert Kraft expanded on his beliefs.

“I think there were some comments made about what our young men were doing that were a little inflammatory and inappropriate, and I thought I had to speak out,” Kraft told the BBC, via CBS Boston. “And I spoke to the team and I told them that they were free to do what they thought was correct. . . .

“The greatest enemy in sport is division from within. And I personally feel it’s very important to respect our flag and our anthem. But I also respect the right of people in this country to make statements or protests peacefully, in a way that’s appropriate to them.”

At a time when the NFL may be planning to provide the players with an alternate platform for raising social concerns while also requiring them to stand for the anthem, Kraft doesn’t sound like an owner who would support a mandate to stand. His voice instead could emerge as a counter to Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, who has made it clear that his players will stand for the anthem or sit on the bench.

36 responses to “Kraft: Trump remarks were “a little inflammatory and inappropriate”

1. Bob Kraft is personal friends with the world’s greatest terrorist and Apartheid state leader, Benjamin Netanyahu. Why don’t the Marxist SJW players ever call him out on that?

2. Kraft and Trump are also close friends. Trump vistited with Kraft after his wife’s passing.

It is OK to have differing views. Dissenting opinions / viewpoints lead to better decisions and actions. If we all thought the same way, how could we ever know we are headed down the wrong path?

3. Not nearly as “inflammatory and inappropriate” as the players actions or or the NFL’s lack of appropriate response. Trump is doing what must be done, and that is too clearly convey to the NFL that they will literally pay out-of-pocket by continuing to defame America. I haven’t watched an NFL game since the week the players nationally kneeled & I will continue to boycott games until they all choose to appropriately stand 7 respect our Country. Personally, I hope every player kneeling loses their job…

4. Lying SOB…….He did not want a mutiny by the players to ruin his bank roll so he allowed them to do what they wanted. No Balls when it came to doing the right thing so he blamed Trump. I am 70 years old and have always stood for the National Anthem and placed my right hand over my heart. It is the right thing to do…..

5. Mark,

Your big government fantasy world is sorely out of touch with capitalism.

You love big government. We get it. Real Americans, who believe this is a great country, are tired of D.C. politicians telling successful businessmen how to run their businesses.

Your kind needs to learn how to keep government’s nose out of privately run businesses.

6. You know what’s good for inflammation? Moving to another country.

Players are using their workplace to kneel during the national anthem. So far I’ve seen no evidence of any of these players doing anything except kneeling.

“MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE”!!!

Will the real men of this country please stand up! Truth be told we are standing up and Trump is our voice. Don’t like it, leave! Cause my teams collective pocketbook weighs ten times that of the players and owners. And money is the factor that brings the NFL to its knees. That’s the position they’ll be in, begging for viewers, if the do t get their “act” together.

7. mark4steelers says:
    October 13, 2017 at 3:02 pm

——————————————————————————-

You won’t be missed.

8. jbaxt says:
    October 13, 2017 at 3:07 pm
    You know what’s good for inflammation? Moving to another country.

“MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE”!!!

——————————————————————————

You leave

9. Mr Trump can go to hell.

Amendment I. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

10. mark4steelers says:
    October 13, 2017 at 3:02 pm

~~~~~

Why isn’t he “doing what needs to be done” on the dozens of much more important issues facing the world and the USA?

11. October 13, 2017 at 3:07 pm
    You know what’s good for inflammation? Moving to another country.

“MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE”!!!

——————————————————————————

You leave

So your voice is the 5 time draft dodger who was too good to serve his country is your voice? Dude it’s not the voice of a man of principle.

12. “Kraft doesn’t sound like an owner who would support a mandate to stand.”

Nor should he since his team didn’t have any kneelers before Trump’s tweets started.
    Unlike more than 2/3’s of NFL owners Kraft is a true self made billionaire (Jones Blank, Bisciotti, Jones, Bowlen, Khan, Ross, Allen and Snyder are the others) he didn’t get there being stupid. Just because the President set out some gasoline and matches doesn’t mean Kraft is going to get caught up in the NFL’s communal rush to set things on fire.

13. Just mention the NFL’s tax-exempt status, and the flurry that emits from the NFL is frankly comical! I feel that all of this corruption, trying to be PC, & letting the inmates run the asylum, is rapidly heading to the NFL’s demise, and they will NOT recover! The owners’ are walking a very thin line. but most do not appear to be in tune with their fans. The ones’ who are, know on which side their bread is buttered…..

14. President Trump is the parent who comes home and breaks up a teenage keg party. Some of these owners, the media, and others are the parents that let their kids go to that party just so they don’t have to deal with an angry teenager throwing a temper tantrum. I mean, who doesn’t want to be the “cool” parent, until of course you realize you’ve lost control. Some of you know exactly what I’m talking about, the rest will learn in time.

15. brendafortheboyz says:
    October 13, 2017 at 3:53 pm

—————————————————————————–

The league office surrendered its tax exempt status in 2015. The individual teams were never tax exempt.

16. I believe very strongly in the right to free speech. I have no problem with the peaceful protests the players are doing. I am more impressed with those players who are also doing something in the community.

What we do need to remember is that the NFL teams are for profit businesses. The “rights” of the players are collectively bargained. If one of the players took a knee because he felt Harvey Weinstein was being unfairly accused, the NFL would likely punish him. I would bet many of the people championing the current knee takers would then applaud the NFL in that case. My point is that so much of what this country has become is a nation of those who express support so long as people believe exactly as they do. They then attack those who disagree.

And the President, leading the charge on the attack of the private citizen for expressing views that he disagrees with is also troubling. It should bother all of us (even if we agree with his particular views).

At the end of the day, we should treasure our right to protest and right to free speech understanding that there may be real consequences for our choice to exercise those rights.

17. @Patriot1

You’ve posted the 1st amendment several times.

Now would you please READ it and COMPREHEND it.

Your many posts clearly show you don’t understand the 1st amendment and it’s getting old having you post words you don’t understand.

18. Anyone paying attention could see the whole kneeling for the Anthem was going away on its own. By that, I mean a compromise was already made. Instead of sitting it out completely the players took a knee, placed a hand over their heart and participated. It wasn’t perfect, but it was becoming common and behind the scenes, players were working with the NFL in conjunction with the community. Progress was being made. Then comes Trump who loves attention and division, because that is how he made his life from an early age. He hijacked the narrative and made it into something it was not. If people think the players kneeling don’t support the military they’re fools and Trump is playing them for it. Trump is actually trying to make this Country betray itself by trying to stamp out the 1st ammendment.

19. commentawaitingdeletion says:

“Kraft doesn’t sound like an owner who would support a mandate to stand.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree that Kraft doesn’t need to force his team to stand, because they aren’t kneeling. But the Patriots aren’t the only team that hasn’t.

What you posted is also accurate for my Minnesota Vikings. They haven’t knelt and their owner is just as much a “self made billionaire” as Kraft is.

Zygi Wilf took over a small part of his fathers business (4 shopping centers in New Jersey) and grew it to the point where his current net worth is $5.3 billion.

Kraft took over his father-in-law’s packaging company and also has done well for himself.

20. Some people don’t want a “compromise” on the national anthem. For some of us, placing a hand over your heart while kneeling will never be acceptable. You stand, you face the flag. Helmet in left hand, right hand over the heart. If they are not all doing that 100%, the issue was never going away on it’s own. And please for the 1,000th time, employer rules can supercede your 1st amendment rights, if they find the detrimental to their business, or can prove loss of income or revenues. This clearly fits that criteria, to a T.

21. ***EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS POST***

mediasloppy says:
    October 13, 2017 at 5:07 pm
    ———————————————————————————
    Simply put and SPOT ON.

Drumph is a fool, playing his lemmings for the fools that they are.

22. internetcommenter7 says:
    October 13, 2017 at 3:30 pm
    jbaxt says:
    October 13, 2017 at 3:07 pm
    You know what’s good for inflammation? Moving to another country.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You know what else is inflammatory? Forced patriotism. You know what nations have mandatory patriotism? North Korea. I’ll help you pack.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

“MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE”!!!

——————————————————————————

Real men? You wouldn’t last ten minutes in the neighborhoods where we grew up. The poverty some of these young men experienced would crush your soul. Football and the N.F.L gave them a place to stay positive, excel at something bigger than themselves. Good owners like Bob Kraft know the truth surrounding the player’s personal lives.

The voice of President Trump? The same voice who said “and some are good people” for the alt right and neo-Nazi hate festival in Charlottesville? I wish N.F.L owners had stood up against Trump and that statement.

If you don’t want to watch football, don’t. It’s you right to get together with friends and watch football. Or counter protest against it. But if you don’t want to be involved do us a favor. Start by taking your armchair patriotism to another forum other than a football blog. And stop the attack on the First Amendment just because you don’t like the way people express themselves.

Now, about that game on Sunday!!!

23. rcali: Drumph is the parent buying the kegs while making inappropriate comments and advances directed at the females in attendance.

“You can do whatever you want, grab their _ _ _ _ _.”

Drumph is a fool.

24. I took an oath of enlistment for the Marines. The first sentence of the pledge was to uphold the Constitution. I still consider it a sacred oath. All you arm chair quarterbacks have turned into arm chair patriots. You ask players to help the community. Most players take the one day they have off to exactly that. The donate their time to the United Way or their personal foundations. If you weren’t a fair weather fan you might volunteer with them and get to meet the players.

As a fellow Vet I admire your stance and understanding of the dynamic of this issue. First off thanks for your service. As a white man I do not know what these athletes grew up with, but having worked in the service industry I worked/managed their hard working mothers. The oppression has many forms some subtle some fatal nonetheless oppression. It’s high time people separate the issue into its components and realize both sides are right but unwilling to listen. It’s the fate of our country…millions of phones….but nobody wants to talk? Sad

25. I never thought I’d side with Jerry Jones over Kraft. Geez, what’s the world come to? NFL….stands for No Fans Left.

*************************************************************************
    mullman76 says:
    October 13, 2017 at 5:49 pm

“You can do whatever you want, grab their _ _ _ _ _.”

Drumph is a fool.
    ********************************************

Look at these guys….getting their news and their political “take” from a foreign comedian like John Oliver. The guy isn’t even good at his own job, making people laugh, let alone criticizing others. The FACT of the matter is that Trump said “when you’re a star they let you do it…” and as we have witnessed with the outpouring of women virtually raped by huge Democrat Party supporter and friend of the Clinton’s and Obama’s Harvey Weinstein, what Trump said is 100% true. There are women that will let you do this if they can get ahead by doing it. I’m not condoning Weinstein’s behavior, but these women should have come forward sooner, rather than stand by while more and more women were allegedly abused. They are only coming forward because they no longer fear his power, and thus are not willing to make the exchange they made before, which was basically an exchange based on money, or the ability to get money. They are not “brave” or “hero’s.”
    Had a man stood by and allowed abuse to continue he would be branded as a coward by our fem-centric society. The point though is Trump, as he usually is, was right on point, but wrong on message, and by that I mean he delivers the message in a way that is hard for most people to hear. I’m fine with it because I see the long term benefit. However, in this era of fake news and blatant and naked political agendas being carried out in the media, it takes a forceful and blunt personality like his to get the message across. At least with Trump I know what he is thinking. The lies, damn lies, and BS from the Democrats and their media army are going to be the ruin of this country if left unchecked. Just look what it is doing to the NFL…aka The No Fans Left League…

26. gtodriver says:
    October 13, 2017 at 5:22 pm
    ________________________________________________

You should do a little more fact checking. Kraft’s parents were middle class. He did not take over his “his father-in-law’s packaging company” his father-in-law was the president not the owner of the company they both worked for and Kraft eventually purchased in a LEVERAGED buyout. Wilf’s father was a self made multi millionaire and Wilf certainly has grown the business, even if he did some of it with some reprehensible state civil racketeering tactics, but he is by no reasonable definition self made. He was born on third base.

27. Here you go, hardliners, of supporting the troops (who Trump says his stance is all about and those kneeling disrespect…) Donald Trump sat and laughed with Fox News host Sean Hannity as the “Retreat” bugle call was played. Tradition dictates that members of the military and civilian leadership stand at attention to respect the U.S. flag during the solemn ceremony.
    Trump’s act of disrespect occurred during an interview that happened in a hangar at the Air National Guard base in Pennsylvania.
    Trump referred to the bugle call as a “nice sound,” and asked Hannity if they were playing it “in honor of his ratings.”
    As the official Army website notes, playing “Retreat” is “one of the oldest traditions in the U.S. Army, which dates back to the Revolutionary War.” Playing the song is used “to signal the end of the duty day and pay respect to the nation’s flag.”
    Trump disrespected the flag the same evening he returned to the subject of black NFL players protesting police brutality by kneeling during the anthem. He told Hannity, “You cannot disrespect our country, our flag, our anthem, you cannot do that.”
    Trump did it.

28. Seeing as it was just Trumpski who made the remarks, Kraft barely got his feathers ruffled. If a democrat had said the same things he would have had a coronary.

29. And stop the attack on the First Amendment just because you don’t like the way people express themselves

The First Amendment prevents government from suppressing free speech. It says nothing about be able to protest the flag while at your place of employment.