Panthers fan arrested, charged with simple assault for punch in stands

Getty Images

A Panthers fan has been arrested for punching another fan at last night’s game.

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department announced that it has arrested Kyle Adam Maraghy and is taking him to Mecklenburg County Jail. He is facing a charge of simple assault.

In a video that has been widely circulated on social media today, Maraghy was caught on tape punching another fan, leaving him with a bloody face. According to witnesses, Maraghy and the fan he punched had a verbal dispute because Maraghy was standing in front of the victim and obstructing his view.

The incident led to increased talk among NFL fans online that a few violent and unruly fans ruin the experience from the vast majority of fans who just want to enjoy a game. The league office and the Panthers have both said they’re concerned about the incident and committed to security at the stadium.

79 responses to “Panthers fan arrested, charged with simple assault for punch in stands

1. Hope this idiot gets a taste of his own medicine while in jail.

Your 5 minutes of infamy will follow you for the rest of your life…good luck ever finding another job.

2. And likely banned from the stadium for life. It’s a cowardly punch, but that’s all it is in the eyes of the law simple assault. If they threw the book at every guy or gal who threw a drunken sucker punch at a bar or club in any given city on any given night, the jails would be more overflowing than they are.

3. Getting off easy like The Tarhees, that is justice in North Carolina for you. He should have gotten at least aggravated assault and the Tar Holes should have lost two banners and 100s of wins.

4. Simple assault doesn’t sound like enough but I wonder if that is just the name of the offense and its a pretty harsh. I hope it’s a felony, I’ve heard of felony assault.

5. “Simple” assault? Ok, how about instead of jail time we allow the victim to ‘simply assault’ him back? You know, 3 or 4 unobstructed punches to the face, and we call it even.

6. Nice to see the Eagles play a game where the other team’s fans walk away with the bad reputation….for once

7. 10 years ago my wife and I used to follow the team and go to one away game a year. After near fights & arguments stopped going. The possible trouble was not worth the fun/entertainment the city offered. Shame as it was several different cities, ie New Orleans, San Francisco, Arizona, Kansas City. Oddly, the only game we did not have a problem at was Oakland. Go figure!!!

8. A more suitable punishment would be for the old guy to select someone to hit the punk while restrained a chair as many times as the was hit. Then he does his time. Also it would be streamed on Facebook”

9. Same fans that get into arguments and fights over a game is probably also the same people who is telling the players to stop protesting because they’re paid to play a ‘game’.

10. If you’re charged with simple assault in North Carolina, you are facing a Class 2 misdemeanor, which carries a maximum penalty of 60 days in jail and a $1,000 fine. Depending on your criminal record, you could be eligible to participate in a community-service program that will result in the dismissal of your case. In other words, no record.

Meanwhile, what about the victim? I hope he sues the pants off Kyle Adam Maraghy.

11. This was despicable and I am glad they caught the coward. But this is no way a sign of what Panthers fans are. A lot of comments today have bashed the atmosphere at BoA, but we had been attends games there since they built the place and I have attended well over 120 games in person there and I have seen something like that happen maybe 5 times. 99% of fans just want to show up, have their team play well and go home happy.

12. dickshotdogs says:
    October 13, 2017 at 6:37 pm

I’ve noted his name. I live in the Charlotte area.
    —————————————————————————————-
    What are thinking? A little “Equalizer” action?

13. He hit an old man, sucker punched him then threw 4 more punches any of which could have killed the guy. He deserves jail time and anything less is a mockery.

14. If this clown is judged by the same standards the refs used on his hero Newton in the game he’ll be sentenced to 6 months at a 5 star resort on the French Riviera. All expenses paid with a substantial per diem stipend for spending money.

15. pound30 says:
    October 13, 2017 at 6:30 pm
    —————————–
    Felony assault, also known as mayhem would only result from life threatening or permanent injury. Beating someone to a bloody mess is literally treated the same under the law as a slap to the face.

16. udontknowjacku says:
    October 13, 2017 at 6:19 pm

seems he will be getting off to easy
    —————————————–
    udontknow got it right. Punches like that are not simple assault. One punch like that could easily maim or kill someone. A clenched fist can be a very deadly weapon.
    Lock the sob up for deadly violence.

17. Not that it excuses the assault (it absolutely does not) but it’s worth noting that it is being widely reported, including by Sports Illustrated, that the punch was instigated by the older man calling the younger man a spic. So maybe hold off on breaking out the violins.

18. I was at the Carolina Bills game earlier this year. After seeing this video I am not surprised. Carolina fans are unruly, rude and love to talk crap.

19. Interesting rap sheet for a 26 year old. His name and address are public record. I guess social media will help make his life a living hell for the foreseeable future. I hope they publish his girlfriends name too.

20. What bugs me is that the older man clearly didnt want to fight. That kid is nothing but a punk. I guarantee you he wouldnt stand up to someone bigger than him.

21. Whatever verbal back and forth led up to it; it’s completely uncalled for and the younger guy needs to be prosecuted to the fullest extent. If this one moment defines the rest of his life, that’s sad, but deserved.

I’ve been to one NFL game in my life and it shouldn’t be taken for granted. That guy should be blackballed forever for that.

On the whole ‘obstructing the view’, thing…. I get why the older gentleman might have been complaining. The game I went to; you had to stand to see anything because Everyone in front of you had to stand because Everyone in front of them had to stand, etc etc. Just sit down and enjoy the game, everybody! I get that everyone jumps up for big moments to cheer for, but at least sit down during the darn commericial breaks for goodness sake. And most of all; consider the people around you (i.e. be considerate) You aren’t the only one in the stadium whose there so see the game and you’re not entitled to anything more than walking through the gate.

22. The judge should sentence him to go to an eagles game in philly wearing that same jersey and companied by that same loud mouth female.

23. The simple assault charge was the charge used on the arrest warrant. The DA can add to that with other charges. I would hope so, that idiot needs serious time.

24. contender21open says:
    October 13, 2017 at 7:02 pm
    Simple assault?

Here in Florida, that would assault and battery.

—————————————————————————-

25. At one point my son and I would try to get to a road game or 2 at different venues each year with an eye towards getting to every city eventually. We had a lot of great times over the years with New England and New Orleans being among the best as far as being hospitable but surprisingly Buffalo being hands down tops as an out of town fan taking in the game day experience. We were invited to share in half a dozen tail gate parties just getting from our rental car to the gate and boy they do it up right. Unfortunately after absolutely miserable and somewhat threatening experiences in Pittsburgh and Minnesota and a downright unsafe one in Oakland the joy was sucked out of it. Now we make a summer pilgrimage to some minor league baseball parks and bring my grandson as well.

26. “I’ve noted his name. I live in the Charlotte area.”

If one is diligent, one can find his home address.

27. what a one sided story. gotta here both sides.

newtons second law says that every action has a equal opposite reaction. therefor the victim is actually just as much to blame for this situation as the puncher since his hard skull hit that guy in the fist.

then again this is carolina where newtons take laws for granted.

28. dickshotdogs
    Oct 13, 2017, 3:37 PM PDT
    I’ve noted his name. I live in the Charlotte area.

——————————————

Oooo, you gonna go get him, slugger? I’m pretty sure you won’t, based simply on the fact you thought the post above was a good idea. Though if you do, you’re clearly an idiot. Cradle of Civilization down there in Charlotte. My God, your city is garbage.

29. At one point my son and I would try to get to a road game or 2 at different venues each year with an eye towards getting to every city eventually. We had a lot of great times over the years with New England and New Orleans being among the best as far as being hospitable but surprisingly Buffalo being hands down tops as an out of town fan taking in the game day experience. We were invited to share in half a dozen tail gate parties just getting from our rental car to the gate and boy they do it up right. Unfortunately after absolutely miserable and somewhat threatening experiences in Pittsburgh and Minnesota and a downright unsafe one in Oakland the joy was sucked out of it. Now we make a summer pilgrimage to some minor league baseball parks and bring my grandson as well.

Beware this post is a fake and shameful about something this serious. This is a Pat’s fan posing as a Phin fan…notice the favorable on NE, but not Pittsburgh. Shame that fans need to be fans first instead of caring about people.

30. assault is classified in one of two ways in North Carolina.
    a. The first way is through an overt act,fear of physical injury.
    b.second way is through an obvious show of violence by an ability to inflict injury.

Simple Assault: Elements-A person is guilty if they:Commit an assault on another.

If a person is found guilty of simple assault, they have committed a Class 2 misdemeanor under N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-33(a).

* Class 2 Misdemeanors. The sentence for a Class 2 misdemeanor is 1 to 60 days of active, intermediate, or community punishment, with the maximum penalty being 60 days in jail and a fine of $1,000.

Going to get-off, way too easily!

31. There are an awful lot of people who really don’t give a damn about being considerate and courteous to others.

32. Unless the victim were black, in which case it would just be “standing your ground.’See Martin, Travyon

Oh,you forgot to mention Martin, Travyon was beating the guys head into the pavement and got capped in the process. If he would have just gone home he’d still be alive eating his Skittles

33. Jeeez…….Viking fans are going to have to attend games with their attorneys. They love picking needless fights.

34. But you know if you are at a sporting event and someone stands in front of you for the whole game or even some of it it can be a very messed up situation just because of incidents like this one. I mean what do you do, would love to ask them to please sit down so I can see what I paid for, but on the other hand it’s a sporting event people get excited some like to stand. Maybe there should be a designated standing section or 2..

35. The least of his worries are legal issues trust me, when your name is publicly attached to this your life will be hell as it should be! Enjoy tough guy..

36. The girlfriend/wife should also be facing charges as she seem to be the instigator in the video.

They both should be in jail. But my guess is 6-month probation for him, nothing for her.

37. Crazy thing is, if the reports are true about what was said back and forth before the cowardly punches, the younger guy may have had the older gentleman kicked out of the stadium. Given the supposedly increased focus on “removing racism from the NFL”

But once you lose your cool and start being violent, all that goes out the window. Lock this coward up.

38. “One Panthers’ fan who took the team’s anthem of “keep pounding” too literally.”

Did you see he has a full forearm color tattoo with Keep Pounding? There’s a site that took screenshots of all their social media pages before they pulled them down.

39. I’m guessing the victim was hoping Maraghy would have ‘taken a knee’ during the entire game.

40. We have more people occupying jail cells and prison cells than any other country in the world. It isn’t even close. Nobody should be locked up for non-violent crimes. Putting human beings in a cage should be reserved for those who physically harm others. Like this guy.

41. And none of the fans in that section held onto him and got the cops? They let him leave. Another person stated he saw the guy spit at the old man. Folks, every stadium has security and notes the phone number to call. Security is all over the stadium.

42. Jail time and then banish him from future game.
    I have been stuck behind selfish “A” holes like this one, BUT the lout was bothering others.
    He was reported to ushers who contacted police.
    He was kicked out of game

43. If you think about it, isn’t it kind of baffling that this stadium, and probably every stadium, doesn’t have a policy on standing during the game?

I don’t care what it is, either they should say “fans can stand whenever they want” or they can say “fans are expected to sit down except for big plays, etc.”

This kind of incident could be avoided if the team just laid out a rule one way or another. Otherwise, you have the whole “I paid for the ticket, I can do what I want” vs. “you should consider others” argument over and over again.

44. There should be plenty of lawyers wanting to represent the victim in a civil suit. If the jury watches the video as evidence, the victim will win a lot of money from the hot-headed puncher. Perhaps this should be a lesson to all the other hot-headed tough guys out there. Not only will you regret your actions, but you’ll pay dearly… for years.

45. scoreatwill says:
    October 13, 2017 at 6:31 pm
    ———————————————————————————————
    I’ve been to a few Oakland games myself as an outside fan and never had any issues compared to other stadiums. Of course there’s the playful banter that comes with wearing an enemy jersey during the games, but never anything serious. I think those fans get a bad rap.

46. Put the sob in prison 5 years. I bet he learns not to go around punching people in the face.

Not that he’s a Carolina fan bur there’s guys just like him in every stadium.

47. Simple assault? He could have blinded the guy. And the NFL is wondering why I stay home to watch games? REALLY? I saw the footage. He got smacked right in the eye and immediately started bleeding.That guy should have gotten one to two years easily.

48. All these people saying this isn’t ‘simple assault’ have never been in a fight. The guy is a total loser and a coward, but lets not overstate what happened.

49. Nofoolnodrool says:
    October 13, 2017 at 7:51 pm
    —————-

Beware of trolls who not only harbor grudges against people that have corrected their falsehoods but nurse them like they are their children. It is a shame when some ‘fans’ need to be bitter trolls that keep a Nixon worthy enemies list. You are painfully transparent and small. Here’s the exchange that has the troll turning a 50+ year Phins fan into the opposite:
    finnymcphin says:
    October 10, 2017 at 6:39 pm
    Nofoolnodrool says:
    October 10, 2017 at 5:17 pm
    The Steelers play in a division where someone else has gone to Super Bowl in the last 45;years….
    ——————-

Tweaking the Pats homers with nonsense doesn’t help the cause any. In the past 45 years the AFC East has sent a team besides the Patriots to the Super Bowl 8 times. The AFC North has sent a team besides Pittsburgh 4 times. In the Belichick era the Patriots are .782 against the AFC East and .828 against the AFC North, numbers don’t lie… Maybe instead of posting nonsense about a division that has the Bungles and Brownies to wipe their feet on you could recognize both your team and division hasn’t exactly done it’s share. As a 50+ year fan of another team in the AFC East I can safely say the fans of the other teams in it would appreciate some help with the heavy lifting.

50. Simple assault is the lesser assault charge. The more serious is aggravated assault, generally when there is a weapon involved, or for other extenuating circumstances, or assault on a police officer while in performance of their lawful duties. Agg-assault is a felony, simple assault is not.
    Due to the nature of the attack by this individual, it seems like aggravated assault would be the more appropriate charge. If he was charged with simple assault, he’s getting off easy, as least as far as criminal charges are concerned. Too bad.