Ugly fan violence at Panthers game caught on video

Getty Images

An ugly instance of fan-on-fan violence during Thursday night’s game in Carolina was caught on video and posted to social media, raising concerns about safety at NFL games.

In the video, uploaded to Instagram shortly after the game ended, a man and woman can be seen standing and yelling at the man sitting behind them. The man standing suddenly punches the man sitting in the face. The couple then runs off as the man who was sitting covers up his face and wipes blood away.

According to the person who uploaded the video, the man and woman were standing for the entire game and the man sitting behind them complained that they were obstructing his view. The man who committed the assault allegedly spewed homophobic slurs and profanity toward the victim. Both men were wearing Panthers gear.

NFL spokesman Joe Lockhart said this morning that the league office had just been made aware of the incident.

“We are aware of it and are in contact with club security,” Lockhart said. “We have robust security plans in place at all of our games. . . . We take all of these very seriously.”

The NFL needs to take such incidents even more seriously. Too often, social media on the morning after NFL games includes videos of fistfights and assaults.

116 responses to “Ugly fan violence at Panthers game caught on video

1. It’s just not violence either. During a MNF in Miami we had several drunk Giants fans sitting in others (wrong) seats and refusing to move- puking all over the seats (which took more than 20 minutes to clean up)one drunk fan passed out requiring emergency treatment- all happening in front of me while “trying” to watch the game.

No thanks guys- gave up my season tickets.

2. That punk probably feels like a tough guy after punching a much older man who was sitting down and not defending himself. Whether he gets in legal trouble or not, this will catch up with him. There’s always a bigger bully out there.

3. This article undersells it. I was expecting a quick punch and run, but the man threw four punches and then ran out. Worse than I even thought it would be. Nobody even hit back or anything, guy just put his hands up to defend himself, which makes the barrage of punches worse. Hope the a**hole has fun in jail.

4. Don’t you want to go to an NFL game now… and bring your families?
    —-
    Heck yeah bring your kids. That’s a great lesson for them to see.

“That’s what you look like when you can’t control your emotions. This is what a temper tantrum looks like.”

I wouldn’t go out of my way to show them something like that but I wouldn’t shield them from seeing it either. Unfortunately violence is apart of our culture. They need to be aware of that culture. Like it or not, America isn’t exactly Disneyland.

5. “It’s just not violence either. During a MNF in Miami we had several drunk Giants fans sitting in others (wrong) seats and refusing to move- puking all over the seats (which took more than 20 minutes to clean up)one drunk fan passed out requiring emergency treatment- all happening in front of me while “trying” to watch the game.”

It is dead wrong to behave that way, but not unexpected. Have you seen the Giants play this year?

6. I can’t wait to hear the “Puncher’s” comments now that this went viral-I’m sure something like this: “I’m embarrassed for my actions-anybody who knows me knows that this is outside of my character and I sincerely apologize to the gentleman sitting behind us. I’ve never done anything like this before”.

Good luck buddy!

7. Wow the first shot the guy got in was really solid….you can hear it land even with all the surrounding noise. Hopefully somebody identifies this punk and he is prosecuted.

8. Alcohol is sold at EVERY NFL game….in fact, it’s a mindset leveraged by the corporate partners of each franchise… Why is anyone surprised or appalled?

9. That guy will go to jail and get numerous weeks of anger management classes assigned. Disgraceful.

If I was his employer, I’d be concerned.

Let’s say the man who got punched insulted the girlfriend by name calling. Even if that happened, the response was wrong.

That perp should receive a lifetime ban from the stadium. He’ll get sued too.

10. Even if there wasn’t video of it, there is a great chance they will be located. The victim and witnesses know which seat the assaulter was in, and from there it’s easy to track. Someone is likely losing their season tickets though.

11. Why couldn’t he be one of the Aholes to boycott the NFL…totally uncalled for, guy never was a threat to him and he hit several times….dude and his loud girlfriend need to be arrested and banned from all NFL stadiums…why is it always a female in the middle of these stadium fights?

12. You think alcohol was involved? Been to Panther games many times. Strange crowd for football. They should stick to NASCAR.

13. Guy in the white jersey needed to put the punk in a headlock and squeezed the crap out of him until police arrive. How do people not stop that little weasel from leaving? Geez…..

14. Growing up, I’d see fights in the stands pretty regularly at Pats games. Nowadays, though, you hardly see anything, much less a fight. They run a scroll giving people a number to text about unruly fans, and I’ve seen security remove people for far less than that disturbing video. Plus the threat of losing your season tickets if you misbehave – or your guests misbehave – seems to be an effective deterrent.

A few years back there were loud mouth drunken idiots behind us who constantly berated any opposing fans nearby. They didn’t do anything violent, but they annoyed everyone around them, and they were always very drunk. It took a season or two, but enough complaints about them and BAM, they lost their seats for good.

I think the NFL experience is much safer inside the stadiums nowadays, but its also way more expensive.

15. What a total piece of garbage. Don’t hit people. Especially don’t hit people who are sitting down talking to you. The victim was not posturing or posing a threat at all. The attacker is a terrible human. I hope he does time. People should know better.

16. I had the exact same problem (without the violence) at a Giants/Panthers game. Not saying it’s a Panthers’ issue; just interesting it happened there also – I’m sure it goes on everywhere. A guy and his buddy stood for pretty much the entire game, despite repeated requests/pleas to sit down. And it wasn’t just my friend and I; other people asked him to sit down too. he was very, very drunk and took the “I have season tickets and a PSL and can do what I please” attitude”. I even texted the security team about it who simply replied “thanks, we’re monitoring the situation” but did nothing. They ended up leaving at the beginning of the 4th quarter, but only because they were too drunk to stand anymore at that point.

And the NFL wonders why attendance is down at games. Think I’m paying $150 for a ticket only to have some drunken lout ruin it for me? No, thank you. Will continue to watch the games, in high-def, from the comfort of my own home.

17. Just awful. The last straw for me occurred 9 years ago. A Cardinals fan came within ten feet of my then 11 year old son and flipped both his middle fingers at my child who was happily and innocently wearing his Falcons gear. I’ve never been to an NFL stadium since.
    Please continue to follow this story. I’m interested to know if the punk gets arrested.

18. The Dodgers were found liable for $13.9M of the $18M Bryan Stow jury verdict for failure to provide adequate security, so yeah, I would say these teams might want to pay a little more attention.

19. He won’t really need those tickets anymore since he will be serving time for A&B. That’s 60 days. If he has priors it could be 150 days. The season will be over by then. Find him and drop the hammer judge!

20. Living near Charlotte I have been to many Panther games and as Raiders fan I can say the fanbase is one of the worst as far as attending games. During Raider games there over the years rocking my gear I have been insulted, cursed and goaded to fight by drunken Rednecks. Even when I wasn’t there to see the Raiders and not wearing my gear I have seen this done to opposing fans. Most of those Panther fans are UNC fans so it makes sense, two horrible fanbases mixed into one. Charlotte and the triangle area up there are nice cities but it’s the small town trash that tarnish the fanbase. Country comes to town and downs three 24oz Millers and it’s on. Just glad Kentucky doesn’t have a pro football team, could you imagine?

21. How people just sat there and watched that happen is beyond me. The America I grew up in the assailant would have been flat on his back choking on his teeth until the police arrived. Sucker punching and old man and then running away smh…c’mon people! If you were within arms reach of that assault, shame on you for sitting on your hands.

22. Honest question…..I have been in the same situation where an elderly couple wanted fans in front of them to sit down including myself so they could see. We were field level, so I personally think there is a difference in standing field level than up in the nose bleeds like this incident, but curious as to thoughts on this. I personally think if you are sitting field level your butt better be ready to stand. Especially, for important downs, big plays, etc….which is what I did and sat down at other times, but I also don’t think someone should go to a game planning on sitting the whole time. Thoughts?

23. Nothing says “punk” more than a guy in Panthers jersey, and punching a guy who is sitting down who’s twice his age. Stay classy, Carolina!

24. gobears84 says:
    October 13, 2017 at 10:57 am

1 1 Rate This

—————

Snowflake, weak Millennials.

That’s why.

25. Way too much of a hassle, expense, and battling the idiot factor.

Watching at home… more comfortable, better view, better food, pick your fellow spectators.

Spend the money saved… on an AWESOME TV and SOUND SYSTEM… or two.

26. Oh man, the sound of the impact was brutal. Those were 100% sucker punches. What a coward who has serious anger issues.

27. Michael Toebe says:
    October 13, 2017 at 10:25 am

If I was his employer, I’d be concerned.

That perp should receive a lifetime ban from the stadium. He’ll get sued too.

————–

The forthcoming civil suit should be a slam dunk.

==============

pastorfootball says:
    October 13, 2017 at 10:42 am

————–

The last straw for me was about the same time when I took my then 6-year old son to go watch a “fun” game and in the expensive season ticket section at the 30 or so about 10 rows up a couple of guys couldn’t refrain from incessantly yelling sexually explicit language at opposing players. (as if they’ve never heard it or even care)

Pretty much then decided that was it for submerging my son into the current NFL fan culture. Doesn’t seem as if we lost much as things have simply gone downhill from there with the NFL having turned into sports version of a reality-show/soap-opera combo.

Goodbye NFL ball, hello college ball.

28. Michael Toebe says:
    October 13, 2017 at 10:25 am

If I was his employer, I’d be concerned.

————–

The forthcoming civil suit should be a slam dunk.

==============

pastorfootball says:
    October 13, 2017 at 10:42 am

————–

Goodbye NFL ball, hello college ball.

29. Copious amounts of beer, plus testosterone fueled environment equals idiots running their mouths and fighting. I’ve been to several games pre-season and regular, and there is always some drunks yelling at each other. Usually no fights but I won’t take the kids back until they are older after the last game. I drink, but not like that and they re just too young to be around people that drunk.

The best was a Panther fan and a Falcons fan. The Panther fan (skinny collegr kid) was running his mouth, as we are want to do, kept talking acting like Johnny bad. The Falcon fan finally stood up pulled off his jersey turns out he was like 6’3 and ripped. Panther fan sits back down, and waits for security to walk him out. Panther fans all around applauded when he was taken out and some shook hands with the Falcon fan. No need for broad brushes here the Panthers and most of their fans want a great and safe stadium experience. You put 65000 dunks together you’re bound to get a wanna be that needs to be violent.

30. Is it the brute nature of football?? I’ve been to plenty of basketball and baseball games where an equal amount of, if not more alcohol is consumed and I’ve rarely witnessed this kind of behavior.

31. wafflestomp says:
    October 13, 2017 at 10:49 am
    What a sad and disgraceful display.
    In fact, it reminds me of just a few years ago when Eagle fans threw snowballs at Santa Claus……

LOL! Too funny, wafflestomp!
    Thanks fer the laffs.

32. Looks like the internet already found this guys name, address, etc. And the coward already delted his social media pages.
    Only a matter of time til he gets a knock on his door from the fuzz

33. puntonfirstdown says:
    October 13, 2017 at 11:24 am

This is why we need the death penalty to cover everything except parking tickets.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You’ve clearly never seen how they park in and around Chicago.

34. This is why I stopped using my season ticket. On multiple occasions I have been sitting behind people who insist on standing up at all times or standing up right in the middle of each play, even though no one is obstructing their very good view (40 yard line, 15th row from field). It’s never a season ticket holder who does it, and the person is always completely drunk. Once the guy offered to fight me because I complained about him standing up: I told him that my brother and I have season tickets and pay good money for them and I was not risking losing them to fight, but that if he wanted to meet me anywhere else after the game I would gladly accommodate him (he didn’t take me up on it, surprise surprise). It’s always some yahoo who bought tickets online or from a scalper for a big discount, so if they get drunk and cause a scene at the stadium it’s “not their problem”. I got tired of it, and I don’t go to games anymore.

35. —————————-
    —————————-
    19dead2 says:
    October 13, 2017 at 10:32 am
    —————————-

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your spot-on comment!

36. From a law enforcement perspective, this probably rises to the level of aggravated assault. The perpetrators actions leading up to it (i.e. obstructing the other fans view), and the fact that he punched the victim in the face repeatedly, bloodying him in the process, and had to be pulled off by other fans, and then fled the scene, should make this a very serious charge. I hope this individual can be ID’ed and swiftly arrested.

37. Fans shouldn’t block other fans views. It’s rude and typical of today’s environment.
    ______________________________________

So everyone should just sit down? It’s a football game not a symphony. The video is disgusting, but the idea you should sit during an entire football game is something the team, coaches, franchise and most knowledgeable fans don’t agree with. Have to create a home field advantage.

38. @ jackodn says:
    October 13, 2017 at 10:37 am

—-

Having been to the UK several times over the years and attending some Premier League matches, I can tell you that the hooligan problems (the mega violence in the 70’s and 80’s) have decreased due to the fact that many of the knuckle draggers in the various “firms” were priced out.
    The hooligan brawls rarely go off inside the grounds now.

39. Years ago I was at a Patriots/Miami game at Sullivan Stadium. The group in front of us were all drunk and standing for most of the game. What made it worse was a female in the group was on the shoulders of one of the guys and would periodically flash herself causing all the drunks to become more unruly and obnoxious. My boys were quite young at the time and I wasn’t impressed with her showing off her sagging tattooed ta ta’s. That was the end of me taking my kids to any NFL games. But my point is, if you are there as a serious fan and just want to enjoy the game, all these drunken bums take that enjoyment away and you feel like you’ve just wasted a whole bunch of money.

40. Just go to a Packers home game dressed in another teams colors. You will see what kind of Knuckle Draggers live there! Drunk obnoxious and ready to start a fight..If they arent puking on their shoes!
    Never more.

41. The old guy did a terrible job. His hands were low, no head movement. terrible…

The other guy prolly wouldve chilled after popping him but once he realized nobody was going to stop him, he figured he pop off a few more.

Stay classy Carolina, stay classy…lol

42. $100 tickets, $10 beers, violence in the stands, millionaires complaining about social issues……I can’t imagine why attendance and ratings are down

43. My wife and I went to see the Pats play there a few years ago. As we watched from our end zone seats, a fistfight broke out in the row directly behind us. Apparently, words spoken while under the influence, had precipitated a beer bath which led to the punches being thrown. Unfortunately, in between the endzone warriors was a kid about 11 or 12 years old. His adult supervisor (father, I assume) did his best to protect him, but you could see that this had ruined his game experience. This was only mild in comparison to many of the disturbing occurrences at large crowd events.

44. Stuff like this is why I gave up my tickets a couple of years ago. Seats aren’t made to sit. Standing up on big plays is one thing. Standing for theee hours is dumb. You can make noise, too, without standing.

45. tylawspick6 says:
    October 13, 2017 at 10:53 am
    Who sits down at an NFL game?

They do in LA (at least the fans who bother to go). Makes it easier to play on your cell phone

46. Give me an A. Give me a L. Give me a C. Give a O. Give me a H. Give me a O. Give me a L. What does it spell? ALCOHOL. Trust biggest money make and headache in a stadium. This goes on in every stadium. But the NFL doesn’t want you to see it. He could have killed that man.

47. “We have robust security plans in place at all of our games. . . . We take all of these very seriously.”

Seriously? A bystander taped the violence. The press informed you. Your security was nowhere and did nothing. Robust security plans? How about Busted security plans?

48. Just go to a Packers home game dressed in another teams colors. You will see what kind of Knuckle Draggers live there! Drunk obnoxious and ready to start a fight..If they arent puking on their shoes!
    Never more.

No different than a Vikings game..get over yourselves

49. You mess with the bull, you get the horns. A prime example of why I get worried about taking my family too any game too. Toss in alcohol, it’s very unpredictable… I do not think it is the NFL’s fault, it’s human nature.
    …but the guy who got hit, watch out, that stuff happens all the time.

50. As a long time Bills season ticket holder, this relatively new habit of standing for an entire game, for no reason, is just dumb – and annoying. For most games, it looks like 80% of the people in the lower bowl are standing – for what? We don’t have that problem where we sit because if someone stands to block our view, we call security – they either have to sit, or leave.

51. tylawspick6 says:
    October 13, 2017 at 10:53 am
    Who sits down at an NFL game

You read the comment and it’s easy to see the type of person committing the violence. I stopped going after an experience in Baltimore where fans were fighting ruining the experience for everyone around them. The technology exists to track these people as they enter the venue and prosecute them…..they being said security should be better than the video reveals.

52. The Analytical Kid says:
    October 13, 2017 at 11:10 am
    Michael Toebe says:
    October 13, 2017 at 10:25 am

If I was his employer, I’d be concerned.

That perp should receive a lifetime ban from the stadium. He’ll get sued too.

————–

The forthcoming civil suit should be a slam dunk.

==============

pastorfootball says:
    October 13, 2017 at 10:42 am

————–

Goodbye NFL ball, hello college ball.

***

UHH have you been to a college football game? Its a bunch of under aged, or barely legal drunk kids.

53. This sucks but what is the NFL supposed to do about this? There are 60k people at most NFL games, there will always be at least a few hundred idiots.

54. The internetwebs found him. They doxxed him. He has prior offenses of assault and battery and possession of LSD. Grade A loser!

55. This goes down in every NFL stadium every game. It’s amazing the NFL is even in existence (as they are not protecting the fans). If any business was allowing and, frankly, even encouraging this behavior, they would be shut down (as lawsuits would kill it).

56. “That perp should receive a lifetime ban from the stadium. He’ll get sued too”.
    Lets make that ALL NFL Stadiums, and go another step further Anybody caught inflicting abuse either physical OR Verbal should be banned.
    Sadly this Society has lost much of it’s self control, and manners in general.
    A Society of the “all about me generations” I started to see the difference while working in Retail, people born before the 70’s respect their fellow Man and there is a steady decline after that. Now people will smile until told no, then their REAL personality comes out Prince and Princess who have always gotten what they wanted. SAD.. This Guy AND Woman need to be locked up.

57. Jail and a civil suit for that jerk. He is actually lucky he didn’t get kicked and tumble a few rows down. This kind of stuff is why I don’t go to games any more. Some people are just not fit to be out in public. There is no reason to put hands on someone when you are not defending yourself from PHYSICAL harm. I don’t care what the sitting guy said. The puncher should do some jail time.

58. I had season tix to the Bucs from 1995 – 2009. Cheap seats. After years of seeing weekly fights break out in my section (343), in 2009 a fight broke out where a guy landed in my elderly mom’s lap. That was pretty much it for me. I still go every once in awhile for a single game, but only in the expensive seats that price the white trash out.

59. jackburton408 says:
    October 13, 2017 at 1:26 pm
    The Panthers were able to create a truly authentic NFL experience even the fans can come away with CTE.

That made me literally laugh out loud.

60. I’m surprised the sucker-punch kid is able to hold down the kind of job that can pay for NFL tickets.

The guy he hit isn’t that old at all. I can think of a few guys around his age who would’ve kept scrawny junior busy.

61. I’ve seen some posts suggesting a civil suit is in order, as if this kid likely has anything to collect on.

62. Erik Gainer says:
    October 13, 2017 at 1:37 pm
    Where are people finding who this guy is and his record?

———–
    It’s called the internet, it’s new

63. I don’t see what the big deal is. if the guy didn’t want to be punched then stop harassing the guy for standing. it’s a foot ball game why wouldn’t you want to stand and cheer. if you wanna sit just stay home

64. wow you people are all betas. Ya let’s not bring our families to NFL games cause of one little punch. Guess what bad stuff happens in real life. you can’t run from it all.

65. Snowflake, weak Millennials.

That’s why.

===============

There wasn’t anyone under 50 sitting anywhere near these two guys. You know what millenials are, right?

66. Major props to the guy wearing the away Cam jersey who stopped the jerkoff from hurting the seated guy any further. The jerkoff’s girl even attempted to keep him form stopping her boyfriend. I would say that warrants some sort of penalty for her as well. Hopefully the Panthers do something for the poor guy who got assaulted as well.