Roger Goodell: We did not ask players to commit to standing for the anthem

AP

In the wake of protests drawing headlines across the country, the NFL asked a group of players to attend today’s owners’ meeting. But NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said the owners didn’t ask the player to change their anthem stance.

Asked by Sal Paolantonio if the league asked the players to commit to stand for the anthem, Goodell said that was not the purpose of the meeting.

“We did not ask for that, Sal. No. We spent today talking about the issues that our players have been trying to bring attention to, about issues in our communities to make our communities better. I think we all agree there’s nothing more important than getting back into our communities and trying to make our communities better. That was the entire focus today,” Goodell said.

Players have asked the league to address their concerns about criminal justice issues, and the league has lent its support to a bill before Congress on reforming criminal sentencing. That, and not the national anthem, has been the focus today.

111 responses to “Roger Goodell: We did not ask players to commit to standing for the anthem

1. That’s cool. I’m getting used to having my Sundays, Monday nights and Thursday nights freed up for other things anyway. Things that don’t involve politics. Actually watched a NASCAR race for the first time in a couple of years.

2. Why would anyone want more rules? More regulations? That’s like liberal big government. Right? Don’t conservatives want less government interference? They said they did. They’re honest people, right?

3. What the idiots in the league(the owners) fail to realize is that it won’t stop. You comply with any of this the media and the left will go on to the next thing. That’s what they do! That’s all they do!

4. Roger Goodell is the weakest man in America. He will do or say anything that he thinks will get him love on Twitter. Whose interest is he serving now? Certainly not the NFL’s. I wouldn’t trust Goodell to manage a Chuck E Cheese.

Goodell is like one of the bad managers on Bar Rescue. The guy who convinced his friend to let him manage his bar then he just gives away free food and drinks so people like him. You used to run a good bar, but now you got people dancing on tables, pouring their own drinks and walking out on the check.

Owners need to fire this guy immediately. It is clear he has lost control and has no idea how to be a leader.

5. NFL should create a rule where you must prove your trying to help solve the problems your trying to address on your own time if you wish to kneel and if not your fined and the check goes to a worthy cause. But that’s far to logical

6. “…issues that our players have been trying to bring attention to, about issues in our communities to make our communities better.”

Start here…tell the people of your community (not matter the race) not to break the law. That means you don’t sell drug, fight, steal from your neighbors, take pride in the appearance of your home and not more playing the knockout game.

7. I hate to say this because their league has it’s issues as well (no parity, bad contracts) but the NBA played their card in this whole anthem issue perfectly! They got out ahead of it and nipped it in the butt before it became a distraction. The NFL might make the most money but the brain wizards within aren’t the brightest!

8. Yes Roger it’s not like it’s an important issue. I mean you probably had more important issues like the loss of revenue and making sure the players wear the league approved apparel. Because you know if they didn’t there would be big problems. Maybe Roger you could negotiate with the Trump administration and have them write a big $$ contract and then if they don’t stand you can fine them Also while they are protesting injustice maybe they could look into who makes your apparel and look into their child labor laws.

9. If the NFL wants players to stand, all they have to do is tell the players they’re essentially giving themselves a pay cut by kneeling.

It’s negatively impacting the game’s bottom line, which eventually will shrink the size of their wallets. It also reduces the leverage the NFLPA has at the next CBA negotiations if their game isn’t bringing in as much money.

The league really can’t benefit financially by doing this. If the NFL wants to stop it, pointing out the negative financial impact on their wallets could get players to use different avenues to express their concerns.

10. Yes, making local communities better is why the NFL sent two teams to London to kneel for the US anthem and then stand for God Save the Queen. The best way to fight injustice is definitely to salute foreign monarchies that notoriously ran a globe spanning colonial empire whose oppression of religious and ethnic minorities led directly to the establishment of the world’s oldest democracy that you are so ashamed of. Great work everybody.

11. This wouldn’t be an issue if president Troll didn’t refer to a person of color as an S.O.B. at a rally in Alabama of all places. Bad form, sir.

12. I don’t understand why this is so difficult. Keep the players in the locker room until after the anthem is sung.

Boom. Kneeling nullified.

If they want to raise a fist, or link arms and kneel in the locker room, more power to them.

13. God Bless America says:
    October 17, 2017 at 6:27 pm

This whole thing has gotten absurd. Disrespect my country and I disrespect you.
    _____________
    Noted, what country belongs to you again?

14. a rock falls toward earth at newton’s F=Gm1m2/r squared….and the NFL ratings fall toward earth at NFL=(SWJ-empty seats)/cash…..which falls toward the earth faster?…..

15. Here’s the question that needs to be answered…

Thumbs Up – The Soap Opera NFL drama is more enertaining the the product on the field.

Thumbs Down – I’ll take my crappy football & and a coors light please…

16. Michael E says:
    October 17, 2017 at 6:11 pm
    ———————
    How about freeing up your Tuesday evenings also instead of feeding us BS about your “boycott”! If you’re going to boycott the NFL then do it and stay off a NFL blog. So sick of these fake boycotters talking about football related topics. Go watch cars go around in circles for a few hours!

17. Did the military pay extra for the Anthem to be aired on TV? If not…then all the NFL has to do is instruct their broadcasting partners to not air the song. No eyes on the players would mean no attention from the angry so called hyper-patriots who put way too much importance on a boring song.

18. Luckily Roger isn’t in the White House or Kim Jung Un would be measuring the oval office to move in his furniture. So, Protests against the country are perfectly fine with the NFL and their advertising partners, got it. This means more kneeling on foreign soil while the National Anthem plays and standing at attention for their song. Pretty sad.

19. Good. This is NOT about honoring our flag, our country, or our servicemen and woman. It’s about Trump. He’s an arrogant narcissist that only wants to transfer and deflect attention away from his inability to accomplish anything. He’s a mean-spirited bully and he attracts the worst behavior among otherwise prudent people.

This is America. When self-described demigods like Comrade Trump start demanding actions on the part of individuals, “or you’re not patriotic and you hate your country,” it’s time to hit the brakes.

If locking arms becomes the new standard in direct response to Trump, I say keep doing it. If you want to kneel, then kneel. This is about Trump, not patriotism. If you want to turn your back, then turn your back. If you want to hold your hand over your heart and stand at attention, then keep doing it. It’s your right as an American. Nobody, including an accidental president, one without the votes of the majority of people in this great country, demanding you act and feel as he commands, is ever going to get my cooperation. Never. He’s not my president.

20. God Bless America says:
    October 17, 2017 at 6:27 pm
    This whole thing has gotten absurd. Disrespect my country and I disrespect you.
    ———————
    Bet you wouldn’t disrespect any NFL player to their face. Only behind a keyboard! Lol. You’re so scary.

21. I respect anyones right to protest, but hate the way these guys are doing it. Why don’t they just stand and raise a fist or two? That way their protest is noted, but they are still standing for the flag. As for Crapenick, he can take his “cops are pigs” socks, and his Cuban hero-worship tee shirts and his disrespect for the flag and live with the consequences of his deplorable actions. Has the right, I guess, to do it, but we have the right to not like him for it. And he is a sucky QB anyway….

22. NFLexpert says:
    October 17, 2017 at 6:35 pm
    Nobody cares about the NFL anymore…Imploding big time.

——————
    Oh the irony!! Lol!!! A guy who calls himself NFL expert says no one cares about the NFL anymore. Wow! I couldn’t even make this up.

23. charlesbrown2316 says:
    October 17, 2017 at 6:37 pm
    God Bless America says:
    October 17, 2017 at 6:27 pm

This whole thing has gotten absurd. Disrespect my country and I disrespect you.
    _____________
    Noted, what country belongs to you again?
    —————
    He didn’t say he owned the country (liberal spin), he said it’s my country, as in where he’s from, what’s your country ? your house?

24. All of you are abandoning the nfl you say ?? Never gonna watch it ??? Yet, here you are. Hmmm

I still think the funniest part of all this is that the guy who came up with kneeling is a white former soldier. But yeah, the keyboard commandos are the heros.

25. unkleruckus says:
    October 17, 2017 at 6:50 pm
    God Bless America says:
    October 17, 2017 at 6:27 pm
    This whole thing has gotten absurd. Disrespect my country and I disrespect you.
    ———————
    _______
    If they stopped beating up their wife/ girlfriend for long enough I’m sure plenty of fans would give them an earful.

26. I don’t know, in church we always knelt to show ultimate respect and reverence. My old man, a WWII combat vet, placed flags on vets graves every Memorial Day for 30 years. He knelt in respect at each grave. But because right wing chicken hawk politicians and pundits told their sheep it was unpatriotic to kneel, the self righteous are appalled when a player does it. When self proclaimed super American patriot Ted Nugent wears a flag tank top or drapes himself in the flag and then rants about liberals as he blows away another animal, is that not disrespectful? Although he is white and a lifetime member of the NRA. I guess that makes it ok.

27. Yeah, remember how these same pseudo-patriots were gonna shut down Target and Starbucks too. How’s that working out? Throwing tantrums because you can’t force people to do what you want them to do isn’t going to ever work in America.

28. skawh says:
    October 17, 2017 at 6:10 pm
    Read: racist fans don’t dictate NFL policy.
    —————–
    Actually that’s exactly what’s happening.

29. gogreenbiotch says:
    October 17, 2017 at 6:58 pm
    ——————-
    That’s because posting here and watching the games are two different things. Two different events. Not connected. Mutually exclusive. Un-related……got it?

30. why can’t the NFL cater to grown men (average viewer age:50) throwing fits political speech???

I think the answer might be that just like at any point of progress in American history- there’s a right side and a wrong side. The NFL is choosing the future, including it’s more youthful audience

Later old geezers

31. I dont understand why the NFL just doesn’t apply the same rule as they do for fans on the field.

Instruct the tv crews to NOT show the the SOB’s throwing their tantrums on tv. Once the poor little oppressed millionaires stop getting coverage for doing it, they will stop kneeling. Or they wont but nobody will care because they dont have to see it.

32. unkleruckus says:
    October 17, 2017 at 6:50 pm
    God Bless America says:
    October 17, 2017 at 6:27 pm
    This whole thing has gotten absurd. Disrespect my country and I disrespect you.
    ———————
    ==============
    i love it when you socialist justice warriors try to escalate to violence. especially since we dont support your anti gun stance anymore than your anti white stance.
    bring it big boy.

33. Football fans that post on PFT are probably the most engaged and, as you can see from the comments and votes, probably over 75% are AGAINST the SJW-agenda being pushed by the addled-brained players with the help of the Commissioner’s Office.

This issue is a LOSER for the NFL. Cut your loses, fire the Commissioner, and pass a rule that you stand for the anthem while “at work in front of the customers” or you don’t get paid.

34. xavier179 says:
    October 17, 2017 at 6:27 pm
    Michael E, was that NASCAR race as boring as it was years ago? We can’t say we will miss all you fair-weather fans…..

Some boycott some don’t….I don’t but I don’t agree with protests over identity politics and pointless discussions on race. Less cops, less law enforcement and lessening drug laws? This is what they want and they can kneel until Goddell authorizes knee replacements. Freedom is not the same as mob rule….The NFL has the authority and their own bylaws to correct this, but haven’t. Nothing is ever gained by pandering. The direct result:

Fox is down 7 percent due to the lag of the NFL and CBS 13 percent…I Really hate to see politicalization of American sports, but I watched it happen to Target and Kelloggs and others in the business world…Yet lessons are never learned…..

35. Trump is an alpha man. But grown men who watch sports are beta males who will continue to support the kneelers and disrespect to our fallen… Sad.

36. As long as Goodell is running the league, it will never back down from any leftist position it takes. Don’t ever think it will.

37. LiquidAmber says:
    October 17, 2017 at 7:05 pm
    Yeah, remember how these same pseudo-patriots were gonna shut down Target and Starbucks too. How’s that working out? Throwing tantrums because you can’t force people to do what you want them to do isn’t going to ever work in America…

Target lost over 2 billion dollars and the board gave their CEO a 50 percent cut in pay….Did they learn?….Nope. And you can’t force an NFL team to be sold because of their name. You can’t force business to pay their employees a certain wage or buy insurance…See…kinda works both ways…

38. exinsidetrader says:
    October 17, 2017 at 7:17 pm

This issue is a LOSER for the NFL. Cut your loses, fire the Commissioner, and pass a rule that you stand for the anthem while “at work in front of the customers” or you don’t get paid….

Good post and you are very close…close to 70% were not happy with the NFL in the latest poll..It seems the NFL won’t follow their own bylaws

39. vjack says:
    October 17, 2017 at 7:06 pm
    skawh says:
    October 17, 2017 at 6:10 pm
    Read: racist fans don’t dictate NFL policy.
    —————–
    Actually that’s exactly what’s happening.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

vjack – you get it, skawh doesn’t.

The players that are kneeling are probably more racist than those that they claiming tto be protesting against.

Members of any race can be racist. But the SJW’s won’t believe that.

40. Disabled vet here. I’m willing to bet most of you complaining about this issue never served or even thought about serving. I did and I’m proud to have done so. I stand for the flag because I feel it’s the right thing to do. I also completely stand behind the players and their right to protest because there is nothing in the world more American than being able to voice your opinions and air your grievances. I served to ensure we don’t lose the rights we have.

If you are honestly sitting at your keyboard complaining that these young men don’t see issues becaue they are rich, spoiled or otherwise disconnected from the issues they raise, you are idiots. Just like the military these guys come from varied backgrounds and have very different views than some keyboard warrior who’s never had to face anything like what they are protesting. Trying to demean their opinions because you don’t like it or it makes you uncomfortable is weak and petulant. Maybe you’re the spoiled ones with blinders on.

Lastly, I find it absolutely disgusting that people here would question a person’s patriotism or love of country because they peacefully protest real issues. As a matter of fact, as a veteran I would call into question just about everyone here. These message boards have become a cesspool of hate and it’s not the fault of the players, it’s the man-children here that can’t have a valid peaceful discussion.

41. gogreenbiotch says:

^^^^^^^^^^^^

I know I’m not alone in my position. I am boycotting all NFL games where my team isn’t playing. My team has not had one player kneel – because the senior players actually used their leadership skills to LEAD their teammates to do the right thing.

So you will claim I’m not boycotting because I watch 1 NFL game a week.

Well facts are facts – I used to watch between 2 – 4 games a week.

If enough people choose to do likewise – that will be a dramatic drop in revenues for the teams and the players.

The owners are billionaires. If the league goes belly up – these guys are still millionaires (if not still billionaires).

The players – well a few of them will be alright. Many of them will not.

42. The simple truth is that progressives are the biggest sore losers on Earth. They will destroy institutions ranging from the electoral college to the NFL rather than admit they are wrong. This is why their party is at its lowest point in 90 years, so keep it up I guess.

43. You folks noting a decline in TV ratings seem to miss that there is a decline in TV viewership overall…but especially ages 18-24. You know…the future of the country who are less bent out of shape by a gentle protest.

44. Any employer I know of has guidelines about participating in protests, or rallies while on company time, and wearing company branded clothing. Failure to follow those guidelines can get you reprimanded, suspended and fired. But I guess this is just another rule that only applies to commoners… Stand Up ! It’s sad when these players feel like they are accomplishing something by kneeling. Go do something productive in your community beyond your tax shelter foundation work.

45. stellarperformance says:
    October 17, 2017 at 6:48 pm

If locking arms becomes the new standard in direct response to Trump, I say keep doing it. If you want to kneel, then kneel. This is about Trump, not patriotism. If you want to turn your back, then turn your back. If you want to hold your hand over your heart and stand at attention, then keep doing it. It’s your right as an American. Nobody, including an accidental president, one without the votes of the majority of people in this great country, demanding you act and feel as he commands, is ever going to get my cooperation. Never. He’s not my president….

Ohhh wait…Was that you in the stands at Lambeau..one of the 3 people shown linking arms while the rest of the Packer fans waved flags and chanted USA with their hands over their hearts after a request by Aaron himself for everyone to link?…Yer a fine looking fellow

46. It really blows my mind how PC we’ve become. Everyone is walking around on eggshells scared to death of offending a person of color.. We are ALL people, we ALL have problems.. You really think disrespecting what means so much to so many ppl is going to build bridges? Men and Women of all races and religions laid down their lives and you just spit on them because that’s easier than going out and doing something that will actually help. CK wore pig socks and took a knee and now you’re treating him like MLK. I don’t get this culture.. You have everyone so scared of being labeled racist that basic decency goes out the window. I do see a lot of racist ppl in the US these days but they aren’t white anymore

47. udjets says:
    October 17, 2017 at 7:33 pm

Lastly, I find it absolutely disgusting that people here would question a person’s patriotism or love of country because they peacefully protest real issues. As a matter of fact, as a veteran I would call into question just about everyone here. These message boards have become a cesspool of hate and it’s not the fault of the players, it’s the man-children here that can’t have a valid peaceful discussion………………….

The real issue is less laws, less cops, and less whites…They can pound sand with their BLM mandate, the rest of the citizens have rights too..

48. All you fans that think this SJW BS is somehow justified are delusional. Don’t confuse your Trump Derangemen Syndrome with something that’s positive for the NFL. It IS hurting the League.

49. jackedupboonie says:
    October 17, 2017 at 6:52 pm
    Players are stupid. They just lost any fan clout they once had.

lol

many of us either get what the protests are about and are OK with it, or just dont care about anything but the actual game. Me? I have no idea why some are so outraged over something that has 0 impact on their lives. Does it affect MY wallet? Nope. Does it harm me or my family in any way? Are they hurting anyone? Nope. I thought the other side were the snowflakes! “this doesnt effect me in any way but jeez am I outraged!

well…bye then

50. I’ve been a Browns fan my whole life and haven’t missed watching a game since I was about seven (in !980). Believe me, I’ve seen far more than my fair share of crappy football, but I still stuck with them and never skipped out on a single game. However since this whole kerfuffle started I haven’t watched a single snap of any NFL football and that will continue. Way to go NFL- I’ll get my football fix on Saturdays from here on out. Good riddance.

51. “…about issues in our communities to make our communities better…”

Since when is it the responsibility of football players to concern themselves with anything but football???

52. want to see good old roger turn on a dime? when this gets bad enough, and huge advertisers, like ford, and gm and at&t, start pulling their ads because there isnt enough bang for the buck , or god forbid!! gasp gasp, viewers start linking the advertising companies with the idiot protesters, and revenue starts declining big time, you will see a colossal change.

53. I WILL NOT PUT UP WITH MILLIONAIRES BEING PROTECTED BY BILLIONAIRES DISRESPECTING OUR FLAG. Find another way to make your statement. You wanted attention and now you have it. This is crap. I will not put up with this.

54. pftpffftttt says:
    October 17, 2017 at 6:31 pm
    Kneelers gonna kneel. Haters gonna hate. Players gonna play.

… yup, just going to for a lot less money soon.

55. “All of you are abandoning the nfl you say ?? Never gonna watch it ??? Yet, here you are. Hmmm”

I will never buy Sunday Ticket again, No more 100$ tickets , 20$ beers and 15$ hot dogs at some crappy stadium. No more $100 player Jerseys, no more T-shirts, hats, bobble heads, football cards. NO NFL gear for my kids or nephew for Christmas. I will never give another penny of my money to cop/america hating communists like Colin Kapernick again. Makes me sick I did in the first place now.

56. The bottom line is being affected as we speak. They’ll ALL be standing by the end of the season, or they won’t be employed. The NFL PR department is insanely stupid for this one.

57. How many people here actually know what the last line of the Pledge if Allegiance means?

“With liberty and justice for all”

Liberty – the state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one’s way of life, behavior, or political views.
    “compulsory retirement would interfere with individual liberty”

Justice – the quality of being just; righteousness, equitableness, or moral rightness: to uphold the justice of a cause.

58. unkleruckus says:
    October 17, 2017 at 6:44 pm
    Michael E says:
    October 17, 2017 at 6:11 pm
    ———————

———————
    I think the extremist view limits one to only thinking of extreme scenarios. Its not guys just flat quitting that the NFL has to worry about. The way this has been working out is a lot of people previously committed to watching it no longer are. Guys who once made sure their schedules were clear Sunday afternoon and evenings, Monday night, and Thursday night no longer do that. Sure if they have nothing better to do they will watch. But if there are chores or errands, the family wants to watch something else, just tired and need to get up in the morning…any number of things that once would not have been allowed to get in the way of football are now getting in the way of football. And all those viewers missing some of it where they used to not miss any adds up to a lot of missed football. And thats how the ratings drop came about really.

59. NFL ratings are down about 18% over two years at this point. I can only believe they think this will blow over and football will make a comeback. I Guess.

60. leatherface2012 says:
    October 17, 2017 at 8:16 pm
    want to see good old roger turn on a dime? when this gets bad enough, and huge advertisers, like ford, and gm and at&t, start pulling their ads because there isnt enough bang for the buck , or god forbid!! gasp gasp, viewers start linking the advertising companies with the idiot protesters, and revenue starts declining big time, you will see a colossal change….

Agreed…Like every left wing organization. They rely on other peoples money and show no concern until it stops coming in. The NFL is no different. They can be arrogant with the cash pouring in. Once the advertisers see the decline, they certainly will ask for better rates on ads and will have the data to support it. They will have an eye opening experience when they negotiate the next TV contract. 20th Century Fox can hand them Fox’s 7 percent decline numbers and that will cost the NFL billions. CBS and ESPN would absolutely love renegotiations as well…The NFL will doubling down on their own losses

61. trident says:
    October 17, 2017 at 7:12 pm

Later old geezers……………………………………………………………………………………

Funny post. I do find it comical that millennials think they are the financial future for the NFL. Who will pay for it since Millennials seem to want everything paid for? Will we tax the rich for your tickets Will you even buy season tickets, or ever look up from your phones to notice a game is being played? Jerseys from second hand stores? The last genius wanted them to pay 500 bucks a month for insurance and of course that went over like a lead balloon.

I don’t think you have seen the costs of PSLs which will have you screaming for cheaper tickets. Thus less NFL revenue, less money for talent

.Old geezers are the ones buying the cars from the ads, spending 10K for 2 season tickets in a nose bleed section, spending 300 bucks for a game day jersey.

You lose that…you lose the league unless it is saved by the new PDiddy league…SMH

62. It has become almost possible to believe in a wacky conspiracy that someone who hates football managed to maneuver Goodell into the commissioner’s job in as an agent sent to destroy the NFL. No one could be this clueless or stupid.

63. So the SJW’s demanded a seat at the table. The got one. Anyone kneeling now is exposed. Or maybe they will kneel until everything everywhere is fair and even? Now we get to see who has honor and who does not.

64. thenorseman817 says:
    October 17, 2017 at 6:49 pm
    N F L
    Nine Fans Left
    No Fans Left
    Not For Long. Thanks Jerry Glanville
    ////////////////////////////////

He said that thirty years ago. How has the NFL been doing since then?

65. @chorn
    “I will never buy Sunday Ticket again, No more 100$ tickets , 20$ beers and 15$ hot dogs at some crappy stadium.”

Haha! Never buying $100 dollar tickets again? Sounds to me like you haven’t paid for tickets in the last couple decades anyway. Your other prices are off by a bit too, but the tickets… Somehow I don’t think they’ll miss your money in particular. Just another internet tough guy.

66. The NFL is done! They’re fake activists.They have not only gave the players legitimacy. They also made it worse by going to Washington and getting into politics. WHY is the NFL getting into “RACIAL INEQUALITY” AND “CRIMINAL JUSTICE REFORM”? They are now appeasing the players in the league by feigning outrage. the NFL is a joke now. COWARDS!

67. There is a nationwide NFL boycott planned for November 12…the weekend of Veterans Day. Let us see if the viewership and attendance of NFL games is affected at all. As we all know, the nature of the NFL is not “social justice”, but rather naked capitalism. If they lose money, things will change.

68. LiquidAmber says:
    October 17, 2017 at 7:05 pm
    —————————————-

Taken a look at Target and Starbucks stocks lately?

69. Wonderful. This just re-enforces my not watching the NFL this year. The NFL owners just helped to kill their brand. If these morons (players and owners) think America wants to see politics every time an NFL game comes on they are crazy. Actually not watching the NFL has freed up a large part of my Sundays for more pleasurable things to do. Thank you NFL. I can only hope that a large part of your audience will do the same to send you the message to stay out of politics during your work hours!!

70. It’s amazing what I’m reading on here a bunch of scared morons,anybody who has a problem with an American Citizen expressing they’re displeasure with what they feel are injustices is a not patriotic in any sense and don’t give me that disrespecting the flag bs most of you have done that unknowingly anyway, I’m a first responder in nyc and am not offended in the least with the message these men are trying to convey, the real disrespect is trying to silence these men I guess standing up for what you believe in isn’t an American thing anymore.