Dallas Cowboys

Jerry Jones has appeared to become the most strident of the NFL owners in his stance that players must stand for the national anthem. But it hasn’t always been that way.

After Jones’s first home game as the Cowboys’ owner in 1989, a fan complained that Jones and his guest, Elizabeth Taylor, had been spotted sitting during the national anthem. The Star-Telegram published a letter from the offended fan, Ken Johnson.

“JEERS: To Jerry Jones and Liz Taylor, who were the only two people at last Sunday’s Cowboys-Redskins game not standing when the national anthem was played,” the letter said. “Riding out in a cart just before the anthem began was bad enough, but sitting while it was played was more than many of us could handle. Jerry, please note that in Texas, we stand for the national anthem. P.S.: Tom [Landry] always took off his hat.”

We’re not sure why Jones (or Taylor) wouldn’t have stood for the anthem in 1989, but apparently some time in the last 28 years Jones has decided that not only will he always stand for the anthem, but every Cowboys player must stand as well.

61 responses to “At his first home game as owner, Jerry Jones was criticized for sitting during the anthem

1. Cowboys fan here – accepted fact that Jerry is delusional. His thought processes have always seemed bizarre. Try listening to this guy talk sometimes, he has a hard time making sense of anything.

2. Haha. What? Mr. All American NFL owner of America’s team not standing! He should be required to step down immediately!

3. I’d like to see a new league started where the players salary is capped @ 1 million per year, tickets and food cost less, and the player celebrate the flag by standing and singing God Bless America before each game.

4. He’s an old white guy, according to liberal media he is allowed to do anything and everything he wants without consequence. White privilege allows for that apparently. Blacks have to stand tho.

5. JustBlameTrumpOrRussia says:
    October 21, 2017 at 5:14 pm
    —————-
    It sure does in this case. Jerry can make it up as he goes along and you guys lap up everything he says. Also, you guys seem more upset about Colin Kaepernick than about the murder in Charlottesville, or the murders in Las Vegas.

6. So tired of these stories. Kneeling/sitting has done nothing for any cause. Just want TV time for themselves. Encourage kids to go into law enforcement, not the NFL. Maybe then, the change desired will come.

7. “Forget about the anthem. His first game as proud owner of the Cowboys and he invites fat Liz Taylor? Wow!”

Sir you have won commenting for today. The rest of you losers can pick up your participation trophies at 345 Park Ave anytime M-F 9-5

8. tqaztec says:
    October 21, 2017 at 5:44 pm

——
    A man with a plan? Have YOU “gone into law enforcement?” If not, I love the part where you want others “kids” to.

9. I think he was probably distracted by Ms. Taylor, one of the sexiest women of all time. I think many would be, and it’s no secret Jerrah has an eye for the ladies.

10. I’m sure I’ve made bad decision in 1989 (I would have been 22). When someone makes a bad decision we call it a learning experience, but when someone doubles down on a mistake we call that person an idiot.

11. I think he was probably distracted by Ms. Taylor, one of the sexiest women of all time. I think many would be, and it’s no secret Jerrah has an eye for the ladies.

——

So being a horndog exempts you from having to be patriotic yourself? It is all becoming more clear now thank you for that insight.

12. I really doubt jj had a crisis of conscience that led him to sit during the anthem. It was more likely a personal energy crisis….he was too lazy to get off his 1 percenter butt!

13. Are you aware that Liz Taylor was in a Wheel chair in 1989 and as a Gentleman I am sure he sat with her so that she did not feel uncomfortable – You are disgusting for posting this !

14. beachsidejames says:
    October 21, 2017 at 2:30 pm

———–

This league exists, except the song they play at the beginning is “O Canada”.

15. I’d like to see a new league started where the players salary is capped @ 1 million per year, tickets and food cost less, and the player celebrate the flag by standing and singing God Bless America before each game.

in the big rock candy mountain….

16. Jones has always been a hypocrite and moron but thanks for bringing back fond memories of the Cheers and Jeers section in the Star Telegram. That was always my favorite section of the paper.

17. I sometimes wonder how pathetic someone’s life has to be that the only thing they can take pride in is liking where they live. Oh wow! You love your country? How brave! I mean, sure, every human on earth loves where they were born by default, but not like you do! You love America the mostest!

I’d love to get a bunch of these yokels in a room and see what kind of hilarious things they would do to prove they love America more than the loser standing next to them. I love America so much I’m going to eat this whole pecan pie while tap-dancing to fiddle music in a tri-cornered hat! Oh yeah? Well, I’m going to blindfold myself with a flag and jump my pickup over 15 school buses filled with Russian children, cuz I love America more! Oh yeah? Well I’m gonna parachute out of a Boeing 737 in nothing but American flag speedos, no parachute, and land on the back of an eagle which will fly me to Graceland where I will square-dance with Nancy Reagan’s skeleton because I love America more than anyone!!!

18. man, Trump cult zombies will always have an excuse.These ppl defending Jerry are hilarious.God Bless all of you ppl on this post.Oh and I love America more than all you ppl.Excuse me while II go sing the National Anthem(I sing it all the time to myself).

19. Ten milion slaves in AFRICA today and all these folks have nothin better to do than trash on JJ.

SHAME BROTHERS AND SISTERS.

20. Jones did think to stand since, in his mind, everyone else in the stadium was standing to honor him.

21. Ivan Pavlov says:
    October 21, 2017 at 5:22 pm
    JustBlameTrumpOrRussia says:
    October 21, 2017 at 5:14 pm
    —————-

—————-
    Hmmm, the murders in Chicago didnt head that list.

22. Kelly Arvin… hey I was 22 in 1989 too. I made some mistakes around that time as well. Thing is old Jerrah was 47 in 1989.

23. Englishraiderfan… the big rock candy mountain! I’d forgotten about that song. “In the big rock candy mountain the jails are made of tin, and you can walk right out again as soon as you are in.”

24. beachsidejames says:
    October 21, 2017 at 2:30 pm

————

Well comrade there are places where you can go to do this but they won’t sing God Bless America. You’ll be goosebstep marching to another hymn to a glorious leader.

By the way,!when the Anthem is played on TV while you sit on the coach, do you stand?

25. Theres a big difference between not standing because your not thinking about it and not standing bc u think the country doesnt deserve respect. Both are disrespectful but 1 means to be.

26. harry hands says:
    October 21, 2017 at 10:37 pm
    Liz Taylor was not in a wheelchair in 1989. Try again.
    ————
    Actually, she might have been using one at the time due to being hospitalized from 1988-1989. She was also a British citizen which meant she mightn’t have felt the need to stand. She had been born in England with dual-citizenship but officially filed a renunciation of her US citizenship in 1966. In 1977 she said she’d re-apply but no hard proof she actually completed it, and she later became a full Dame of the British Empire, not just an honorary one, so had to be fully British (or Commonwealth) by then.

27. Jerry is taking a hard-line stance because Dallas is a very conservative place, and the fans are more angered by and opposed to the protest than in most other NFL cities. He wants to keep them happy and spending money, so he’s putting on a front. It is always about money with Jerry. Always. There are a lot of people (probably including some owners) that are genuinely upset by the protests and trying to take a moral stance. Jerry Jones is not one of them.

28. Man I am so tired of this crap. The message has been received, now Stand so we don’t have to listen to the Infant in Chief Cry anymore or hear about another Twitter tantrum. Well over this any, as there will always be something he is pissed off about. Sure wish he was as worried about the Constitution he swore to Protect and Defend as he is about NFL players.