T.J. Lang expects boos in return to Lambeau Field

AP

Playing a game at Lambeau Field is nothing new to guard T.J. Lang.

Playing a game at Lambeau Field while a member of the visiting team is a new experience, though. Lang signed with the Lions this offseason after eight years with the Packers and will return to his former home stadium for the first time on Monday night. When he does take the field, Lang isn’t expecting a warm response.

Lang said there were no hard feelings about his exit, but he expects to hear boos that usually rain down on players from division rivals.

“I don’t think it was a relationship that ended on bad terms.  Certainly not from my end,” Lang said, via the Detroit Free Press. “But you never know with fans. Obviously a division rival, I think they kind of forget pretty quick how long a guy played there. But it is what it is. I don’t look for cheers, boos, it doesn’t matter to me. It’s not going to affect my mind-set.”

Lang’s return might be a story early in the game, but the stakes should make it an afterthought before too long. At 3-4, the Lions need a win to be two games back of the Vikings at the end of the first half while the Packers are trying to show they can win a game without Aaron Rodgers in the lineup.

43 responses to “T.J. Lang expects boos in return to Lambeau Field

1. He can only hope to be booed in order to validate how great he thinks he is.

As someone who is not a fan of either team, I asked myself “Who is TJ Lang?”

2. Lang is correct in expecting boos from that crowd – it’s what they do.

Of course, this year, they might be booing Ted Thompson too.

3. I think he would only be booed for being a Lion, just like any other lion. Not because he left.

I think it was pretty obvious he wanted to stay, just the dollars were better to go.

4. I doubt very much he would’ve been booed, but he may now because he brought it up. Self-fulfilling prophecy.

5. no one cares because Aaron isn’t playing. Packers fans now know that this team stands zero chance w/o him. The greatest fan base in all of sports? Please! I’ve never seen so many people hoping off the bandwagon in my life. I live in Wisconsin and all the colors went from green and Gold to all Badger gear. Once that fraud of a team loses to Ohio State- that will be the end of that.

It’s the beginning of the end for the packs historic run of great qb play. I for one cannot wait for the return to the glory days of the 70s and 80s for this fanbase.

6. Who boos the offensive line of the opposing team? How would you even do it? “Nice pancake block, Lang! Booooo!”

7. stellarperformance says:
    November 3, 2017 at 6:23 am

Any Viking fan, young or old, would certainly be an expert on long off-seasons.

*****
    stellarperformance says:
    November 3, 2017 at 9:03 am.

***

Stellar, you wrote a comment at 6:23am Est this morning on an article about Everson Griffen. Spare us the “they just can’t get enough of us” routine.

8. Was Josh Sitton booed when he returned TJ? (no)

You won’t be either. You didn’t demand a trade or fight to go to a division rival, you were a free agent that went to another team.

If anyone gets booed it’ll be TT.

9. Packers fans only boo former players who left on negative terms. I.e. Brett Favre, Greg Jennings, etc. He won’t be cheered by any means, either, but I highly doubt fans will pay him any mind whatsoever.

10. Because god forbid a guy that is from Michigan, went to high school and college in Michigan, grew up a Lions fan, and was offered more by the Lions would leave.

How hard is it to understand for packers fans why a player who has already won a ring would take more money to play out what likely is his last NFL contract for his home town team in front of family every week.

11. 13worldchampioinships says:
    November 3, 2017 at 9:36 am
    //////////////////////////////////

That was a reactive post to a negative Packer insult, not a proactive, antagonistic comment. Therein lies the difference.

12. stellarperformance says:
    November 3, 2017 at 10:04 am
    13worldchampioinships says:
    November 3, 2017 at 9:36 am
    //////////////////////////////////

****

Unless your reactive comment was positive (to which it wasn’t), a reactive negative comment is still an antagonistic comment. So no difference.

13. Viking trolls showed up quickly this morning. They just can’t enough of us. They want what we have and they resent eating our crap sandwiches year after year. Don’t choke! Go all the way and win the SuperBowl, or it’s a choke-job! (your rules.)

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

US? US? just because you got fleeced by some snake oil salesmen doesn’t mean you are part of the team…….get over yourself…..

14. TJ Lang is being called for more holding penalties this year as a Lion than he was for the past few years as a Packer. Must be because he is playing totally different than he was in Green Bay. What else could it be, right?

15. 13worldchampioinships says:
    November 3, 2017 at 10:16 am
    /////////////////////////////////////

You know where I’m going with this. When I see an effort, you included, for taking the advice you just shared, I’ll do the same. You guys have been trashing the Packers forever, including the day of their most recent SuperBowl win and every day since, so if you’re looking for respect from us you can stop looking.

16. I had to click on the article to find out who TJ Lang is. That he doesn’t really play a position that induces crowd noise tells me he might be exaggerating his value just a tad bit too much.

17. I guess it’s a good thing the stadium will be half empty as the Packers are known for having the most fair weather fans in the NFL.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

no, the stadium is only half empty during cold playoff games…. this Sunday it will be 3/4 full.

18. You can tell who the real football and are in is thread. As a Packer Lang was one of the best guards in the game. Still really good as a Lion, but I think the scheme of the Lions oline makes lineman worse than they actually are. (I’m looking at you Caldwell)

19. You can tell who the real football and are in is thread. As a Packer Lang was one of the best guards in the game. Still really good as a Lion, but I think the scheme of the Lions oline makes lineman worse than they actually are. (I’m looking at you Caldwell)
    =====

PFF has him as the #6 G in football..

20. Pack fans might boo, but it will barely be heard as half the stadium will be empty and the other half will be a mix of packer and lion fans.

21. stellarperformance says:
    November 3, 2017 at 10:39 am
    13worldchampioinships says:
    November 3, 2017 at 10:16 am
    /////////////////////////////////////

Oh I get it, Packer fans have never trashed the Vikings before, so the vitriol Packer fans use about the VIkings is 100% warranted and reaction only.

22. 13worldchampioinships says:
    November 3, 2017 at 12:28 pm
    //////////////////////////////////////

I can only speak for myself. But now that the Vikings are strongly in first place, they command our respect by your account? Where was it for the Packers for the last decade, when they owned the division?

Try to let it sink in. You’ll catch on.

23. Green Bay fan here,
    TJ Lang will be applauded. Sure there may be a few drunken sailors in the crowd that boo.
    TJ’s a good guy. TT and Jerry Ball wouldn’t match what Detroit offered, which was ridiculous.
    It’s the way NFL business works.