Latest Jim Irsay comments could complicate Andrew Luck situation

Getty Images

Jim Irsay says lots of things. Some of them are just goofy. Some of them turn out to be untrue, like his offseason declarations that quarterback Andrew Luck would be ready to play this year after shoulder surgery.

But another round of remarks by the Colts owner could complicate the relationship with his best player.

According to Bob Kravitz of WTHR, the latest issue stems from remarks made by former Colts coach Tony Dungy, who was making an appearance on The Dan Patrick Show. During a cut-in happening while a radio commercial break was playing, he told Patrick that Irsay believes the things holding Luck back are mental rather than physical.

“I don’t know what’s going on there,” Dungy said. “Jim Irsay made a comment about six weeks ago, ‘It’s inside his head now.'”

When Patrick mentioned that Irsay expected Luck back to start the season, Dungy said: “They obviously believed it because they did nothing to prepare for him not being there.”

Irsay made a number of remarks this offseason and preseason that pointed to the idea that Luck would be back early in the season, if not for the start of the season. Instead, he was placed on injured reserve last week after his attempts to practice led to more soreness.

Of course, Irsay has been dropping such hints for a while.

“It’s been said before, all sports is played on a 4-inch field between your ears,” Irsay said on Aug. 13. “It’s really important we continue to help Andrew emotionally, mentally, get his confidence and his endorsement, deep down his rubber stamp [in] his heart of hearts because in the end, that carries the biggest weight.”

During the preseason finale, he made similar statements on the team’s television broadcast.

“You have to be able to deal with this, not only physically but mentally,” Irsay said. “I have no doubt that Andrew, the person that he is, he’s going to come out of this thing not just how he was but a better quarterback. ‘When’ is the question. That timetable is more on the football gods and Andrew’s gut feeling on how he’s feeling.”

Now Irsay’s going to need to clean this mess up, but when he starts talking, he ususally does the opposite.

UPDATE 3:21 p.m. ET: The prior version of this article included a claim from Kravitz that Dungy said Irsay made the “it’s inside his head now” comment directly to Dungy. Dungy was instead referring to things Irsay had said publicly. Kravitz has changed the language of his article, so we have changed the language of the quote from his article.

83 responses to “Latest Jim Irsay comments could complicate Andrew Luck situation

1. In his head? Yep, Andrew keeps thinking if management can’t get a line to protect me, I will be killed.

2. So, Irsay has a casual conversation, and lets his feelings known. What’s the big deal? Maybe he’s onto something. I’m no Irsay fan. By the way, nice of Dungy (then of course, Kravitz is involved, shocker) spreading what was probably meant as a private conversation.

3. I feel terribly for Dungy who created a storm when he believed he was off air. Tough break for a remarkable guy. That be said he has been a member of the media for long enough to e more careful with his words.

4. Man I hate when it’s at opens his mouth. I find it ironic he talks about the 4 inch field of vision in between the ears; irsay is hardly qualified to discuss mental toughness.

-colts fan since 1991.

5. If Luck is thinking he needs to stay safely on IR for now, because he values his career and life going forward, thats understandable. At this point the teams failure to protect him instead just getting him killed every time he goes on the field is too well established I can see why he doesnt want to just repeat the cycle.

6. Sometimes it’s better to remain silent, and thought of as an idiot, than to speak and remove all doubt….oddly, that is the 1st thing that came to mind when thinking of Irsay…..

7. Jim Irsay is a silver spooner who knows absolutely nothing about running football team. He was lucky enough to have peyton and now luck. Dude should just sell the team already. 1 of the worst team owners in sports!

8. It’s starting to be really difficult to be a fan of this team.

As a fan, I can go through rough time and bad seasons, but it is really difficult to deal with this incompetent and unlikeable owner.

9. I don’t know about all of you, but I believe everything Irsay says.
    Its all in Lucks head.
    Just convince himself that he’s a healthy Tom Brady and everything will be great in Indianapolis.

10. .
    From the Book of Belichick:

“If you don’t have an offensive line, you don’t have an offense.”

And if you continue to ignore the problem, eventually you won’t have a QB.

11. If he’s saying it out loud to reporters and Dungy he’s likely saying simular things to Luck. I really don’t think the owners tiptoe around their players.

12. Luck has taken a savage beating during his time in Indianapolis, directly resulting from the mismanagement sanctioned by Irsay. And Luck doesn’t have the same kind of track record of erratic behavior as his owner, so having his toughness questioned has to smart a little.
    ————————————–

Although it is unfortunate that Luck’s career is in jeopardy due to the incompetence of Irsay, Grigson, Pagano and the Indy trainers and doctors, I suspect that, deep down, Luck does not care about his drug addled owner’s opinion about his toughness.

On a related topic, it is sad that Dungy would be complicit in spreading this Irsay opinion, even if it was unintentional.

13. Irsay is a sideshow, without a doubt. But he might be accurate that the thing holding Luck back now is fear of further injury. That poor guy has been absolutely meat grinded in Indy behind a very poor OL, and it wouldn’t be a surprise if he is gun shy now and hearing footsteps on every snap.

14. bam5239 says:
    November 7, 2017 at 8:16 am

———————————————————————————————————————————–
    I really doubt that. Irsay seems to be the kind of guy that would send a message through the media rather than confront a situation head on.

15. I agree with Irsay. I blew out the acl, mcl and pcl in my right knee skiing. After a year of rehab, it took another year before I could go downstairs without feeling sheer panic, and the knee was fine.

16. If Andrew Luck is smart and I believe he is, he wants out of Indy. The owner cares about the next party not about winning. There are much better organizations/teams that would pay him handsomely for his services.

17. You get the two hottest rookie prospects at QB back to back. You give one a great o-line and the other gets destroyed yearly. If it’s not solely timidness, then some of it has to be angst for the organization for not even attempting to protect him.

18. ‘It’s inside his head now.’

_____________________________________________________

Translation: He doesn’t want to play for this clown show anymore and is holding out in the hopes of being traded or preferably released

19. minerslung says:
    November 7, 2017 at 7:16 am

-colts fan since 1991.
    ___________________
    91?
    Please……………..

20. I feel terribly for Dungy who created a storm when he believed he was off air. Tough break for a remarkable guy. That be said he has been a member of the media for long enough to e more careful with his words.————————————————————————————————————————————————————- Do not feel sorry for Dungy…he is a two faced hypocrite.

21. Colts and Packers have a lot in common, they got lucky to get great QB’s. With the QB’s they have had, they should have success like the Pats over the years. If Irsay didn’t land Manning and Luck in those 2 years, he would be the Browns.

22. Luck’s rate of injuries is not strictly as a result of the poor Offensive line. He’s a scrambler, and often rolls out to stretch out plays. QBs that roll out a lot, or even worse try to run the ball forward after the pass play breaks down, will always take more physical abuse than the pure pocket passers. Those are the guys that seem to have the long, productive careers.

23. Irsay’s gotta be the worst owner in the NFL. The guy’s never had a job outside of the family owned NFL team but surely feels he alone is responsible for any and all success the team has enjoyed in the past decade. Luck should get out ASAP.

24. Yea, it must be in his head. Who wouldn’t want to get back in there as soon as possible so you can get your brains beat in and possibly have a career ending injury while still not 100%? I think Mr. Luck is much smarter then Mr. Irsay is giving him credit for.

25. minerslung says:
    November 7, 2017 at 7:16 am

-colts fan since 1991.
    ___________________
    91?
    Please……………..

What? Do you want pictures of me in my colts starter jacket in 1st grade? This team sucks, and I know it. But I was raised to root for your hometown team. I listened to years of bad football on the radio because they would never sell out so they weren’t on tv.

26. asanche9 says:
    November 7, 2017 at 7:10 am
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I don’t. He betrayed Irsay’s confidence. He shouldn’t have told a journalist (or anybody else). Dungy likely said it because he wants somebody to know that he is an insider. I doubt it even mattered to him if he was on air or not…except for dealing with the embarrassment of being a shallow tool.

27. Dungy’s comments mean nothing. I didn’t hear them come from Irsay’s mouth, so I put no stock in them. Either way, I don’t care. The problem in Indianapolis is that Andrew Luck is hurt. It’s the same problem Green Bay is having while their stud QB is hurt. We all know this is a QB league. Look at Philly. They finally have a QB and they’re 8-1. All the noise is just noise. Luck had a chance to opt out of Indy, but he signed a long term deal. He’s not going anywhere. The Colts were in the AFC Championship game a couple years ago. They’re going to continue to build a team around Luck.

28. Irsay is just another garden variety spoiled child who, had it not been for a successful father, would be lucky to land a job as a bus driver in Indy.

29. “Irsay believes the things holding Luck back are mental rather than physical.”

Yes….this is because the Patriots broke him on January 18, 2015

30. I wouldn’t blame Andrew Luck if it’s in his head… The Colts haven’t protected him that much with good lineman.

31. I had shoulder surgery over a year ago. I lost feeling in my hand and no one can figure out why. I wouldn’t go believing Irsay here, because it is entirely possible they just havn’t figured out whats wrong yet. They have done almost every test they can to figure out my issue and there is still no answer.

32. I think Luck is overrated, but I hardly think he is a bad QB. I just think the hype coming out of college was way too high. He is a starter but I don’t know if I would call him elite. And not just because Grigson mismanaged the rest of the team. I think he is an intellectual QB, I am not sure his physical skills can keep up.

That said, Big Jim should really just close his mouth. Nothing good comes out of it anyway.

33. “So, Irsay has a casual conversation, and lets his feelings known. What’s the big deal?”
    ___________

The big deal is his feelings are an insult to the toughness of a guy who played two seasons with a torn labrum. Irsay got it in his head this was no big deal and when it turned out to be a big deal his first thought wasn’t “this is worse than I thought” but “Luck’s soft and has mental issues.” That’s a very big deal.

34. Luck carried Indie for years, with horrible O line. He got clobbered. Now, the owner is rattling his cage? C’mon. I wouldn’t be keen to play either, with talk like that. I bet if Luck were to play for another team that values QB protection, he will excel.

35. TheVikingsHaveHowManySBTrophys? says:
    November 7, 2017 at 11:12 am
    If I’m Andrew Luck, I’m asking to be traded. Who could blame him ??

You’ve got an owner who doesn’t have your back.. I’m outta there.
    ________________________
    Ask all you want.
    He’s in his first year of a multi-year contract.
    Then there’s that whole pesky franchise tag thing……..
    He’s not going anywhere. For quite awhile.

36. brwmstr says: November 7, 2017 at 7:56 am
    Worst owner in professional sports
    ======================================

LOL, Irsay is not even the worst owner in his own league. That honor can be claimed by a multitude of owners: Jimmy Haslam, Dan Snyder, Dean Spanos, Adams family in Tennessee, etc.

37. Andrew Luck was a decent quarterback, Now he is injured, He has $27M guaranteed for this year. I am not sure why are there tons of articles Save Luck from Irsay/Colts etc. I am sure with 27M & more to come Irsay probably is vested in Lucks health more than media is going to let. Another thing, though why is media constantly making excuses for Luck, he is hurt, why did he play when he was hurting, I read articles in 2015 that his physical style leads him to injuries ala Big Ben.

38. At this rate, Luck will become this generation’s version of David Carr. A promising going QB whose career is derailed and ruined by an inept franchise that failed to adequately protect him.