Richard Sherman on Achilles: When it goes, it goes

Getty Images

Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman ruptured his Achilles on Thursday night, ending his season several weeks after initially injuring the Achilles.

Sherman explained after the game why he kept playing through the injury even though he knew there was a risk of the more serious injury happening as a result.

“I knew what was happening,” Sherman said, via the team’s website. “It has been bothering me all season. It was one of those things you just had to play through as long as you can, then when it goes, it goes. … Because every game matters in this league, every game matters. You go out there and play for your teammates. Go out there and try to give them all you’ve got, because they deserve it. That’s what I did; I wanted to give my team the best chance to win. We were kind of beat up at corner anyway, didn’t want to put the young guys in a hard spot.”

Sherman, who was wearing a lime green suit that he said was “a lot cooler” before he got hurt, said that he will do everything he can to help those young guys by making “sure they get all the coaching points.” Jeremy Lane, Shaquil Griffin and Justin Coleman are the guys he’ll be helping out and the Seahawks will be hoping safety Earl Thomas is back on the field soon to provide further assistance.

65 responses to “Richard Sherman on Achilles: When it goes, it goes

1. Sherman on his achilles “It has been bothering me all season.”
    —————————————-
    All season? You must be wrong Shermy, it’s not bothered half of the injury reports this season!

2. from stanford? lol how many classes did he attend. enough with the stanford narrative. football players go to school to play football. dont pretend theyre in the tutorials arguing over nietzsche.

3. from stanford? lol how many classes did he attend. enough with the stanford narrative. football players go to school to play football. dont pretend theyre in the tutorials arguing over nietzsche.

****************

He was also valedictorian from his high school. Yeah, athletes have an easier schedule, have tutors, etc. But, it’s still Stanford. It’s still college. Fitzpatrick and Birk at Harvard or Smith and Tate at Notre Dame still had to stay academically solvent. It’s funny, though, that I literally never hear anyone calling into question their credentials. Only guys like Sherman.

4. gaiussallistius says:
    November 10, 2017 at 7:37 am
    ******************************************************
    Ya, I’m sure this idiot graduated because of academics.

SMH.

5. edukator4 says:
    November 10, 2017 at 7:50 am
    _____________________________________________

Spoken like a guy who never went to College and has no idea how hard it is to just get into Stanford.

Sherman is smart, deal with it. Schools like Notre Dame and Stanford are at a disadvantage because they have highers standards for admission. You gotta be smart – athlete or non-athlete.

6. I can’t stand this mouth that roars, and love it when he loses, like seeing the look on his face during the Super Bowl when his coach lost that game for them. Having said that, I respect the hell out of his playing ability, and admire him for giving his all in every game he plays. NO ONE wants to throw in his zone, so while I don’t like his arrogant mouth, I’d love to have him on my wife’s Redskins or on “my” Patriots (as a Michigan alum naturally I’m a big Brady fan). Hate to see anyone, even this egomaniac, go down with a bad injury. I’ve ruptured an achilles, and it’s a long recovery in a big boot. He will also most likely never be as fast as he was before the injury. Kind of sad when injuries hit the best players in the League, and Sherman is one of them, for sure….

7. That is so obvious that even someone as obtuse as the Commissioner should realize it.

“What did you call me?” “Obtuse, deliberate.”

right on, I also believe that Thursday night games should come off of bye. That 3 days of rest between Thursday and Sunday is big for the player’s body.

8. streetyson says:
    November 10, 2017 at 7:50 am
    Sherman on his achilles “It has been bothering me all season.”
    —————————————-

A bother isn’t a category on the Injury Report. He wasn’t limited in practice nor in games.

9. Between injuries and transactions, few teams resemble the ones from last season or in some cases even the start of the current season. Look at the Patriots. This is almost a whole new team from the one that won it all last year. Justin Coleman, Rob Ninkovich, Julian Edelman (injury), Logan Ryan, Jabaal Sheard, B Minko, Lagarrette Blount, V. Valentine, Jimmy Garappolo, Jacoby Brissett, Shea McClellin, and Donta Hightower. It’s tough to say the team is defending a title when there is this much turnover and flux.

10. Sherman has matured over the years. He has had ups and downs with his antics but at the end of the day he is the best corner in the league. And it’s not even close. Rest up Sherm.

Go HAWKS

11. ITs never GOOD when someone gets injured…but maybe he’ll be to busy rehabbing to talk for a while….that wouldnt hurt my feelings.

12. You wonder why they put him in the game even though he had an Achilles injury in the first place and was listed as questionable before the game. Since this is his last contract year with Seattle, he may not get as good an offer as a free agent in the offseason. Conspiracy theorist may claim that they do this so they can bring him back at a reduced salary if no other team will sign him during the free agency period. LOL

13. Ya, I’m sure this idiot graduated because of academics.

SMH.

*******

You *could* make the case that he wasn’t accepted solely because of his academics. (But, then again, no one is accepted based solely on his academics. This is why colleges and universities want to see leadership experience, service, sports, etc. They want a well-rounded, whole person.) However, he graduated because of his academics. Everyone, especially at a school like Stanford, has to meet minimums to graduate. And, knowing Sherman’s high school academic success–over 4.0, valedictorian, 1200+SAT score–he did more than the bare minimum to graduate.

14. What I don’t get about the rationale for playing is that you can rest it a few weeks, get it stretched and loosened to where you’re not likely to tear it, and then be full-go come playoff time. Playing on a strained and tight achilles is just asking for a season-ending injury, which helps no one.

15. Shinnbone says:
    November 10, 2017 at 8:13 am
    Boy these players are week, used to be back in the 70’s & 80’s you just played through the minor aches and pains.
    NFL getting soft.
    ************

Back in the 70’s and 80’s the product wasn’t what it is today. Sports wagering wasn’t what it is today. The money, wasn’t what it is today. The stakes are so much higher today than they were in the past.

16. I love this guy. I love that he embraces the hate he receives. I love that he is from Stanford, and yet many people still discount him.
    —————————————————————————————
    He’s not “from Stanford.” He played football at Stanford and wouldn’t have gotten within a mile without being athlete. Listen to him try to talk. He’s not exactly a Silicon Valley entrepreneur.

17. gaiussallistius says:
    November 10, 2017 at 7:57 am

****************

_____________________________________________________
    Nothing funny or mysterious about it. We know exactly what it is, and now it affirms what we all knew.

18. He’s an idiot. You don’t play through strained achilles. Rest is the only option……unless you want to tear it!! Also, s somebody show me where Thursday games are the cause of more injuries in the NFL. This certainly isn’t one of them.

19. gaiussallistius says:

November 10, 2017 at 7:37 am
    ——————————————————–
    Is there some unwritten rule that no one from Stanford can be discounted? It doesn’t make him lass of a jerk, that’s for sure. I don’t think it’s his credentials that people hate about him.

20. Easy to second guess him now, but I have the utmost respect for the toughness & devotion to his teammates.

Frankly, in situations like this, it shouldn’t be up to the player to make that call. That’s what the medical staff is for- they’re supposed to be the “bad guys” who keep players out so the player doesn’t have to say “sorry guys, I can’t go today”. Much like a corner in boxing saves face for their fighter by knowing when to throw the towel in so the fighter doesn’t have to.

21. Don’t like him but hate injuries. Sorry another good defensive player goes down with an achilles. Hopefully it doesn’t destroy the defense like Berry’ s injury did.

22. “What is that?”
    “A ruptured Achilles that I have been playing through recently.”
    “Please follow Sir Brad. He is going to give you a private tour of the Pit of Misery.”

23. Ihave never liked Sherman’s mouth. But I wanted to see him defeated not injured. Sorry this happened.

24. I remember him saying that the nfl players should get NBA contract money…. I believe the NBA plays more than one game a week… hate the hawks but hate to see Sherman go down like this.. fast recovery

25. from stanford? lol how many classes did he attend. enough with the stanford narrative. football players go to school to play football. dont pretend theyre in the tutorials arguing over nietzsche.
    =====

I know who I’d bet on if you and Sherm were adminstered the same IQ test……..

26. If he says its been going on all season and it was not being listed I do think that at least warrants investigation.
    =====

Why is it the teams fault that players aren’t self-reporting every little ache and pain?

27. Bye’s before Thursday’s are a good idea but unless they decided to only have teams play only one Thursday game a year (since each team only gets one bye) it would almost be impossible. They don’t want the Browns, for example, on TNF.

28. dcpatfan says:
    November 10, 2017 at 9:10 am
    gaiussallistius says:
    November 10, 2017 at 7:57 am

****************

_____________________________________________________

———-

We do….Sherman is an outspoken loudmouth….those other guys…not so much

29. Was anyone surprised by this? I wasn’t. You can’t just play through an Achilles injury. The team was foolish to let him play on it after only four days rest. The second and third stringers are there for a reason!

30. Football karma.
    Seahawks are cheap shot artists, have caused more than their share of injuries to players on the team they’re facing. No tears here when one of their guys goes down. Maybe Carroll should be be feeding the man more granola and doing more yoga.

31. For o-lineman its a career killer.
    For DB’s, who knows… Kenny Irvin never played again for us after rupturing his in warmups. Best of luck Sherman.

32. Never liked Sherman because of his big mouth. HOWEVER, I loved watching him play. I miss him and other stars like Aaron Rodgers, etc. The NFL is not the same without them.

33. Get well soon. I hope you next achiles injury takes a lot longer but hey your a standford guy, your fully aware once you injure your ankle it never heals 100 percent again and becomes recurring if your not careful. Good luck going forward pal.