Marshawn Lynch sits for U.S. anthem, stands for Mexican anthem

AP

LaVar Ball may have to work a little harder to retain the attention of the Commander-in-Chief.

Raiders running back Marshawn Lynch, playing in Mexico against the Patriots, sat for the U.S. national anthem (as usual). Per Ben Volin of the Boston Globe, Lynch stood for the Mexican national anthem.

The development comes at a time when the anthem controversy has largely subsided. Even though a small handful of players continue to sit or kneel for the anthem, President Trump has stopped talking and tweeting about it, for now.

That could change once he realizes that Lynch opted to sit for the Star-Spangled Banner but to stand for Himno Nacional Mexicano.

106 responses to “Marshawn Lynch sits for U.S. anthem, stands for Mexican anthem

1. This is what the teams in London also did. The kneelers bailed on our anthem in front of a bunch of foreign nationals, and then stood up and paid homage to God Save the Queen. Understand why we are angry?

2. Jerk of a man. When he was in Seattle I always thought his “no speaking to the media” was secretly an act of craving attention. Everything he’s done since then has not changed that belief. He craves attention.

3. wow

and goodel wants 50 mil
    per and a private jet, with health insurance for life

between that and goodell cheating coaches, players and teams, wonder why ratings are dropping?

4. Lynch…. just helps make it easier to despise both her & the Raiders…… way to go FRAUGER…..way to keep the fans away from the games…. yeah, give that clown a raise!!! Lol

5. Still against Jerry???? Pick a side! Jerry love him or hate him is ALL for the FANS and the Bizzness!
    lynch is a PUNK and should STAY in mexico. But WAIT THEY all still want to come back here???? But Why?
    STAND OR LEAVE! EASY CHOICE!

6. There’s your league, Goodell. That’s the new face of the NFL. Hope you’re happy.

Goodell dividing NFL
    Just like Barry did with country.
    Only thing these 2 are good at

7. Once the team flies back to this corrupt, terrible country, I encourage Mr. Lynch to sneak over the border, moving south!

8. Marshawn Lynch is a good dude. He does a lot of positive things in the neighborhoods where our government leaders have systematically taken away most opportunities for them to enjoy the American dream. He’s no dummy. I know it’s tough for some of us to watch, but I have no problem with him. If that kind of freedom bothers me enough, I can always pack my bags and move to China or some other country where they don’t tolerate such freedom. But freedom doesn’t bother me. Our veterans fought for that freedom. I think it would be very disrespectful to those veterans for me not to show them they were fighting for nothing. I mean, who am I to want to take away what they risked everything for? Thank you veterans!

9. Charlie, thanks for the post. I had no idea that Lynch is talking the talk and walking the walk on this issue. But I still believe his best effort this year was his appeal. It at least made it seem like he wanted to play.

10. Maybe lynch should do so research on Mexico. Nothing but horror stories about how their police mistreat people and how crooked and corrupt their system. And he shows respect for that and disdain for the USA?

11. So as a country We should play a football game in Mexico in order to make more money but at the same time we believe we should build a wall and they should pay for it?! Yep Lynch definitely sounds like the idiot in this discussion.

12. goodell has ensured the entire National Fool League is gonna get hit hard…..all of my hardcore NFL watching friends are watching 20% compared to last year and its dropping each week.

‘take a knee’ or ‘take a seat’…will soon be renamed ‘take a paycut’….

i hope this league burns to the ground now.

13. Better get some more of those NFL loves the military commericals that were splattered all over the games today ready…

Seriously, what does Marhawn care. He’s at the end of his career, he won’t be affected by reduced salary cap resulting from people turning off the NFL causing television revenue to plummet.

14. I have to believe that those people who hate the Raiders are thanking Son-of-Al for inflicting a cancer like Lynch onto what looked like a promising young team.

15. 6thsense10 says:

Now Marshawn is just trolling the flag worshippers.
    ==============================================

Only the intellectually ignorant would confuse respect for worship.

16. I’m sure there are plenty of opportunities south of the border for a washed-up running back to make 4.5 mil a year while doing essentially nothing to earn it. He should explore them.

17. Hahaha! Clueless! Wonder why he thinks all those people are crossing the border into the United States? I know, it’s to escape all the great things happening south of the border, and come to the crappy USA. Human rights violations are the norm, not the exception in Mexico.

18. These people are totally clueless and a bunch of idiots.

They protest the very country that allows them to make millions, and pay homage to countries who murder and jail innocent people and where they couldn’t even find a job.

Stupid is as stupid does.

19. I do get the logic of ‘he’s protesting what he sees as unjust in America, and the Mexican anthem doesn’t represent what he is protesting.’
    Same with London.
    He’s also a guest in Mexico, as others were in London.

But, the Mexican government is far from upright and proper in its treatment of its citizens. It is also known for its unjust treatment of Americans. So there is plenty of reason for him to be consistent and sit during both.

By the way, this turd was becoming a darling of the advertising world, have the companies dropped his butt?

20. this why jerry jones is against stooge goodell…is there a bigger fool than arthur blank and the other nimrods trying to rehire this moron?

the commissioner could have shown he had some guts and nipped this in the bud…instead he is a clueless deer-in-the-headlights pretty boy with no brains or guts.

i hope all the owners get a huge financial bite from this mess.

21. charliecharger says:

November 19, 2017 at 7:14 pm

——————————————————————————

I am a veteran, and I think you’re a moron.

22. We’ve become a society of trolls. That’s just Marshawn being Marshawn nothing surprising. Now we’ve got the two biggest trolls in America Lavar Ball and Donald Trump feuding with each other. What a time to be alive.

23. Lynch: ‘I’m only here so I don’t get fined,’ has morphed to ‘I’m sitting here ‘cuz I can’t get fined.’ Jerry Jones is right to lay the kneeling and sitting at Goodell’s door. But what surprises is the majority of owners think the goose is going to stay golden and disagree with Jones. But, I must say, Jones did theg pre-game kneeldown once – and that makes a difference in his righteousness.

I’d let Goodell walk in favor of almost anybody.

24. Roger Goodell allowed this all to happen. He’s pathetic.

He’s an enabler of the worst kind.

The NFL is cratering.

25. What a travesty for this great country!!! Leave him in Mexico, but continue to give Ole Rog his wonderful contract, that 31 of the owners seem so clueless, re: said contract. That will ensure the NFL continues to implode 🙂 Are there any other countries we will be in, so the oppressed players can show their displeasure with the USA?

26. Its hilarious how many fake veterans there is on this comment section what their taking a knee for isn’t about disrespecting the flash or the military its about what’s happening to minorities the police brutality and inequalities that we face everyday just cause the color of our skin its been going on for a century and we have minorities at on a big stage taking a stance against it their exercising their first amendment! were behind you 100%beast mode

27. Lynch has single handily ruined the chemistry on the Raiders and took them from a contender to bottom of the barrell. Yea just like Cutler did to Miami.

28. This dude is garbage. Literally returned to be a sideshow act and distraction, his play has been awful. Thanks for coming out of retirement to protest at the innocent people who pay your salary. Dense idiot.

29. bighawk46 says:
    November 19, 2017 at 8:26 pm
    ==========================================================

You don’t even know what he’s protesting.

30. I bet the Raiders are glad they threw all that money at Carr, Lynch and the O-line. They would have gotten a better ROI if they had gathered it all into a large pile and lit it on fire. At least they’d have the warmth from the flames.

31. I only watch Dallas Cowboy games because they don’t do this crap. As soon as they do I am turning it all off. I got so much more stuff done today with Dallas being a night game

32. vancouversportsbro says:
    November 19, 2017 at 6:52 pm
    __________________________________________________________________________________________

33. Like most of NIner nation we hate the Vegas Raiders but in this case good for you Lynch. A total facial to
    Trump and all the racists owners in the NFL.. Aka most of them but Jed York

34. Lynch is a racist p.o.s.and oakland should have never brought him in he is done. He just wanted a payday. He personally killed the raiders this year, stupid raiders.

35. All of you Seattle fans have a bad case of selective memory. You loved Lynch when he played there. That entire team is full of jerks like him. I still watch the replay of the Pats Superbowl, just to see the look on Richard Sherman’s face when Butler intercepted on the goal line. Remember that? “You Mad Bro”?

——————————-

What bad part of memory do I have as a fan? I used to like the team admittedly until they started to care more about being social justice warriors than winning football games. I would not lose sleep if people like Sherman and Bennett were off the team.

36. vancouversportsbro says:
    November 19, 2017 at 11:06 pm

——————————-

Well then we agree on something. Instead of blasting the Patriots on every post, it’s nice to see that you have seen the light and turned your attention to something worth criticizing.

37. Hey Meshawn, a wonderful thing about the USA is that you are free to emigrate. Please use that freedom (that not all people in the world possess) to make your way down to Mexico. I would suggest Cuidad Juarez where you can honor the Mexican anthem every day of your miserable short remaining life.

They will like you there. You will be easy pickings.

38. calizcowboyz says:
    November 19, 2017 at 7:00 pm
    STAND OR LEAVE! EASY CHOICE!
    While I completely agree with your stance on kneeling, Jerry is out for Jerry. He was 100% in support of the Commish when Deflategate was going on, but now that it’s one of his guys getting suspended, he hates Goodell. Can’t have it both ways.

39. If a snowflake takes a knee or sits during the anthem and no one is watching, does it really have any impact, or has the impact already been done by no one watching?

40. Dont be so hard on him. Please remember this is not about the Anthem or America, its about social injustice. and we all know there is no such think as social injustice in Mexico. Everyone is treated fairly there.

41. So can we stop letting these athletes hide behind this phony, ‘It’s not about the anthem!’ point?
    Kaepernick brought it up when the protests started
    Lynch sat for ours, but stood for the Mexican one.

Where’s the evidence to show it’s not about the anthem again???