Broncos officially name Paxton Lynch their starting QB

Getty Images

Tuesday afternoon saw several reports that the Broncos decided to make Paxton Lynch their starting quarterback for Sunday’s game against the Raiders and the team made it official on Wednesday morning.

Lynch will be making his first start and first regular season appearance of the year after missing most of the first half with a right shoulder injury suffered late in the summer. His start will come in the team’s first game since firing offensive coordinator Mike McCoy and head coach Vance Joseph said earlier this week that Bill Musgrave would tailor things for Lynch if the team did make a change.

“That’s on the coaches and myself if he does play for us to make have a system that fits Paxton,” Joseph said. “He’s practiced the last two weeks. Again guys, it won’t be soccer. It’s football for him. What he’s practiced the last couple weeks may be called a little different. It may be called more of the same stuff, but it’s just football, so he’ll be fine.”

Lynch was a first-round pick last year and started two games when Trevor Siemian was injured. Siemian is expected to back up Lynch, although the team made no announcement to that effect on Wednesday.

39 responses to “Broncos officially name Paxton Lynch their starting QB

1. He’s going to look great against the Raiders D and that will give Denver a false sense of hope and then when he plays a real D he’ll show that he’s actually horrible

2. With the firing of the DC this week, I expect a motivated defense from the Raiders. Switching to the 3-4 puts Mack in a better position to succeed individually. You can stick a fork in the loser of this game.

3. When a team, “Officially Announces” a new quarterback, do they come out with little royal trumpets, and purple velvet hats?

I can’t imagine how awesome the spectacle! Seeing King John Elway walk Paxton Lynch out onto the balcony, before throngs of excited Broncos’ fans, and introducing him as their NEW! STARTING! QUARTERBACK! As if Lynch is their savior, that might actually win a game!

Damn, the Broncos are funny!

Their fans sure did pipe down quickly though.

4. r8rsfan says:
    November 22, 2017 at 10:36 am

You can stick a fork in the loser of this game.
    ——————————————————————————————————–
    I think you mean another fork.

5. I live in Denver but not a Donkey fan. I thought I would enjoy this more but it’s not even fun anymore. The fans here either ignore this season or they have turned their attention to the Nuggets or the Avalanche.

6. Last year Jared Goff got a handful of starts and all the geniuses proclaimed him to be a bust. Never mind that his coach was Jeff Fisher. Never mind what he looked like at Cal. The same thing is going to happen with Paxton Lynch. This kid is a stud QB. Laugh all you want, but Jared Goff and Paxton Lynch are going to be getting the last laugh.

7. At the bare minimum, Lynch is a far better athlete than Siemian or Osweiler. With Denver’s shaky O-line, his ability to run will be an asset. I’m not saying he’s gonna be great, just that he has a greater chance to make an athletic play if things break down. After the s**t show at QB Denver fans have had to endure this season, a guy who can actually run will be a nice change.

8. fresh meat, time to feast, hey maybe we can get an interception finally.

Go Raiders!!!! Beat the Mules!!!

9. 1nationraidernation says:
    November 22, 2017 at 11:15 am
    fresh meat, time to feast, hey maybe we can get an interception finally.

Go Raiders!!!! Beat the Mules!!!
    _____________________________________

With that trash defense? Don’t make me laugh…

10. Now that the Broncos have fired their OC and switched QBs, I think they will be motivated on offense. And lets not forget, Bill Musgrave will have an extra incentive since the raiders abandoned him last year after the great work he did with their offense.

11. milehighcityboss says:
    November 22, 2017 at 11:50 am
    1nationraidernation says:
    November 22, 2017 at 11:15 am
    fresh meat, time to feast, hey maybe we can get an interception finally.

Go Raiders!!!! Beat the Mules!!!
    _____________________________________

With that trash defense? Don’t make me laugh…
    – – – – – – — — – – — – –
    I believe its the mules who have given up about 150 points the past 4 weeks….don’t throw rocks when you live in a glass house

12. Remember 5 weeks ago when this was the best division in football? Now it’s a battle for last place! Sure hope the chargers win it! That would be the cherry on top of the sundae.

13. Go Raiders!!!! Beat the Mules!!!
    _____________________________________

With that trash defense? Don’t make me laugh…
    – – – – – – — — – – — – –
    __________________________________________________________

If you knew anything about football, you would know the Broncos defense wasn’t the reason for the high amount of points. Comparing the Broncos defense to the raiders defense is like comparing a Bentley to a Kia. Hahahahaha

14. milehighcityboss says:
    November 22, 2017 at 12:29 pm

————————

I’m no Bill Belichick, but I know enough about football to know that the defense is the unit responsible for keeping the other team from scoring.

I also know that none of these quarterbacks have performed worse than Manning did during the season they won the Super Bowl.

15. charliecharger says:
    November 22, 2017 at 10:53 am

——————————————————————————————————————————–
    Vance Joseph is no Sean McVay. Vance Joseph isn’t even a Jeff Fisher. If you want to coach up a QB to play better you need to bring in someone who has a clue how to do it, not a failed DC from a team with a bad defense.

16. Battle for the basement. Let’s see, Carr at home vs Lynch on the road. Gotta take the Raiders.
    But regardless, neither of these teams is destined for the playoffs.

17. r8rsfan says:
    November 22, 2017 at 10:36 am

———-
    After seeing how bad the Raiders offense was the other night I think they will be lucky to even score against the Broncos

18. nhpats says:
    November 22, 2017 at 1:19 pm

—————————————————————————————————————————-
    NE made them look that way.

I’ll bet they put up at least 20 on Denver’s overrated D.

19. I hate Oakland and I’m sure they hate Denver too. But lets be real, the fork has already been stuck in Denver. If Oakland loses, theyre just officially done too.

20. judgementday says:
    November 22, 2017 at 10:36 am

Someone in Bronco’s management is ‘Clutching at Straws.’

—-

My favorite Marillion album.