Patriots place Martellus Bennett on injured reserve

Getty Images

Martellus Bennett‘s second stint as a Patriot was a short one.

Bennett, the tight end who was waived by the Packers and claimed by the Patriots this month, has been placed on injured reserve, according to the Boston Globe. Bennett has been dealing with hamstring and shoulder injuries.

Bennett appeared in two games for the Patriots and caught six passes. Last year he played in all 16 games for the Patriots, but he left for a big free agent contract in Green Bay, a contract that the Packers quickly came to regret.

The 30-year-old Bennett has previously said he might retire at the end of this season. So it’s possible he has played his last NFL game. If he decides to play next season, the Patriots would control his rights, although they almost certainly would not want to pay the $6.45 million he will be owed for 2018. The Patriots would likely either ask him to take a pay cut or release him.

47 responses to “Patriots place Martellus Bennett on injured reserve

1. Yeah those Packer Doctors are real good and in no way were they right to think Bennett was fit…
    Pats are loaded on weapons anyway but I expect BB still took him back because it costs very little either way and now he gets first dibs on any 2018.

2. The Patriots got 2 good productive games out of him, so i guess it was not a total failure. turns out he was really injured, regardless what people think you cant question his toughness, but oh well NEXT MAN UP.

3. Basically, he was willing to play through his injury with Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady, but not Brett Hundley.

4. Bennett’s contract was definitely one that the Packers quickly came to regret. And the feeling was mutual. Clay doesn’t want to play anymore for the Packers either. No one really does. No one.

5. nflnfl13 says:
    November 27, 2017 at 5:12 pm

But he passed the Pat’s physical.
    ___________________________________________

Hamstrings injuries are like that, he’s not on IR for the shoulder.
    Pats ended up paying him @ $230k per game played, a savings compared to what they paid him last year and a downright bargain against what GB paid him.

6. Can we all agree the last thing the NFL needs is the Patriots in the Super Bowl. I’m a Ravens fan and yes I hate them. Respect the heck out of them. And we’ve always played them tough..but lord..how boring to have them in the Super Bowl again. God must me a Patriots fan. There are 4 teams in the NFC that probably could beat the Pats..but maybe 1 in the AFC. Bills start a 6th round QB..Cutler (as bad as he is he’s better than Moore) gets a concussion…Jets are the Jets…I mean really.

7. Can we all agree the last thing the NFL needs is the Patriots in the Super Bowl.
    ======

I hope they win another and keep on winning.

The League is pathetic. 31 other teams don’t even deserve the crumbs taht fall off Belichicks table.

8. I hope they win another and keep on winning.

***

Again, great coach, questionable morals

9. @kpizzow, I think you’re close.

I’m a lifelong Pats fan, though, so I want them in the Super Bowl and to win it.

But, if I were not a Pats fan, I’d want them in it and to lose. The Pats are a big draw, even with their dominance; they consistently bring in big ratings in NFL terms.

10. God must be a Patriots fan.
    _______________

Sure God does like the Pats. But He’s definitely all in as a Tom Brady fan. Gods stick together after all. God is the God of the Universe, and Tom is the God of Football.

11. Too bad IR is a, “designation” not a, “location.” If it were, I’d be hoping he’d swing by the NW on his way & take his lying-whining-penalty-machine of a brother with him.

Signed, a Seahawks fan.

12. Wow. Even now. Even now, without a dog in the fight, the Viking trolls continue to be more fascinated with the Packers than their own team! Funny how that works. I wouldn’t think anybody would let something get that deep inside their heads and allow it to have so much control!

It’s laughable. Their big mouths talk like the Vikings have actually accomplished something. The Vikings have accomplished exactly nothing to brag about that’s for sure, not yet anyway. I think they’re getting their boasts in now……..before somebody yanks the ball away like Charlie Brown. Always hopeful, always a loser.

I sure hope the Vikings win the SuperBowl. I would hate to see them choke.

13. kpizzow says:
    November 27, 2017 at 5:27 pm

——————–

That’s what parity looks like during the Goodell reign. Most of the rest of the league doesn’t have the mental fortitude to get better, so they try and get Goodell to force parity by effing with the Patriots, but the Patriots are too good to be affected by Goodell’s machinations.

14. wib22 says:
    November 27, 2017 at 5:37 pm

Again, great coach, questionable morals
    ——————-

Shula wasn’t all that great of a coach, but you are spot on with the questionable morals.

15. kpizzow says:
    November 27, 2017 at 5:27 pm
    _____________________________________
    The first thing the NFL needs is the Patriots in the Sper Bowl. Their SB’s are always the best in the history. Last year the victory margin was 6 points. That’s the highest victory margin by either team in the their 7 SB’s with Brady. Can you imagine the game they were trailing 28-3 ends up their highest victory margin out of their 5 wins?

16. He got two good games from Bennett where Gronk didn’t have to play as many snaps. Then Gronk had his best game of the year afterward.

Even those 2 games helped the Patriots going forward for the season. Thanks Marty!

17. Dilly Dilly says:
    November 27, 2017 at 6:19 pm
    Not seeing the updside for anyone in this Bennett debacle!

———–

He helped get two victories.
    Less miles on Gronk.
    Control Bennett’s rights incase he wants to play next year.

That’s lots of benefit.

Would have been nice to get more games from him, but that isn’t nothing either.

18. nflfan12blog says:
    November 27, 2017 at 7:30 pm

For the Packers knock on Bennet that “he dropped passes”- I don’t think he dropped a single one in the Pats games.
    —————

He’s used to catching a regulation football, and not the over-inflated footballs that Green Bay sneaks past the officials.

19. kpizzow says:
    November 27, 2017 at 5:27 pm
    ___________________________________________________

The Pats start a 6th round QB too.

20. How does the whole compensatory pick figure into this? The Pat’s would get one when he left as a vet but with the Packers having cut him, did that wipe that extra pick out? Did the Pat’s have to sign Bennett to salvage the pick? I wish I understood that process. Maybe someone else here knows how or if it affects this process.

21. If Tom Brady wanted it, Bennett would still be playing. But alas, Tom does not, so Bennett won’t.

Who runs bean town? Tom Brady runs bean town!

22. deuce22222 says:
    November 27, 2017 at 8:52 pm

Who runs bean town? Tom Brady runs bean town!

____________
    Partiots arent in BeNtown (aka Boston) they are down in Foxboro.

23. For those that are complaining about the Patriots being in the Super Bowl, have they not provided some of the most exciting games ever? I mean if your team can’t be in it, I’d think for the sake of the Super Bowl Party, you’d want to see a game that goes down to the wire with all kinds of crazy catches, lead changes, stunning turn arounds, high stakes and records, goats to heroes, etc. Now if your team IS in it, I’d also think the Patriots are the last team you’d want to see, but that’s different.

24. For those that are complaining about the Patriots being in the Super Bowl, have they not provided some of the most exciting games ever?
    ======

I will never watch another Patriots game as long as I live.

Even if the Packers are playing them in the Super Bowl.

25. Shula wasn’t all that great of a coach
    =====

Aside from that undefeated season, in which his players said he was nothing short of maniacle, I suppose you have a point…………..

26. “Packers could have done the same thing.”
    —————

It wouldn’t have been a good idea though. The guy was a locker room cancer. The Packers wouldn’t be able to recoup the money paid either.