Tom Coughlin was “very upset” when he heard Eli Manning was benched

Getty Images

Jaguars executive vice president of football operations Tom Coughlin coached the Giants in 203 games, including the playoffs, and Eli Manning was the starting quarterback for all but nine of them, so it’s no surprise that he had a reaction to the news that Manning has been benched after 210 straight starts for the team.

Coughlin appeared on 1010XL in Jacksonville Tuesday to help raise money for The Jay Fund, a charity he created in honor of the late Jay McGillis after McGillis, who played for Coughlin at Boston College, died of leukemia. The move involving Manning came up when the discussion moved to football.

“Surprised is not the word,” Coughlin said, via Mike Garafolo of NFL Media. “My sentiments are totally with Eli Manning. I love the kid. He is a class act. He is a two-time Super Bowl champion. He is the finest, most humblest young man in that locker room. I haven’t followed the Giants. I know it’s a disappointing year by my thoughts are strictly with Eli. I’m very upset about when I heard that.”

It remains to be seen what the Giants will do with Manning come the offseason — he’s due a $5 million roster bonus on the third day of the 2018 league year — but his history with Coughlin means there’s little question that there will be speculation about him moving to Jacksonville as Blake Bortles‘ successor.

56 responses to “Tom Coughlin was “very upset” when he heard Eli Manning was benched

1. Way to throw gas on the fire Tom. LOL. Hey, speaking of Jacksonville, don’t they need a QB? Wouldn’t that be sweet of Eli went down there and won another super bowl.

2. This isn’t going to end soon.
    Next article get Reese’s reaction.
    Then John Mara’s.
    Then Peyton and Archie’s.

Then some former player will chime in for Manning. Then another for McAdoo.
    Brandon Marshall will then pipe up.

The conjecture and story telling tying them all together on who likes who and the internal Giants squabbles will know no bounds.

3. Eli will finish 6th all time in passing yards just under Dan Marino and McAdoo does nothing to Beckham

4. Not that I don’t agree with Tom Coughlin, but wouldn’t this be considered tampering seeing as he now works for Jacksonville? I realize he didn’t say anything like “I want him in Jacksonville” or anything like that. But sharing his displeasure regarding a move made by another team is something I thought was a big no no.

5. As an Eagles fan, i always rooted against Big Blue and Eli, never thought he was the best and did panic at times. However, he has won 2 SBs and was MVP there. He seems to have always been a class act. but his time has passed. The Giants need to prepare for the future and this year is obviously shot. Probably correct move.

6. I think benching Eli reeks of desperation on Mcdoodoos part. He probably knows he is getting fired if he does nothing, so if he can
    Somehow win a game or two with Geno, who couldn’t even start for the Jets. It will make him look smart and he can tell the owner he will save millions by dumping Eli and his contract. He will tell hi m he has the secret formula for Reno. Then Eli will go to a team with an offensive line and look great, while Reno stinks and him and Mcdodo both get fired half way through 2018 season. So he is trying to blame it all on Eli, and stay a HC for another season.
    Management must be stupid

7. Not that I don’t agree with Tom Coughlin, but wouldn’t this be considered tampering seeing as he now works for Jacksonville? I realize he didn’t say anything like “I want him in Jacksonville” or anything like that. But sharing his displeasure regarding a move made by another team is something I thought was a big no no.

Just an old friend showing some obvious displeasure to an incredulous move. Geno smith, really? He says what everyone thinks. Tampering is usually a problem behind the scenes, talking to agents and what not.

8. upnorthvikesfan says:

========================================================

9. By dumping Eli and promoting Geno Smith to starter, the Giants have guaranteed themselves a winning streak the next 5 games and a SB win and undefeated season next year. Oh, wait…………..

10. Football gods…please hear me:

Reunite the great Eli Manning with the old ball coach in Jax. Have them make the playoffs as a 4 seed. Beat SD, go up to Pitt in the freezing cold and beat Ben. Off to Foxboro for the most epic AFCCG in football history with Eli beating him thrice. Then onto the SB to crush the Eagles and shut up their miserable, forever Eli-hating, football ignorant mouths once and for all.

Please football gods….Amen.

11. Geno Smith can’t even tell time and that’s who Eli got benched for ?
    It’s sad that the guy ( McAdoo ) that made this decision won’t be around the day after the season ends so his claim to fame will be ” I benched Eli Manning “

12. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    November 28, 2017 at 4:35 pm
    Eli will end up in the AFC East. All those teams need a QB to compete with the Patriots.
    _______________
    Passing yards is the most “nothing” QB stat in the book!! It means nothing but often fools a lot of people. I mean, you can toss the ball behind the line of scrimmage and a RB or TE or WR can run for 60 yards and it somehow transforms into PASSING YARDS!!!!

13. everyone is getting young at the QB position, Eli is pretty much done at this point. McAdoo is also a terrible coach. NYG are going in rebuild mode this coming offseason, Eli should just retire.

14. “” Passing yards is the most nothing QB stat in the book” could quit possibly be the most idiotic statement from the beginning of time !

15. charliecharger says:
    November 28, 2017 at 6:20 pm

—————-
    Lol, and against the Patriots right?

16. I am not a Giants fan, but as a football fan, this is a piss poor decision. I love Steve Smith Sr response: “Ben Macadoo is running out of people to throw under the bus”

17. Sniveling little toady says:

—————-
    Lol, and against the Patriots right?

~~~~~~
    I have no dog in this fight other than I can’t stand Pats fans. Dude this is impossible. Look up AFC and NFC teams and get back to us.

18. elmerbrownelmerbrown says:
    November 28, 2017 at 6:24 pm
    Eli will finish 6th all time in passing yards just under Dan Marino…
    wahoo21 says:
    November 28, 2017 at 7:15 pm
    Geno Smith can’t even tell time and that’s who Eli got benched for ?
    ————————————————
    Well, Eli (50,625 yds) might not pass Elway (51,475) for the 6th spot if he doesn’t play the rest of the season and then retires. And secondly, Eli’s very mediocre career passer rating of 83.8 has dropped the last couple of games to 44.2, way below Geno’s mediocre career rating of 81.3. This change should have been made last week, if only to protect Eli, but wasn’t simply because Eli wanted to pass his brother’s 2nd-placed starting streak. And if Eli is retiring this changeover will see whether Geno has evolved at all, and at least Geno will be far more mobile to cope with that porous line. Won’t save McAdoo though, unless Mara can’t find a good replacement by camp.

19. I never thought that highly of Eli’s game.

And I don’t like it that the Giants prevented my Pats from owning 7 rings instead of 5.

But, I think Denver is in need of an experinced Quarterback to try and win a Super Bowl for a year or two while they still have defensive studs on their team. That sounds familiar..

Oh my….

The stories…

20. Tanking plain and simple. It won’t work though. My Raiders defense is so inept GENO (Uncle Rico) will throw for 300 and 4 TDS this weekend. No interceptions because … well they have 10 games to go before they get number 2 for this season.

21. Those guys Eli won those Super Bowls with are gone. They’re right to move on. Not sure what the Geno thing is all about, though.

22. amendolanator says:
    November 28, 2017 at 6:23 pm
    McAdoo might just be the most idiotic coach I’ve ever seen
    —————————————————————
    Ever watch Jason Garrett ?

23. amendolanator says:
    November 28, 2017 at 6:23 pm
    McAdoo might just be the most idiotic coach I’ve ever seen

————

Google: Rex Ryan

24. Really wish they could have made a trade happen before the deadline. An even mediocre threat at QB would have Jacksonville pushing for a championship this year.

25. Another reason Ted Thompson is an overrated clown. He has no backup with ANY experience when Rodgers goes down. He could have landed Eli from NY for a fifth rounder (GB will be flush with extra compensatory picks in 2018). Manning would have been light years better than this clown Hundley — being mentored by the QB guru Mike McCarthy.

Thompson sits on his hands — again.

26. Here’s where wib22 reminds us about the 2 rings again, everyone. Hopefully Eli will get to team like Jax or Denver & have a chance to go out with another shot at a ring. He beat an NFC team in bowl anytime!

27. The New York Dogs. My 66 year streak as a season ticket holder has come to an end. This is worse than the ticket burning days. Flea bitten dogs. They would rather bench Eli than dump Reece and McAdoo and admit the myriad mistakes? Saw mt first game at the Polo Grounds. Saw my last in The Meadowlands.

28. As an Iggles fan for 37 years, of course I hate the Giants and Eli. But always respected him as a player. The Tyree catch was too much Tyree and not enough of Eli escaping a sure sack to make the throw..like his career..under rated. The Giants with Eli have been a pain for us ( with us usually getting the best of him though..) but the G Men are going nowhere this year and their QB of the future isn’t on their roster now. So let Eli finish his NY career as the starter. It isn’t his fault they have no RBs, WRs going down like girls on Prow Night and the front office can’t draft. They built a very good defense last year but that Dumb Dumb Mac a poop coach that team..Second coming of Rich Kotite. I’m seeing our D fensive coach getting that job next year..kinda miss the rivalry

29. Hey Eli, welcome to the Browns! Since Peyton will be in charge of us next year, we’d love to extend you an offer to be our new QB. We are going to draft Josh Rosen, but would love for you to mentor him for a year or two. Plus with all of our draft picks, 60 plus million under cap and a brand new regime, we will protect you and get you some wide recievers. Hey, our defense is not that bad, and since big bro will be picking good players, you’ll be OK. By the way, we’ll have a new coach too. Welcome!

30. Eli will finish 6th all time in passing yards just under Dan Marino and McAdoo does nothing to Beckham
    =================

Eli is an ironman, no doubt, but any half way decent QB in the league for 13 years will have that many yards. I would agree that any 2X SB MVP winner should be treated better.

31. If only my Jags would have pulled off a trade for Eli, I think they would be a serious threat to the Pats for the AFC. Especially with our defense!!

32. As an Eagles fan i hope the Giants keep the Coach & GM wonder duo together for a few more years.

As a football fan what the Giants are doing to Eli is a disgrace. Let the guy finish the string out, draft a QB and let Webb, Smith and the new guy fight it out in camp. To bench Eli for Geno Smith under the guise of “evaluating the position “ is a joke.

33. I suspect the best thing about benching a future HOF’er like Eli Manning, is that it’ll become evident quickly that he was not the problem for the Giants’ woes this season, and that Geno Smith is not a long term solution at QB.

34. coffin made the obligatory comment for public consumption bu t come on, we’ve all watched manning for years. he stinks, an outrageously expensive pick machine. geno can play poorly for a lot less money.

35. This fake outrage is hilarious! A two win team can’t take a look at other QBs for the future???