Matt Ryan on Eli Manning: “I really feel for him”

Getty Images

Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan was stunned to see what happened to Giants quarterback Eli Manning yesterday.

Ryan said on PFT Live this morning that he reached out to Manning after he heard the news that Manning has been benched after starting 210 consecutive games, the second-longest streak for a quarterback in NFL history.

“I feel for him,” Ryan said. “I really do. For how consistent he’s been in his career, for what he’s done for that city, for that organization, it’s hard. I really feel for him. I’ve known Eli for a long time, he’s an absolute stud of a competitor and he’s even better off the field. So I hurt for him right now. I texted him last night just wishing him the best and letting him know I was thinking of him.”

The 32-year-old Ryan said he hopes to play as long as he can but knows the same could happen to him some day.

“Everybody knows that that is possible,” he said. “If it can happen to a guy like Eli or so many different players throughout the course of history, seeing how things end, that’s the scary part. You don’t allow yourself to go there as a player. You’re so focused on week-to-week and trying to take care of business this week. I’m not too worried about hopefully four or five years down the line or further than that, but it’s tough. The ends are usually not pretty and it’s a tough situation.”

Eventually, every player is replaced. Some day someone else will be the Falcons’ franchise quarterback. Ryan just has to hope it doesn’t happen as abruptly for him as it happened for Manning.

69 responses to “Matt Ryan on Eli Manning: “I really feel for him”

1. For crissakes it’s not like he died. He will be starting again by week 14 so all the so called sports media clowns need to save their collective faux tears and outrage.

2. Im an Eagles fan. Ive never liked Eli at all.

But this move by the Giants has scumbag written all over it.

Makes no sense except to tank. Should have traded Eli this season if that was your plan.

3. Giants fans seem to be really shocked that the team would do this to Eli. I don’t get it.

I think they are finally seeing who Mara really is. (don’t think for a second reese and mcdodo had input)

To the rest of us, this is obviously something we’ve come to expect from the cheatingest owner in all of pro sports.

4. Giants are 2-9.

The Bucs won two games with their back up.

I don’t see what the issue is.

Indi has won 3 games with their back ups.

Denver has won 3 games with their back ups.

5. Ahhh.. umm… I guess either nobody else got the memo or they are just playing the part. But, for 1. No way they eat that much salary for next year. and two. everyone know they are tanking the season because they have no chance. Just trying to get better draft stock to reload for next year. Better to send in the new kid and let him get his lunch handed to him than get Eli hurt.

6. I don’t understand all this anger as if the Giants took him out back to shoot him old yeller style. He’s nearing the end of his career. They stink and the season is trash. They need to see what they have in Davis Webb before the season actually wraps up and to prioritize their offseason personnel moves. Geno Smith is CLEARLY only being named this weeks starter so he’s the name associated with the end of that pretty good Eli era and not Webb. I would be willing to bet Eli was already aware that this was about to happen and not blindsided like the fans and media. And as a Steeler fan I tip my cap to him and his poise over it all.

Congrats to Eli and all Giants fans on a really successful decade and a half.

7. Get over it. They are 2-9 and not going anywhere
    And let’s not act like he’s one of the greats. He’s led the league 3 times in one thing INTERCEPTIONS.

His career record is 10 games over 500. They have won 1 playoff game in 6 years.

The papers in NY are acting like he died!

8. Eli isn’t the first overage under performing sports figure to get this treatment. So much drama and hand wringing for what?

9. Ok, this is getting out of hand. I understand why Giants fans are upset, but I don’t get everyone else’s reaction. The guy has not been good for a while now. He’s not above being benched. The Geno Smith part doesn’t make sense and I get why Giants fans are mad about that.

10. Father time has caught up to Eli Manning and it hasn’t helped that OBJ was loss for the season early on in the season and he has a coach who has no clue how to coach the team and a GM that doesn’t draft well!!

11. Eli is only upset because of his consecutive game streak coming to an end. But the Mannings always have been about personal stats have they not?

12. magnumpimustache says:
    November 29, 2017 at 9:16 am

No problems….
    ________________
    By the way, Eli is still 2-0 in Super Bowls against the Patriots and Brady. Get over it.

Also, apples and oranges. Are you really comparing a team with the Patriots talent and coaching staff – with Belichik likely being the greatest coach of all time – to the Giants? Clearly you just watch highlights on ESPN if you think the biggest problem the Giants had was Eli. How about the worst OL in the league for the past three years, zero running game, a terrible head coach, a completely incompetent GM who failed to address the OL and supply Eli with a poor team around him, and all of Eli’s WRs out for this year? While Eli has never been the most consistent QB, he has provided us Giants fans with two Super Bowls, one of which is arguably the greatest upset in the history of the NFL.

13. He didnt get “benched”. He was told that the other qb’s were going to get playing time but that he would still be given the option to start the games. Eli said that he didnt want to keep his start streak going under those conditions.

He was not going to be finishing games but it was HIS call to not be starting them.

14. nhpats says:
    November 29, 2017 at 9:23 am
    _________________________
    Like clockwork, here are the “I’m over those two HUGE Super Bowl losses” Patriots fans to comment on a Giants article yet again. News flash, genius, Eli was actually offered the option to play the first half of the remaining games to keep his streak going, and this was his response:

““Coach McAdoo told me I could continue to start while Geno and Davis are given an opportunity to play,” Manning said. “My feeling is that if you are going to play the other guys, play them. Starting just to keep the streak going and knowing you won’t finish the game and have a chance to win it is pointless to me, and it tarnishes the streak. Like I always have, I will be ready to play if and when I am needed. I will help Geno and Davis prepare to play as well as they possibly can.”

Eli will be classy Eli like he always is. You will just be another sad fan that can’t get over those monumental Super Bowl losses.

15. I think what we are seeing here is a rare moment in sports where being a class act counts for something ,,especially a two time Super Bowl MVP ,,the respect that has been shown towards him by his peers is awesome ,,,this could be a real lesson for our youth on how to carry yourself and that there is rewards for caring yourself with respect and dignity ,,Eli being Eli has had more of an impact than all the players who want to be different for their brand and what they don’t realize that by all of them acting different they are really acting the same and we are tire of it !

16. magnumpimustache says:
    November 29, 2017 at 9:16 am

No problems….
    ——————————————————————————————

Did he lose his top 3/4 receivers, have the worst o-line in the league, no running game, a gm that doesn’t know what hes doing, or have a coach that can’t call a decent play?

I didn’t think so.

You pats fans really need to let the 2 super bowl losses go.

17. suncawy says:
    November 29, 2017 at 9:13 am

When was the last time a 2 time Super Bowl championship quarterback was benched ? Somehow, I don’t believe it has happened before
    ____________________

Joe Montana was benched for Young in a playoff game.

18. You’d think the Giants could have at least come us with some sort of phantom plantar fasciitis injury to let Eli save some face here. Of course, maybe they offered that to Eli but he wouldn’t go along with it. If so, I don’t blame him.

Bottom line is Eli was an important part of two SB teams, no matter how you look at it, and he deserved better than this.

disclaimer – I’m a Pats fan so surely my opinion is based upon sour grapes, is biased and is an attempt to trash Eli. or so they say.

19. magnumpimustache says:
    November 29, 2017 at 9:16 am
    By the way Brady lost his top receiver and another receiver before the start of the season and the captain of the defense….
    ————————————–

Unfortunately for Eli he did not lose his team’s Head Coach.

Ben McAdoo is not Bill Belichick.

20. McAdoo is so bad he’ll win out and fail at tanking.
    But seriously, their draft stock is sky high as is, Giants need zero help at tanking… they simply suck this year.

21. I dont like the Cowboys or Giants…. or Jerry Jones. Jerry Jones at least had some class when he escorted Tony Romo the exit doors. And Romo didnt win anything for the Cowboys. Eli lead two game winning drives the help the Giants win two Superbowls.

To do this mid season, after all he has done for the franchise is despicable.

22. I am not a Giants fan, but I think that’s a horrible thing to do to Eli. It’s not his fault
    the Offensive line sucks. Its down to management, and obviously if they are starting Geno
    they have no clue. He is awful, and just wait until Sunday to see it. What did he do with the
    Jets, nothing at all.

23. “yooperman says: He learn this from Kurt Warner, who was upset with the Giants, but still help Eli.”

1) Kurt didnt win anything for the Giants.
    2) Geno smith is not a rookie.

24. He’s probably more embarrassed by Geno Smith replacing him than by being benched… Geno Smith? Seriously

25. By the way Brady lost his top receiver and another receiver before the start of the season and the captain of the defense.

No problems…
    =====

Yeah, I’d love to see Brady with this dumpster fire Giants organization.

He’d be 2-9 as well.

… probably not, he’d wake up next to Giselle, realize he was 1-8, and decide he had better things to do with his life.

26. Obviously the defense picked it up near the end of 2011, but they were garbage. I really think because Eli CARRIED that team with many come from behind wins to the superbowl, it contributed to them putting garbage around him and expecting a miracle.

Giants Defense ranks going back to 2011: Rushing offense Passing
    2017 31 26 23
    2016 10 29 17
    2015 32 18 7
    2014 23 23 7
    2013 29 29 19
    2012 31 14 12
    2011 27 won Superbowl 32 5

27. 345snarkavenue says:
    November 29, 2017 at 10:08 am

________________________
    You’re an outlier here. Just read Giants articles and see how many of your team’s fans trash the Giants and Eli day in and day out. Us Giants fans appreciate some of you guys acting with class.

28. nhpats says:
    November 29, 2017 at 9:23 am
    Eli is only upset because of his consecutive game streak coming to an end
    _______________________________

Manning was offered the start to keep the streak alive but didn’t want to sully it that way. I understand you want to tweak the Giants fans like enemabrown and mswright that routinely pollute Pats threads but Dude please, trollaw doesn’t need help making Pats fans look bad. This Pats fan has serious respect for Eli. I believe Mara and Reese should rot in football hell for wasting what should have been the best years of Eli’s career. They gave him squat for an o-line and journeyman at best RB’s and expected him to make chicken salad out of chicken bleep. If you think Brady or Montana would have succeeded with that motley collection around them you are sadly mistaken.

This has been the subject of sports talk here in NE just like it is elsewhere. The talk is 10-1 in Eli’s favor and everyone is laughing at Reese, Mara and McAdoodle but I am hearing nothing but good things about how Eli has carried himself. When it comes to how to handle things when they are against you his older brother could learn a thing or two from him.

29. Manning showed a lot of class standing at his locker answering questions when he was obviously emotional about this decision. I think mot other guys would have packed up there stuff and gone home without taking to anyone.

30. Giants fans love bringing up the superbowl wins because NE has been successful since and they havent and thats all they have to write home about. By the way this is completely wrong to do to Manning, he is not the reason their offense is in shambles. All his WR are injured and they never drafted him an adequate OL. Elis best years are behind him but this pretty much makes a divorce inevitable in the future. The draft is a crapshoot are they really going to take their chances with a high pick leading this team when they very well wouldve ended up with a high pick and couldve kept Manning (who is in decline but still serviceable) for next year as well. Benching him for a 1st rounder wouldve made sense but Geno taking over is crazy. Geno is a NFL backup and Eli has 0 weapons. There is no chance either QB does better than Eli couldve. They are faster but they definitely dont have a quicker release or better pocket awareness. Eli could head to the AFC. Hed made Jacksonville a hell of a alot better and would give PIT and NE some direct competition. They could cut Bortles then groom Eli’s replacement. The only way Eli stays is if McAdoo is fired but even then I doubt it. This is pretty disrespectful.

31. gmen05 says:
    November 29, 2017 at 10:57 am

_______________________________________________________

No, snark is not an outlier. You are judging all Pats fans by the actions of a few. You will never find anything I have posted regarding Eli that hasn’t praised him and damned Reese. The ‘water cooler’ talk here is all pro Eli. The problem with trolling, and you have done some, is it invites a rejoinder. You will find a couple of Giants fans that routinely troll the Pats (wright, brown, arwiv, etc) would you want us tarring all Giants fans with their brush?

32. “How consistent he is”

Average 17 picks a season, is only 3 picks behind Drew Brees on the active interception list, and has nearly 2,000 fewer attempts.

Consistent indeed.

33. The last time Eli had a decent O-Line, he won the Super Bowl. The talent on this team has been shallow for years and now it seems their PR guy has lost his mind. They need to clean house from top to bottom.

34. I fully understand that the NFL is about what you are doing right now as a player and not based on past performance. However, at least run your organization with dignity and respect.

It would be very east you have Eli continue to start games and if the game is competitive then no change. If the game starts to get out of hand then give the back up some reps. That’s normal. Also, the backup should be Davis Webb, not Geno Smith. Geno Smith has already been proven to be a back up at best. No reason to give him reps if it is to assess someone as a potential starter, because he is not.

Announcing in advance to Eli that he will be pulled from every game and that you will given him the honorary start to keep him streak going is probably the most pathetic thing I have ever heard and it is no way to treat a 2 time Super Bowl winning QB.

35. walker1191 says:
    November 29, 2017 at 11:08 am

———–

Imagine the guy played through so many injuries and now he is a healthy scratch for Geno Smith??? It’s beyond making no sense.

36. psousa1 says:
    November 29, 2017 at 8:57 am

——————-

It’s the fact that he had the second longest start streak to Favre and they are sitting him for a known bum QB that Eli is clearly way better than. He wasn’t beat out.

37. Flash1287 says:
    November 29, 2017 at 9:15 am
    Get over it. They are 2-9 and not going anywhere
    The papers in NY are acting like he died!

————-

I think you are missing the point. They are benching him and ending his start streak for GENO SMITH!!!!

Getting Davis Webb some reps in garbage time would have been fine. Eli could have kept the streak going and tried to get a starting job with another team next year.

Giants also could have asked to trade Eli before the deadline and he probably would have agreed given this alternative.

If Eli was beat out by a good young QB or if he was injured and lost his job that’s one thing. He’s a healthy scratch for GENO SMITH with his only alternative being charity starts.

38. Giants are going nowhere this year. Season is done. Might as well take a look at Geno and let others look at him, he probably sucks, but has been practicing and hopefully learning the last few years… Might as well get a look and film on Webb and see what they have.

Need a lot of changes for next year. Looks like it will take them a few years to get back on track.
    Hope they are not stupid enough to pay the over-rated cancer OBJ a ton to stay, might as well shop his azz too.
    Re-build from the line up…

39. I have not watched the giants enough to know for certain but it reeks of desperation. Gino is not the answer unless the question is about QB’s that were busts.

40. It seems from reading these posts no one will listen because I have rooted for new England since they started plunkett. They sucked mostly or were at best mediocre and i took lots of abuse staying with the home team.
    I have never done anything but praise other teams when they won and wish some times we had some of your Ayers. That said, i think Eli is not the problem. Poor drafting, injuries, salary decisions that failed (letting somebody go over $) and bad coaching. I bet New Englands coach could take Eli right now and win with him. Ok tear me apart cause I am a pats fan

41. A few years back Ryan was in a similar situation. After losing to the 49ers in the championship game, the team started losing, although they did not bench Ryan. They fired the head coach instead. The Giants’ head coach may be let go soon.

42. This guy has lived and will live better than 95 percent of us. He’s got two trophies, played on some really good teams. Spare me the angst.

43. Let’s stop acting like Eli has passed away. He’ll still get a shot to play in this league…just not this year and maybe for another team. And Eli himself shot down the idea of starting a game and then leaving just to keep a record going. Doesn’t take away from his ability or toughness by having the streak end.

44. Another Eagles fan. Eli is in decline, but he’s still better than most QBs in the league. The problem is that roster stinks. And that’s down to the GM and the coach.

45. It baffles me why some organizations just seem to like to shoot themselves in the foot:

– 49’rs fire Harbaugh after a winning season and now they suck eggs
    – Giants fire Caughlin and now they suck eggs.
    – The Browns just suck eggs.

Why don’t some teams seem to want to win?

46. The move is fine, the Giants are 2-9 and need to evaluate some players. While I appreciate the streak and what it represents, the team and the future is more important. However, the way they handled it is terrible. Plain and simple.

47. With all due respect to Eli and his borderline HOF credentials—he is an underwhelming quarterback much of the time. Throws too many interceptions. Doesn’t go to the playoffs nearly enough. He’s not good enough to overcome the receiver injuries and inept O-line play of the Giants. That’s part of the reason they’re 2-9.

However, no one has been classier or tougher and he’s played huge when he’s had the chance to win it all. Replacing him with Geno freaking Smith is an absolute slap in the face. It’s not like there’s a Steve Young waiting in the wings.

Eli Manning deserves much better than this for what he’s meant to the organization.

48. He’s getting what he deserves, a trip to the bench for his terrible play. As far as his HOF credentials, he’ll get in on a pass that a guy pinned to his helmet and for a pass that was thrown on a wing and a prayer that Mario Manningham somehow pulled down. Oh, also his name.

49. Flash1287 says:
    November 29, 2017 at 9:15 am
    Get over it. They are 2-9 and not going anywhere

The papers in NY are acting like he died!

===========================================
    You left out 2-0 in the Super Bowl. Maybe not a record but more than most.

50. razzlejag says:
    November 29, 2017 at 5:30 pm

—————-

Statistically he’s doing better this year then he has in most other years. It’s mostly the supporting cast all going down for the season that has killed the offense. As for the defense, who knows.

51. My only rational is the coasch staff said ,ok we will let you start to keep your record going but finally said enough. Its not working, screw your record we want to move on and your out.