Case Keenum named NFC Offensive Player of the Month

Getty Images

Vikings quarterback Case Keenum is finally getting the credit he deserves.

Keenum, who was thrown into tough situations early in his career with the Texans and the Rams and was practically set up to fail, has now found himself in Minnesota playing very well and having the Vikings on the cusp of winning the NFC North. As a result, Keenum has been named NFC Offensive Player of the Month in November.

It was a month in which Keenum completed 69 of 97 passes for 866 yards, with seven touchdowns and two interceptions, for a passer rating of 114.0. It’s also a month in which Keenum was sacked only twice, as he continued to show an incredible pocket presence. And a month in which Keenum never fumbled, as he still hasn’t all season. Football Outsiders’ DVOA statistic ranks Keenum as the best quarterback in the NFL this season.

And, of course, the Vikings went 3-0 in November. They’re winning, and Keenum is leading the way.

69 responses to “Case Keenum named NFC Offensive Player of the Month

1. He better not have 1 bad game or he is getting benched. Because Teddy Bridgewater was so impressive when he played.

2. Ok Minnesota now do the Viking thing & bench him for a quarterback who has’t played in over a year!!Stupid organization!! Skol!!

3. It’s like when you get married when you’re just out of college. Something doesn’t quite work out. You both change. Get older and wiser. And part ways. But then you find that right relationship. That’s Case and the Vikings. They’re dating right now. Maybe a few sleepovers. Case has taken over one dresser drawer, part of the closet. It might be time to make this permanent. No, not marriage. That’s dumb. Once was enough. But Case and the Vikings should get a place together with a long term lease. Before another team comes along and woos Case away.

4. Congrats to CK7. He’s certainly saying and doing everything right lately. I can see why Zim is taking this week to week with who starts, but I doubt Case’s leash is as short as when Teddy first came back.

5. Why was he set up to fail with the Texans? Great defense. They have good receivers, had a great back when he was there, didn’t they? I don’t know much about them but from the outside, they looked very much like the Vikings.

6. snowlock2013 says:
    November 30, 2017 at 10:28 am

snowlock, Maybe! but it shows what good coaches can do for a team, The Texan coaches sucked then and they suck now. Hats off to zim and his staff !!

7. Good for him. This just proves how bad a coach Jeff Fisher was. Last year with the Rams, Keenum didn’t look like a starting NFL QB in that awful Rams offense.

8. Who in MN is saying bench Keenum you brilliant fans from New England. Because the media drums the story and Zimmer messes with you each week to keep the opposing teams thinking you say mn wants to bench him. I’m yet to meet a Viking fan who has said they should bench him. Reading comments on PFT does make you dumber no question at all.

Side note: I still can’t believe he is playing this well. Nice Work Case. Kid is making some money this year and going to make it very hard to re-sign Teddy.

9. Wait, I had a ton of salty Eagles fans screaming at me this morning on the PFT pro-bowl fan voting thread that Wentz was the greatest player in the entire league, so what happened here Philly?

10. nhpats says:

November 30, 2017 at 10:11 am

and yet silly Vikings fans want to bench him for Teddy 0.8-TD-per-game Bridgewater!!!

————-

Actually very few Vikings fans want Teddy to play. As a person, the state love him as a person but he wasn’t lights out when he played. The team won by defense and running the ball. With Bradford (now gone) and Case the team has had a better passing game. Most MN fans are behind case.

11. It’s great to have a article on PFT that the packer trolls have no comment on. Way to go Case! To all those saying the Viking fans want to bench Case for Teddy, you are wrong. While we all love Teddy this is Cases team. What a wonderful problem to have. 3 starting QBs on one team. SKOL!

12. objectivefootballfan says:
    ——————————
    probably has to do with how soft the Eagles schedule has been. The teams they beat over the past month had a combined record of 11-26 when they played them.

13. a great coach once said: don’t tell me about the labor, show me the baby. this whole team has been doing that well to this point. people that don’t watch this team seem to have no idea that the offense is top 5 just like the defense.

14. It’s interesting to see how poorly Jared Goff and Case Keenum played under Jeff Fisher. Hell I thought Goff was a bust after his rookie year.

And those calling for Bridgewater, realize he’s never thrown for more than 14 TD’s in either of his seasons and never threw for less than 14 INTs in a season either.

15. Case will be cashing in this offseason, unless he goes to hell in the next month. Buyer beware though…..could just be a combination of the system and the players around him, not to mention a great D that does not require over 25 pts every week to win. Could he end up being 2018’s version of Mike Glennon/Brock Osweiler?

16. As a 40 year Vikes fan I think the right thing to do would be to add some money to Case’s current contract, I believe its a 1 year 2 million dollar deal. I just think you show the guy some love and add an additional 2 or 3 million to it for this year, I’m sure there would be a way to make this happen. I mean when you watch this guy play he stands in the pocket even when he knows he going to get drilled like on the TD pass in the corner of the end zone to the TE. Guy has also taken a hit or two when he scrambles and seems to be tough as nails. I’m not ready to anoint him the next Tom Brady but it sure seems something has “clicked” where he is able to avoid sacks but still know where his receivers are and then make intelligent throws for the most part. Confidence is a dangerous animal in the world of athletics and right now Case is a confident gunslinger who is owning the moment.
    Looks good on ya kid – keep it going.

17. Further cements Jeff Fischer as not hire-able.

I suppose he could be a DC at a small college and work his up as a DC. Maybe. But I wouldn’t want him as my HC at pick a Div3 football program.

18. PS: Osweiller and Glennon got all that money while Fischer and O’Brien caused Keenum to live out of suitcase. He seemed like a great guy on those two TV shows, so good for him and his wife.

Hopefully when he gets paid (and someone will pay him) he will remain the same. The NFL needs all the QB’s it can get.

19. egomaniac247 says:
    November 30, 2017 at 12:00 pm

________

In the interest of accuracy, I’d like to point out that Teddy has never thrown 14 interceptions in a year. He had 12 his rookie year and 9 his second year.

Also, I hate comparing apples and oranges. The offense in which Teddy was throwing 14 TD passes is nothing like this offense. Terrible offensive line, no receivers, and built around Adrian Peterson getting the ball 25 times a game, including every time inside the 10-yard line.

Case Keenum never threw for more than 9 TDs in a year before getting into this situation. Why would anyone not expect Bridgewater to benefit in the same way?

20. The Vikings have had ProBowl-caliber play from their quarterbacks for two seasons. The only piece they’ve needed was the quarterback, and now they apparently have it.

Every year Viking fans set the bar for the Packers in the postseason. Because of Rodgers and Rodgers only (the rest of the team didn’t matter whatsoever,) Viking fans have maintained if the Packers didn’t win the SuperBowl, every year, it’s a choke-job. Every year they say the same thing. Being postseason underdogs, on the road, losing in overtime, didn’t matter.

So. The shoe is on the other foot. The Vikings have had terrific performances from the quarterback position for quite some time. They have a “vaunted” defense. Vikings fans claim they have had a much better all-around team for years, years, with the exception of the quarterback. They now have that too.

It may sound unfair, severe even, but if the Vikings don’t win the SuperBowl, I guess it’s a choke-job. I mean, what’s good for the goose is good for the gander, right? I’m glad Packer fans didn’t make those rules. We’d never hear the end of it.

I wish the Vikings the best of luck. The bar has been set. I hope they don’t choke.

21. If I were Case. I’d defer to the team. His numbers are great, but we all know it’s not a one man show.

22. As a Packers fan, I have to tip my hat to Case Keenum. The guy has played way better than anyone thought he would. He’s also a nice guy and very smart. He doesn’t have a big arm and that might hurt him in a cold weather playoff game, but Vikings fans can still be pretty confident in him playing well.
    I also like Adam Thielen a lot. He reminds me of Jordy Nelson in that he is flying under the radar all the time but all he does is go out and play well each week. I also like that he’s pretty low key, like Jordy. There are enough me-me players at WR and it’s refreshing to see that he isn’t one of them.
    Jordy Nelson has been one of the best WR’s in football for a long time, but he never gets mentioned when they talk about the best. He led the league in TD’s last year (at WR) but no one even remembers it. I have a feeling Thielen will be looked at the same way.
    So, Vikings fans — you have a very good team and if the breaks go your way, you could finally get back to another Super Bowl. If you do, Keenum will be in the running for MVP.

23. Though the CheddarHeads will argue out of shear ignorance, Case is clearly the best QB in the NFC North even if Erin Rodgers was still playing.
    When was the last time Rodgers won a monthly honor like this.
    I’ll tell you, Never!
    The Vikes can’t be stopped.
    We’ve been held back in the past by injuries and bad officiating, but not this year.
    Go Vikes!!!

24. nhpats says:
    November 30, 2017 at 10:11 am
    _______________________

No shock to see you again putting words in people’s mouths that NO ONE is saying. Not a single Viking fan is saying to bench him. Please quit with the straw man arguments.

25. Congrats Case – I think everyone will have too many questions regarding Teddies durability – questions that Case does not present, to commit a big long term contract to Teddy over Case.

26. stellarperformance says:
    November 30, 2017 at 12:57 pm

________

Thanks for the cut and paste comment again; I hadn’t seen it yet today.

Now may I point out, again, that the Vikings did not have Pro Bowl-caliber play from their quarterback last year, as evidenced by the fact that their quarterback did not make the Pro Bowl.

I would also add that their current quarterback has been playing at a Pro Bowl level only for the last few weeks. Who knows if it will continue?

I don’t see a few weeks of Pro Bowl-caliber play as equivalent to having a Hall of Fame quarterback for decades. I guess you do.

Let me also say that Packer fans predict that their team will win the Super Bowl every single year. When they don’t win, I guess they choked because they failed to meet expectations.

Your rules, not mine.

27. Well deserved!

Those who think Zimmer is mishandling this, when did Teddy come off the PUP?
    OH that’s right, one month ago….

How has Keenum performed since then?
    OH… just player of the month, no big deal…

Keenum will probably come back to earth eventually, and Zimmer can decide if he wants to see what Teddy can do…

and they still need a QB next year and beyond. A great year out of Keenum smells a lot like Ryan Fitzpatrick or Josh McCown… one year wonder veterans, who over perform, get paid, and regress to the mean.

If Sam ‘Glass’ Bradford and Case ‘Who?’ Keenum can do this well in a Shurmur offense, don’t you kind of want to see how well Teddy can run it??

28. Well, the stars are certainly aligned for the Barneys this season.
    Now it just comes down to weather they can close the deal or suffer an embarrassing, epic choke!
    It sure should be interesting, to say the least.

29. stella give it a rest. no one cares that you and your delusional fan base think the vikings will choke because they dont win the super bowl.

see a choke is, and everyone else in the world knows it, 4th and 26, 15 and 1, Favre int v giants, Kap running wild 2x, Larry Fitz, atl and the most epic: the 2014 NFC choke-ionship game.

30. egomaniac247 says:
    November 30, 2017 at 12:00 pm

——————-

Box Score Watcher….. can always tell the guy who looks at the stats and comes up with an opinion. Oh, and the stats you posted are wrong, BTW…

good luck

31. “Bradford set the NFL record for single-season completion percentage, finishing his first season in purple at 71.6. Bradford also set a franchise record for most completions in a season with 395. He surpassed Daunte Culpepper, who had 379 completions in 2004 and led the league and also topped Culpepper’s franchise-best completion percentage of 69.2 in 2004. Even more impressive is that Sam Bradford was able to accomplish this feat with a team which ranked dead last in running the ball and suffered multiple season ending injuries along their offensive line.”

I think most football fans would call this ProBowl-caliber. Add in Bridgewater the year before and Keenum this year and there are no excuses.

It’s a shame that some Viking fans are already back-pedaling and hedging their bets, questioning their previous certainty the Vikings have been better all-around than the Packers for years. If the Packers come up short of winning the SuperBowl and they’re chokers for it, and the Vikings are better than them because of the ProBowl-caliber play of their quarterbacks, why would Viking fans question the rules they established? That doesn’t sound fair, does it?

Hey……don’t look at me……jealous Viking fans set the bar for the Packers every postseason. It’s undeniable. The bar is now set for the Vikings. It’s their rules, nobody else’s.

Good luck! Don’t choke!

I sure hope they don’t choke. That wouldn’t be right.

32. nhpats says:
    November 30, 2017 at 10:11 am

and yet silly Vikings fans want to bench him….
    )))))))))))))))))))
    Actually what is silly is a fake Pats fans speaking for Vikings fans. I know of not one Vikings fan that wants to bench Case Keenum. Not one. Case Keenum has been great this season for the Vikings, Case deserves the raise he is going to get and the new contract he will soon be signing. And Case deserves this award.

33. Love to see a player grind for years and then find a winning combo. Lifelong Saints fan here, but I have a soft spot for the Vikings this year— even though they cleaned our clock in the opener. “Never” is a long time to go without a championship. Saints have theirs, just might be that magical year for Minnesota.

34. aarons444 says:
    November 30, 2017 at 1:46 pm
    Wow.There is a QB in this League other than Tom Brady?
    Recount!
    ))))))))))))))))))))
    Nonfootball fan. Brady plays in the AFC. That makes it impossible for him to be the NFC offensive player of the Month.

35. Seriously, who the heck would have ever predicted this?

And more good news, at least the couple cheesers still around didn’t double down and reference the Pack’s old championships with their tortured “choke” analysis – it appears they are making remarkable progress.

36. I’d like to make it clear that I believe any team that qualifies for the postseason deserves to be recognized and has earned my respect, regardless of how far they advance. It’s just that…….Viking fans don’t think similarly. It’s now become a matter of living by the sword and dying by the sword. The criteria, i.e.; “rules,” have been clearly established by Viking fans. Don’t look at me.

Good luck! I hope it won’t be necessary to force-feed your own words to you much longer.

37. packrh8tr says:
    November 30, 2017 at 1:42 pm

________

Exactly. It isn’t the fact that the Packers lost in the playoffs, it’s the way they lost that makes it a choke. You go 15-1 and get blown out by a 9-7 team at home? Choke. You have a 12-point lead with 3 minutes left and lose? Choke.

I don’t agree that losing on the road to a superior team is a choke. That’s going too far, although you could say it’s underachieving because of Packer fans’ wildly unrealistic expectations for their team every year.

The Vikings have their own history of choking in the playoffs. Gary Anderson wide left? Choke. Blair Walsh wide left? Choke. Of course, these are more individual chokes than total team collapses like the ones for which the Packers have become famous.

38. In Teddy We Trust says:
    November 30, 2017 at 4:15 pm
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////

I would think four not-even-close losses in SuperBowl games could be considered a “team effort.” There was a 41-0 loss in a championship game that comes to mind. Was that the kickers’ fault too?

39. stellarperformance says:
    November 30, 2017 at 12:57 pm

///////////////////

Give us a break, we all know that you are praying the Vikings choke. It would be a successful packer season if they do.
    Dilly,Dilly, #dontlookatme

40. Everyone who thinks Keenum should get paid need to cool their jets before they slip off of the bandwagon. This team is NOT one guy. Many QBs would succeed on this TEAM. It’s a product of depth of talent on both sides of the ball and especially coaching. Bridgewater would go up and down the field with this offense and a defense that has solidified since 2015 he would have no handcuffs.

41. VikingPride says:
    November 30, 2017 at 1:15 pm
    When was the last time Rodgers won a monthly honor like this.
    I’ll tell you, Never!
    —————————————————————-
    That’s because he was busy winning 2 MVPs!!!