Gronk apologizes for cheap shot, complains about lack of calls

AP

Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski somehow avoided ejection after a flying forearm to the head of Bills cornerback Tre'Davious White after White was out of bounds at the tail end of an interception in the fourth quarter of Sunday’s 23-3 Patriots win, but his actions will certainly merit another look from the league as they dole out disciplinary action this week.

Gronkowski addressed the dirty play after the game by apologizing to White.

“First off I definitely want to apologize to No. 27,” Gronkowski said, via Phil Perry of NBC Sports Boston. “I’m not in the business of that. It was just a lot of frustration. I was just really frustrated at that moment … Just want to apologize to Tre’Davious White. I don’t really believe in types of shots like that.”

Gronkowski’s frustration came from a lack of calls for holding or illegal contact on Bills defenders, including what he felt was a hold by White before the interception.

“It’s, like, crazy. I mean … Like, what am I supposed to do? And then they don’t call that? It was just frustration. That’s what happened.”

White was evaluated for a head injury after the hit and Bills safety Micah Hyde said after the game that Gronkowski’s apology doesn’t make it any less of a dirty play by the Patriots tight end.

69 responses to “Gronk apologizes for cheap shot, complains about lack of calls

1. Forget about all the pushing off he does though, right? I guess these guys just want to go up against cardboard cut outs of defenders instead of actual people so they can go untouched and unchallenged.

2. If only a defender would drop an elbow on him after every time he pushes off would he have a valid argument

3. You’re right. I can’t believe they swallowed their whistle on that intentional grounding on Brady after he tripped on his own player. You and Amendola committed an unsportsmanlike penalty like Hyde and Hughes did. Unfortunately being mean to the refs is more important than trying to end someone’s career.

4. No level of frustration excuses that hit, Gronk deserves whatever he gets by way of punishment. That doesn’t let that crew off the hook though, they should get double what he does. It’s a tribute to how well coached both teams are there weren’t flat out fisticuffs in that game, it was that poorly officiated all the way around. Bad spots, holding and PI on both teams were so haphazard it was hard to believe. Everyone else pretty much kept their cools though which makes Gronk’s self indulgence even more glaring.

5. The only player that gets away with more OPI than Gronk is Hopkins. That whole team was out of control. Dirty shots, fighting with coaches. BB has officially lost this team.

6. “thermanmerman99 says:
    December 3, 2017 at 5:05 pm
    Screamin a Smith and jemele Hill will be crying racism on Monday, just a heads up”

Thanks, but I won’t be watching

7. oh yeah. you should physically harm someone because you are mad at the refs. This deserves a suspension.

8. “Gronkowski has a point, but not one that excuses what he did and not one that should lessen the penalty from the league.”

So, Gronk should get punished while the league goes on with asymmetric rules enforcement that puts him and the Pats at a disadvantage? I think not.

9. canadianbillsfan says:
    December 3, 2017 at 5:06 pm
    “He held me so I gave him an injury that might plague the rest of his career. But it’s the refs fault!”

Okay drama queen

10. It was a bad shot, and he shouldn’t have done it. Period. Setting thatbfact aside, he was held on the play, then pushed away from the pass in what was clearly pass interference, none of it called. He was called for OPI earlier in the game when he did nothing. And several times during the game, including twice on the same play, he took shots to the face mask while lying on field. The refs lost control of this game, and Gronk lost control of his emotions as a result. Not excusing him, but if you took the Patriots jersey off 87 and put hi. On your own team you’d be outraged at the abuse he takes every week without getting calls. Reminds me of Shaq in th NBA.

11. Doesn’t excuse a cheap shot Gronkowski you deserve a hefty fine and a 1-2 game suspension. However, unfortunately since Alonso and Suh weren’t suspended for their hits against the Ravens I could see the NFL taking the cop out.

12. JustBlameTrumpOrRussia says:
    December 3, 2017 at 5:11 pm

———–

Get that boy some milk!

Typical hater comment.

13. Gronk: I’m sorry Tre! I just got mad cuz you were grabbing at me when I was trying to push you ten yards off the route.

White: Sure Gronk. As soon as my blurry vision, tingly hands and my MRI results come in I’ll write a thank you card.

14. Hey Gronk………. It works both ways. I think the Pats got their share of questionable calls. Happens every damn game in the NFL. If it’s that frustrating then let it out on the real cause and not a defenseless player laying out of bounce and his face in the dirt.

Apologize all you want. Typical Patriots move…… cheat and play dirty! You suck!!

15. Of course he is contrite now, Belichick probably didnt even let him get to his locker before the first reaming.. BB has no patience for stupid stuff, Gronk is gonna pay with more than what the league does. A lot more.

16. Flash1287 says:
    December 3, 2017 at 5:22 pm
    canadianbillsfan says:
    December 3, 2017 at 5:06 pm

Okay drama queen

1 0 Rate This
    Leave a Re

Another example of why Patriot fans are such dirt bags. We’re the situation reversed there would be an avalanche of comments from the Patriots Internet Trolling Team crying about this horrible dirty play…..hope he gets three games for being a meathead.

17. It was a cheap shot, yes. But Gronk was getting held on every play. No joke. On the pick he was held twice, and got pushed down before the ball came. Another on obvious PI not called. Good job by Romo on even saying how bad the holding was on Gronk all day

18. goodell
    has gone overboard
    to cheat

been going in all year

they must have had a meeing in the offseason and the refs are in on it

the phantom pi call on him
    on the first drive out of halftime
    was clearly an order from 345 park ave

on the play here where this happened, he was held twice and then interfered
    with where the entire pats sideline was in utter shock there
    was still no flag

goodell’s cheating is so overboard, so obvious, it is just unreal what he tries to do to swing games and affect seeding

19. spencekin says:
    December 3, 2017 at 5:13 pm

18 30 Rate This

—————

late hits happen every
    week in this league and do not carry suspensions

period

gronk has no track record either

if i see one more suh or burfict cheap shot with only a piddly fine, with no suspension….

20. patsfan1820 says:
    December 3, 2017 at 5:26 pm

——————-
    I am sort of cracking up seeing the same Dolphins fans that were defending those guys just a couple weeks ago here now doing a self righteous 180 over Gronk. Its more about not wanting Gronk to play against them than any caring about clean play.

But still I do agree he should get a game off. Just because the league should have done it to Suh and Alonzo too doesn’t change what Gronk did.

21. If anything, he should have done that to the officials. Now that would have been fun to see. Then pick him up and powerbomb him onto the goal post.

22. limitfive says:
    December 3, 2017 at 5:28 pm

0 2 Rate This

—————

a different set of rules are applied to the pats to try to cheat them
    and slow them down

23. Any suspension of Gronk….would be no more than hitting a QB when he slides…After watching the Dolphins [ biggest cheap shot artists in NFL] not get fined for several nasty shots last week…I doubt a suspension coming.

BUT, maybe the best thing for Patriots…give him a rest for Dolphin game, and full guns for Steelers…The guy gets held and cheap shotted every play out there….Because NO ONE can cover him.

LOL, whatever punishment he gets…will be nothing compared to what Belichick does to him tomorrow in film study

24. no…no…this is very different..i watch plenty of football to know that this crap against the pats is very,very different

a different set of rules are applied to the pats to try to cheat them
    and slow them down

0 0 Rate This
    Leave

What are you smoking? Gronk pushes off as much as he is held. Speaking of holding the Pat’s o-line gets the good hands award for holding .

Come on troll stop being such a biased homer it is making you look like your room temp IQ.

25. Nofoolnodrool says:
    December 3, 2017 at 5:31 pm
    Flash1287 says:
    December 3, 2017 at 5:22 pm
    canadianbillsfan says:
    December 3, 2017 at 5:06 pm

Okay drama queen

1 0 Rate This
    Leave a Re

Nofool drama queen #2

Does anyone else see the IRONY in this clown calling anyone a troll.

Mr “I don’t comment on every Patriots article”

Yeah, remember when you said that

#crybaby

26. You want to see “Drama Queen?” I hope Hughes goes straight for Brady’s knees in 3 weeks. All of these “Die Hard Patriots fans from way back in 2001” tears will flood Foxboro.

27. It was a cheap shot and he deserves his punishment.
    That said, whenever I watch a college game, i never see a problem with the officiating. Sure they make a bad call once in a while. But in the NFL, every game I watch the officiating is a HUGE problem. Why can the NCAA get things right, and the NFL can’t? Two words: Roger Goodell.
    The person they want to pay $50m a year to.

28. Get away with OPI???? Maybe historically but today flags were flying for non-existent OPI. Nothing was “gotten away” with there. Still a cheap shot, against a team that knows a thing or two about cheap shots, but frustration is pretty understandable.

29. I’m really surprised the Bills team simply stood by after that dirty hit. Had I’d been on that field we’d still be fighting. Dirtiest hit I’ve ever seen. That means there’s knee shots coming his way again soon.

30. theandy59 says:
    December 3, 2017 at 5:22 pm

26 9 Rate This

——————-

nailed it

31. Hey refs, how about you do your freaking job, stop trying to influence the game or compensate for a dominate team/player??? Then emotions don’t run so high on the field.

32. I’m still sitting here wondering how that wasnt holding twice and pass interference once on the bills, all by one person on one play.

one flag on that play could have prevented 4 or 5 flags after it. NFL needs to start training it’s ref’s.

33. He deserves a game off. frankly Bill should suspend him even if the league doesn’t.

As for the Steeler troll saying 3 games off, gosh, I wonder what your motivation is?

34. Suspend him for two games without pay and none of this appeal nonsense about reducing punishments from the league and collective bargaining agreement or not.

35. JustBlameTrumpOrRussia says:
    December 3, 2017 at 5:11 pm

—————————————————————————————————————————-
    This has got to be a Steeler fan hoping, wishing, praying this is the year.

36. Patriots have to play against every teams best shot as well as the league and refs conspiring to slow them down.

37. Ironic that so many people are calling what he did dirty and then advocating for people to take Gronk’s knees out in retaliation. You want to call him a scumbag and then root for a potential career-ending injury? Talk about disgusting.

38. In the NHL, there is precedent for a player to be indicted criminally for maliciously assaulting a player with clear intent to inflict grave injury. I think that this is the only case I’ve ever seen in the NFL that rises to that level.
    1) The play was over, the player had his back turned and was laying on the turf.
    2) Gronkowardski took a three-step run and dove on to the player’s head, bringing momentum and his full weight upon the player’s head. Clear attempt to injure. How was this different from the Todd Bertuzzi case?

39. It was a big mistake by Gronk, no question. But Gene Steratore and his crew had a very bad day today and made lots of phantom calls while ignoring other blatant fouls. While watching the game before the Gronk incident I commented that it looked like the officials had met the day before and game-planned what they were going to call and not call, and against who. The frustration that Gronk referred to was totally their fault.

40. The league needs to suspend him for one game but it should probably be for Week 15 against Buffalo unless they want to see the Bills DBs go all Tonya Harding on Gronk’s knees.

41. The Pats fans who say it was the ref’s fault for causing Gronk’s frustration are sickening. Take responsibility for Gronk’s dirty hit like a man already!

42. Screamin a Smith and jemele Hill will be crying racism on Monday, just a heads up
    —–

why are you thinking about them on a sunday evening? seek help.

43. greenbaycousinsistermother says:
    December 3, 2017 at 5:08 pm
    He should be suspended for the rest of the season for a shot like that. That is not football, that’s assault. Sooooooo I fully expect a two-game suspension, reduced to one on appeal.

101 178 Rate This
    ————————————

Seems to be a 101-178 Logical People to Pats Homers ratio on this one.

44. No excuse for the play, but this is what happens when the refs don’t control the game. They let the holding and such get out of hand and expect players to go along with it. Gronk gets mugged all season then gets a BS OPI for doing absolutely nothing. By the time that play in question comes, and he was held his whole route, the frustration level is boiling over.

45. Sure it was dirty. Just like him being mauled on half of his pass routes, then to top it off getting called on a phantom offensive PI.

Let’s clean up the game. BOTH WAYS.

46. josephec says:
    December 3, 2017 at 6:23 pm

—————-
    Well alrighty then. I guess call your lawyer and get crackin’.

47. megamite1972 says:
    December 3, 2017 at 6:33 pm

————————-
    There really would be some justice to having Buffalo be the beneficiary of the suspension (that I do think he deserves). But the Steelers and Dolphins fans arent here fighting for it because they care about Buffalo.

48. skawh says:
    December 3, 2017 at 6:34 pm

——————
    Why should we take responsibility! We didnt do it, we didnt ask him to or want him to, and we are upset he did it. And I do see Pats fans are pretty unanimous that a huge fine is a given and sitting for a game is fair too. I have seen several suggestions from Pats fans that if the league doesnt syspend him Belichick should bench him. They are correct to say the refs created a bad situation, but no one is denying that Gronk is the one that committed the act and that there was no excuse refs or otherwise.

49. skawh says:
    December 3, 2017 at 5:57 pm
    ——————
    Which NFL player would you beat up first?

50. Nofoolnodrool says:
    December 3, 2017 at 5:34 pm
    Wonder what Gedi Master Bill has to say about this punk play? Bet it’s something the dirt bags will tout as gospel.

———————
    Whatever he says I dont think he is going to share it with Steelers so no touting.

51. I love listening to all those cry babies who’s teams get reamed by the Pats. Go Pats! Gronk next time take his head off! (at least you idiots aren’t claiming racism)

52. Pats fans (among them yours truly) and Pats haters – It was a cheap shot, he owned it, he apologized for it and he’ll probably get fined for it, maybe suspended.

Haters – For years I and my fellow Pats fans have been asking you – when you come on line to spew your stuff – to identify the team you root for, so we can reply with some goodies about the team you root for, and I don’t think you ever have.

But – (in most cases) you ARE funny, and for that I thank you.