Antonio Brown talking “karma” after game of brutal hits

AP

If you thought seeing linebacker Ryan Shazier hauled out on a stretcher might have made the Steelers and Bengals a bit circumspect, you were mistaken.

The over-the-line hits and attitude that has come to be almost expected in this rivalry continued throughout the game, and left Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown talking about “karma.”

For starters, Shazier’s still in the hospital with a back injury suffered early in the game. After he left, things did not become more gentle.

Steelers wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster will doubtless be fined after a helmet-to-helmet block on Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict, which was followed by standing over his prone opponent, taunting. The Bengals retaliated later, with safety George Iloka getting his own helmet-to-helmet shot on Antonio Brown.

Asked if that was related to repeat offender of the league’s safety rules Burfict, Brown replied: “I ain’t talking about nobody. Karma is karma. Karma is in life. You do the wrong things, you get the wrong things out of it.”

Burfict was carted off. The Steelers won the game, and the Bengals also lost running back Joe Mixon and cornerback Adam Jones to injuries during the game.

Smith-Schuster’s regret was the taunting, since it cost them a penalty.

“I was just playing to the whistle,” he said. “I didn’t mean to stand over him. I was trying to get a big block for Le'Veon Bell for him to get upfield. The unsportsmanlike conduct is not me. I shouldn’t have done that. I hope he’s OK and I hope he gets better.”

Later in the game, Iloka hit Brown in the end zone after a touchdown, and Brown said: “The guy just left his feet and hit me in the head. Karma for him too. Karma.”

70 responses to “Antonio Brown talking “karma” after game of brutal hits

1. might wanna get all your dances out now, if memory serves, you’ll be doing another disappearing act in the playoffs again

2. Well I used to like Antonio Brown. If you’re gonna “pay the fine” then I guess “Karma” will get you too…. Iloka should be fined and Schuster should be fined and suspended at least a game.

“That’s not me” —— apparently it is. I love when guys say that they didn’t mean it and it isn’t them.

Karma —— look out fellas it’s coming…

3. JuJu if I recall is the youngest player in the NFL. Yet this youngster had enough pride and love for his team mates that he took it upon himself to show the opposition that intentionally injuries will not fly without consequences. Props to you JuJu! Wish you were on my team when Gronk took his cheap shot and wish some of the vets on my team had half the heart you have young man. You tell me if this fellow has gained the respect of his team and fanbase.

4. Via Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com, as Smith-Schuster talked to reporters, Brown kept talking about “karma,” and said he’d pay any fine his young teammate incurred.

Asked if that was related to repeat offender of the league’s safety rules Burfict, Brown replied: “I ain’t talking about nobody. Karma is karma. Karma is in life. You do the wrong things, you get the wrong things out of it.”

Wrong like a hit that could have crippled or killed a player and you are making excuses and paying his fine like an enabling parent covering for their out of control child?

After all that’s been said about Gronk by Steeler fans I expect nothing less than complete contrition. THAT’S Karma Mr Brown.

5. #84 continues to prove to be the most professional receiver in the NFL. The dez’s and obj’ are all second tier cimparted to Antonio.

6. Ask Cam Newton or Maxx Williams or Lev Bell or Antonio Brown or Greg Olsen or etc, etc…if they are surprised Burfict was targeted. The guy had it coming. The ironic part is that a rookie WR supplied the payback.

7. Karma? Seriously? Seems more like standard gang like retaliation. That just keeps going back and forth.

8. So many angles. There were malicious hits both ways so if the NFL is going to punish ‘intent to injure’ both teams have players off next week.

A flip side of this is when two Bengals opted not to lay a hit on Bell, just let him go out of bounds to end the play, and paid for it by giving up a TD. Can you blame them if next time the guy gets put out of bounds with emphasis to make sure?

9. Karma doesnt mean because another guy acts like a jerk you act like a jerk back. Thats just you being a jerk and stooping to his level. There is no defending people like burfict and jones, but their actions dont give you license to act the same way. That isn’t how acting like an adult works.

10. Karma?
    In the 2016 Wild Card game, Burfict was correctly flagged for an illegal SHOULDER-to-helmet hit on a defenseless Antonio Brown. (In the same game, Shazier led with his helmet and concussed Giovani Bernard).
    In the 2015 Bengals win at Heinz Field, the Steelers were upset that Le’Veon Bell was injured on a routine tackle by Burfict.
    Never seen Burfict go helmet-to-helmet on the Steelers, so I don’t understand the “karma” reference.
    Please explain, AB.

11. These players need a lesson in how to apologize, your laid him out and then purposely stood over him and taunted him. Like Gronk who dropped the peoples elbow and somehow explained it away by saying he wasn’t getting flags so what else was he supposed to do?
    JuJu and Gronk haven’t shown a propensity to be dirty players but take some responsibility please.
    I hope Shazier is OK and can go next week versus the Ravens.

12. Those who live in glass houses…

Clearly Antonio doesn’t know much about the steelers history, or maybe he doesn’t really understand the concept of karma. If anything, a whole dose of “karma” is coming the steelers way soon.

13. Karma baby!

This isn’t close to what vontaze does .. juju just blocked him helmet-to-helmet and then just stood over him .. nothing more. remember vontaze purposely grabbing hold of cam newton and greg olson’s ankle and twisting? yeah .. THAT is what is NOT football. KARMA!

14. Are you kidding me, Brown? Karma for what? Blowing up Palmer’s knee? River’s jaw? Huber’s neck? Gio’s head? Every single one dirty shots away from the action intentionally designed to take a player out of the game. You got a glancing blow (he could have ended you if he played for pittsburgh, without a flag) in a playoff game in 2015 and you are saying a hit on Burfict is Karma? You are a supreme talent on the field, but a complete idiot off of it.

15. “You do the wrong things, you get the wrong things out of it.”

Kind of like when you completely give up on the play and let LeVeon Bell waltz past you to score a TD without so much as putting a hand on him. The “don’t want to be flagged for hitting a guy who’s gone out of bounds” thing is a garbage argument, too — you can still get a hand on the guy and try to force him out. Marvin Lewis had to have been utterly beside himself after seeing that crap.

Also, garbage calls by the refs on both sides last night.

16. Look, Burfict is the dirtiest player I have ever seen put on a uniform. He has taken cheap shots on many a player across the league. As a Steeler fan I was disappointed to see Ju Ju stand over him, but if your asking any reasonable person that has watched Butfict play, he got what he deserved.

17. If I was an awful person like Antonio Brown is, I would say that Shazier’s current state is “karma” for his helmet-to-helmet hit on Gio in the playoffs, which knocked Gio unconscious.
    Fortunately, I’m not an awful person like Antonio Brown.

18. Since Brown announced he’d pay Smith-Schuster’s fine, then Smith Schuster should be suspended. Teach him a lesson. The Bengal player needs to be suspended also.

19. stillers6 says:

December 5, 2017 at 9:15 am

——————————————————–

Burfict learned from Hines Ward. A wrong does not make a right.

20. Garbage, pure garbage. The crackback is the easiest killshot move in football. It takes zero guts, virtually without risk, in other words, it is a move for cowards.This team has done this for years. I think their owner is the only reason they are not labeled as the cowardly human filth they actually are. Not saying all players, just the ones who rape and brutalize, and who play the game in a cowardly, chickens**t fashion. Karma? If there was karma James Harrison would be paralyzed for the coward move he made on Kurt Warner, among others. Anyone else remember the coward move by that grinning jackal Ward? That’s not football. Injuries happen, but this kind of stuff is ugly, heinous and the work of vermin raised by animals. Seems they breed them to wear black and gold.

21. by posting at 6:34 am its safe to assume that you shut the tv off because you had to goto bed to get up to go work, not cause of some hit.

wtfru2 says:
    December 5, 2017 at 6:34 am
    Dirtiest most flagged game I’ve ever seen! I shut the tv off after the
    Shuster hit.

22. I guess Shazier’s injury is karma for his helmet-led hit of Giovani Bernard last season.

On the bright side… citizens of Cincinnati at a highly regarded Cincinnati hospital are currently taking care of Shazier.

23. Just going to say that the sequence showed the stupidity of the new ejection rule.

Juju’s hit doesn’t count but the taunting did? That’s insane that Juju could have knocked out at many bengals as possible without being ejected just so long as his didn’t taunt their lifeless corpse.

24. stillers6 says:
    December 5, 2017 at 9:15 am
    ———————-
    I agree with your statement on Burfict, dirtiest playing today (but not ever). I have often thought he should be kick out of the league.

But still you cant condemn Burfict then downplay your own player’s actions at the same time.

25. Love how everyone running down Brown. No mention of model citizen Burfict suspect play. Love also how Burfict showed his faking an injury when even the TV announcers said Burfict wanted restraints off him outside the locker room, wow really hurt bad. Yes was stupid to stand over the player but lets look close to the games these two teams have played, physical hard hitting hate each other games. Sure beats ever game we have seen on Thursday night football. Aiekman wants to run his bias mouth on the game being an embarrassment to the NFL.I have no horse in the race but the Bengals have allowed the Steelers in their heads, last nigh 17-0 and lost shows the mentality. Karma is a good word for this rivalry with the types hits on both side of the ball. No one mentioned the field goal kick stopped for off sides and the Bengal stops and pushes his leg at the kicker, class all the way. That was karma when field goal watched the sad players and fans faces after another come from behind victory on their field.

26. Maybe he’s got a point. Shazier led with the crown of his helmet and ended up in the hospital. But I doubt that’s what Swami Brown meant.

27. Ejections are the only answer to this problem.

THe League won’t do that, for whatever reason.

.. well, the reason is clear; THEY DON’T CARE! Sad that we as fans DO while they do not.

1 more reason to stop watching.

28. bounties out

goodell will do nothing
    =====

He’ll find a way to strip Patriots of draft picks for this outrage.

And the masses will love him for it.

29. grant35 says:

December 5, 2017 at 8:01 am

What did Burfict do to Bell?

Thankfully Mike Mitchell, the worst headhunter of them all, didn’t play.

Personally, I don’t have an issue with Smith-Shuster’s hit, however, it’s funny to me that he acted all tough after hitting a guy who didn’t see him. Fair enough though. They will see each other twice next year. I will give him credit for apologizing though. On a side note, why did the refs only enforce one of the flags on that hit and not both? Isn’t taunting a dead ball foul and thus, AFTER the play?? That’s 30 yards instead of 15.

30. rgorr44 says:

December 5, 2017 at 8:24 am

Karma? Shazier, Harrison, Ryan Clark, Hines Ward, etc. and your talking karma?

You forgot Kimo von Oehlhoffen and Mike Mitchell.

31. stillers6 says:

December 5, 2017 at 9:15 am

You must not watch your Steelers because Mike Mitchell is the dirtiest player in the NFL and has been for a long time.

32. If Brown is going to talk about karma, he needs to remember that it works BOTH ways. These hits and dirty plays need to stop. What message is he sending Smith-Schuster, a rookie who thinks Brown is God, by paying his fines? It’s the WRONG message. Whether it’s Gronk, Burfict, Smith-Schuster, Trevethan…this is out of control. Take your punishment,and use better judgement.

33. melikefootball says:

December 5, 2017 at 10:07 am

What did Burfict do last night that was “suspect” play?

“Faking” his injury? You mean the one where he was the victim of a cheap-shot helmet to helmet hit? You don’t think that after a few minutes he could feel a little better and wanted to get back on the field? Speaking of faking it, looks to me that Antonio Brown made a miraculous recovery after pre-game warmups. I thought only Roethlisberger faked injuries.

34. aarons444 says:

December 5, 2017 at 10:26 am

Ejections are the only answer to this problem.

THe League won’t do that, for whatever reason.

1 more reason to stop watching.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And the league will show further hypocrisy when they once again show a Bengals-Steelers game on a Sunday or Monday night. Cha-ching!

35. I thought Smith-Schuster’s block was quality hard-nosed old school football. I know, I know, it has no place in today’s game, but woooooooooo woo it made me jump out of my seat. That was a chest beating, adrenaline jolting hit.

Now the wimps can go back to crying about “classless” and “idiots” and blah blah blah.

I think I’ll go watch it again. What rivalries are made of.

36. I’m confused, Shazier knocked himself out of the game.

The Steelers knocked Mixon out of the game.

Schuster knocked Burfict out of the game.

That’s ALL Steelers that did the laying out.

…the Bengal allowed Bell to get to the end zone without knocking him out of bounds.

So what’s with the ‘karma’ BS?

37. I didn’t hear any Bengals players say karma for Shazier getting injured for what he did to Gio in the playoffs. Might not like Shazier but I don’t like seeing anyone getting stretchered out like that with a potentially serious injury. At least the whole nation gets to see all the Steeler scum they have on their team.

38. Of course PFT, and it’s Steelers favoritism ways, will never allow this post. EVEN THOUGH IT IS 100% Fact and Truth:
    No matter how bad things EVER get on field between the Steelers and the Bengals. The Bengals, via Levi Jones, will always have the upper hand on the Steelers and Joey Porter for when Jones paid a prostitute to go meet up at his room in Vegas. The married with kids, Joey Porter, accepted the hooker into his room. Got some oral service. Went to take it to the next level, disrobed the hooker and it was a DUDE! Went down with his crew and beat the heck out of Levi Jones (on crutches the week after surgery) at the casino. Joey Porter, no matter what, you will always lose because of that.